Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Time for Reflection ❯ Yuna's Happiness ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: This chapter is from Yuna's POV.

Chapter VII: Yuna's Happiness.

I was so sad, at the beginning of the night.

Yesterday, when Roka treated me so badly and talked about Tidus so wretchedly, I was… devastated. Until then, my suitors at least treated me a certain amount of respect. My rage consumed me that afternoon, and I totally lost it.

In all honestly, it felt… good to scream at him like that. Calm, sweet, little Yuna had never done anything like that before. I was proud of myself.

What Roka said, however, was like a sword slashing me ruthlessly in the heart. His words cut me deep.

At first, I didn't and I couldn't believe that Tidus left me because he thought of me as a pest, someone to get rid of. But when a person, especially someone like me, is in such a state of mourning and sadness, they start to believe what people tell them, however ludicrous it might sound. Sorrow is gullible, I think.

So I found myself on the pier once again. I sat there, with my feet dangling in the cool water for quite some time. I tried whistling a little, out of habit, as the sun set over the blue water. The water reminded me of his eyes at this time of day. It was beautiful, like he was.

The more I thought of him, the more my heart ached for him. I was scared that I would continue to be like this for the rest of my life. So I cried…. I cried until it felt like no more tears could be shed. I cried for… hours.

It had become dark. The sun had set about thirty minutes prior, and I continued to weep, tears staining my bright white shirt. The ocean had become black, as black as my world always felt.

The moon and the stars, though, were absolutely gorgeous. Now, instead of the ocean reminding me of Tidus' beautiful eyes, the stars did, the way they twinkled brightly. His eyes always twinkled with warmth, love, and more than a little bit of mischief. What was I saying though? Everything reminded me him and his eyes.

As night overtook day, my whistling faded.

"What's the point?"

It was just a stupid, pointless habit. I knew, by now, that he wasn't going to come to me when I whistled, but it continued to bring me a slight bit of comfort.

I continued to whimper for him softly, lowering my face dejectedly to the ground. Instead of tears falling on my shirt, they now fell onto the hard cedar that made up the pier. As always, I felt completely lost.

It's… really hard to explain what happened next. I heard someone walking on the pier quietly; I had assumed it was Wakka coming to talk to me. I figured that was fine, because I felt like I wanted to discuss my feelings with someone for once.

When this person touched me, I knew it wasn't Wakka. Rikku, Lulu, and Kimahri had all left to help Cid, right? This touch was… it was gentle, serene, and it felt wonderful. Whoever it was, I knew it was someone special… I couldn't have been so right.

Even though I had no idea who this person was, I leaned into his hand somewhat; it felt so… comforting. I turned around to see the person that was touching me so gently. I prayed it wasn't one of my dreadful suitors, but I slapped myself mentally for that thought when I saw who it was.

I wasn't shocked when I saw him… I thought I was going mad. Blinking, closing my eyes, and opening them again didn't make him go away. Shock ensued shortly thereafter.

After mentioning something about them sending him back, I started to gain a slight grasp on reality. I begged him, pleaded for him to be real. I would have hurled myself off into the pier if he had been just some sort of grief stricken delusion.

He didn't say anything, just hugged me tightly. Such comfort, such peace, I had not felt since the night in Macalania, when I embraced him the first time. I was confused, though. How and why did he come back? When did he come back? I wanted to know!

He wouldn't tell me. He just said that he would explain everything to me later. I think, in his mind, he knew that I wasn't a very coherent person at the time. I realized that I didn't really care how he got back at the moment.

I simply continued to embrace him fervently, for what seemed like forever. No words were exchanged, just comfort. It was all both of us needed. I prayed that he wouldn't go away. If he did, I would not have survived.

He didn't leave me though. He looked at me, lovingly, with concern written all over his face. I realized at that moment that I probably looked horrible. Crying, almost nonstop, for six months takes its toll on a human being. He begged me to stop crying, and I promised him I wouldn't.

He stared into my eyes, ever so longingly, and I averted my gaze just slightly, embarrassed. I've never liked my eyes that much. I look so… weird with different colored irises. I think he thinks they're beautiful, or maybe cute, because he continued to stare at them. I decided it wasn't time for shyness… we were far beyond that now. I shifted my gaze once again to meet his beautiful face.

Tonight, he finally told me. No more wondering. He loved me. It was as plain, and as pure, and as simple as that. It made me so happy… the assurance was comforting.

I had always been frustrated with him when he called it his story. I wanted it to be everyone's story, me and Tidus' story, and he apologized for it. For everything that I have ever been irritated with him about in the past, he said he was sorry. He did it so sweetly, so honestly, and so lovingly that my heart melted for him.

I swore to myself that I would never, ever, let him go again. I would stay with him the rest of my life, and I knew he felt the same way.

We kissed each other after that, so sweetly. I held onto him tighter, our lips touching each other so gently and lovingly. Everything that I wanted was symbolized in that kiss. United perfectly in one kiss was love, commitment, sweetness, trust… and respect. There was little or no passion in the kiss. I think we both felt this wasn't the time. There will be so many chances for passion, but at that moment, it was all about the comfort.

Suddenly, I felt happy, happier than I had ever felt in my entire life. For all my life, I knew nothing but death. When Tidus left me, it only increased my pain and familiarity with death. Now, he was here. He was alive and breathing, and I was kissing him. I broke off the kiss momentarily, and I stared at Tidus and his beautiful face. I smiled inwardly, ecstatic that my love had returned to me.

Happily, I proceeded to shower him with tiny little kisses. I excitedly pecked him on the lips, cheeks, nose and forehead over and over again. Tidus gleefully and mischievously exclaimed "Now that's what I call kisses!" and did the same to me. It felt… nice.

We broke our childish but wonderful display of affection and stared at each other once again. I told him how happy I was and thanked him earnestly for coming back to be with me. He said that he was my guardian, and that he made a promise to be with me always. He said he'll keep the promise, and I intend to make sure I stay by his side forever.

We stayed at the pier all night. It was a beautiful evening, and we kept one another warm in each others embrace. We kissed, and hugged, and held each other's hands, and kissed some more. It was so sweet, and Tidus was such a gentleman to me. I knew he would be, and I love him so much for that. We fell asleep on the pier, a very uncomfortable place to sleep indeed, but we made it comfortable for each other. Holding each other tightly, comfort abounded.

I woke up early this morning, relieved to discover that he was still there, still in my arms. He was sleeping soundly, his lips curved upright just a little bit. He was so cute, and I continued to gaze at my love while holding him tightly.

Now, I'm lying here with him contentedly, waiting for him to awake from his slumber. I sit here, looking at his face, and brushing his hair with my hands gently. Today marks the first day of the rest of my life with him. This is my happiness, me and Tidus' happiness. I can't wait to see what the rest of our lives have in store for us, together. Thank you, whoever you are, for sending my eternal love back to me.