Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Spira's Wake ❯ Confessions of a Yami ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

YAY!! Two chapters up and running! I hope you like them!
 
Disclaimer: I own nothing but this story and the character Yunie
 
Chapter 29
 
Confessions of a Yami
 
Light then a scream, darkness then a yell. The flashing light and sounds echoed throughout the hall of the cave. Fiends who dwelt within the darkness kept still, almost in fear...Perhaps they knew a very hard struggle was going on in the circular room of their cave…or perhaps they were afraid of what was in there…It was uncertain.
 
But the smell of battle wasn't.
 
Marik was at his breaking point. He was out of breath, his sword feeling heavy in his weak arms. It felt as though they had been fighting for days without rest but it was only fifteen minutes. In fifteen minutes he and his dark friends along with Jou, Kaiba, and Honda, had gone straight at Yojimbo while his ravenous dog remained under the spell of the swords of revealing light. They all saw the flicker of surprise within the ghost man's eyes, though it didn't stay there long.
 
They knew he wasn't expecting them all to attack him at once.
 
“Quite impressive…” The ghost crossed his translucent arms and stared at the half dead warriors before him. “You would fight to your last to protect them? I must ask…why?”
 
“That's a stupid question!” Bakura rose on shaking legs, his sword in a two handed grip.
 
“Humor this old, dead man.” He stated as the swords of revealing light disappeared, freeing his otherworldly companion. “Why just not let them die here? At least three of you are dark in itself…Why not just let everyone die? You know very well you would be able to survive…”
 
He was addressing Yami, Bakura, and Marik. This they knew because Jou and Honda had passed out not but five minutes ago, Kaiba was heading that way.
 
“Because they are our friends.” Yami breathed out. Even for him, the King of games and darkness, this battle was wearing down on him. It needed to end soon otherwise no one would be able to leave these walls alive.
 
The ghost man pondered this for a brief moment. “Not good enough…” He snapped his fingers, the barrier around Yunie, Yugi, and Ryou tightened around them.
 
“Ryou!” Bakura shouted then glared at the Aeon spirit. “The hell are you doing!!?? You're supposed to be LIGHT! How the hell can you just sit there and kill your own people!?”
 
The man raised an eyebrow. “I must do what is right for the good of everyone…If it means I must kill then so be it…Now I'll ask you again…why are you, creatures of dark, helping creatures of light? For that matter, why are you even allowing humans in your presence? I can understand that one beside you because he is dark like yourselves…but…why the others?”
 
In his calculating mind, Yami paused then stood. Marik and Bakura looked at him silently. His face had turned into the face of the ruler he once was…serious and calm. The two looked at each other…Yami knew something they didn't…
 
“Yugi was the one whom took me from my prison…” Yami told the man. “He gave me a chance to live, though living within a body that is not your own may seem dismal at best…It is better than the puzzle.” He stared at Yugi's unconscious form. “When I had first met him face to face, I knew that we would be together for a time…I saw a scared, innocent body that needed guidance and protection…which I had given to him in payment for freeing me. I did not understand his ways, crying for your enemies…having no hatred within your heart…I simply knew that I needed to protect him, to guide him…Otherwise he would not make it.” He sighed. “It was once my memories were restored that I knew…I knew the gist of everything…I did not protect a boy for a good two years just because I had to repay him…I protected him because he is precious to me.” His eyes hardened. “He is my Aibou, my partner…in life and hopefully in death if that ever comes. He is my everything, and I will not allow the likes of you to take him away.”
 
The dead man stared at Yami for a moment then chuckled.
 
“You have a brilliant mind, black mage…” He said then snapped his fingers.
 
And Yugi was placed in Yami's arms, purple eyes wide with tears, staring up at his Yami.
 
“Yami…” The boy hugged him tightly. “I…I didn't know…you felt that way…I knew you loved me but…” His tears wet Yami's shirt. “Not so deeply…”
 
Yami was a bit surprised to find his crying Hikari within his arms. The surprised died away as he wrapped his arms around the boy that was his life.
 
“I meant every word.” He told him.
 
Marik and Bakura watched the scene as a light bulb formed in their minds. Seems this is a test for the Yamis of the group…But…what kind of test?
 
“You must bear your soul…” Yami told them. “It appears to me that Yojimbo will not follow the likes of Yamis, hence he was quite confused seeing us with the others…Tell him what you feel of Ryou, of Yunie…and he will see that we are not like the fiends within his resting place…that we are not like Seymour.”
 
Bakura snorted. “No way in hell.” He looked toward his light. His weak, pathetic light…The boy needed some muscle so Bakura gave it to him, but was he grateful? Hell no. Still…he had grown attached to the boy…
 
And besides…You take something that belongs to Bakura, you suffer the consequences.
 
“Ryou is mine.” Bakura glared at the spirit. “You touch him you die.”
 
The spirit raised an eyebrow. “Straight to the point I see…And just why is he yours pray tell? I need a better answer than that poor excuse of a threat.”
 
Bakura growled, ready to strike the spirit again when he paused and looked down.
 
Yugi was there, holding his hand and staring up at him with his big purple eyes. Bakura could tell why the Pharaoh would love such an innocent creature.
 
“Bakura…It's okay…” The young light's smile nearly broke the wall around Bakura's heart. “Besides, Seito is out cold…He won't know and I know Yami won't say a word…”
 
Bakura turned to the Pharaoh who nodded silently. At least he knew one thing was true, a Pharaoh always kept his word.
 
