Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Semi-Charmed Life ❯ Augmenting Ideas ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 3
 
The thought of having the white haired man around all the time was really getting to Garnet now. She wasn't sure what his intentions were, but she did not get a good vibe from him. She had been meaning to talk to her mother about him, and thought now would be a more opportune time than any. She patiently waited in the one of the chairs across from Zorn and Thorn's desks.
 
“Her majesty will see you now,” Zorn randomly stated, without looking up from his paper. Garnet raised her eyebrow.
 
There was nothing signifying that Brahne had notified them. In fact, she didn't even understand why she wasn't allowed to go in in the first place. When she first was about to entered her mother's office, the jester twins gave her a halt and made her sit and wait. She had never encountered that before, but assumed they were starting to let the authority go to their heads.
 
Garnet got up from her chair and walked into her mother's office.
 
“Mother, you really need to talk to Zorn and Thorn about their authoritive issues,” Garnet stated as she looked behind, noticing the two twins peering into the door as she closed it.
 
“Garnet, I am a very busy woman! I cannot be interrupted by the most menial things,” Brahne started, but stifled herself when she realized it was her daughter she was talking to. She let out a sigh, “What is it?”
 
With that, the door behind Garnet opened and she turned to see the tall, white haired man in whom she was meaning to talk about.
 
“Well if it isn't Sir Kuja,” Brahne greeted, “perfect timing.” Garnet observed the man as he greeted the Dean with a bow. “This is my daughter, Garnet; she will be teaching First Year Summoning this semester... Garnet, I want you to go to Kuja for any help. He is the best of the best!”
 
Kuja turned to Garnet and grabbed a hold of her delicate hand, kissing it ever so softly.
 
“It is a pleasure to meet you, my dear,” he said in his husky, deep voice. His seductive red eyes stared into Garnet's scared, brown eyes; she soon pulled her hand away and pushed free from his gaze.
 
“Now Garnet, if you'll excuse us,” Brahne started, “we have much business to discuss...”
 
“Yes, mother,” Garnet obediently bowed and then turned to leave the room.
 
She was a little irritated, but at the same time, couldn't remember why she needed to speak with her mother in the first place. Once her daughter left the room, Brahne's eyes instantly turned to Kuja.
 
"...Well?" She asked, eagerly awaiting what the man had to say. Kuja closed his eyes for a second to gather his thoughts, as he started pacing back and forth.
“There is one boy I'm most curious about,” the man started. “However, he is just entering his first year... No training whatsoever. He'll be completely useless for the time being.”
 
“Well, let's just bump him up a year!” Brahne frantically suggested. “I can't keep waiting, Kuja.”
 
Kuja let out a laugh.
 
“Highness, you must realize patience is a virtue,” he stated. “Now if you don't mind me asking, I am eager to find the whereabouts of my brother?”
 
“Hm, your brother?” Brahne thought aloud. “Ah yes, Sephiroth - he's in the Black Magic wing.”
 
Kuja cracked a small smile.
 
xxx
 
Garnet sighed as she stood outside her mother's office. Zorn and Thorn, who were now back at their desks, looked at each other, tilted their heads, and then looked up at the distraught young woman.
 
“What seems to be the matter?” The red clad one asked.
 
“Nothing,” Garnet instantly replied; she never did trust the two jesters. She knew they would report to her mother whatever she said in a heartbeat. “It's nothing.”
 
“Just the jitterbugs, right?” A cheerful feminine voice asked. Garnet looked ahead of her and was relieved to see a warm, familiar face.
 
Standing in front of her was a young woman named Yuna. She had shoulder length brown hair and one green eye, while the other was blue. Garnet was in her White Magic class the year before, and the two formed a close bond; she assumed it was because Yuna saw great potential in the Dean's daughter.
 
“Hi, Yuna,” Garnet smiled, a sudden feeling of relief flooding her body. “Yeah, first day teaching... The pressure is definitely on.”
 
“Wait until classes start and you have to deal with the students,” Yuna teased.
 
Suddenly, the door behind Garnet flung open, revealing Kuja. He walked past the two ladies without acknowledging either of their presence. Once he left the room, Yuna scowled. “I wonder where he's off too...”
 
xxx
 
Leo and Rand sat outside on a cement wall which overlooked a vast field. There was a hill dividing it halfway through. Various students walked around and sat an visited as they all waited for the first class to start.
 
