Fatal Fury Fan Fiction ❯ Fatal Fury - The Vengeful Spirits ❯ Chapter Seven - Trouble in Paradise ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 

 

All characters are the property of SNK/Playmore. I don't own them, the video games, or the anime.

 

NOTE: For some reason I feel compelled to share this. I know I've given Mary green eyes in my fic, even though most of the source material I've researched shows that her eyes are blue. I consider this a creative liberty. My fic is inspired by the OVAs, and those got some physical details wrong, such as giving Mai red hair when in all the video games her hair is brown or black. So I consider changing the color of Mary's eyes a nod to the OVAs. Also, I had wanted to make Mary appear more unique, to make it seem believable that Terry would be attracted to her from the get-go, and let's face it, I haven't met many blonds with green eyes. I personally like the image of that. Just wanted to share my thoughts. As always, feedback is welcome.

Chapter Seven: Trouble in Paradise

 

South Town Commerce Plaza (formerly known as Geese Tower)

Geese Howard smiled a cold smile as he stood in the front of the large picture window, gazing down at the lights of South Town spread out before him. The tenant who had previously owned the offices on this floor had needed a little persuasion from Billy and Ripper, but in the end he had been only too happy to move his business elsewhere, and concoct a convincing cover story for it, in order to keep both his family and his Swiss bank accounts safe.

After all, Geese thought as he swirled a snifter of cognac. It isn't money that really talks. Oh, it definitely has a voice. But at the end of the day, it is power that will always speak the loudest. All the money in the world won't save you if your enemy is powerful enough to walk up to you and murder you in broad daylight. Tung and his star pupil were fools to think that too much power is dangerous, and it's a pity they passed those ideals onto the Bogard boys. Those two had such potential, but they were tainted by the notion that power must be used to serve others.

Geese took a sip from his drink, reflecting that it was true that money bought some power, but real power was that which could not be bought. That was the power that Geese Howard wanted, the power he was very close to obtaining. The power of immortality. Of life and death.

The phone on the mahogany desk behind him began to ring. Geese turned from the window, walked over to the desk, and picked up the receiver. “Yes?” He answered.

“We've hit a snag, sir,” said Hopper's voice. “It seems the scroll's owner recently sold it to a collector.”

“Hm, how unfortunate for him. Has he divulged the buyer's name and location?”

“Not yet. He's a stubborn old bastard, one of those 'honor among thieves' types, thinks that his buyers should remain anonymous. Not to worry, though. It may take me a little longer to extract the information, but I'll get it.”

“See that you do,” Geese said. “Don't come back here without it.” He hung up, and turned back towards the window.

You may have defeated a god, Terry, he thought to himself as he sipped his drink. But when I have what I seek, I will be stronger than a god. Then nothing will save you or your friends.

 

South Town International Airport

Terry Bogard stood by one of the baggage carousels and waved as he saw his brother and his friends approaching. Joe Higashi was dressed in a white sweatsuit, Andy Bogard in jeans and a t-shirt, and Mai Shiranui in her usual travel ensemble of ankle-length skirt, halter top and open blouse, though instead of the pastel colors she normally favored, the garments were black.

“Over here!” Terry called. They spotted him through the crowd and made their way over to him, their eyes lighting up despite the jet lag.

“Have you been practicing, Andy?” Terry asked as he hugged his brother.

“The real question is: have you?” Andy fired back.

Terry then moved onto Joe. “You been keeping him out of trouble?” Terry asked as he and the kickboxer clapped one another on the shoulder.

“Are you kidding?” Joe quipped. “If anything, I've been trying to get him into it.”

Terry then came to Mai. “I'm sorry about your grandfather, Mai,” said Terry. “I wish I could have been there for the burial.”

Mai gave him a hug and a small kiss on the cheek. “I understand why you weren't there, Terry,” she said. “I really do.”

After they had gotten their bags and were walking towards the exit, Terry filled them in on the last few days. “So, far it's been quiet, except for the fact that a lot more fighters are in town. Police have been doing their best to break up any 'practice' matches they find.” When Terry used the word “practice,” he made the hand gesture for quotation marks. “Other than that, I haven't encountered Geese or any of his lackeys. We still don't know who the tournament's sponsor is, but I know someone who's looking into that.”

“Someone we know?” Joe asked him.

“Actually,” said Terry with some hesitation. “You've... never met her.”

The other three exchanged quick glances. “Her?” Said Andy.

“We're friends,” Terry added quickly. “At least, I think we are. And that's all we want to be.” He quickly changed the subject after that, but Mai made a note of the look in his eyes, which was the same look he got when he talked about Lily or Sulia. Her “sixth sense” would probably need to do more snooping later.

