Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction / Devil May Cry - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Knights of the Realms ❯ Ch 16 - Diene Welt ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

KNIGHTS OF THE REALMS
 
Diene Welt (Your World)
 
 
 
 
“So, this Princess…she cute?”
 
Link remained silent. Tatl didn't. “You know what `Princess' means, right?”
 
“Yeah,” said Dante. “Rich, beautiful, hair like the sun and all that poetic stuff.”
 
Tatl laughed. “It means `out of your league'.”
 
Dante was unphased. “I've never met a woman able to resist my charm.” He stopped walking and struck a pose, providing the guards behind him with a reason to give him a more than gentle prod with the butts of their spears.
 
“Enough, Dante. We have places to be,” said the Drifter, moving purposefully along the stone corridor. The Demon Hunter opened his mouth to reply, but was cut off as they were brought before two great double doors. Carved out of ivory, they gave the feeling of grandeur and regality that can only be found in the home of either the excessively rich, or the royal. Most often both.
 
“Presenting her Royal Majesty, Ruler of the Kingdom of Hyrule, the Princess Zelda.”
 
The doors were pulled open, and on a high white throne at the end of the large room sat the Princess. The guards led the group in, and they stopped before the throne. She sat regally, hands resting on the armrests of the ivory throne. Her blonde hair was swept back out of her face and hung down her back, save for two strands that framed her face. And while one could easily tell that it was a face made for compassion, it was stern now. Her blue eyes first settled on Link as the most familiar face, then zeroed in on Dante, he being the only one surrounded by guards.
 
Link knelt before the Princess, as did the Drifter. Drizzt and Cloud followed their example, knowing it made things a good deal easier if you didn't disrespect the regional rule. The guards remained standing, to keep an uneasy eye on Dante, who also didn't kneel.
 
“Your Majesty,” the Drifter said, lifting his head to look at her, “I am the Drifter, emissary of Queen Emi-run and the Kingdom of Alajra. I fear that one of my group has created damage of property and bodily harm to multiple residents in the castle town area.” He lowered his head further.
 
“That'd be me, Gorgeous,” Dante smiled and winked. Zelda didn't spare him a glance.
 
“I see,” she said, turning to the Captain. “What exactly are the charges, Captain?”
` “Seventeen counts of unprovoked violence, thirteen counts of assaulting a guard, currently uncountable counts of wanton destruction of merchandise, and one count of arson, Your Majesty.”
 
“Arson?”
 
“Yes, Your Majesty. Talon's Milk Bar, in one of the back alleys of the Castle Town Market.”
 
` The Drifter spoke up. “I recognize that these crimes cannot be ignored, yet it must be brought to your attention that we are on a mission of great importance.”
 
Zelda returned her gaze to the Drifter. “And what is this mission, that you would have me deal with these crimes immediately, rather than letting them run through the proper channels?”
 
“A mission that should touch the ears of only those that need know,” answered the Drifter.
 
Zelda nodded to the guards in the room, but not before looking to Link, and they took their leave. The guards shuffled unhappily through the doors, leaving the Princess alone with the group. The high ceiling of the throne room echoed with the rustling of clothing and the slight clink of metal as the group stood.
 
“Now then,” she said, “Before we continue, I would know who you all are.”
 
“Indeed,” replied the Drifter. “I am, as said before, the Drifter, emissary of Queen Emi-run of the Kingdom of Alajra. With me is Cloud Strife of Edge, a former mercenary.” He motioned to Cloud, and Cloud bowed respectfully, if begrudgingly.
 
“Drizzt Do'Urden of Mithral Hall, formerly of Ten-Towns and Menzoberranzen, a ranger.” The drow bowed low, his lavender eyes twinkling.
 
“And Dan—“
 
“I'm Dante, Demon Hunter Extraordinaire, Possessed of masculine charm the likes of which you've never seen, and proprietor of the establishment `Devil May Cry'.” Dante smiled lewdly. “But you can call me whatever you feel like, Beautiful.”
 
Not a muscle on Zelda's face moved. “Indeed, it would seem that I have never heard of any of these places. Neither in dealing with diplomats from foreign regions, nor even in stories we tell to our children. Where, I ask, do you come from exactly?”
 
A wry grin played on the Drifters face. “Explaining our mission would answer that question, Your Majesty.”
 
The Princess nodded. “Very well then.”
 
“Our mission,” said the Drifter “is to stop demons from ignoring the borders between the worlds.” He paused, but Zelda only waited for him to continue. “Until recently, demons stayed in the hells that had been open to them, always seeking to escape to the Material Plane. Somehow, they have discovered the existence of other worlds.”
 
