Fan Fiction ❯ Who am I ❯ the first conflict ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own X men or Harry Potter because if I did I would be richer than the Queen of England

~

Harry slept uneasily that day, he had the strangest dream where he was flying in midair supported by a broom dodging other people on brooms, some were dressed in red, the others in yellow, while looking for something, then he caught a flash of gold and raced after it his hand outstretched to catch the golden object in front of him that he chased without knowing why. His hand was inches from it and he was going to catch it then Maggie shook him awake.

She whispered "come on, the sun is going down, we should get ready to go back to the building"

Harry blinked the sleep out of his eyes and forgot the dream entirely and got up to see Maggie poking her head out of the hole to the street to see if the coast was clear. Then Harry's stomach growled loudly and Maggie jerked her head down and replaced the trashcan.

"Should be all dark soon," said Maggie edging over to her backpack "then we can leave and check the building, you hungry by the way, I have a little something". She then rummaged through the pack and withdrew a crinkled and almost empty bag of chips "you can finish them, I prefer meat, tomorrow we can steal some food and better cloths, those stick out to much" she added pointing at Harry's robes.

Harry grabbed and muttered "thanks" and began wolfing down the chips all dignity forgotten in his hunger. Maggie chuckled a bit and then hissed and began scratching her shoulders furiously. Harry had finished the meager bag of chips asked, "what are you doing?"

Maggie continued to scratch her self and answered, "I have fleas, and they itch like crazy, and I can't exactly go to the nearest pharmacy and ask for flea powder, so I cant do much other than itch at them". They sat in silence waiting for the sun to go down punctured by Maggie scratching her fleas, then without warning Maggie asked, "Do you remember how you got that?"

"Got what" Harry asked.

"That scar" said Maggie pointing at his face "that looks like it was nasty when it happened, like someone took a knife and carved a zigzag in your forehead."

"Huh" Harry muttered and felt his forehead and ran his fingers along a scar that ran along the center of his forehead, it zigzagged back and forth but he couldn't remember how he got it. He shook his head and answered "no I don't remember where I got it, but that's not much different about the rest of myself so no surprise their."

"Yea" repeated Maggie vaguely "no surprise there" and they sat for about 45 minuets before Maggie walked over to the hole and poked her head out then looked down and said "time to go, it's dark enough now" and she hoisted herself out of the hole. Harry crawled over and Maggie helped him out of the hole and they walked back to the building where Harry escaped.

They walked for about 30 minuets until they got back to the building that stood silent next to the other buildings hardly indistinguishable from the other and Harry would have passed it by if Maggie hadn't walked over and whispered "this is the place, come on, up the fire escape."

"How are you sure this is the place?" Harry asked as Maggie looked up at the fire escape and the ladder that was pulled up out of reach.

"Because it smells like you," she answered jumping up and grabbing the ladder and it slid down with a screech and a bang. They winced at the noise and quickly hid from sight.

While they hid in case they were heard Harry whispered, "what do you mean it smells like me?"

"Every person has a distinct smell" Maggie whispered back "and since I mutated I can pick up those smells, plus I see better in the dark but my vision is all funny, like looking through a infer-red camera with a tinted lens is how I can best describe it, looks like no one heard us so lets keep going" so she stood up and walked back to the fire, but just then Harry noticed that Maggie was limping. Rather than risk being heard by asking her about it they climbed the fire escape that zigzagged up the building almost to the top. They stopped near the top where there was a window that was impossible for Harry to see through because of the darkness but Maggie peered in and whispered "all clear" and lifted the window up breaking the lock with a snap.

Then Maggie turned to him and whispered, "Now you stay here, I'm much more experienced in sneaking around and your not exactly the quietest walker so let me look around and you stay here" and before Harry could argue she slipped into the window and disappeared into the gloom.

~

Maggie crawled on all fours silently slithering from room to room looking for signs of life and any clues to Harry. All her senses were sharpened and her camouflage could be activated at the first sigh of danger. She scoured the top floor but didn't find anything other than dust so Maggie went down another floor. She crawled about t steps into the room when her nose picked up the pungent sent of some sort of chemicals and she followed her nose to the first floor to a side room where the chemicals almost overpowered her and she sneezed to remove the offensive odor from her nostrils.

But after she sneezed she heard a voice inside the room she was about to enter. Maggie started and backed into the shadow of a wall and she turned on her camouflage and remained motionless making her impossible to spot. A man stepped through the doorway and looked around for the source of the noise, he looked let and right and pared in the nearby doorways but found nothing.

Then a slightly sneering voice floated from the room that the man had just come from "you find anything Lupin, because I've got the sample" than the source of the voice walked out of the room followed by another man.

Even with Maggie's altered vision she could see that his hair was a vivid red the red headed man told Lupin "we got what's left of the potion, Severus can find out what it dose back at headquarters, did you find anything Lupin?"

