Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Time for Reflection ❯ Celebration ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter X: Celebration

"You know," Yuna said softly, looking at Tidus. "You're going to dance with me tonight. If there are any slow songs, you're mine."

Tidus cowered in fear for a moment, obviously terrified at the thought of slow dancing. "What's the matter?" Yuna asked curiously.

"Uhh, nothing," Tidus replied nervously. "Nothing at all!"

Walking hand in hand, Tidus and Yuna made their way to the middle of town. Wakka and Rikku's fire was blazing vibrantly and crackling happily on the cool tropical evening. It was a beautiful night for a party.

Upon seeing Tidus in his tropical shirt, Wakka grinned broadly. "Hey brudda, lookin' good!" he claimed excitedly. When every one else saw him, however, they laughed. They laughed… hard. Rikku reached the conclusion that seeing Tidus in a tropical shirt was a once in a lifetime opportunity, so she whipped out a sphere and starting recording madly.

"Hey c'mon!" Tidus said grudgingly. "This is embarrassing enough for me, but now you gotta record it?"

Lulu looked at Tidus for a moment and scoffed. "Well, consider it payback for you and Yuna's display earlier today. I'm going to be watching you," Lulu said sternly, with a piercing stare that bored into Tidus' eyes.

Tidus laughed nervously and quickly walked away from Lulu, while Rikku followed him unscrupulously with the sphere. Approaching the bright fire, he saw Kimahri in a secluded dark corner, away from all the people. He gave himself a mental note to try to get Kimahri to dance later that night. Now that would be a sight to see.

Tidus decided he would talk to Wakka, who was stoking the already huge blaze. "Hey Wakka." Wakka looked at him and smiled, and Tidus continued. "You know, that fire is already pretty big. Why do you keep messing with it?" Wakka looked at him and shrugged.

"I dunno. I've always liked fire. Somethin' about it's just… mysterious. Like an unknown, ya?"

Tidus contemplated his words for a moment and nodded. "Yeah, I guess you have a point. It's… a powerful element."

The flames reminded him of his love for Yuna and his desire for her. It burned brightly, uncontrollable. She had completely engulfed his heart and soul in an awe inspiring conflagration, and he was determined that he was never going to let go of this… feeling that he had.

Wakka looked at Tidus for a moment. "Hey, I'm gonna go make the announcement that the party's ready to begin. And I've seen how much you can eat, so save some for the rest of us!"

Tidus grinned, and Wakka walked in front of the large crowd of people, ready to begin the festivities. Looking around for a moment, Wakka changed his mind and quickly walked back to Tidus. After a while, he finally decided to ask what was on his mind.

"Hey, uhh, you mind if I tell everyone about… well, you know. The ring and everything?" he asked thoughtfully.

Tidus looked at Wakka curiously for a while. "I don't have a problem with it, but you should ask Yuna," he finally replied, pointing at where she was located. Wakka nodded and walked up to her… she was surrounded by a crowd of young women, and they were all gawking at her ring.

Tidus thought it was interesting how inquisitive the inhabitants of Besaid could be. In Zanarkand, everyone minded their own business, for the most part. It was such a large city, and people usually didn't meddle in each other's affairs… unless someone was a celebrity, that is. Unfortunately for Tidus, he had managed to become an icon in both Zanarkand and Spira.

So it really came as no surprise to Tidus that the young ladies of Besaid immediately spotted the ring on Yuna's finger. After all, she was a celebrity as well. As it was, Tidus knew that it would be hard to live his life in total privacy, so he simply decided to accept it.

Wakka finally got Yuna's attention and whispered in her ear. Tidus saw Yuna nod vigorously, which greatly relieved him. He didn't want any rumors to start about their relationship, and the best way to avoid it was to get the truth out right away.

With that, Wakka headed back to the head of the crowd and started speaking.

"Everyone, this is a… momentous occasion! One of Spira's true heroes, Sir Tidus, has returned to us! Tonight, we party!" Wakka looked at the crowd proudly, pleased that he managed to get the sleepy group roused.

"Err, that's not all," Wakka continued. "Tidus came back for someone very special. He came back for a reason, ya?" Looking around, Wakka decided to cut to the chase. "Lady Yuna and Sir Tidus are happy to announce their engagement!"

