Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction / Devil May Cry - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Knights of the Realms ❯ Ch 3 - Refuse/Resist ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

KNIGHTS OF THE REALMS
 
 
REFUSE/RESIST
 
 
 
 
“Construction on the tower is moving along faster than we anticipated, Sire,” Zopyros said as he continued with the list of recent developments within the city.
The King held himself upright, trying to hide his boredom. “Good, good. My father would have been very pleased. Is there anything else that needs my immediate attention today?”
“N-no, Sire, but it would be prudent to review the reports from--”
“Not today, Zopyros. I have some other business I must attend to.”
The vizeer bowed. “As you say, my King.”
The King stood up, and the rest of the court bowed as he made his exit, closely followed by his Queen. They made their way out of the throne room, down a long procession of hallways, until they finally arrived at their royal chambers. The doors closed behind them, and the King was finally able to stand comfortably once again.
“How did Father do it?” he wondered aloud, and not for the first time.
“He never went through what you did, my Love,” the Queen responded. She'd grown accustomed to her husbands recent mood, and she could sympathize. The life they both now led was very different from just a few years ago, and it was wearing on them.
“No, no he didn't,” the King acceded, going through various stretches to get the blood flowing through his limbs again. Court etiquette and the stone carved throne were unforgiving on a body that was meant to move. “But he ruled through wars. I was there, by his side, for the last of them. Surely he felt something--” He was quited by his wife's finger placed gently on his lips.
“He led wars, my Love, and had his share of personal battles. But never has any man undergone such tribulation as have you.”She looked deep into his eyes and saw the man she had fallen in love with, but he was caged, the tediacy of court and ruling a nation trapping the once warrior. “Don't let your duties change who you are.”
He gave a laugh derived of hopelessness. “How can't I? I'm expected to be here, in this palace, every day. My mornings are filled with with advisors listing off every stone moved and loaf bought in the kingdom. Priests prattle on incessantly about how more coin is needed for the building of statues, repairs of the temples, and “further glorification.” My day is filled with the irrelevant whining of peasants squabbling over a sow. If not that, then it's my generals, pressing me to march on our neighbors and expand my rule. I would gladly give it all up, but the people won't hear of it.” He snorted, then sat down heavily. “How do I refuse the kingship when the people resist any other ruler?”
The Queen was silent for a while. Then, moving over to a rack on the wall, she took down two slender, curved swords. Walking back to her husband, she tossed one to him and he deftly caught it, looking up at her questioningly.
In answer, the Queen lunged at his chest, sword point poised to pierce him.
The King quickly rolled to the side and came up in a crouch, holding the sword in front of him. The Queen came at him again, with a quick feint to the left followed by a back handed blow from the right. The King saw the feint for what it was, and caught the actual blow with his own blade. Pushing off from each other, the two royals came together again amidst the ringing of steel on steel. The King thrust, but the Queen twisted around the blade, bringing her own from beneath her in an quick upswing.
Still in mid-thrust, the King was caught off balance. He jumped to the side from his awkward position and rolled across the floor, his wife not far behind.
Kicking his lower body up, he brought himself into another defensive crouch, and not a moment too soon. The Queen brought her legs up and around, one after the other, in a quick double kick. He ducked beneath the first kick but caught her second leg, pushing off the floor at an angle, and swung himself around to beside her by the kicks momentum. He let go and quickly maneuvered his back to his wife's. They spun together and away from each other, neither one having the advantage now.
Not giving The Queen time to move, the King lunged forward but stopped short. The Queen guarded against the blow that didn't come, giving the King enough time to dive down and land on his non-sword hand. Keeping the momentum from his dive, he spun around, both feet and sword held straight out. The Queen, not being able to block both attacks, ducked below the kicks and planted her sword point in the floor in front of her, keeping the King's sword away from her and stopping the King's spin.
He vaulted to the side and landed lithely, waiting for the next attack. It came from straight on, the Queen rushing him with the sword held above his head, poised for a viscous over hand chop. He moved to dodge left, then quickly reversed momentum to bring his blade in a sideways sweep at her back. But the Queen ignored the feint and forced the King to go from attack to defense, bringing his sword up just in time to block the heavy blow. He immediately Kicked straight out, his foot connecting with his stomach, sending her flying back to land with a dull thump. Not wasting time to gloat, the King turned and ran straight at the wall.
The Queen pulled herself to her feet and set herself into a defensive stance to face...nobody. It was too late when she heard the King land behind her. She smiled to herself as she realized his maneuver. He'd run straight up the wall, jumping back to soar through the air and land behind her.
“You are no King,” she said as she felt the cold steel of his blade press against her throat. “Who are you?”
He withdrew the blade, and picked her up, both dropping their swords. Carrying her to the bed, he leaned over her, and they looked into each others eyes. She saw the man she'd fallen in love with, now uncaged. He leaned his face close to hers.
“I am the Prince of Persia,” he growled before kissing her savagely.