"No Arthur I didn't" answered Lupin "looks like the noise was just the building creaking or something lets go look for stuff upstairs." And all three men walked upstairs and out of sight.

Maggie dropped her camouflage once the three dropped out of her hearing range and crept out of the shadow and over to the room the three men just vacated. She took a steadying breath and crawled into the room the only things to be found was a stain on the floor and a iron looking bowl on it's side with a wooden spoon laying besides it. The offending odor came from the bowl and upon closer inspection showed nothing was left of its contents other than a few drops. Since nothing was left in the room other than an overpowering odor Maggie crawled out of the room and gulped in the fresh air. Then her eyes caught something in the floor, it was a wider indent in the wood paneling than all the other cracks.

Upon closer inspection it reveled that the wider crack ran in a complete rectangle over a board. Maggie dug her nails into the crack and pulled the board up reveling a small storage space in the floor. Maggie reached in and began pulling up many bottles full of powders and liquids that she couldn't identify. She uncorked one bottle of powder and a wonderful smell crept up her nostrils, she inhaled deeply and a feeling of contentment filled her to her bones. She recorked the bottle and put it aside and opened another bottle with interest, but the contents were completely odorless so she was slightly disappointed. But when she reached for the cork it rolled back into the hole, Maggie reached in to grab it but felt the rustle of paper; she picked up the solitary piece of oddly thick paper.

She smiled at her find and was about to read it when a slightly horse voice said behind her "I wouldn't move if I were you." Maggie turned slowly around and saw all three of the men she saw before standing aligned behind her pointing something at her and to Maggie it looked very much like the barrel of a gun. Maggie began to growl and pulled back her lips in a snarl showing of all of her jaggedly sharp teeth.

Maggie leapt at the men growling like a while animal but they stopped her assault by yelling in unison "Stupefy" and Maggie was blasted backwards, slammed into the opposite wall and slid onto the floor, knocked out. The read-hared man immediately strode forward and examined the limp form of Maggie; he looked at her with interest and said to his partners "you ever see anything like this Lupin, what kind of a creature is it?"

"That is no creature I have ever seen or heard of Arthur," replied Lupin is his horse voice "but Dumbledore reads the muggle papers, and he mentioned at one point that the American government was in an uproar over these mutants that are popping up all over the country, this might be one of them" he gestured at Maggie.

"So this is a muggle" exclaimed Arthur excitedly "and a mutant one at that, how fascinating I wonder-"

"I think we should be wondering what something like that was doing here," interrupted Severus "and what she was doing in position of these ingredients" and he gestured at the bottles spread out round the compartment in the floor. "Some of these ingredients are not something you would find in you average muggle's possession."

"What kinds of things were in the hole?" said Arthur in interest as he strode away from Maggie and gather around the hole with Lupin.

"From just looking" started Severus picking up a few bottles "this is evidently, Veritaserum, and this bottle is full out crystallized unicorn blood, there are amounts of powdered dragon claw but the others I cant identify without further equipment."

"But can Veritaserum work on muggles" inquired Lupin "because if it can we can use it to find out what this particular muggle was doing here" he then turned to look at Maggie but shouted "SHE'S GONE!" and sure enough the spot that had recently held an KO'd mutant was vacant.

Then an evil sounding cackle filled the room and all three of the men raised their weapons, as the laughing grew louder. Then a taunting voice replaced the laughter "three stupid men all in a row, which one will be first to go."

Severus yelled back "well come and make us go you freak!"

The voice echoed back "I know who will go first, and they better watch their back." Then Maggie leapt out of the shadows and onto Severus's back and bit down hard on his neck! He screamed in agony as his jugular vain was punctured spreading blood all over both of them. The sound of his collarbone breaking because of the force caused another yell of agony. Both Arthur and Lupin tried to help but they couldn't fire a spell without hitting Severus, then he stopped flailing and began to collapse from blood loss. Maggie removed her teeth and leapt back away from the fallen figure, her face and shirt was caked with fresh blood and she was smiling widely as Lupin and Arthur kneeled down next to their partner who had gone into shock. She chuckled slightly so they both turned and raised their weapons again. She merely licked the blood off her lips and said offhandedly "Baka" and ran on two legs up the stairs.

Lupin started after her yelling back "get Severus help now" her ran up the stairs and followed her up to the third floor he chased her down a hall and saw her leap out a window. He ran towards the window and had just reached it when a heavy metal object connected to his forehead with a bang and sent him stumbling backwards. Before he blacked out he caught a glimpse of the person who had hit him with the metal object, it was a face he knew all to well and the last person he would expect to be at the other end of the pipe, Harry.

~

So what do you think huh huh is it good or not, tell me.