Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Darker Shade of Night ❯ Stone Dust ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note: Yes, I am aware that the band Queen does not exsist in the world of Final Fantasy VIII. But for the sake of this chapter, bare with me, okay?

Chapter Two

Stone Dust

For the first time ever, Squall sat at his desk and did nothing besides tap the end of his pencil in a rhythmic manner on the patterned wood surface. He rested his chin in his hand, stormy blue eyes focused solidly out the window of his office, staring hard but not seeing. There was too much on his mind. Besides, there was nothing really exciting about the bleak landscape Esthar had to offer, either.

"Great merciful Hyne, someone mark this down on the calendar. The commander is actually not up to his scar in paperwork."

"Hello to you too, Quistis." Squall said without even looking up, the tapping undisturbed. "I think we have to mark another event down as well. This is the first time I've seen you in months without Seifer attached at your hip."

"Ha, ha, very amusing, Mr. Commander." Quistis mused, crossing her arms in front of her in her trademark consenting way. "He's actually busy right now with those junior cadets that Fujin flushed out of the secret area last night. But that to the side…what can you possibly be brooding about? Rinoa says you've been up here for hours, just thinking."

"Lots to think about."

"It's not about those drawpoints, is it? So the ones at the school aren't functioning properly. Maybe it's because when we moved the Garden they were taken away from their natural source. I don't think it's truly something to get that worried about. Is that what's been bothering you the last week?"

Squall sighed, letting the pencil fall to the desk with a little clatter, and began to rummage around in one of his deck drawers. "It's not just that one. The entire school has dried up; the front gate, the Esuna draw in the library, and the Blizzard draw in the training center. Besides, they were working just fine up until last week. But those aren't the only ones that went dry, either," he added quickly before the blonde instructor could get two words in. "Last time I had SeeDs in Esthar I had them check the drawpoints around the city, and every single one of those are dry as well. Same with the world drawpoints. I had Xu put together a quick list of all registered drawpoints and had the residents of the areas inspect them, and every one was dry." He found what he was looking for at last. It was a small stack of papers with three columns; one of the type of drawpoint and what magic was found there, its location and it's current status. He slid the papers over to Quistis, who examined it over the frames of her glasses, her eyebrows rising steadily to her hairline. Every single registered drawpoint was as dry as a bone.

"What about the Islands Closest to Heaven and Hell?"

"Haven't checked there yet. I haven't found anyone brave enough to check it out. As soon as Irvine and Selphie are rested enough, I'll have them go there in the Ragnorok. We can get faster results that way."

Quistis looked through the sheets of paper for a few more moments before setting them on the corner of the desk. "What do you plan to do about it?"

"What can we do?" Squall rephrased her question. "We can't really go to the drawpoints and say 'Hey, work again.' Out best shot at any sort of answers is to see Dr. Odine. I had Xu try to arrange a meeting, but he's booked until next week with meetings and such." He shook his head in the way Quistis read that there was nothing more to say about the subject until they knew more about it.

"I just got back from Dr. Kadowaki's office, and she's very concerned right now. Those flu symptoms she told you about? They're getting worse, Squall. She's had fifty kids in this last week with these symptoms, and I'm seeing more of them in my classes before they get bad enough to go to the infirmary. And still, nothing she's giving them is helping at all. We got thirty kids on our hands that are too damn weak to get out of bed, and the faculty is getting worried. To make matters worse, there are some instructors that think they might be coming down with this too."

A feeling of grave unease chewed at the back of Squall's mind, making his insides turn in slow somersaults. Balamb Garden had very ill children in its care and not a damn way to treat it. "Are the juniors noticing it?"

"How can't they? Their friends are ill and very irritable. More than just a little, I mean - they make a ruby dragon with a toothache look like a puppy. Believe me, I had to deal with several of them in my class. And apparently this thing is contagious? This isn't your average flu, Squall. Something's definitely is not right."

The young man nodded, not even bothering to say anything. "How is she dealing with those who are concerned?"