“...The hotel that we're staying at is where most of the tournament's fighters are staying,” Terry continued. “So it should be safe. I don't think Geese or whoever is responsible for all of this would try anything with so many fighters in one place. And I haven't had a chance to look up Jin Scrolls in the local library yet, but the tournament doesn't start for two days, so I figured that's something we could do between now and then.”

“Did you pick up any information at the venue when you registered us?” Mai asked.

Terry looked confused then. “Um, actually, Mai, I only registered myself, Joe and Andy. I didn't know you were going to be fighting.” His eyes moved to Andy, who turned his gaze away from Terry. Andy's face started to go red.

Mai noticed the exchange between the two Bogards. “Why else would I be here?” She said, trying to mask the aggravation in her voice. “I came to help, didn't I?”

“Um...” Terry hesitated, wondering for a moment if he should throw his brother under the wheels of the bus or not. He couldn't help but notice the vein in Mai's temple throbbing ever so slightly. Joe took several steps backward and held his suitcase in front of him like a shield.

Fortunately, Andy solved his dilemma. “I... told him not to register you, Mai,” he said softly, looking down at the tiled floor of the airport. “I didn't think you were up for a tournament competition, not so soon after your grandfather's funeral.”

“That's ridiculous!” The red-haired kunoichi snapped at her boyfriend. “Andy, you know I've been hitting the gym at least twice a day since I was attacked. Why wouldn't I be up for this?”

“Well, if we hurry,” Terry pointed out. “We may be able to get to the venue before it closes, and get your name entered. I think there are still some openings.”

Mai nodded. “Right. Here, Andy.” She took the two bags she was carrying and thrust them into her boyfriend's arms, despite the fact that Andy was already handling his own load. “I've got to move in order to fix your mistake, and these things will only slow me down. So you carry them!” With that, she double-timed it towards the exit to hail them a cab.

“Um, right, Mai,” Andy said, rolling his eyes as he, Joe and Terry started after her.

It turned out that they made it to the venue just in time. While Mai was busy registering her information as a last-minute participant, the other three fighters scanned the convention center's lobby, hoping to see some familiar faces. They did, but not one of the faces they wanted to see.

“Well, well, if it ain't the three musketeers!” Said a voice with an accent that they recognized instantly. The three friends turned as one to see Billy Kane making his way towards them through the bustle of the lobby, using his staff as a walking stick. “Fancy meetin' you here! You get new jobs as porters?” He asked, indicating their bags.

“What are you doing here, Billy?” Andy growled at Geese's bodyguard.

“Just checkin' out the competition,” Billy said with an innocent shrug. “Was also hoping to meet this bird o'yours. I hear your taste in women is just as good as your brother's.”

“Keep walking,” Andy muttered through clenched teeth. “Mai is none of your business.”

Billy raised his hands in mock surrender. “Wot did I do wrong? We ain't fighting. Just chatting about the ould days. So how's Master Tung? Oh, right. Still dead, because I fatally wounded him.” He chuckled coldly.

Both of Andy's hands were now balled into fists. Terry grabbed his brother firmly by the upper arm. “You still failed, Billy,” Terry said calmly. “He lived long enough to pass on the Sempu Ken technique, and you can ask your old boss how good that was. Oh wait, you can't, because I killed him with it.”

“That's wot they say,” Billy said with a nod. “Just wish we'd seen a body.” He shrugged. “Oh, well, the fish probably ate him.”

Mai rejoined the group at that point. “Okay,” she said, stepping up alongside Andy. “I got into the tournament just in time. We can go to the hotel now.”

Andy glared daggers at Billy as the lanky fighter looked Mai over. “Hello, cutie,” Billy said to her with a whistle of appreciation. “You must be Andy Bogard's squeeze.”

Mai cocked her head at him. “Have we met? You look familiar.”

“We haven't been formally introduced,” Billy explained, “but I remember you as the cute little ninja bird dancin' at Duck King's place the night that masked freak tore it up. So, tell me, love: yer moves in the ring as good as yer moves on stage?”

“I don't know,” Mai said with a coy smile. “If you're lucky, maybe you'll find out.”

Andy's eyes opened wide, and he almost choked on his rage. “Mai, what are you...”

“I'd like that,” Billy said with a smirk, ignoring Andy. “Maybe me and my staff can get up close and personal with you.”

“Hmmmm,” Mai thought for a minute. “How do I know you're not compensating for something with that staff?”

Billy laughed. “If you're really curious, love, I can prove it to you back at my place.”

“Well, I like the accent. I mean, accents are always hot. But... you're still not as cute as Andy. Better luck next time.” Mai wrapped her arms around Andy's bicep and flashed Billy a wink.

“Hm.” Billy regarded her for a moment, then touched two fingers to his forehead in a mock salute. “She's got spirit, Andy,” he admitted. “I'll give her that. I just hope she's luckier than yer brother's girl.”

