Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ The Guardian Chronicles: Book 1 ❯ Who is Starfire? ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A short time later…

They entered the throne room, Ronins and Warlords alike in full armor. A sudden, chill laughter filled the room. The door slammed behind them, and the found themselves face to face with the demon himself. Arago.

"So, betrayed by my own. No matter. I will destroy you all, and take back what is rightfully mine," Arago's voice filled them all with a sudden dread.

"Over my dead body." All eyes turned to Starfire as her body suddenly burst into flame. The flame swirled around her body and formed into an armor, white as snow. Her voice became icy; her storm blue eyes seemed to glow with power.

"That's the idea."

The two Dark Knights and Warren could only watch as Ronins and Warlords alike leapt into battle. At first, it looked as though they might have a chance, especially with the strange new power Starfire possessed. However, Starfire seem to have little control over the immense power at her command. Warren ran to her as she was thrown to one side of the battle.

Her vision swam. She looked up at Warren, seemed to see him through a white haze. No, the truth came abruptly, not a white haze. A white glow! Coming from him! Kaos's words came back to her suddenly, `I give you this armor to wear and protect till you find it's true bearer.' Warren! Warren's the true Inferno!

Her armor orb appeared in her hand. "Warren," she whispered, "the crystal, take it."

He looked at her, confused. "But don't you need it?"

"No," he could barely hear her. "It's yours. You're Inferno. You always have been. I'm an idiot for not seeing it before." She held the crystal up again. "Take it!"

He clasped shaking fingers around the little crystal and screamed as fire suddenly enveloped his body. When he could see again, he looked down at her. She was smiling up at him, before shutting her eyes and going still. His eyes blazed as he set her down gently and stood to join the battle. He stretched his wings and started, realizing that they were not only healed, but that the armor covered them, as well. He smiled. Anyone who saw him just then would have sworn the Angel of Death had come down from heaven to kill Arago personally.

Arago was first startled to see Inferno, then angry. He could see Starfire lying nearby, motionless. That could only mean one thing. The Inferno walking towards him was the true Inferno. Nearby, unnoticed, Raenafel watched and waited.

As Inferno approached Arago, the Warlords and most of the Ronins fell back, simply knowing that this was no longer their fight. Only Wildfire fell in beside him. They were flanked by Byakuen on Wildfire's side and Kokuenoh at Inferno's.

Arago sneered. "So it's come to this, has it? Very well. Prepare to be destroyed."

Inferno's face was set as he replied, "No, daemon, it is you who will be destroyed. We will finish-"

"-what Kaos began 1000 years ago." Wildfire finished.

"Come, then." Arago challenged.

The battle was brief, but vicious. The outcome had been determined 1000 years before. Arago knew that, but he fought anyway, determined that if he was going to die, he would take the two warriors with him. In the end, he called for help from the one person who could change the outcome, the one who could destroy Wildfire and Inferno. "Raenafel…help me…" he rasped.

**I told you, I care little for your battle with the Ronins. I only want the one who brought them here.**

**She's dead.**

**If she were dead, I wouldn't still be here. I care nothing for your battle. If your obsession with the Nine Rings gets you killed, so be it.**

**They'll destroy you.**

**They can't. You know that, as do I. Good-bye Arago. We will not meet again.**

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Arago's cry as his soul was ripped from his body could be heard throughout the Nether Realm. Somewhere, Kaos's soul finally rested, content that Arago had been destroyed once and for all.

The Ronins, Warlords, and remaining Dark Knights gathered around their victorious warriors. Kayura leaned on Dais, relieved.

"Is it finally over?" Kayura asked quietly.

Before Dais could answer, chill laughter cut the air. All the warriors turned and found themselves face to face with Lady Raenafel.

"Far from it, my child. It has only just begun. You betrayed me. You have all outlived your usefulness. Now you will die."

"Not today, `mother'." Wildfire prepared her attack. " Flare up Now!!!"

"Rage of the Inferno!"

"Star Storm Blast!"

"Black Flame Sniper!"

"Arrow Shock Wave!"

"Iron Rock Crusher!"

"Web of Deception!"

"Black Lightening Slash!"

"Quake with Fear!"

"Snake Fang Strike!"

"Thunder Bolt Cut!"

"Super Wave Smasher!"

"Did we get her?" Hardrock/Angela asked.

Angela's answer comes in the form of the same chill laughter they heard moments before. As the smoke cleared, Raenafel still stood where she had been a moment before, without a scratch on her!

"If you're done playing around, I suggest we get started." Raenafel began to change. There had always been something-not quite human about Raenafel. By the time the change was complete, she did not look human at all. Her ears were larger, pointed. Her hands had gone from five fingers to four. Her hair was longer, past her ankles. Her eyes were golden, like a snake's. Her features were more delicate, her body more slender. (Basically, for those unfamiliar with the world of fantasy, she's an elf.) "Now then, if you wish to live, leave. Keep your pathetic armors. I don't care. I only want Zhane."

"Who?" Strata/Remy asked.

"She's dead." Inferno/Warren stated coldly.

Raenafel was laughing again, "Foolish boy, I'm no idiot. If she were dead, I would know it. Now, get out of my way, or pay the consequences."

