Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ "Dream of Me" Alternate Ending ❯ Marla ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: SE owns all this, except for the work on this particular story.
***

White dustsheets hung over all the furniture. The bed was stripped, the mattress gone. Even some of the paintings on the wall had disappeared.

Aeris blinked.

Had she walked into Sandria’s room by mistake?

No. Sandria was still prowling around here somewhere, and Sephiroth hadn’t said anything about getting rid of her.

Or--had he moved Aeris to servant’s quarters?

That seemed more likely. One of the servants had told her that it would be “weird” certainly, if Sephiroth had her work as a maid during the daytime and sleep in the lavish suite next to his.

That still left the question, though, of what part of this sprawling, opulent compound was “hers.”

There you are!” a voice sounded from behind her.

Aeris whirled around.

“Quiet! He’ll hear you!” she hissed. The words were out before she had a chance to think.

She saw the maid, Marla, appraising her--taking in the disarray of Aeris’ shirt and missing hair brooch.

Oh, I’ll just die if she winks!

But Marla only smiled, kindly, and held out a stack of linen garments. “I brought these for you,” she said. “I think they suit you a little better than the clothes we brought this morning.”

Aeris breathed a little easier as Marla entered the room and closed the oak door behind her.

“I’ll just change you in here, then.”

“Change me?”

“For tonight, dear,” she said, “Didn’t he tell you?” She was already unfolding several pre-warmed nightgowns and draping them over dust-clothed chairs.

You will find me in my chambers. I have other duties for you tonight.

“Tell me what?”

Marla looked up at her with a combination of pity and incredulous amazement. The amazement Aeris recognized from her days in the slums: people looked at her like that when they were bewildered by her naivete.

Aeris flushed a little.

I guess that’s my answer.

Marla looked away quickly, saying, “Well, come on, dear, pick one you like.”

“Look, I really don’t think--”

“How about this one?”

The nightdresses were, in fact, a distinct improvement over the ‘clothes’ she’d brought earlier in the day. The one Marla held buttoned up to the neck with little silk roses for buttons, and had long lace sleeves. Simple. Clean.

Opaque.

A definite step in the right direction.

Marla seemed to take her silence for acquiescence, and advanced on her. Aeris opened her mouth to protest, but she did need to wear something else. Anything else.

“Hey, I can--” She tried to get Marla to let her change herself, blushing again at the thought of Marla knowing about Sephiroth’s attentions. But Marla took the torn garments in a manner as brusque and businesslike as any hospital nurse and slipped the new gown over Aeris’ head.

“You’re just perfect for him, you know,” she said, lacing the nightdress behind Aeris, “Everyone thinks so.”

What?"

“Oh yes. So fresh and . . . real. He needs that. Not these glitzy shams who--nevermind that.” She took a step back, admiring her handiwork. “You look just lovely, dear.”

“Thank you, Marla, can you show me my new room now?”

Marla frowned. “So… you really don’t know?”

“Know what?” Aeris felt suddenly cold, despite the soft, warm fabric of the nightdress.

“Lord Sephiroth has requested that you spend the night in his room.”

Aeris blinked.

Of course, she had known this. And yet, hearing it out loud . . .

Spend the night.

“In his room?” she echoed.

Marla had her by the hand and was guiding her to the door. Aeris froze.

“Yes, dear, now come on. He hates being kept waiting.” She tugged harder on Aeris’ hand and Aeris felt her feet follow. The words “like a lamb to slaughter” echoed in her mind.

Should I run? How far would I get? Where could I go?

But outside Sephiroth’s door, Marla paused, hesitating before knocking. Suddenly, she turned to Aeris and whispered, “I don’t know if it’s a good idea to be telling you this or not--but no one’s ever shared a room with him before. Not even Lady Juna, and she was here the longest. Lord Sephiroth does not like to have anyone watch him sleep.”

She knocked.

“Come!” A low voice sounded through the door.

Marla squeezed Aeris’ hand. “Good luck,” she murmured.

Aeris swallowed.



Author’s Note:
Yes, I know that Aeris’ maid was supposed to be “Jamie,” not “Marla.” But I liked the Marla character better, so I combined them.