Fan Fiction ❯ Wings Of Silk: A Lenus Tale ❯ A Debt Never Paid ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Update!: I'm sorry that I kept you guys waiting for so long! I've been playing The Legend Of Dragoon latelyJ Okay, so Meru and Shana just encountered a horrible beast. Meru begins to recall how she met Lenus. So far, we know that if not for Lenus, poor Meru would be dead now. Enjoy!

Chapter 4: A Debt Never Paid

"Well actually, my little zoning out episode has a lot of explaining tied to it." Meru tells Shana. "Well it's still early and we've got plenty of time. Let's take a break." Shana says. Meru and Shana walk over to a gigantic tree stump and sit down to rest. Shana places her bow over her back again and lies on her side. "Please tell me what happened." She says. Meru started to speak. "I actually owe my life to Lenus……" After fifteen minutes of explaing, Shana now knows why Lenus was so important to Meru.

"So she saved you from all those humans and then what happened?" Shana asked curiously. Meru looked to the sky and began to flash back to that time. Her time with Lenus. "After that,…….." Lenus walks to the edge of the cliff and looks over the side. She kicks a stone down the steep cliff as she asks her next question. "So, what are you doing in the human world?" Meru looked in the direction of the Wingly Forest and said "Well, I ran away. Sort of. I came to this place to see if humans had changed. Guess not."

Lenus laughed to herself. "This is not the place to be. You should go back home." Meru looked to the floor and said

"That's actually a funny story. I really don't think that I have a home to come back to. At least that's what my father said."

"You mean to tell me that your father disowned his own flesh and blood?! What a fool!" Lenus was obviously angered. Meru looked at her strangely. "It looks like you've been through the same experience." Meru said. "Yeah. It happened to me too. My parents hate me, and they hope they never see my face again." Lenus had tears in her eyes. "You know what?" Lenus said, her voice shaky. "Why don't we stick together? This place is definitely big enough for the two of us. Whadaya say?" Meru looked back to her forest and shrugged her shoulders. "Why not?" The two shook hands. Lenus sprouted her wings from her back and said in a commanding voice "Let's go." She flew down the cliff and landed on a tree top below. Meru looked back to her forest and whispered to herself "Guaraha…..I'll be back for you. I promise." She picked up her mallet and sprouted her wings as well. "Hey, you comin' or what?" She heard Lenus yell from below. "Yeah, I'm coming!" With that, she jumped down the cliff towards Lenus.

"Where to?" Meru said to Lenus. "Well, I was going to show you where I live. Is that okay with you?" Meru nodded. "Okay, follow me." Meru followed Lenus as they glided through the sky. As they flew, Meru saw Lenus point down beneath them. When Meru looked down, she saw the group of humans nursing their wounds, looking scarred stiff. Twenty minutes later, Lenus started to descend to some tree tops below. With one glance over her shoulder, Lenus made sure that Meru was still there. Meru smiled and waved back to her and began to descend as well. Lenus motioned with her hands for the tree tops to spread open and sure enough, they split. Lenus held them open long enough for Meru to enter afterwards.

"Welcome to my home Meru. It's not much but…." Lenus allowed Meru to wander about. She was as curious as ever. Meru thought to herself. The greenery is barren. Trees, dead and droopy. Bushes, withered. She was wise to pick this hiding spot. Nobody and I mean nobody, would ever want to wander around in here. It must be very dark at night, due to the trees above. She's smart, I'll give her that. "I live in that cave, just ahead." Lenus said. She began to walk towards the cave, Meru following closely. As soon as they walked into the cave, Lenus threw a blue fireball around the cave. The fireball brushed candlesticks nearby, illuminating the cave with an eerie blue glow. "Make yourself at home." Lenus said.

Small drops on water landed on Meru's shoulder. It felt so damp in here, Meru had no clue how Lenus could live like this. " I know what you're thinking." Lenus said. Meru turned to her to hear what she had to say. " You're thinking that I'm not living a life. That I would probably be better off dead. I mean, who would chose THIS over death?" Meru sympathized for Lenus and told her " No Lenus. I actually admire you. You had a hard time and so you became independent. You have your own little hideout and you're still alive. That takes guts." Lenus apparently was shocked by her answer.

" Well, I admire you too Meru. You remind me so much of myself." Lenus said. Meru started to come back to the present. Shana sat in front of her with a listening look on her face." I just feel bad. After everything that Lenus did for me, I was actually one of the people responsible for her death. I never paid back my debt to her…" Shana said " Meru, in my opinion, the both of you were brave souls. If that was me, I might have just given up. You've become someone who knows what she wants, but always adds in the joy and laughter. I'm sure that Lenus enjoyed her life more when you were around. So yes, you did pay back your debt to her." To hear that coming from Shana was like music to her ears. Over the time they both knew each other, Shana had started to become Meru's big sister icon. " Thank you Shana." Shana slid off of the tree stump and helped Meru up. " C'mon let's go on. On the way, we will continue our conversation."

Author's Note: Okay, so this is a short chapter. It basically is just supposed to show how Meru feels about Lenus. But more is to come! What do you think of it so far?