“I wonder who that could've been,” Rand thought aloud. Leo told him about his uncomfortable encounter with the white haired man.
 
ATE: Brotherly Love
 
Sephiroth had long, silver hair which made his bright, turquoise eyes stand out. He sat at his desk, which was placed at the bottom of a huge seminar room, where seats spiralled up at least ten platforms, twenty in each row. Dividing the seats was a small path that lead up the staircase, where Sephiroth usually paced while he gave his lectures.
 
He sat at his desk, his eyes scanning the new batch of students for this upcoming year, hoping one of them would prove to be more prominent than the idiots which were put into his class the year before. He heard the door open to the left of where he was sitting, and decided not to move his eyes or acknowledge whoever it was coming into his room. It was still an hour before classes started, and he did not want to put up with brown nosers just yet.
 
“Brother,” came the haunting voice which cut the silence in the room. Sephiroth's eyes immediately widened as he turned his head to see his younger, and more cynical, brother, Kuja, leaning against the doorway with his hands folded against his chest.
 
“I fail to see how you could still call me that,” Sephiroth replied as he turned his eyes back to his work, “being as you don't even have the decency to tell me why you're here or what your plan is.”
 
“Ah but you see,” Kuja started as he walked into the classroom, his boots echoing as he slowly stepped on the tiled floor, “you are not to be trusted. How do I know that if I told you, you would not plot something against it to overthrow me?”
 
The Black Magic professor shrugged his eyebrows, signalling he understood what his younger brother was getting at. If the tables were turned, Sephiroth doubted he would let Kuja in on even the minor details.
 
“I suppose you're right,” Sephiroth concluded.
 
“Don't you worry,” Kuja assured as he stood behind his older brother's chair, his hand resting on his shoulder, “once I overthrow the elephant lady, I will need someone with just as much smarts as me. So just think of the possibilities-”
 
“It's hard to think of them, being as I don't know what the plan is,” Sephiroth interrupted. Kuja cracked a smile. Sephiroth would have to try harder than that.
 
(End of ATE)
 
Leo decided it would be best not to think about who that man could've been. Worrying never got him anywhere. He sat back and scanned the field, soon he could see a red haired girl running towards him.
 
“Leo!” The girl yelled out. It was Erin, whom he had met earlier. She stopped as she arrived at the bottom of the cement wall noticing that the top of her head met up with Leo's knees which were hanging off.
 
“Hey Erin,” Leo smiled, looking down to his new friend. “Have you gotten your courses figured out yet?”
 
“Yeah,” Erin replied, “it's going to be intense! Eight classes a day. How about you?”
 
“I've got, Black Magic, Time Magic, Ninja Basics, and Summoning,” Leo listed. “Hey, this is my friend Rand,” Rand smiled and nodded his head. “...He's kind of socially awkward around new people.”
 
“Oh, shut up,” Rand sighed as he rolled his eyes. He then turned his head, where his eyes soon caught something. “Uh oh, look at this...”
 
Leo turned his head to see Yu about ten feet away, looking down at an object with a certain look of determination in her eyes. He noticed she had one foot on a skateboard, and a group of students forming a semi-circle around her.
 
“This won't be good,” Leo noted. “Yu, what're you doing?!”
 
“Don't worry,” Yu assured, “if you can do it, anyone can!”
 
Rand smacked himself in the forehead as Yu put her other foot on the board. It started rolling down the narrow cement path, towards her two friends.
 
“I-I'm doing it!” Suddenly, the speed picked up and the board started rolling down the path faster and faster.
 
“Yu, stop!” Rand called out, “You're doing it wrong, you're gonna...”
 
“What?” Yu called out as she turned to them. With that, she lost balance and crashed face first on the ground. The two boys hopped off the cement wall and over to their friend as Erin followed close behind.
 
“Are you okay?” Leo asked, kneeling down to help her up.
 
“....I'm alright,” Yu stated at the same time Leo asked. “Oye,” she raised her hand to her head. “...Second wipe out today... My head hurts,” she complained. “This is not a good way to start off my first day back here. I need to be able to focus!”
 
“Hey, we can take her to my friend, she's good with White Magic,” Erin suggested. Leo thought that might be a good idea. He and Rand tucked themselves under each of Yu's arms to help her keep balance, although she was mostly dragging her feet as they slowly started to follow Erin across the field.