Tidus found the ensuing response from the Besaidians humorous. The women of Besaid squealed in delight, very happy for Lady Yuna. The men, however, hung their heads, sad that she was officially taken. He concluded that he was a lucky, lucky, guy.

"Well," Wakka spoke on. "I'm not very good at this speech stuff, so I'm gonna stop now. Let's eat, drink, and dance people, ya?" The crowd roared with approval, and the festivities began. Various amateur musicians from Besaid struck up some tropical music, and the party started off at full speed.

The night was loads of fun. Everyone got a good laugh at Tidus' attempt to dance to this particular brand of music. He was a mosh pit kind of guy… in Zanarkand, he loved rock music profusely. His kind of dancing simply didn't mix well with conga music. Eventually, Yuna got a hold of him and taught him a little bit about it before he completely embarrassed himself.

Later that night, Tidus finally achieved his goal for the evening, that is, getting Kimahri on the dance floor. Seeing Kimahri in a raging Conga line right behind Yuna was a special highlight of his evening. Of course, Rikku got it on a sphere. That was one he definitely had to see.

Tidus' fears were confirmed later that night when the band started playing a slow, harmonious string ballad; the music was beautiful, but he saw Yuna walking resolutely in Tidus' direction. Looking around frantically, he determined that there was absolutely no way to get out of it. It was time to dance with his lady.

Walking deliberately up to him, Yuna grabbed Tidus' hand and led him to the makeshift dance floor. Quite a few people were already on the floor, dancing with their significant other or good friend. Tidus found it interesting that Wakka and Lulu had made there way to the floor and were partaking in a friendly dance with each other.

"Don't worry," Yuna said sweetly. "Just hold on to my waist, and follow the beat. It isn't hard." Tidus grudgingly accepted defeat and wrapped his strong hands around Yuna's slender waist.

Any person that saw them dance that evening would agree. It was completely and totally exhilarating to watch. Tidus was nervous at first, but he soon became comfortable dancing slowly, with Yuna in his arms. He handled it like a pro, always being the fast learner.

Sighing deeply, Yuna tiredly placed her head on his chest in the middle of the song. Tightening his hold on her, Tidus gently stroked her hair as the notes of the ballad flowed smoothly and beautifully from the guitar, bass, and mandolin. Their love, infatuation and desire for each other increased with each passing moment.

Near the end of the song, everyone had stopped dancing, eating, or drinking to look at both of them move harmoniously on the dance floor. Emanating from their tight embrace was passionate, beautiful, and wondrous love. Only Yuna heard his sweet whispers that evening, but everyone recognized the peace and comfort that it brought both of them to be in each others arms.

After the band played the last note, Tidus and Yuna stood there, holding each other tightly for a while. It was all either of them would ever need, and it was a beautiful sight to see. Releasing their grasp on each other, they looked around and noticed that everyone was staring at them attentively. Blushing slightly, they smiled and walked to the bonfire to spend time with their friends.

It was a time of love, laughter, smiles… and a time for reflection. The group sat by the fire, as it died down softly, and quietly talked about their lives over the past six months. Every now and then, they would crack jokes and riotous laughter would ensue.

The party ended a while later. It was a wonderful evening, and the entire town retired to their homes merrily, leaving Tidus, Yuna, and everyone else alone by the fire.

Rikku had just a little bit too much to drink, and she tiredly fell asleep on Wakka's shoulder. Tidus couldn't help thinking they would make a cute couple, but he quickly dismissed it from his mind.

"That would just be too weird."

Yuna had fallen asleep on Tidus' shoulder as well, not from drunkenness, but from total exhaustion.

Lulu looked at her from a moment. "I'm sure she's been exerting herself quite a bit these past two days, right Tidus?"

"Well, I don't know. I think she wasn't sleeping like she should have been while I was gone," Tidus replied quietly, not wanting to wake her up. Everyone nodded in response, and Tidus smiled at the beautiful woman snuggling up to him.

All of them talked a while longer. Tidus and Wakka got into a lively conversation and started cracking jokes animatedly, becoming increasingly rowdy with each passing moment. At one point, they almost woke Rikku and Yuna up.