Andy clenched his fists tighter, and this time, both Joe and Terry were holding his shoulders, trying to stop Andy from raising them. Mai looked at Andy curiously, noticing how his anger rose at the mention of Lily.

“Causing trouble already, Kane?” Said a voice that Terry Bogard recognized. He turned and saw Mary Ryan making her way towards them.

“Not at all, detective,” Billy said with an innocent shrug. “Just makin' chit chat with some ould friends a' mine.”

“Really?” Mary continued forward until she was inches from Billy's face. “And you needed to bring your staff because...?”

“Just enjoying a constitutional,” said Billy. “This is my walking stick.”

“Then walk somewhere else with it,” Mary snapped. “Remember, Kane, I'm very familiar with your resumé. I would love for you to give me an excuse to put you in the intensive care unit before the tournament has even started.” Her green eyes narrowed as she fixed Billy with a cold glare.

“I love it when a girl talks dirty,” Billy muttered, then turned and walked off. Mary watched him go, then faced the four friends.

“Have I mentioned before what a bad idea I think this is?” She asked Terry. “It takes way too much time to get from one side of this convention center to another, and they haven't given me nearly enough men to cover most of the scenarios I've come up with on things that could go wrong. If I didn't know any better, I'd say Captain Bowers was trying to punish me.”

“I can't imagine why he would,” said Terry with a smirk. “I mean, you're so charming.”

Mary smirked back at him. “Sorry,” she said. “I forgot my manners. Are these your friends?” She gestured at the other three.

Terry nodded, and made the introductions. After they were done, Mary's green eyes lingered on Andy for a moment. He had relaxed slightly, but his fists were still clenched. “You seem like you have a temper,” she said. “I hope that won't be a problem.”

“It won't,” Terry interjected. “You actually have a bigger problem: Andy and I both have the same last name, and I know you like to use last names when talking to people. So how will you tell us apart?”

Mary thought for a moment, and then asked Andy: “Hey, Romeo, are you as sarcastic as your brother? Let me know now, so I can stock up on antacids for the ulcer that you'll probably give me before this damn tournament is over.”

“How come he gets that nickname?” Asked Joe. “You can ask anyone here, babe: I'm the real Romeo.”

Mary regarded him, her mouth a tight line, and then she said: “Tell me, Higashi, have you recovered from your fight with Krauser?”

Joe blinked in astonishment, surprised that the blond woman knew about that. Then he answered cautiously: “Um... yeah, I recovered fully a while ago.”

Mary nodded. “That's good. I would hate to have to put you back in the hospital. Which is exactly what will happen if you ever call me 'babe' again. And I'll make sure you stay there even longer than Krauser did.”

Joe looked at Terry, and it took all of Terry's effort to keep a straight face. Mai let a giggle slip out, which brought Mary's attention to the black-clad kunoichi.

“What's with the get-up, Princess?” She asked Mai. “Who died?”

Mai's laughter came to an abrupt halt. “My grandfather passed away last month,” she said simply.

For a moment, Mary lost her poker face. Her hand went to her mouth. “Oh, my God. I'm... I'm so sorry. I didn't know.”

“It's my fault,” Terry told Mai. “I never told her about Hanzo's passing.”

“I'm sorry,” Mary repeated. “If you'll excuse me, the center is closing soon. I have to see to some things here. It... was nice meeting you all.” Mary turned and walked away more quickly than usual, soon becoming lost in the bustle.

Once she was out of sight, Terry said: “Mai, please don't be so mad at her. She really didn't know. The... subject of your grandfather's funeral just never came up in our conversations. I'm sorry.”

Mai was silent for a moment. She studied Terry's face, saw the same look in his eyes from when he had mentioned Mary in the airport. Then she shrugged. “It's okay. Though I am a little surprised that something like that wouldn't come up in a conversation with a friend.”

“I don't... know if we're really friends,” Terry said awkwardly. “I might have used the wrong word earlier. Maybe acquaintances? Somewhere in between those two? It's... complicated.”

Mai grinned, in spite of herself. “It seems that Bogard men like to use that word a lot when describing their relationships.” She reached over and gave Terry a pat on the arm. “It's fine, Terry. Don't worry about it.”

With that, the four of them started back to the hotel. It was only a few blocks from the convention center, so they decided to walk. As soon as they were outside and heading down the sidewalk towards the hotel, Andy caught up with Mai (despite his load of luggage) and grabbed her by the arm. “Okay, Mai, what the hell was that about?” He blurted angrily.

The buxom ninja girl gave a small shrug, shaking off Andy's hand. “What was what about?” She asked, using that innocent tone of voice that she hadn't used in a while.

“You know what I mean,” Andy snapped. “Do you know who that was that you just flirted with?”

“No, Andy, I don't know,” Mai said, her own voice rising a little. “Maybe you should tell me. Funny thing, that. I can't really know something unless you tell me, now can I?”