Inferno didn't move. Raenafel moved forward faster than Inferno would have thought possible. She placed a hand on him briefly, and he stumbled backward, clutching his chest. Pain shot through his entire body.

"Don't touch him…"

All eyes turned to toward the voice. What they saw was a shock to all, except Raenafel. She just smiled. Another elf walked toward them. She was covered with blood, holding a gaping wound in her side. Her clothes, what was left of them, anyway, were barely decent. She was shorter than Raenafel, thinner, probably younger. Her storm blue eyes, tanned skin, and waist-length black hair were the only things that hinted at her identity. Starfire.

"Ahh, there you are, Zhane. I was beginning to wonder if you'd escaped during the battle. That would be just like you, traitor," Raenafel hissed.

"I'm neither a coward nor a traitor, Winnowill. Those titles both belong to you."

Winnowill smiled. "So, you do remember me. Good. It will be so much more satisfying if you know who destroyed you."

Starfire continued forward. The warriors parted, letting her through. She paused when she got to Inferno, reached over, and gently touched the side of his face. Instantly, the pain vanished. He looked at her, noting the pain and sadness in her eyes. She turned away and faced Winnowill. Winnowill made a motion with her hand, and all the warriors were thrown back twenty feet. An energy barrier came up in front of them. Starfire stood alone now. She was dying, she knew that. But she was not about to give up. There were too many people counting on her, too much at stake.

"It's over, Zhane. Give up and die quietly," Winnowill purred, knowing Starfire would never surrender to her.

"Never, snake," Starfire rasped.

"You can call me names, but what should I call you? What are you? I know what I am. What are you, Starfire?" Winnowill asked, her voice still a soft purr.

Starfire opened her mouth to answer and shut it again, not sure how to answer.

Winnowill smiled. "You don't know, do you? Allow me to help, then."

Starfire's vision blurred suddenly. She shook her head. When her vision cleared, Winnowill was still there. But she wasn't alone. Starfire was now surrounded by several women. She was sure she'd seen them before, but it wasn't until she spotted one in particular that she realized who they are. The one that caught her eye was herself as a human, the form she'd just shed in favor of her true form. She knew them now. They were her! All the forms she'd ever held. One of them moved toward her. An elven girl she didn't recognize. A child, barely sixteen. Wild as she must have been at that age. Starfire didn't realize she'd fallen to her knees until the girl knelt down in front of her. "Who are you?" the girl asked.

"I-I'm-Zhane." Starfire stammered, then yelped, as the girl backhanded her.

"You're not Zhane! You don't even remember what that name means! It's just a word to you. You're Starfire. I'm Zhane!" the girl yelled.

Starfire flinched. She recognized the girl, now. It was her, as she had been before she'd fled Winnowill's kingdom. Before she'd met Skye and his brother Blade. Somehow, Skye's words came back to her.

Who are you?

I'm Zhane.

Right. You're Zhane. You're not Winnowill's pawn, like the rest of the Windriders. You're your own person. She can't take that away from you. No matter what happens, no matter where you go, you will always be Zhane. And I will always love you. Never forget, you are never alone.

"NO!" Starfire lashed out with her power, destroying all the fake versions of herself, and faced Winnowill. "NO!" She cried again. "You do not control me! I shook off your power long ago! You have no power over me!" She lunged and caught Winnowill's hands with her own. Winnowill put all her power into the attack, dropping the energy shield. The warriors moved forward to help Starfire, but were thrown back by the storm of power surrounding the dueling elves. The entire building began to shake.

"We have to get out of here!" Wildfire yelled, "The whole building's coming down!"

The warriors turned to flee, but Inferno hesitated, turning back. Anubis grabbed his arm. "You'll do her no good dead! Come on!" he yelled.

**Go, Warren. I'll be fine, whether I survive this or not. Live for me. You must go. Wildfire is the leader, but you are the strongest, now. Hope holds the team together. Help the Warlords learn to be Ronins. Help the Dark Knights learn to be Paladins. You must! GO, NOW!!** She gave him a mental shove.

Warren turned and fled with the others, barely catching the telepathic message flung his way. **I love you…**

A short time later…

The assembled warriors stood looking at what is left of the fortress. The battle was over. They had won. But not without a price. One brave warrior was dead. Jean was being supported by Scott, trying desperately not to cry. Angela wasn't so lucky. She was wrapped in her boyfriend's arms, sobbing her heart out. Anubis reached out and placed a hand on Warren's shoulder, knowing nothing he can say will ease the young man's heart. Warren was clutching the small, clear crystal Starfire had given him, seriously considering throwing it into the seemingly bottomless waters surrounding the pathway.

"We defeated Arago. The Dynasty is free of their rule. But Winnowill won." Warren turned to leave. The other warriors followed.

"Did she?"

All eyes turned to see the battered, familiar figure walking slowly away from the wreckage. Starfire had a weak, but pleased smile on her face. Warren only hesitated for a moment before breaking away from the group and running towards her. He collected her up into his arms and kissed her before she could protest.

Dais grinned. "Well. I guess things are going to be pretty interesting from now on."