"The only thing she can do; talk to them and assure them that it's nothing to worry about, just a flu outbreak that happens to be a little worse than what we're used to seeing in the past. Then she also has to deal with the kids who are over-reacting and think that they are getting to symptoms, so they request medicine to keep the symptoms back. She has to refuse them, of course, because it has to be saved for those who are really sick, but she's even running low, even though it's not doing anything." Quistis sighed. "Which brings me to the real reason why I am here. She needs some SeeDs to go into Esthar and pick up some more supplies. Not that they do anything; just to keep the junior's minds at ease for the time being until we get more information."

"She needs SeeD to get medical supplies? Why not just order it from Esthar and have them shipped here?"

"For one, the people are Esthar are scared to death to step beyond the city limits. There's no telling what's waiting to pounce on them out in the open. Besides, not only that, but we also got a request from their medical facilities saying that they should speak with us on a fairly important matter. Apparently they feel more comfortable talking to a SeeD than any other authority."

"Can you do it?"

Quistis shook her head. "I have a class to teach in half an hour. It will take us at least that long to get within city limits. I think Zell's been hanging around the last few days; why not send him. If you can get him away from Tashlin first, that is. And Selphie and Irvine, if they feel up to it."

Squall nodded. Who better to go then some of the most trusted SeeDs in Garden? "The sounds good. Can you at least inform them for me? I have to get back to work."

"No problem." Quistis said with a slight nod, pushing her glasses back onto the bridge of her nose before turning on her heel to leave the office. Just as the doors hissed open, Squall heard Quistis' voice again. "Oh, hi Xu."

"Hello Quistis." The other female SeeD greeted her. "Is commander Leonhart available or is he still off in his own little world?"

A short soft laugh came from the instructor before she could answer. "For the time being, yes, but you might want to catch him now before he slips back. I'll see you later, I have to get ready for the next class." The two women saluted before heading in their separate ways.

"Yes, Xu?" Squall asked once the doors had closed behind Quistis.

"I know this is the last thing you want to hear, commander, but I just received a message from the Esthar palace."

"Big day for requests." Squall said, mostly to himself. He could almost guess what it was the next thing Xu was going to tell him, and that thought was putting his mood into a further slump.

It seemed as if Xu knew this as well, and almost hesitated in finishing the rest of her message. "It's from the president himself, sir. And he wants to speak to you directly and in person."

That was exactly what Squall dreaded hearing. He sighed and slid down in his chair a little. "Did he say why?"

"No, sir." Xu said, fidgeting a bit where she stood.

Squall sat back in his chair, thinking. If it were up to him, he would turn down the President's offer. But, being the commander of the most influential Garden, he really did not have a choice. "All right." He agreed, not bothering to mask the reluctance in his voice. But if I'm going down, then I'm not going alone. "Do you know if Selphie or any of the others are available to go to Esthar? Dr. Kadowaki needs someone to visit their medial facility."

"Selvine has been in the Garden since yesterday." Squall almost smiled at the nonchalant way that Quistis spoke the nickname they had long ago dubbed for the couple. In fact, all of the couples of their little group had nicknames for each other as result of too much drinking one night while they were all out on the town. The inside joke was that since they were almost always together with their significant others, they might as well have been meshed into one person, and so those people needed their own names. These names were, in retrospect, Squinoa, Selvine, Sefistis, and Tashel. What was even more surprising was the fact that the names had stuck around all those years, and now they were spoken as a way to save on time and without a second thought. "Selphie's having the Ragnorok tuned up, though. Apparently Trabia had a mid-summer snowstorm, and the Ragnorok's winter protection had been disconnected to shield it against the freeze. She told me the engine was making some funny noises, so if you're going to Esthar, then you'll have to take the long way and drive. Luckily, the number of monsters in this area is low as of right now, so you may be lucky enough to get in and out without any problem." Squall nodded slowly. It was well known by now that the monsters that were called down by the Lunar Cry were much more aggressive than they usually were, and have been known to attack moving vehicles in the very plains of the continent. It got so bad that he had no choice but to limit the commute to Esthar by airway only.