Andy shook his head, missing the blatant hint that Mai had dropped for him. “That was Geese Howard's bodyguard,” he explained. “And you actually flirted with him!”

“Relax, Andy,” said Mai, her voice lower now. “You know that I wouldn't actually have done anything with him. I've only ever had eyes for you.”

Andy shook his head and blew out a long breath. “Why did you do that, anyway? I thought you promised that you were done with that sort of thing.”

Mai was silent for a moment, remembering their flight back to Japan after Sulia's funeral, when Andy had made his promise to stop taking Mai for granted. Mai had been extremely touched by that, and found herself recalling Sulia's final words to her, when she'd asked Mai not to be so hard on Andy. So Mai had told Andy the truth about what happened in China (how she had pretended to let Hauer kiss her, and why), then she had promised him that she wouldn't do anything to deliberately try and make him jealous again.

I'm sorry I broke my promise today, Andy. This is why it's called tough love. Mai gave another shrug. “Oh, yeah,” she said absently. “I guess I forgot we were still doing our promises. Won't happen again, Andy.” With that, she picked up her pace as she continued down the sidewalk.

Andy fell into step alongside Terry and Joe. “What was that all about?” Terry asked.

Andy shook his head. “I don't know.”

“Is everything okay with you two?” Terry asked, not convinced by his brother's answer. “Normally, when we're all together like this, we need a crowbar to get Mai off of you.”

“I noticed it, too, on the trip over here,” added Joe. “Whenever we've flown somewhere in the past, she usually spends most of the plane ride using you as a pillow. I don't think she touched you once this whole flight.”

Andy thought back. That had been pretty odd. Instead of resting her head on his shoulder like she normally did, Mai had spent the entire trip from Japan either with her nose in one of her romance novels, or looking out the window with her headphones on, listening to the plane's heavy metal station. “Maybe she shouldn't have traveled so soon after her grandfather's passing,” Andy said. “I'll talk to her later, see if I can find out what's going on.”

Both Joe and Terry nodded, though the looks on their faces said that they were not convinced. Joe especially, as he had been there the night he and Andy had started to make their plans, and as he recalled, Mai had been only too eager to come with them.

“I hope so,” said Terry. “Whatever it is, we can't have it interfering with things here.”

“Yeah,” Joe chimed in. “Especially if Geese is alive. Then we definitely need to be ready for anything.”

 

After they had checked into the hotel, the four of them went upstairs to drop their things off in their rooms. Tomorrow they were going to find out whatever they could about Jin Scrolls, but for tonight, the plan was to give the travelers a chance to decompress from the long trip.

Terry Bogard found himself wandering the lobby of the hotel, lost in thought. He wondered about several things: if Geese really was still alive, what he could want with a Jin Scroll if he was, but also he thought about his brother. The last time he had talked to Mai on the phone, she had mentioned that she and Andy were doing great. According to her, the younger Bogard had been acting more like a boyfriend ever since they had gotten back to Japan.

What happened to Sulia apparently got to you, too, Andy, he thought. At least some good came out of it.

Terry had told Mai he'd believe that when he saw it. He didn't know what he was expecting when he showed up at the airport to greet them. Definitely not Mai giving Andy the cold shoulder. And then her flirting with Billy Kane like that? He assumed Andy had told her what Billy had done to Master Tung, but then again, he might not have. Andy rarely spoke about their first encounter with Geese. Mai hadn't been there, but she was here now, so he hoped Andy would tell her.

It's none of my business, he thought with a shrug. The less personal I keep things with people, the better. He was walking by one of the lobby's large picture windows, when he glanced through it, and saw a familiar red motorcycle parallel parked on the other side of the street, with a familiar figure seated on it. Terry smirked as he made his way outside.

Underneath the visor of her helmet, Mary rolled her eyes as she saw Terry making his way towards her. “You stalking me, Bogard?” She asked him when he was close enough for him to hear her.

“I could ask you the same thing,” said Terry. “We're just relaxing right now. Our heads haven't expanded in size yet.”

Mary pulled off her helmet, shaking her head in order to let down her blond hair. Terry tried not to notice the way her hair whipped around her face and her long neck like straw spun into gold, but he didn't have much luck. “There's a lot of fighters staying at this hotel,” Mary said, as she placed her helmet between the bike's handlebars. “So I'll be keeping a close eye on it. Two eyes, when I'm not at the convention center.”

“I haven't seen too many of my old buddies,” said Terry. “They must be showing up tomorrow.”

“And your three companions?” Asked Mary.

“Resting, probably. The hotel has a gym attached to it, and I was going to get in some practice before I eat. Normally, I'd ask Andy to spar with me, but I think he needs to sort some things out with his girlfriend.” He gave Mary a smirk. “So, what would you say if I offered you a chance to hit me?”