“Discovered? It is my knowledge that demons are indeed aware of the existence of other worlds, and thus are trying to break into them.”
 
“Truly, this is and has always been the case,” said the Drifter.
 
“You're telling me,” said Dante. Despite himself, Drizzt couldn't help but smile at the comment.
 
“Then why come here? Is Hyrule in immediate danger?”
 
The Drifters face hid no lies. “Yes, Your majesty. Hyrule is threatened, as is Edge, Mithral Hall, and Earth. It is true that this world differs from the hells that demons originate from, but so does this world from my world.”
 
A line of confusion played out on the Princess's forehead. “I fail to see how my world can differ from your world, Drifter. Here you stand, a human as you would have me believe, no strange altercations about you…”
 
“If you would be so kind, My Lady, to extend your hand?”
 
Zelda looked quizzically at him, but held out her hand nonetheless.
 
“There,” said the Drifter, “you have just brushed a thousand different worlds. Though you can't see them, feel them, or sense them in any way, they are there. Right now, a battle is being fought at this very spot. A dying woman is holding her child's hand, right here.” He raised both his arms, extending them as far as they would reach. “The worlds overlap, Your Majesty, entire universes occupying the same space, but out of reach.” He let his arms drop. “It is these worlds, Your Majesty, all of these worlds, which the demons have learned of. They see beyond the small possibilities of the single world they are used to, be it Hyrule, Faerun, or another, into the endless possibilities of everywhere.
 
Zelda's eyes went wide as realization came over her. A breathy, “Oh…” was all she could say.
 
The Drifter looked her in the eye. “Know that I am not lying to you, Your Majesty. I do like to keep knowledge of the other worlds limited, as things can get a bit…messy, when worlds open up to one another. I would ask that until such time as you deem it wise, that you would keep this information to yourself.”
 
The Princess just nodded, not trusting herself to speak after such a revelation.
 
“My hope is to eliminate the threat before it becomes too great. I do not fool myself into thinking that I can destroy every demon. I do believe I can eliminate the ones with the power to lead a break through to the other worlds. Nor do I feel that I can do this by myself.”
 
“Giving you cause to search out these individuals,” Zelda finished for him.
 
The Drifter smiled. “Exactly. Each of these men I have seen in battle multiple times, though not even they knew it. I have selected them from amongst many as the best candidates with the greatest chance of success. Link was the second I approached. Unfortunately,” the Drifter's tone dropped, “it would appear that my plans might have been set into motion later than desirable.”
 
Link's face darkened at this, and Navi flew a bit closer.
 
“A group of orcs was following me as I led Navi back to Hyrule. While it might have been quicker to approach Drizzt sooner, having stopped in Faerun for a short while, I thought I had the time to reunite the two. After hearing Navi's story, I could do nothing but help her. It was when the orcs followed me to where the world was stretched thin, that they broke through, into the Lost Woods, where Link fought them off.”
 
“An entire band of orcs?” Drizzt cut in, the Drifters words having brought a sinking feeling to his gut.
 
“I take it this is an unusual occurrence?” asked Zelda
 
“Yes,” said Drizzt, having intimate knowledge of orc hunting parties. “While it' not uncommon at all for orcs to attack a lone traveler, it is for an entire party to follow a single target. The only reason I can think of as to why they would do that would be that they had orders.”
 
Drizzt's face fell. “No…”
 
The Drifter nodded. “We can only hope that I am wrong.”
 
There was a long, thoughtful silence. “Very well,” said Zelda, determination clear on her face. “I understand your urgency, Drifter. Know that you have the support of the Kingdom of Hyrule.” She turned to Dante. “As for you, Dante, I am willing to overlook your transgressions this time. This does not mean, however, that you have free reign to--“
 
“Yeah, yeah,” cut in Dante. “Don't start fights until I'm famous enough to get out of them scott free, got it.” He rolled his arm, as if preparing for a fight. “Well, then, gents…shall we get going?”
 
“As crass as Dante may be, he does get the job done, Your Majesty. Indeed it would be wise to gather the last member of our group before leaving Hyrule.”
 
Zelda blinked in surprise. “Here? As much as Hyrule prides itself on its militaristic capabilities, I can think of no one—“
 
“The man in question is not Hylian, Your Majesty. Neither can he be found in Hyrule currently. It is Hyrule, though,” said the Drifter, raising his hand to stay the questions on everyone's tongue, “through which he can be reached.” He looked at the confused face of the Princess. “Would you like to accompany us to the Temple of Time, Your Majesty?”