"Alright then. Contact Selphie, Irvine and Zell; they are to report to the medical facility of Esthar to pick up Dr. Kadowaki's request and to find out what it is they wanted to talk to us about. And Rinoa's going to accompany me to the Esthar Palace for my meeting with the president."

"For moral support?" Xu asked, raising a questioning eyebrow.

"In a way. Besides, it's an excuse to spend some time with her, even if it is a lousy one."

Xu only nodded. "I'll tell them right away, sir." She turned on her booted heel and left his office to inform his comrade of their mission. Shaking his head, Squall took the time to stretch his arms over his head before following her only a few moments afterwards.

* * *

Rinoa sat on the edge of the grand desk, studying her boots as she swung her feet in and out of her site. She knew that, properly, she should have been standing while in the president's company, ridged, eyes forward and back straight, not speaking unless spoken to… But the President of Esthar had not stopped insisting that she need not do that until she relaxed just enough to get him off her back. There was still that nagging at the back of her head that told her that she should still show the proper respect when in his company - that was what she got for having a general for a father - but, she also reminded herself, Laguna was not your standard president, either. While Deling was never seen in public in anything but a suit, Rinoa had yet to see Laguna wear anything else besides his casual clothes. And the man was never in a sour mood; he was naturally good-natured, always joking, always with that big, goofy smile on his face. And he seemed to like her well enough; he was all but calling her his daughter-in-law, for Hyne's sake! And, despite how her fiancé felt, she liked Laguna well enough.

She often came with Squall when he was requested to speak to the president was not the most horrible assignment she ever had. Although she did not say much during the meeting, she was more there for moral support, but even then, a person would have to be stupid to think that she was merely there to hold his hand. What frightened her was what would happen if she did not come with Squall at times like this. Between Laguna constantly trying to get on Squall's good side and Squall trying to keep as much emotional distance away from his as he could, the tension in the office was so thick that she could feel it. Rinoa shook her head, sadly. Even though her and her father could have been closer, it was never quite this bad. She hoped deep down that someday, maybe someday, they could get along.

Everyone else was in their standard positions; Squall standing as if he had been Petrified before the President's desk, hardly blinking. Kiros and Ward stood off to their sides, not as stiff, but they could feel the tension as well and were hinting at their own unease. And Laguna was…still being Laguna, facing out towards the magnificent city and talking with grand flourishes of his hands, as energetic as a young boy. But today…today there was something different about him, like a shadow that lay under his seemingly cheerful tone, unseen but definitely there.

"The reports I'm getting in from your patrols are very good…they say that has been a dramatic decrease in the number of monsters that surround Esthar! We all knew it would take a while, but it looks like once again we've beaten the Lunar Cry!" Despite the victorious tone in his voice, Rinoa knew almost immediately that this was not the reason why Laguna wanted to talk to them. Apparently, this was exactly what Squall was thinking too.

"Either that or we've just been driving them out of Esthar and to other parts of the world." Squall's voice was the complete opposite of his father's; curt and too the point, and saying very clearly, "this is not the reason why you called us in." And, to her surprise, to say the least, Laguna picked up on that immediately as well. The president coughed nervously before putting on an air so serious that Rinoa hardly recognized him.

"Well…yeah, actually. The only thing is I'm not sure how much SeeD can help in this situation, I'm just concerned. A few days ago I got word from the medical facility of a major outbreak of some strain of what appears to be a flu bug, but with…some differences."

At this, Rinoa and Squall gave each other hooded looks, both of them dreading what was going to be said next. Squall spoke first; maybe hearing it from their own mouths would not make it sound so horrible, but somehow, Rinoa doubted it. "Let me guess. Those who have shown signs of the illness are also irritable and bad-tempered, right?"

Laguna turned around, looking a little disbelieving. "Yeah…how did you know?"

"We have similar problems at Garden right now. The current count is about fifty kids too weak to move and not a way to treat it, and we have more and more showing signs everyday."

To their surprise, Laguna suddenly laughed, but not in his normal cheerful way. It was actually rather dark and bitter, a sound that coming from the President, it was a very chilling and unsettling sound indeed. "Is that it? Then you got off easy. Either that, or you just haven't gotten to the real fun yet."

