Fan Fiction ❯ Waiting ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

Waiting
 
****************************
I wrote this story in about an hour in class. I figured I would put it up, just because I need some feedback on it - someone other than my teacher and friends. It's really short, only 198 words. But I like it anyways. Please review!
Thanks,
BananaGurl
****************************
 
She sits there, waiting. Waiting for the day he comes home. Home from the war. The terrible war that killed her father, killed her husband, killed her son, and now here she is. Still waiting for her last remaining male relative to come home. Twenty-six years she's sat by the window. Waiting. Her hair long and brown - a dull chestnut - , her clothing old, faded, and outdated.
 
Another day passes, and several men walk by her house. She sits up eagerly, hoping it's him, but slumps down after all of them pass by, all ignoring her walkway. Finally, a man comes up the walkway. The mailman. He looks strangely different than the regular mailman. A noise at the door; the mailbox opening, then closing.
A knock at the door. She knows the mailman hasn't left her front deck yet, so it must be him. She pushes herself up, out of the chair. She grabs a gnarled, ugly stick that serves as a cane, even though she is only in her early forties. She heads to the door, slowly, but fast enough for her.
Opening the lock. Locking it again, unsure of what news awaits her. The mailman never knocks on the door. Unlocking it again, finally, opening the door.
The man looks at the woman, gives her a hug. “I'm home, sis. I'm really home.”