Mary smirked back at him. “Well, I have always wondered how I'd do against the best. But since they're not here, I'll settle for kicking your ass. Let's do it!”

 

The gym was largely empty. Aside from some people using the weight benches in the back, the only others that Terry and Mary saw were Mai and Joe, who were sparring in one of the rings. Terry thought it odd that she wasn't practicing with Andy, but he simply nodded politely at the ninja girl and the kickboxer, then made his way towards the other sparring ring, which was empty. Mary followed him rather quickly, avoiding eye contact with Mai.

“I asked her not to be so mad at you about earlier,” Terry told the detective. “It was my fault. I really should have told you about her grandfather's passing. I don't know why I didn't.”

Mary shrugged as she climbed into the ring. “I won't lose sleep over it if you won't.” Once inside the ring, she took off her green jacket, folded it carefully, then very gently laid it across one of the turnbuckles, treating it as though it were alive.

Terry thought that odd, but quickly pushed it out of his mind as he moved to the opposite side of the ring and assumed his stance. Mary assumed hers, as well. For a brief moment, Terry was awestruck. This was the first time he'd seen Mary without her jacket, and the crop top she wore underneath it gave him an excellent view of her physique, the perfect combination of hard and muscular, but also soft and feminine. The sleek curve of her hips and midriff were stunning, as was the swell of her breasts as they strained against the fabric of her top. But Terry could also see the muscles in her arms standing out like steel cords, and the solid ripple of abs on her bare stomach.

Beautiful, he thought. Then he pushed it down hard. Stop it, Terry! You can never get close to her, or she'll die just like the others. Just focus on the fight. The fight is your mistress now, until the end of time.

He began to circle counterclockwise around the ring, causing Mary to do the same. She couldn't help but admire the quickness of his movements, not at all what one would expect from a fighter who dressed like a boy band reject. Though he is cute enough to be in one of those bands, she thought as she gazed at his muscular arms, his blond hair, his steely blue eyes. He looks just as handsome as Butch did, whenever we sparred. The memory of that name caused her to internally berate herself. God damn it, Ryan, what did you tell yourself that night outside the Pao Pao? You can never fall for another man! It hurts too much to lose them.

But much as she didn't want to admit it, she was falling for Terry Bogard. She had been ever since that night he'd bought her the drink. Focus on this fight, she told herself, pushing her feelings down hard. That's all that matters.

“You gonna circle all day or do something, Bogard?” She called to him.

“Maybe I'm just waiting for you to get impatient,” he called back. Which was exactly what he was doing, as he was aware of Mary's tendency to hang back, and let her opponent make the first move. So he was trying to do the same. But as they continued to circle, he had to admit to himself that her patience was starting to wear him down.

In the other ring, Mai and Joe watched as Terry and Mary circled one another. After she and Andy had gotten their bags in their room, Mai had changed into her fighting outfit and told her boyfriend she was going down to the gym to practice. Andy had asked her if she wanted to spar, but Mai had told him she would ask Joe, as part of her new strategy to wear Andy down to the point where he finally told her why he didn't want her here in South Town (though she left that second part out).

It turned out her plan had an unexpected benefit. For a while now, Mai had been practicing with someone who knew the same arts she did, so she had grown too comfortable. Joe's Muay Thai fighting style was definitely a sharp contrast to her Shiranui Ryuu Ninjitsu, so it was a good learning experience.

Joe had knocked her down twice rather quickly (despite the recent death in her family, she had asked him not to go easy on her). The third match had been a little more satisfying. It had also ended with her on her backside, but it had lasted much longer than the other two. When Terry and Mary had come into the gym, however, the two of them had stopped what they were doing to watch.

After several minutes had passed and no blows had been exchanged, Joe exhaled loudly. “Even foreplay doesn't last this long,” he quipped. “Someone should have thrown a punch by now.”

Joe then had to sidestep to avoid a swipe from Mai's fan. “Hush,” she told him. “I think it's sweet. Look at their faces. It's obvious that they like each other.”

Joe rolled his eyes. “Mai, you always think people like each other.”

“So?” She fired back. “I can't help it if I have a sixth sense.”

“Uh huh,” Joe said. “Well, my sixth sense is telling me I'm hungry. I hope the hotel's restaurant has fried alligator.” He grabbed his shirt from where it hung on the turnbuckle, and left the gym.

Mai stayed for a few minutes longer, watching as Terry sparred with the detective. Despite the current mood between her and Andy, she could not help but smile at the scene that played out before her. I hope Terry works up the courage to tell her how he feels, she thought. He's been through so much. He deserves some happiness. Finally, Mai decided to give them some time alone, and left to go back up to her room for a shower.

Terry Bogard wound up losing patience first, and came at Mary with a series of quick jabs. He knew the blond woman's strength lay in her Sambo techniques, so he was trying to keep his own attacks fast and light, to avoid giving her an opportunity to grab and throw him.

