Fan Fiction ❯ Yume ❯ Dream ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Fandom: Kingdom Hearts
Pairing: Riku/Sora
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Characters aren't mine. Boohoo.
Spoilers: Minimal.
Note: Advent Calendar Day 4: December 4th
Theme: Christmas Tree

Yume
by Elsewhere
elsewherecw@shaw.ca

Summary: Riku and Sora pick their first Christmas tree.

*****

He got to the Christmas tree lot really late, nearly an hour after the time they'd agreed on. As he wandered through the rows of neatly bundled trees in varying sizes, the sweet smell of pine assaulting him from all sides, he rubbed his hands to keep them warm and contemplated how badly he'd probably be snapped at by his boyfriend. He spotted him quickly enough, in one corner of the lot admiring a particularly tall tree, arms folded and foot tapping.

"Sorry," Sora said sheepishly as he approached, hands now stuffed in his pockets. "I slept through my alarm, and it took forever for my parents to wake me up..."

Riku said nothing, still staring silently at the tree.

"Look, I said I was sorry," Sora said uncomfortably, shifting and fidgeting in place as he continued to be ignored.

"Hm?" Riku turned, and his eyes finally registered Sora. "Oh, hey...where were you?"

"You didn't hear me just now?" Sora said, lifting his eyebrows.

"No...sorry. I was lost in thought," Riku said, and then he smirked. "Bet you slept through your alarm again, right?"

"Yeah, you'd win that bet," Sora said with a smile. "Sorry, Riku."

"It's okay...I'm used to it," Riku said, reaching out a hand which Sora took eagerly, keen for both the warmth and the companionship. "What d'you think of this one?"

Sora peered at the tree thoughtfully as he rested his chin against Riku's shoulder.

"I think it'd do just fine. It's nice and big," Sora said with a grin.

"Great...then let's take it and get out of here. It's cold as hell," Riku said, and Sora laughed. "Here, help me carry it..."

They stood in line for a while before they finally paid for the tree. Sora helped Riku secure the tree to the top of Riku's car, and they headed for the apartment where Riku had been living alone since he'd moved out of his parents' house earlier that year.

Getting the tree up into the apartment, which was on the top floor, was the most difficult step. By the time they'd finally hauled it into Riku's living room and gotten it secured with a base, a breadcrumb-line of pine needles was scattered all along the apartment building corridor, culminating in a rather large pile in the elevator.

"Jeez, I didn't think that'd be such hard work," Sora said with a snort as he flopped onto Riku's couch, not bothering to take off his coat. "And jeez, Riku, it's cold in here! Don't you have any heat!?"

"It's not working too well lately," Riku said with a sigh, walking over to the nearest radiator vent and pounding it, more out of frustration than any particular belief that it would help.

"Never mind...if we sit together we'll probably get warmer," Sora suggested with a smile, holding out his hand. Riku took it and sat next to Sora, wrapping an arm around him and listening as Sora sighed contentedly, resting his head on Riku's chest.

"Our first Christmas tree," Sora said, with a touch of wistfulness.

"Technically *my* first Christmas tree," Riku pointed, smirking. "You haven't moved in yet."

"Ah, forget the details," Sora said dismissively, eyes closed as he leaned into Riku's warmth.

For a few minutes they were silent, Riku looking at the tree and trying to decide how he wanted to decorate it, and Sora almost napping against Riku's shoulder.

"Hey, Riku..." Sora began, his voice faraway. "I had a really weird dream this morning, while I was missing my alarm..."

"Oh?" Riku seemed unusually interested.

"Yeah. I dreamt that you and I had somehow been transported into this universe of Disney landscapes, and you became my enemy, and a lot of weird things happened to us. Kairi was there too, and she turned out to be a princess."

Riku's eyebrows raised, and at first Sora assumed it was because of his mention of his own former girlfriend. Instead, Riku's expression turned into surprise.

"I had almost the same dream," Riku said, the tone of his voice telling Sora that he felt just as thoroughly weirded out as Sora did. "Except in my dream, I was sure it was you who'd betrayed me. And at some point we got separated..."

"Yeah," Sora said, blinking. "Wow, that's weird...how could we have the same dream?"

Riku frowned for a moment, thinking.

"Well...maybe we were actually tuning in to have a look at ourselves in some alternate universe...other versions that are out there living different lives right now," he suggested after a moment, and when Sora stared at him, he grinned. "Just kidding. That's not possible, right?"

"I...dunno," Sora admitted with a shrug. "Maybe it is!"

Riku ruffled Sora's hair.

"Well, it doesn't matter anyway...we won't ever be separated, and we won't ever betray one another...right?" As he finished speaking, he brought a hand up, tracing a fingertip down Sora's chubby cheek.

"Right," Sora said with an easy finality, and Riku grinned, pulling Sora tighter against him.

"Now...what are we going to do with our tree!?"

*****

THE END