Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ The Guardian Chronicles: Book 1 ❯ Harsh Memories and Harsher Realities ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Later…

"She's pretty much healed herself, but still unconscious," Jean said.

Warren walked into Starfire's bedroom. The others went back to their rooms to try and get a few more hours sleep. He sat down on the edge of the bed.

`Where am I?'

`Don't tell me you've forgotten us already.'

`Forgotten who? Who are you?'

`Zhane…'

`Who are you? Why can't I see you?'

`Arago wants the Inferno. He wants you dead. You must stop him.'

`I can't. Not without the Ronins.'

`You can. You have Kokuenoh. You have the Z-senshi. Byakuen is waiting for you inside the Dynasty. One of the Ronins is there as well.'

`One of the Ronins?! Which one?!'

`Wildfire.'

`How can I find him?'

`I can't tell you.'

`Who are you?'

`I can't tell you that, either.'

`Well, dammit, what can you tell me?'

`Zhane…love…it's time for you to wake up!'

`Wait! What did you just call me?'

Starfire-"Skye…please…wait…"

Warren snapped awake. He looked over at Starfire from the window seat. He could have sworn she said something. She sat bolt upright and screamed.

"Skye!"

Warren was at her side in an instant. He grabbed her shoulders.

"Zhane! Zhane! It's me, Warren!"

She looked at him, wide-eyed, and then flung her arms around his neck and sobbed. He was startled, but he put his arms around her and held her anyway.

Angela chose that particular moment to look in and, seeing Starfire in…capable hands, decided to leave them alone.

"Mornin' chere," Remy said. He didn't look like he'd slept well. None of them had.

"Good mornin', swamp rat," Angela replied with a smile.

Scott walked in, yawning, "I thought I heard someone yell."

"Starfire," Angela replied, "She's alright now."

Back in Starfire's room…

Starfire pulled just far enough away to look him in the eyes, then lowered her head. "Thank-you. I-I'm sorry."

Warren smiled. "It's alright. Feel better?"

Starfire smiled too, faintly. "Yes."

She stood and walked to the window. He followed.

"Warren?" she asked.

"Hmm?"

"Thank-you. For caring."

He stood there silently for a moment, not quite sure what to do. Then he noticed the resignation written all over her face.

"What happened out there?" he asked.

"A trap," she paused, "The warlords, I have to stop them."

Warren nearly panicked. "You can't be serious! You go after them again and they'll kill you!"

Starfire's voice remained calm. "If I don't go after them, they'll kill everyone on your planet. Besides, I have Kokuenoh, and Wildfire and Byakuen are waiting for me inside the Dynasty."

"Who?" he asked, confused.

"Kokuenoh and Byakuen are…old friends. I'm really not sure who this Wildfire is, just that I have to find him and help him," she answered.

"Not without us, you're not."

Starfire and Warren turn toward the doorway, startled. The other Z-senshi were standing there, their intensions obvious.

"So, when do we leave?" Remy asked.

About an hour later, out on the beach…

"Kokuenoh! Come!" Starfire yelled.

The big, black tiger came bounding out of the shadows around the house, and rushed toward Starfire. Warren braced himself to help her as the big animal knocked her over. However, her laughter as she pushed the tiger off and chided it as one might chide a young child assured him all was well.

"An old friend?" Warren asked, amused.

"Kokuenoh is a lot older than you are, and we've been teammates before," she replied, "I met him on my first assignment here, when I first encountered the warlords."

She turned away and seemed to be studying the waves for several long moments before speaking again. "Ready?"

"Whenever you are." Scott responded.

Starfire waved a hand and chanted several words in a language the senshi didn't recognize. They were aware of the sudden silence as the air before her rippled and tore, creating what could best be described as a tear in reality. She stepped through and vanished, and was immediately followed by Kokuenoh. The Z-senshi hesitated only for a moment before following her. The tear sealed behind them, and the night sounds resumed, leaving no sign that anything unusual had occurred.