The two SeeDs were unsure of what to say to that. What was there to say, other than to just listen?

"I fear that the symptoms that those infected throughout the city are showing more severe signs. They shy away from any sort of light, and I mean in a very violent manner; screaming, cursing, pushing themselves to the farthest corners of the dark, although they are strangely active at night. They rant about the things they fear and hate the most, as if they're afraid of their nightmares coming to life. The most popular of these rants goes back to the Lunar Cry and…" He paused for a moment, his vibrant green eyes flashing in Rinoa's direction for the space of a heartbeat. "and the return of the sorceress. They're completely scared out of their minds, and nothing I can do or say gives them any comfort. They just stopped listening to me, and they ignore all the local authorities as well."

"Does this mean that you need SeeD to patrol the city as well?"

Once again, Laguna surprised them by shaking his head. "Not yet. The people of Esthar get the impression that once SeeD's involved, then something really bad is happening, and they intend to panic. I don't want to risk that right now, not until we really know what's going on. I'll get Doc Odine on it as soon as I can. Until then, would it be too much of in inconvenience if you can keep some SeeDs on stand-by? Just in case….anything happens. Tensions are running high, and I'm worried more about riots right now."

"We would have to withdraw the SeeDs who are on monster patrol. If there is going to be a riot, it's going to be no small business."

"The safety of the people is more important than the monsters at the moment, especially if they're being pushed - chased - back. Do what you have to do, and I'll make sure to make it up to you later."

"Just send word if anything goes wrong." Squall said, moving for the first time since they arrived, and Rinoa read his body language as a sign that it was time to go. "We'll be ready. Hopefully by then the Ragnorok will be up and running, so we can have squads in the city in ten minutes." With that, he turned on his heel and began to walk from the President's office, Rinoa following closely behind.

"Hey, Squall."

The commander stopped at the sound of Laguna's voice, but only looked over his shoulder to see what it was that he wanted. The look that was now on his face was one that intrigued Rinoa, since she had only rarely seen it herself. Laguna was wearing a worried but unmistakable fatherly concern as he looked after them; a look that General Caraway gave her before they grew too apart for him to show it on the outside anymore. "This thing has me really freaked out. Just be careful, okay?"

At first Rinoa was sure that Squall was going to blow him off in the way that he usually did when Laguna tried to be, in a sense, fatherly to him, but today just proved to be one full of surprises. When Squall turned back around, he did not completely blow off the President as Rinoa had expected; instead he raised his hand and gave it a small wave in acknowledgment before heading out the President's office.

* * *

"One case of medical supplies? The most powerful and advanced city in the world, and they were only able to give us one case of medical supplies?"

"It couldn't be helped!" Selphie protested. "The reason why we took so long was because the doctors were giving us a long lists of excuses of why they couldn't give us any more!"

"This is looking pretty bad, Squall." Irvine said, his face rarely serious. All three of them were looking rather grave, actually, and these were some of the biggest jokers that Squall knew. "The doctors gave us these to show you…it's a list of the amount of orders for medical supplies that are being shipped out all over the world, all requesting medicine for the same symptoms."

Fearing the worse, Squall snatched the papers away from the cowboy and looked them over, Rinoa peering over his shoulder for a better look. "Let me guess…strange flu-like symptoms with no possible treatment."

"Bingo." Zell nodded, his arms crossed before him. "But take a look at the amount of towns and cities that called for extra medicine."

The commander was silent for a moment as he flipped through the pages, his features steadily growing more and more disbelieving all the time. "But this…every single major city and town in the world has called for it!"

"Exactly. It's not just Esthar and our Garden. Even the smaller places like Winhill and Fisherman's Horizon are in need of it, and both the other Gardens have too many sick people to deal with as well. I mean, it seemed bad with us, but still…" Irvine shivered, and reached up to pull his hat further down his eyes, an unconscious gesture that he usually did when he was nervous. "Squall, this is getting serious. The whole world is getting infected."