She danced nimbly on the balls of her feet, dodging his jabs, searching for patterns, waiting for a chance. It eventually came. He reached a little too far with a right jab, and Mary responded with a mid-level roundhouse kick that caught him in his back.

Terry saw his mistake, however, and though he was knocked to the side a bit, managed to keep his feet. Mary tried to press her opportunity by lunging with her elbow, and Terry countered by ducking and sweeping with his leg. He knocked Mary off her feet, but she quickly regained them with a handspring, and immediately raised her forearms in a defensive stance, her green eyes regarding him with that wild light that Terry had seen in them the first time he'd watched her fight.

Such beautiful eyes, he thought, for a moment losing his focus. Mary noticed this and quickly went into a crouch, then followed by lunging forward with her foot, aiming a kick at Terry's midsection. Her boot struck him dead center, pushing him back against the ropes. She followed this with another kick that might have taken his head off had he not ducked.

Terry used his crouch to launch himself into an uppercut. Mary tried to avoid it, but her previous move had left her vulnerable. She could not move quickly enough and was still grazed by Terry's counter. Now it was Terry's turn to press the attack. He did a quick forward flip and kicked his leg out. His heel came down, aiming for Mary's shoulder, but she had been anticipating the move and had braced for it. As his leg came down, her arms came up, wrapping around it. She then twisted her upper body and threw him across the ring.

They continued like this for some time, both of them caught up in the thrill of the fight. But more than that, they were caught up in the thrill of watching each other fight, though they both were trying their best to deny it. After half an hour of sparring, Terry finally let his guard down (though later, he would wonder if he had done it on purpose). His kick was too slow, and Mary danced past it easily, spun in close to him, wrapped her arms around his waist and began to spin in place several times, moving Terry along with her.

With no time to think, only to react, Terry reached out and grabbed one of the ropes on the side of the ring, stopping Mary mid-spin and sending the two of them tumbling to the ground. Somehow, Terry wound up on his back with the detective on top of him.

For a few moments, neither one of them spoke as they gazed into each others' eyes. Feeling her this close reminded Terry of the night that Sulia had healed him after he was badly wounded by Jamin and Laocorn. This helped him remember himself so he quickly shook his head. “Um... I yield,” he said quietly. “So you can get off me now.”

But I don't want to, came the small voice inside of Mary. She quickly remembered herself as well, however, and shoved that voice down hard. “Right,” she said, and then got up and retrieved her jacket. “Good match, Bogard,” she said, offering him a hand. Terry accepted it and she pulled him to his feet.

“Yeah,” Terry said with a slow nod, though Mary noticed that he still had that faraway look. “I'm... gonna get something to eat.”

“Mind if I come along?” Asked Mary.

Yes, he thought at first. But then he realized that a hotel restaurant was very public. So he simply said: “Sure, if you want.” With that, they exited the gym, each trying to keep a respectable distance from one another.

Thankfully, Joe was still in the restaurant, so Terry opted to sit with him. Mary wasn't thrilled by the idea, but Terry really didn't want to sit alone with her right now. As they joined his table, Joe was working on a beer and a plate of fried alligator bites.

“That's not your first plate, is it?” Terry asked Joe.

“Second,” said Joe. “I have a third coming out shortly.”

Mary rolled her eyes. “Jesus, Bogard, are all your friends orphans and vagabonds?”

Joe paused in mid-bite. “Nope. I'm just hungry.”

Mary was silent for a time as Terry and Joe made small talk about the tournament, and also caught up with each other. She only half-listened, as she kept glancing at Terry, and then internally berating herself every time she did. She was relieved when her food came out, as this gave her something else to focus on.

Unfortunately, she was just about to dig her fork into her beef stew over rice, when Joe asked her: “So, Mary, how did you and Terry meet?”

“He was breaking the law,” Mary said casually. “And I was kind enough to let him off with a warning.”

“She beat up the man I was fighting,” Terry said. “You just don't take another man's opponent like that. Fortunately for her...” Terry stopped himself. He'd been about to say he had only let it slide because he found Mary attractive. Damn it, and I thought having a third person here would make things easier.

“Fortunately...?” Joe asked after a pause.

“She was a cop,” Terry said quickly, then took a bite of his barbecue sandwich.

“Well, maybe if you're lucky, you'll see that guy at the tournament and get a rematch,” said Joe.

Mary shook her head. “Franklin Thomas Bash, goes by the name of 'Franco' in fighting circuits. He made bail, but his pending hearing prevents him from registering in the King of Fighters tournament. So the only way you'll get a rematch is illegally.”

“Thanks, Robocop,” Joe said with a smirk. “Good to know.” He then felt a sharp pain in his shin as Mary kicked him under the table. “Jeez, Terry,” he said with a wince. “Your last girl had less of an attitude problem.”

