Fan Fiction ❯ Treasure ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Treasure

Prologue

Several hundred years ago, there existed much more land than our kingdom of Kundou. The Utopian kingdom Ryugouku stretched on endlessly, a kingdom that was a beautiful blending of earth and water, where landfolk and seafolk lived together in contentment. This land was ruled over by three gods, the Dragons of the Three Storms. They were mighty brothers who ruled kindly and well, until a mysterious falling out with the people they ruled. To this day, no one knows what caused the breach, but in their rage, the Dragons destroyed most of Ryugouku.

In fear, the seafolk fled to the depths of the storm wild sea. The remaining landfolk huddled on the few bits of land left, cowering in fear and hiding inside the earth until the Storms abated. This is how the landfolk lived for many days, until one brave man ventured out to face the Dragons and beg them to cease their raging. The people did not expect to see him again.

Only seven days later, the man returned even as the watchmen began to send out cries that the Storms were slowing, the waters calming. The people gathered ecstatically around the man, stroking and marveling at his hair, which was not brown as it had been when he had departed, but a pure, smooth blue that called to mind rippling waves or the scales of a dragon dripping with seawater and shining in the sunlight.

Though the people drowned him with questions, he would say only that he had persuaded the dragons to cease their raging and leave this place. Though angry, the Dragons were also saddened over what they had done to their own kingdom. However, even their regret would not persuade them to return. Instead, they bestowed a portion of their power on the one individual brave enough to face them in their own Storms.

Awed by the events the man related, the people declared he must be their new king. The man's name was Taiheiyou, and to this day, the blue-haired kings of Kundou take this name when they are crowned. The three gods departed and legends say they live on a remote island somewhere far off in the forgotten parts of the vast sea. In honor of the gods with whom they had fallen out of favor, the three islands of Kundou were named after them: Tsunami the main island, and the smaller islands of Typhoon and Arashi. Their final blessing to the people they once loved was a gift of good weather around Kundou-no storm ever rages across the islands, and thus will it remain unless the people ever forget their devotion and respect for the Dragons of the Three Storms.

*~*~*

"Thank you anyway, Sir Merchant. May the Three Storms favor you." Takara smiled politely at the pudgy silk-swathed merchant as the man took his leave. As soon as the door had clicked shut, Takara fell back bonelessly into his chair, rubbing a hand tiredly across his forehead.

"You went rather easy on that one, don't you think?" the voice was neither warm nor cool, but a timbre that was somehow a soothing in between-or would be, if Takara's practiced ears didn't pick up on the annoyance in it. He turned to look at the speaker, who was seated with precise care on a satin chaise below the fine picture window overlooking the ocean that surrounded most of the palace. He was renowned through the kingdom for his beauty, remarkable even in a family known for its stunning looks. His thigh length hair was loose today, the ocean blue tresses glinting with the jeweled beads woven at random throughout them. His skin was tanned golden, bringing his fierce blue green eyes to life. His features were elegant but strong; he would never be described as soft. But much beauty was lost in the presence of the slight scowl that twisted his otherwise generous lips.

"I am sorry if it appeared so, Prince. He was not going to assist us; it was clear from the start. I did not feel it necessary to waste our time." Takara reached up to pull silver spectacles from his face, tossing them lightly on top of the numerous papers still piled neatly on his desk. Lost in thought, he tugged absently at a strand of his own sea green hair, playing with the amber bead fastened near the end of it.

Grudgingly the blue haired man nodded his understanding, rising with liquid grace from his seat and striding over to the desk. A breeze from the open window drifted through the room, disturbing the papers and ruffling the sleeves of his billowing white shirt. His hand darted out to prevent the papers scattering, moving only as Takara rested an ornate weight of sea glass in its place.

"Takara, this is not going at all well. I do not care what it takes, the next man will agree to assist us." He frowned, examining the lists and files piled across the desk, information and statistics for the various merchants and captains that were most likely to accept their request. He started to speak, but a sharp knock indicated that their next possibility had arrived. Returning the papers to their respective piles, the prince returned to his chaise and calling permission to enter.

Takara examined the latest arrival with care as he slid his spectacles back into his place, narrowing his storm gray eyes in thought. The man looked familiar, but he could not recall where me might have encountered the figure that was bowing politely to the Prince before standing politely before the desk.

He was handsome, Takara could not help but notice. He had unusually fine features for a merchant, with a deep tan but none of the wrinkles that came with a life spent mostly at sea. He was young, he could not be much older than Takara's own 23 years. Most of his hair was hidden by a scarf placed over the top of his head and tied in the back; a style common to merchants. The scarf was made of fine linen, in an abstract pattern of maroon and navy blue, woven through with shots of gold thread. The hair he had initially thought was black, he could now see was actually an incredibly dark blue. With most of his hair tucked up, his earrings were easy to see. Three jewel studs decorated each ear, each one a different color.

Loose pants were tucked into well-made brown leather boots, though they were mostly lost in the folds of the long, maroon colored tunic he wore. A sash of maroon, green, and beige in an abstract pattern was fastened loosely around his waist, making it easy to stash money, valuables, or even a dagger. The scooped collar of the robe bared the man's throat, and displayed the triple row of slender gold chain that wrapped around it. Secured to the rows of gold was a small medallion bearing the scale motif that was the mark of merchants.

