Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ The Guardian Chronicles: Book 1 ❯ Storm Warning ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Later, back at the beach house…

"G'night Starfire." Angela called sleepily as she walked into her room.

"Goodnight."

"Don't you ever sleep, chere?" Remy asked. After the battle earlier this evening, he looked about ready to drop.

"Very little. I really don't understand why you people insist on sleeping so much, especially at night. The moons won't damage your eyes nearly so much as the sun."

"Moons?" Remy asked, his confusion showing clearly.

"Pardon?" Starfire asked, not sure what about her statement had been so confusing.

"You said `moons'."

"No, I did not." Starfire answered.

"Yes you-oh, never mind. G'night." Remy said giving up. But he wondered where that had come from. After all, there was only one moon.

"Goodnight, Remy."

She sat alone on the balcony now, everyone else was asleep. She was suddenly acutely aware of how lonely she was. She picked up her flute and began to play an old song she'd heard once, "The Lonely Moon." She was so absorbed by her music, she didn't realize she was no longer alone…

…Until someone reached out and placed a hand on her shoulder. She jumped, visibly startled and turned to see who it was.

"Warren!" she yelped.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you," he answered quietly.

"Y-you d-didn't." she stammered.

He laughed. She was only able to hold a straight face for a moment before she broke out into a grin.

"Well, maybe just a little," she admitted.

His smile faded. She was in an unusually good mood. Too good. It almost seemed…forced.

"What's wrong?" Warren asked quietly.

Starfire mood changed suddenly, "What makes you think anything is wrong?" she asked guardedly.

"That has got to be the absolutely saddest song you know," Warren states calmly.

"So?" She was being even more guarded now.

He sighed. She was being difficult again. He tried a different approach. "You were lying earlier."

She stiffened. "About what?"

"Inferno, if nothing else."

She turned and faced him, angry. "What would you know, anyway."

He sighed. He was tired of playing games with her. "I know you well enough to know you tell us what you want, when you want, and that you rarely tell us the whole truth."

She was positively fuming now. This…child…presumed to know how she thinks. To know HER!

"I don't know how much you think you know me, but you don't! A child like you can't possibly hope to understand how I feel!" She was just short of yelling now, only because she doesn't want to wake the other senshi and bring them into this. She leapt off the balcony, not bothering to be careful, and landed hard. Her ankle twisted at an odd angle, but she took off running anyway, ignoring it. She couldn't believe she'd ever thought he was different, that he, of all people, could understand.

He just stood there, dumbfounded. He wasn't sure what he'd done, but he'd never seen her that angry. Something inside him told him to go after her, to apologize, to do SOMETHING. But he didn't move, simply for the reason that he DID know her, he DID understand her, and he knew that right now it was best to leave her alone. He sat down to wait. He'd give her an hour. Then he'd go look for her.