"Yeah, and heheh, when I was at Auron's house one day, he got these flamingos, and they were, haha, they were pink, and he put them in his back yard! He… he said he likes flamingos!" Tidus said in between boisterous laughter.

Wakka looked at him and laughed loudly in response. "No way brudda! Auron, with phony flamingos in his yard? You gotta be kidding me!"

Kimahri, who had remained quiet for most of the evening, interjected. "Auron like flamingos. He tell Kimahri on pilgrimage. Auron tell Kimahri that flamingo graceful."

Wakka and Tidus looked at Kimahri, looked at each other, and burst into raucous laughter. Yuna stirred gently in Tidus' arms, and he apologized sweetly in her ear, urging her to go back to sleep. Shortly thereafter, Tidus and Wakka decided not to make so much noise and toned down their conversation a little.

It had become late, and the once grand fire was reduced to mere glowing embers. It really was a wonderful evening. Everyone received the chance to get to know Tidus all over again. They knew they had been given something precious, and it was a chance for all of them to bond. But now they were tired.

"Well guys, it was a fun party, ya?" Everyone that was awake nodded, and Tidus slowly picked Yuna up gently in his arms.

"Yeah, it really was Wakka. Thanks for throwing it," Tidus said quietly, not wanting to wake Yuna up. "I'm going to put her to bed, okay? She's really tired." Everyone nodded at Tidus and started walking briskly to their homes to go to sleep. Wakka picked up Rikku, who was still asleep on his shoulder, and carried the inebriated girl to her hut. She would definitely be feeling it in the morning.

Tidus, carrying Yuna in his arms lovingly, walked carefully to her abode. Upon reaching her home, he quietly opened the front door and shut it behind him. He humorously noted that he carried her over the threshold… he was anxiously waiting for the evening in which it would have some actual significance.

He walked into her room and laid her gently on the plush bed. Although eager to cuddle up beside her, he reluctantly decided to take his leave and go sleep on the couch. After kissing her gently on the forehead and whispering a quiet "I love you" into her ear, he made his way to the bedroom door.

"Tidus."

He turned around slowly, not quite sure of what she was going to ask him. "Please," Yuna continued. "Don't leave. I… I would be happy if you will stay with me."

He smiled warmly at her and slowly made his way up to her bed. He sat down beside her and brushed some stray hair gently from her face.

"Yuna… I would love to stay with you tonight," he said sweetly, and Yuna hugged him tightly.

"Earlier, when… when you saw me," Yuna stammered, the darkness obscuring her beet red face. "I… I imagined seeing you. I mean, I… I imagined what it would be like to…"

Tidus put a gentle finger to her lips, sweetly urging her not to continue. His cheeks were flushed, and his entire body was burning with desire for the beautiful girl that he loved immensely. No, he would not take advantage of this woman.

"Why does she have to be so desirable?"

"I'm so sorry!" Yuna exclaimed, rousing the hours of darkness with her sweet voice. "I… I haven't been myself lately. I just wanted to… to let you know that I want to be with you, just as bad."

She quickly looked away from Tidus, embarrassed of what he might say. Hearing no response from him, she bravely decided to continue. "I… I don't know what has come over me. I'm sorry."

Tidus looked at her nervously for a moment. "Yuna, it's ok… I wouldn't be telling the truth if I told you that I, well, didn't like what I saw earlier," Tidus replied weakly.

Yuna smiled at him, and lowered him to bed with her. Holding him tightly, she kissed his neck gently and lovingly, happy that they understood their feelings for each other. "This is gonna take some getting used to, huh?" Tidus asked Yuna questioningly. "I mean, it's not often that there's such honesty in a relationship, right? I like it."

Yuna turned Tidus around to face her. "I like it too," she replied sweetly, kissing him lightly on the lips.

No more words were exchanged that night. They held each other and kissed, their love encompassing them strongly. Their eagerness for each other was replaced with a magnificent sense of comfort, and their tender displays of affection were replaced with exhaustion. Tidus remained a gentleman, in the truest form of the word.

Sleep claimed them a while later, but they continued to embrace each other throughout the evening. That night, they both subconsciously concluded that their relationship was so much more than physical… it was a tight emotional bond. Contentedly sleeping in each others arms, they knew that their love was as strong as steel, waiting to be tempered by the blissful bond of marriage.