Shaking away his stray thoughts, Takara brought his focus back to the problem at hand. "Please have a seat, Sir Merchant." Takara examined the sheet of paper in front of him, "Your name is Shimano Raiden, yes? I believe you recognize his imperial highness, Prince Nankyokukai.

The merchant nodded, rising again briefly to bow once more to the prince. Takura resumed speaking, "I am Takara Noumi, Prince Nankyokukai's personal secretary. We invited you here to ask a special favor for you." He lifted his gaze from his papers to the man seated across from him, surprised to see the man was staring straight at him with a smile that was…he would almost say leering, if it wasn't such an absurd idea. He was further startled as the merchant began to speak. His voice was low, smooth.

"I have heard a bit about it from those that preceded me, though all they have stated was that it was a fool's journey." Raiden stared straight at the secretary, smile widening. "I confess I'm rather curious about the whole affair."

Takara frowned, both at the smile and the knowledge that the merchants were talking despite strict orders to avoid doing so. He slid a glance to the prince, who only nodded. The merchants would be dealt with. Takara turned back to the smiling merchant, "Well then Sir Raiden, listen closely. Prince Nankyokukai and I have been charged with a special mission, one which prevents our utilizing royal ships. We require a ship to escort us to these coordinates," the secretary rose, moving toward a map pinned to the western wall. He motioned the merchant over, indicating a red marker set near the center of a vast quadrant of blue.

The merchant's eyebrows lifted, the only sign of his surprise at the location. It was literally in the middle of nowhere. "That location is at least…five months away. Of course, that's assuming no mishaps occur. The seas out that way are particularly rough."

Takara nodded, please with the response. "Six months, to be exact. I realize it's difficult, and long on top of that. That is why his Royal Majesty is offering 1 million paaru to whomever is willing to except the mission."

The merchant had stopped smiling, lost in thought. "Hmm…I understand why my fellows were so reluctant to accept the job. That's at least a year at sea, with no relief or breaks at all. Trips like that have a history of driving the crew insane. On top of that, there's all the business lost-of course, the money you're offering is more than enough to make up for it. Still…"

Takara fought to keep the frustration from his face, "So you are not interested in taking the assignment?"

That odd smile from before returned, and Takara again found himself wondering what it meant. "I did not say that. Only, I would like to modify the reward slightly."

Takara's face brightened noticeably despite his desire to remain expressionless, "Modify? In what way?"

The merchant ignored the question, "I remember you, Lord Takara, from the auction three months ago. Are you still upset that you lost that necklace to me?"

The secretary bristled as he finally recalled where he had seen the merchant before, displeasure deepening the color of his eyes as he glared at the smirking merchant, "That has nothing to do with our current discussion, Sir Merchant. What terms would persuade you to agree to assist us?"

Raiden's smile said that he was laughing silently, and that he knew exactly how annoyed the secretary was with him. He did not seem to mind, "I want half that money in actual paaru-500,000. That I would like to be given to my captain, since he is as involved in the decision as I am. He will gladly do whatever I ask of him, nevertheless I feel he should receive the same compensation as I."

"…Very well, as you say. It is your money after all. And the other half you would like in the form of…?" Takara raised one eyebrow, still glaring slightly at the man standing before him.

"The other half I want in the form of-you."

Takara gaped at the man for several heartbeats, not quite sure he had heard correctly. He decided he could not have. "Excuse me?"

"I want you as the rest of my payment-for the extent of the journey. That is my deal."

Takura was afraid he had heard correctly the first time. "That is impossible. You are out of your mind, Merchant. I want you-"

"Agree Takara," the princes interrupted, rising from his chaise, one hand on his hip.

"Majesty! You cannot be serious!"

"I told you Takara, to do whatever was necessary to get the next merchant to agree. Did I not? He has stated his terms, you will agree to them."

Takara only stared, not able to comprehend anything about the situation. The prince and he frequently clashed but this… "I see, Majesty. As you wish." He turned his flat expression on the smirking Raiden. "You have you terms, Lord Raiden. If you and your captain will report here tomorrow at this time, the contracts will be ready for signing."

Raiden grinned outright, "Excellent." In a sudden burst of movement, he reached out to grasp Takara's shoulders, hauling him close and crushing Takara's lips with his own. The kiss was over before the secretary could recover from his shock. "I'll see you tomorrow then, Lord Takara." Laughing, Raiden strolled across the office and out the door.

Flushed with shame and consternation, Takara whirled to face the prince, who was laughing loudly with the merchant gone. "How could you do that, Kyo? I know your anxious to be finished, but that was too much. I'm not a whore or slave to be sold at your convenience."

Nankyokukai was still laughing as he replied with cold eyes, "You're my servant Takara, and you'll do as I say. Besides, the way you were staring at him I'd wager you don't find the idea all that awful. You didn't tell me you had an admirer like that, I don't give you enough credit." Strolling toward the back of the office, he opened the door that led to his bedchamber. "I'm glad that's taken care of. If anyone else needs me, tell them it can wait. After this day of tedium, I feel the need for a nap." His laughter echoed down the hall.

"…Yes, Prince," anger growing, Takara somehow managed to keep his temper until the laughing prince had departed. The door clicked shut and it took all of his will power to avoid smashing random objects. Instead he only glared at the view out the window, forcing himself to calm. His eyes shimmered briefly for a moment, like sunlight reflecting off a dark sea. Suddenly he felt the need for a long, exhausting swim.