Bakura slumped his shoulders. “Fine…” He looked at his light again, helpless to do anything.
 
Yugi squeezed his hand. “Just say what's in your heart…”
 
Bakura uncharacteristically gave Yugi's hand a squeeze then let it go. He stepped forward, his eyes on his unconscious Hikari within the barrier behind the spirit.
 
“Ryou….” He wanted to stop, to just kick the spirit's ass and be done with it, but that proved to be the wrong way to end this…If he wanted Ryou back, he would have to confess. His mouth was forming the words, hard as it was for him for he had never had to say this to anyone…
 
But for Ryou, his light, his hikari…He would say anything…just to touch him again.
 
“Ryou…I'm sorry…” Bakura felt a weight lift from his shoulders. “I'm sorry for all the crap I've put you through…Hell I've almost killed you what? Twice? Now that I'm human again, and now that the Pharaoh has completely kicked my ass Ra knows how many times…You still stay with me. Why?” He let his sword clang to the ground. “Why do you still care for me when all I've done is beat you, yell at you, use you…Why won't you just leave so that you can stay safe? I didn't get it then…but I…sort of get it now…It's your nature, you're a Hikari after all…MY hikari…” He glared at the spirit. “And I won't let some asshole spirit taint you or kill you…”
 
The spirit paused.
 
“That will do.” Then Ryou was in Bakura's arms, hugging the Yami tightly.
 
“I forgive you, Bakura…” Ryou said. “And I always will.”
 
The two embraced, neither wanted to let the other go…Yugi was so happy for them…now the Hikari's knew just want their Yamis felt…it was an understanding…a deep understanding that made them closer. He turned to go to his own Yami when he stopped.
 
Marik was still there, and Yunie was still unconscious within the barrier.
 
Marik was a little apprehensive; he remembered the conversation he had with Yami way back in Crystal Tokyo, how he-Marik-was a Yami though not in the way Bakura and the Pharaoh were. He could step into darkness and not feel the pressure, but he was human. Did this mean this test was for him also? It had to be…Otherwise his light, his hikari, wouldn't be with the others.
 
With this thought in mind, Marik stepped forward.
 
“I've done many terrible things…” He sighed, his shoulders suddenly felt heavy. “I wanted power and was greedy…So greedy that I turned my back on my King, revolted against him…I took away people's lives and toyed with them, just to gain power…” He bowed his head. “For a time, I didn't think I would be able to compensate for all that I've done, all the people I've hurt. Then…I end up here, a guardian to a summoner…and I find out I'm a Yami…” he shook his head. “All of this…seems to be happening too fast for my person to deal with, but I know I have to…” His hand clenched his sword. “When I found out that Yunie would leave some day, I was torn…I felt the anger come out again…I wanted to do any and everything to keep her here…Including revert back to past ways. That's when, I suppose, I found out that…I…” he dropped to the ground. “I'm in love with her…I'm in love with someone whose fate is to be taken away from me by spirits. Do you have any idea what that feels like? It makes me want to scream, it makes me want to tear you all from her so that she can stay here. I guess that's what Pharaoh and Bakura feel…But at least they know their Hikaris will stay by their sides, as the Pharaoh said, even in death…Mine…” His shoulders shook. “I don't think I'll have that privilege…”
 
Yugi watched as Marik barred his soul. Yugi wanted to go over and hug the man to death, to tell him everything was going to be alright.
 
The spirit paused for a long moment, then he smiled.
 
“It is uncanny how you and the other are so very much alike…You both had feelings for the summoner, knew they were to leave…yet you still care for them. Would you be willing to take her place?”
 
“In a heartbeat.” Marik stated.
 
The spirit nodded. “Good…” Then he snapped his fingers and Yunie was beside Marik. “Summoner…You have great, caring guardians around you…They would sacrifice everything to see that your mission is complete…This is true strength…Knowing that for the good of all, few must suffer.” He held out his hand. “You have my strength and knowledge…Use it well…” Then he and his dog went into Yunie.
 
Yunie opened her eyes after the merge and turned them to Marik. He was still sulking beside her…she couldn't blame him.
 
She knelt to him and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. The Egyptian turned his teary eyes to her and she almost broke down.
 
“If it makes you feel any better…” She hugged him. “You are not alone in your feelings…I feel the same…”
 
They left the cave with a new purpose…Kaibe, Jou, and Honda wondered just what went on between the Hikaris and their Yamis for they appeared closer than ever before. Bakura and Ryou were talking, actually talking, Ryou blushing mostly. Yugi was upon Yami's back, humming and messing with the Pharaoh's unruly hair. Marik and Yunie were now holding hands, silently walking with each other at the lead.
 
Jou couldn't handle it anymore. He stopped.
 
“Alright! Spill! What da heck happened back there?” He yelled at his friends who stopped and stared at him.
 
The yamis and hikaris stared at one another, smiled.
 
“Let's just say…that we…have no secrets…” Yami smirked. “Not anymore.”
 
Kaiba, Jou, and Honda stared at one another as the strange behavior and shrugged. Perhaps someday they would know what happened…
 
 
 
Tell me what you think!
 
Next time: The Yamis have been tested and passed with flying colors…who will be tested next?