Mary's green eyes took on a quizzical look. “Last girl?”

“He hasn't told you?” Joe asked. Then he felt another kick under the table, this time from Terry.

“Joe, shut up,” said Terry. “I told you before. Mary and I aren't like that. We're friends. That's all we'll ever be.”

An uneasy silence settled over the table then. For a while, everyone was focusing on their food. Mary kept stealing glances at Terry when he wasn't looking, and she couldn't believe that a part of her was hurt that he had just said that. But he's right, her voice of reason kept saying. You can never let him be more than that. Your heart belongs to the job. But still, her cop instinct kept thinking back to the picture that had fallen out of Terry's wallet. She already knew about Lily from the Howard file, and she'd actually seen the same picture in Terry's file, as well, but for some reason had chosen not to mention this to him on the night they met. She had no idea who the other girl was, though.

Terry kept stealing glances at Mary when she wasn't looking, and a part of him was actually kicking himself for saying what he'd said. But you're right, said his own voice of reason. If you fall in love with her, she'll die because you're cursed. Your heart belongs to the fight. But then, the word “fight” reminded him of his recent sparring match with Mary, how incredible she had looked then. God damn it, Terry, what were you just telling yourself? Why can't you focus on something else? Why does she have to be such an amazing girl?

Terry was just about to say something stupid out loud, when suddenly the radio in Mary's jacket pocket came alive. “Ryan, do you read? Come in.”

Mary stuffed the last bite of beef in her mouth and pulled out her radio. “Ryan here,” she spoke into it. “Go ahead.”

“We need you back at the 37th, ASAP,” said the voice on the other end. “It's a little crazy here right now.”

Mary rolled her eyes. “Well, what did the mayor expect, when he decided to bring this damn tournament back?” She berated the radio.

“It's not the tournament,” the voice said flatly. “The commissioner is dead.”

Terry and Joe glanced at each other. Mary started, but somehow kept her poker face. “What? Did I copy that right? It sounded like you said Commissioner Hurst...”

“Is dead,” spoke the tinny voice. “We need you back here.”

“On my way,” said Mary. She pocketed the radio and started to reach for her wallet. “I gotta go. We have a situation, apparently.”

“Let me take care of dinner,” Joe spoke up.

“Thanks,” Mary said flatly, and rose from the table. Terry got up, as well.

“Do you need me to...” Terry started to ask.

“Two words, Bogard,” she snapped, her green eyes boring into him. “Police. Business. You and your friends stay here. And stay out of it. Got it?”

Terry looked for a moment like he wanted to say something, then sat back down. “Right,” he said. Mary nodded, and then made her way quickly through the tables towards the exit.

After she was gone, Terry looked at his friend and shook his head. “I wasn't going to tell her about Sulia, Joe,” he said.

“Sorry,” said Joe. “I just assumed she knew.”

“She doesn't need to know,” said Terry. “Because there is nothing between us.” He stared down at the table, his mouth a tight line.

“Okay, Terry, if you say so,” Joe said with his hands raised. “Just relax. Can I buy you a beer before I turn in?”

The mention of that helped Terry shake off any lingering thoughts of Mary. He smirked at the Muay Thai kickboxer. “Sure, Joe. Thanks.”

Andy Bogard sat in the lotus position on his bed, eyes shut, hands on his knees with palms open and upturned. He breathed slowly in and out, trying to calm himself, but his thoughts were on Mai.

After they had checked in and each claimed a bed (this time, they had gotten a room with two queen beds), Mai had changed into her fighting outfit and said she was going down to the gym. Andy asked if she wanted a sparring partner, and Mai said she was going to ask Joe.

Now I know something is wrong, for her to ask Joe to do anything with her. He couldn't figure out why she was acting so different, but he realized that his behavior towards her lately could have been better. However, as long there was a possibility that Geese Howard might be alive, he felt that his best course of action was to distance himself from Mai emotionally.

When this is done, Mai, I promise I will try harder than ever to be the man you deserve, but for now, I just can't. Not while the threat of my past is still hanging over us.

Andy's eyes slowly came open when he heard the click of a knob. The bathroom door opened in a rush of steam as Mai Shiranui emerged from her shower. She tied her white cotton bathrobe shut as she crossed the room, then wrapped her hair in a towel, saying nothing to Andy the entire time. She did not even acknowledge the look of appreciation he had given her. She started to busy herself with unpacking her bag, still keeping silent.

"Mai..." Andy asked softly. "Is everything all right?"

The red-haired kunoichi shook her head. "No, Andy, it's not all right."

"I thought so," said Andy. "Maybe your coming here was a mistake. It's still too soon after your grandfather's funeral. If you want to go home early, I'll understand."

Mai gave him an odd look, then. "You think that's what's bothering me? Andy, I still miss my grandfather terribly, but that isn't why I'm upset."

