Fan Fiction ❯ Written in the Stars ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]
Title: Written in the Stars
Author: Sailor Bluestar
Pairing: ?/Legolas - pick whomever you want to chase after him
Rating: G
Warning: songfic, POV, angst
Disclaimers: The song 'Written in the Stars' is written by Elton John and sung by LeAnn Rimes and Elton John. No matter how much I try, Legolas will never belong to me. He belongs to J.R.R. Tolkien. A pity...
Archive: Otaku no Honden @ http://ainoanime.cjb.net or http://otakunohonden.cjb.net and if you want to archive, just ask. I doubt I'd deny you.

~Written in the Stars~

I find you staring up into the night sky at the stars. The moonlight gives you an unearthly glow, turning your skin into absolute marble and your hair an almost silvery gold. As you stare up at the stars, I cannot help but think of you as a star itself. You stare at your brethren. You belong there in the heavens. The things I want to tell you, I fear I may drive you to them in your grief.

/I am here to tell you we can never meet again
Simple really, isn't it? A word or two and then
A lifetime of not knowing where or how or why or when
You think of me or speak of me or wonder what befell
The someone you once loved so long ago, so well/

Do you know what I fear most my darling golden star? I fear that one day you will grow tire of me and walk away. I fear that all that we have is a joke to you. You have all eternity to spread that wonderful light that is only you, you need not spend eternity with me. But when I look into your beautiful eyes, I know that my fears are false. You love me with every part of your being. Separation is impossible for your heart to conceive. Your heart is so pure, it astonishes me that you love me, over all others who would be a far better choice for you. Me!

/Never wonder what I'll feel as living shuffles by
You don't have to ask me and I need not reply
Every moment of my life from now until I die
I will think or dream of you and fail to understand
How a perfect love can be confounded out of hand/

Even though we didn't say a word to anyone, somehow they always knew that we were together. Somehow they picked up on our shared happiness. They didn't condemn us for our love neither. They welcomed it with open arms and with no prejudice and disgrace. It is ever so refreshing, but alas, there are some who silently scorn our love. And perhaps it is better that we do not be together as we so long for. It is for the best my love.

And as I utter those words which condemn our hearts to solitude, I watched as your eyes speaks of your inner emotions, while your face reveals nothing but icy coldness. I see hurt mixed with confusion before they transform into frustration and anger. No matter how hard you use anger to hide your deepest secrets, I still see hurt, betrayal and love behind it all. I watch as you turn from me and run out into the forest, like a woodland nymph, but with sorrow trailing in your wake.

/Is it written in the stars?/

When you next look at the stars, will you think of me. Will you see my selfish and possibly foolish reasons within the sparkling comforts of your brethren?

/Are we paying for some crime?/

What have we done in our previous lives to make people scorn our love so? I realize that we cannot please everyone, but some of our dearest friends do not understand the bond in which we share.

/Is that all that we are good for
Just a stretch of mortal time?/

I can only hope that in our next lifetime, things will be better for us both. I hate to bring you heartache my golden star.

/Is this some god's experiment
In which we have no say?
In which we're given paradise
But only for a day/

What have we done before to irk Fate so that she would laugh in our faces now? Such mockery of our destiny would she do this to us. To glimpse our paradise and then take it away is too cruel for words to express properly. I promise you Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood, I will find you and make sure Destiny will be victorious.

/Nothing can be altered, there is nothing to decide
No escape, no change of heart, nor any place to hide
You are all I'll ever want but this I am denied
Sometimes in my darkest thoughts I wish I'd never learned
What is to be in love and have that love returned/

They claim that it is better to have loved and lost, than to never to have loved at all. In most things, it rings oh so true. You have given me a great light to remember in my darkest of days. I remember the times we spent together in happiness, regardless of how brief. Yet, in the deepest of my despair, often I wish to never have had a taste of you. To know what I have lost and yearn for it like a addict waiting for another moment with their obsession.

/Is it written in the stars?/

Tell me, what it is you see when your eyes turn towards the heavens.

/Are we paying for some crime?/

Do you see our fate? Or our destiny?

/Is that all that we are good for
Just a stretch of mortal time?/

Why must we suffer so? Hasn't our lives been broken enough?

/Is this some god's experiment
In which we have no say?
In which we're given paradise
But only for a day/

If only I could turn back time, armed with what I have discovered. I would ensure that we would be able to be together, forever. I cannot help but remember the blessed days we spent together. And selfishly, I want more of them, but I cannot. Oh how foolhardy I be.

/Is this some god's experiment
In which we have no say?
In which we're given paradise
But only for a day/

They say that if love is true, then if you let it go, they shall return to you. And so here I am. I am letting you go. Perhaps Fate will be merciful and grant us love in this lifetime, rather than in the next. I shall pray to your heavenly brethren for that moment when my heart will find peace once more.

OWARI (END)