"What are we going to do?" Selphie asked.

"What can we do?" It was a phrase that was becoming too often repeated anymore, and Squall began to desperately wish that he had a better answer. "The President told us that we're only seeing the minimal signs right now; apparently they will get worse. All we can really do now is keep an eye on the students. I wish…I wish that there was more that could be done." Rinoa's face softened as she put a comforting hand on his shoulder. Out of anyone else in the group, she knew best of all that Squall hated when he could not do a damn thing to help the situation.

"Let's just get back to the Garden. Dr. Kadowaki's going to be wondering where we are." As if to emphasize his point, Squall seized one side of the crate and Zell was quick to take the other. Hauling the heavy wooden crate up, the small team of SeeDs made their way back to wear their car was parked.

"Why don't you chill for a while." Irvine's suggestion was more of a mild order as he snatched the keys out of Squall's hand. "I can drive back, you get some rest. It'll be the only you'll get for a long while, so might as well enjoy it while you can."

"He's right Squall." Rinoa said before he could protest, watching Selphie scramble into the front seat before Zell even had a chance to. "And don't worry about getting back to the Garden, Irvine's a good driver. It's better than having Zell drive, if that eases your mind at all."

"Yo! What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing, Zell!" Rinoa said with a laugh and climbing into the car herself, nestling in between the two men before Irvine pulled out of the parking garage. It was not, however, until they were out of the city limits that any of them spoke; the silence had been almost unbearable, and the bleakness of the vast plains of Esthar was so boring it would put anyone out of their minds.

"Hey…it's too quiet in here! We need some music to lighten the mood!" Selphie piped suddenly and randomly from the front seat, and leaned over to turn to radio on. There was a temporary burst of static, and then they heard the lyrics of a very familiar song that was a favorite among their generation.

"Right on time! This is the best part of the song! Crank it up, Selph!"

Grinning broadly, Selphie gave the volume knob one good, solid twist, and the music of the song blared inside of the car, and everyone in the car (save for Squall) began to sing loudly and rather off-key to the well-known lyrics.

I see a little silhouetto of a man,
Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango.
Thunderbolt and light'ning, very, very fright'ning me!


(Galileo.) Galileo. (Galileo.) Galileo, Galileo figaro
Magnifico~o~o~o….

I'm just a poor boy and nobody loves me.
He's just a poor boy from a poor family,
Spare him his life from this monstrosity!


Easy come, easy go, will you let me go.
Bismillah!

No! We will not let you go!
(Let him go!)

Bismillah! We will not let you go!
(Let him go!) Bismillah! We will not let you go!
(Let me go.) Will not let you go.
(Let me go.) Will not let you go.

(Let me go.) Ah.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
(Oh mama mia, mama mia.) Mama mia, let me go.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me~e~e!

"Hey come on Squall, lighten up!" Zell said cheerfully, shaking their commander on the shoulder, who had actually somewhat curled up on his seat, as if he were embarrassed and wanted to disappear from that spot.

"You're all freaks." Squall responded in monotone.

No one was offended, however; they all merely started laughing, and for that small instant all their worries and fears of the current situation. Selphie was doubled up on her seat, and Rinoa had thrown her arms around her finance's neck and was giggling uncontrollably against his shoulder while Irvine had to fight to keep his eyes on the road. It was like old times again right then and their, and Squall eventually let the embarrassment go and managed a small smile himself.

The whole thing did not last forever, however, when something huge and heavy slammed into the side of their car, sharp horns tearing through the medal like tissue paper and sending the vehicle rolling fifty feet off the road.

It seemed like an eternity before the car came to a stop, laying on its side, all the windows broken out and the body horribly disfigured. When Irvine came to, he was laying on the passenger-side door, his seatbelt gouging painfully in his side and a piece of medal digging into his head. He moved, testing his condition; although he was really sore, nothing seemed to be broken and he was not seeing double, so he had not been hit too hard. Someone moved beside him, and when he looked down he saw Selphie laying next to him, the side of her face completely covered in blood that was soaking into her hair. "Sefie?" Irvine struggled to get up, but the seatbelt was restricting his movements. Selphie grimaced and groaned, reaching up to touch her own face as Irvine ran a hand through her hair, looking for the source of the blood. All he could find was a long thin cut just below her hairline, still bleeding sluggishly but otherwise not too serious. "Are you okay?"