"Then what?" He asked.

Mai sat down on her own bed and faced him, her brown eyes smoldering. "You're really gonna act like you don't know? Andy, you've been so distant ever since you found that envelope in my bedroom. Except for that one day in the sitting room, I've had to come to you when I want affection, and you act like you don't want to touch me, just like the old days. And then you went behind my back, and told Terry I wasn't going to fight in the tournament? And don't act like I didn't hear most of what you told Joe in the kitchen that night. You didn't want me to come to South Town, Andy. You were probably going to just leave me without telling me."

Andy shook his head. "That's not true. This time, I would have told you something."

"Andy, we both know that's bullshit. Admit it: there is nothing you could have said that would have stopped me from following you here. The only way you could have left without me is if you pulled another disappearing act, just like you did three years ago. I'm right, Andy. If you even have to question that, then maybe you don't really know me."

Andy's gaze moved to the carpet. "No, Mai. You're right. I wouldn't have been able to leave without you. Unless I didn't tell you I was going."

"Why, Andy?" She asked him, her voice rising slightly. "After our fight with Laocorn, I thought we agreed that you and I were a team."

"We are," said Andy. "But..." he trailed off, suddenly unable to find the words to finish that sentence.

"But what?" Snapped Mai. "Only when you feel like it? Only when you say we can be? Sorry, Andy, that isn't how it works."

"Well, since you were eavesdropping on me and Joe," Andy snapped back, "you probably also remember that I said this wasn't your fight. Geese is my enemy, not yours. My vendetta with him started before you and I met."

"So? Krauser wasn't my fight, either. I hadn't met your brother at that point in time. But you had no problems with me getting on a plane with you to Germany."

"That was different," said Andy. "We knew nothing about Krauser, other than a story from Master Jubei. I know Geese Howard. I know firsthand how dangerous he is."

Mai rose from the bed, threw up her arms in frustration. "And I don't know. Because you've never talked about what happened the first time you and Terry faced him. Tell me, god damn it! Why does he upset you so much? Why is it so hard for you to just talk about this?"

For a long time, Andy didn't speak. He looked sadly at his girlfriend, at the pain written on her face. "I'm sorry, Mai," he muttered. "I wish you had stayed in Japan. This wasn't supposed to be your fight."

Mai took a deep breath, fighting back the urge to shed tears. "I'm sorry, too, Andy," she finally managed to say. "You really have done a great job since you made that promise last year. Perhaps too good. I've gotten a taste of what it's like to really be your girlfriend, and it's ruined me. I can't go back to the way things were. If you truly want to make good on your promise, you can't half-ass it. You can't keep drifting back and forth between the wonderful man you've become, and that emotionally distant boy who broke my heart three years ago. I need to know you're all in, completely committed to the idea of 'us'."

But I am, Mai, he thought silently to himself. Why can't you see that I've been trying to protect you? He fixed his blue eyes on her with a pleading stare, trying to make her understand, but otherwise he was silent. After a few minutes had passed and she got no answer, Mai Shiranui walked over to the door to their room and opened it.

"Mai," said Andy, noticing that she was still in her bathrobe. "Shouldn't you get dressed before going out?"

The ninja girl gave him a funny look, like Andy had just told a bad joke. "I'm not going anywhere, Andy," she explained. "Until you're ready to be completely open with me, and talk to me about what's bothering you, you can sleep somewhere else."

For a moment, Andy was too shocked to say anything. For as long as he'd known her, Mai had never kicked him out before, not out of a room, not from the dojo, not anywhere. Later, he decided that his shock was the reason he blurted out: "But Mai, we don't even sleep in the same bed."

The vein in Mai's temple began to throb, causing Andy to flinch before she even spoke. "DON'T FUCKING REMIND ME!" She yelled, and then pointed firmly at the open doorway. "NOW GET OUT!"

It took Andy another minute, but he was at last able to find his feet. He picked up his duffel and shouldered it, then walked past Mai towards the door, once more fixing her with the pleading stare. Mai's deep brown eyes remained unwavering, however, so Andy stepped out into the hallway, not even hearing the door slam behind him.

He did, however, hear Mai crying softly on the other side of it just a few moments later. “I'm sorry, Mai,” he whispered, too quiet for her to hear through the door. “I'll make it up to you after we're safely back in Japan. I promise.” He stood there for a moment, considering his options. He could ask Terry or Joe if he could crash with one of them, but he'd rather not have to explain that Mai had kicked him out. It was his problem, not theirs. Besides, he really wasn't in the mood to listen to what Joe would have to say about it.

Guess I'll sleep under the stars, he thought. Or in this case, the light pollution. Andy Bogard cast one last mournful look at the door to his hotel room , and then began to follow signs for the nearest staircase to the roof.

 

To be continued...