"I think so." Selphie stammered, pushing herself up against the door. "What about the others? Zell? Squinoa?"

"Fine, fine…" Came Squall's response from somewhere in the back seat. He could have been feeling better; his back was aching terribly from where he was laying against the side of the door. And the fact that Rinoa was crushing his ribs from above did not make it any more comfortable. "Zell? Are you okay?"

"Sonnava bitch!"

"I think he's okay." Rinoa said with a small laugh.

Somehow Zell had managed the get thrown back behind the backseats and was the first out of all of them to try to stand up. He was sporting a rather nasty black eye on one side of his face, but considering the fact that the impact had been on his side, it could have been a lot worse. "What the hell was that hit us?"

"I don't know; I didn't see a thing."

"You didn't land on Lion Heart, did you?"

"If I did, I don't think I'd be alive right now." Zell grumped. "I think we lost a lot of the weapons out the windows when we rolled. I'll take a look." With one powerful kick, Zell was able to open up the back door and tumbled his way out. He was gone for perhaps five seconds before they heard him again, this time in a much more panicked tone. "Get out of the car! Now!"

It was easier said than done, and it took some careful foot work, but Rinoa and Irvine had managed to pull themselves out of the upturned doors first, carefully avoiding the broken glass and twisted medal, and help the others out of the broken frame. The vehicle that they had been riding in hardly looked like a car anymore; one side was completely buckled in, and smoke and oil seemed out from under the crushed hood. They did not have a long time to observe the damage before Zell was yelling at them again.

"MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!"

They scattered away from the wreckage just in time as a full-grown Behemoth slammed its horned head into what had once been their car, carrying it a short distance away and tearing it apart with one shake of its massive head before turning on those who had escaped from it.

"How the hell did we miss that?!" Irvine shouted over the thundering of the charging monster.

"Who cares, let's just fry it!" Selphie said, and Summoned. "Leviathan! Get it!" A deep, whistling bellow filled the sky as the water-serpent reared behind the girl's petite frame and charged at the monster, brining with it the power of a massive tsunami that crushed the monster with little avail. Selphie eeped when she saw the monster merely shake the water off its deep coat, bellow and charge straight at her. "Not good!" She exclaimed loudly and was just barely able to dive out of the way as the Behemoth charged by, missing her by inches.

"The GF…had no effect on it…" Squall muttered to himself, disbelieving. The GFs had been so strong…and although a Behemoths were tough, even Leviathan's attack would have been more than enough to at least slow it down more than it had. This was the worse case scenario…in the middle of the Esthar planes, with no quick way back and no means to protect themselves…

"Squall! Catch!"

Squall turned his head just in time to see Irvine toss something in his direction, and he recognized the glowing blue blade immediately as Lion Heart. With a surge of confidence, Squall caught the gunblade skillfully by its revolver-hilt and charged towards the circling monster. The Behemoth turned on him, letting out a bellow that seemed to shake the very earth, and returned Squall's charge. With one graceful, powerful arch, the blade made a single clean cut through the tough hide of the monster, severing bone and muscle as easily as sliding through water.

With a guttural roar, the monster shuddered, stumbled…turn to stone, and crumbled.

The SeeDs were, more of less, shocked as the once rampaging Behemoth fell apart, turning to dust and stone at their feet, but not like a solid statue that was coming undone. It was… Squall searched for the right words to describe it. It was as if someone had made a stone shell of the monster's body, an exact replica on the outside, but in the inside it was…

"Hollow." Rinoa said suddenly, finishing off what he was thinking. They all looked at each other through their blood and bruises, all with the same unbelieving looks in their wild eyes. "As empty as the drawpoints."

Not a word was spoken as the fine stone dust was carried away on the dry Esthar wind.

-----

To Be Continued…

-----