Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Ashes ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]
First off, I want to thank those who have taken the time to read and comment and those who just read and are too lazy to leave a comment.
* * *
Chapter 3
Fear
Ashes followed Daemon out to his car as he popped the trunk revealing their weapons: a broad sword and a sleek katana. As Daemon began to place his black leather gloves on, Ashes automatically grabbed her katana and clapped it to her waist.
“We have about ten minutes before combat classes start, we can also grab a bite to eat.” he said.
“No...that’s ok I already ate.” she replied as she watched the clouds overhead.
Daemon narrowed his eyes and watched his sister gaze over the horizon. She was so beautiful...why anyone else could not see it he had no idea. Why was he so drawn to her? Maybe it was because he had known her practically his entire life?
He slammed the trunk obviously startling her,
“Bullshit Ashes, you hardly ate at all. You know what father says, a fighter must have a full nutritious meal to concentrate and focus.” he stated.
Ashes blinked and smiled a bit,
“You’re right.” she agreed. She could never disagree when it came down to her dad.
“By the way, I meant what I said.” Daemon muttered and began to walk over to the cafeteria, Ashes following behind with a small smile. It was a good day after all...
After they had some food, they began their trek over to the white building adjacent to the campus itself. The grass was neatly trimmed, the trees were equally pruned and the weather was beginning to turn chilly. But cold weather didn’t seem to bother the young silver-headed woman as she followed behind her brother.
This was the last class of the day and would last for almost ninety minutes...then it would be home sweet home.
“Ashes?”
“Hmm?”
“I want to warn you about our instructors...”
“We have more then one?” she inquired curiously.
“Yes. Now our instructors are none other then highly trained professionals. They were once called ‘Turks’ and back in those days...”
“They were assassins; I know Dad told me about them once.” she concluded.
“Yes, but what I want to warn you about is that they expect excellent skills. Of course this is a military college, but just do as they say.” Daemon explained not knowing how else to put it. He glanced over at Ashes and noticed her nod while her graceful hand lay upon the hilt of her katana.
The Turks. How can one summarize the group?
Well after the Meteor era twenty years ago, they had been hired once more by the president and then sent to help build this school. It was from this school that the government would build an army and an excellent one at that too. Students applied whether to polish their skills or to become battle tacticians in hopes that the Mikotex government would higher them.
Ashes wine colored eyes scrutinized the building as students poured in and out of it.
“Hey you two! We were waiting here for you guys for the past five minutes!” Kyoko shouted out to the approaching group.
From what Ashes noticed, that Kyoko was the most outspoken in the group, Daniel the most practical, Zephyrus the silent observer yet caring, and her brother the most gorgeous of them all.
“We stopped to eat something.” Daemon explained.
“Oh all right then. Ready to go in?” Zephyrus asked holding his silver shotgun over his shoulder.
“Yeah.”
“Come on Ashes, we’ll show you around.” Kyoko said with a smile as he wrapped an arm around her shoulder and lead her over to the double doors. Daemon frowned at the gesture but shook his head.
The building was enormous and what met Ashes ears were the roars and sounds of monsters beyond the thirty foot fence along with conversations from several masses of people. The front of the building swarmed with students, all equipped with battle gear and weaponry.
A man with crimson hair emerged from a set of double doors from her right and he whistled sharply getting almost everyone’s immediate attention. His deep voice reached the others in the back,
“Listen up! To those of you who know the rules, you are ordered to go to Gate C to meet with Instructor Elena. Newbies! Follow me.” he shouted followed by a roar of a monster from the other side of the wall.
Daemon turned to Ashes,
“This is where we part and we’ll meet you after training in the parking lot.” he said.
“Have fun peaches.” Kyoko laughed and Ashes glared.
She watched them leave and she was once again alone among the throng of people who would want nothing to do with her. At least she would have her privacy...
Yawning, she followed her group to another set of doors and up some white stairs into a hallway with doors aligned symmetrically. There were ten instructors already waiting there and she waited as Instructor Reno and the rest divided the freshmen up. It was only her luck that she was stuck in Reno’s group of students...
“All right, this year we will run you twats through rigorous training of the mind with minor outdoor activities.” Reno began to explain and smiled when many students groaned and protested,
“Ahh, music to my ears. Now SHUT UP! I will not tolerate any whining or laziness in my class. Back in my day, one didn’t have a chance like you will to learn the patience and the acute sense of mind when it came to fighting. I hope I made myself clear: first person to rebel or show no progress will be thrown into a battle with the Pertile.
“What is a pertile, you ask? It is a poisonous reptile we created for slackers. The effects? A week long punishment of a lovely variety of colors, so I expect everyone to cooperate.” Reno stated.
Ashes raised an eyebrow and followed the silent class into a classroom down the hall. She managed to grab a seat near the windows in the far back and waited for the rest of the class to settle down while Reno passed out three inch text books.
Reno called out names as each student came to pick up a book and a rules and regulations sheet. He cocked an eyebrow at Ashes,
“What are you? A wannabe Sephiroth?” he joked.
“And what are you, a red headed clown?” She snapped back. Reno narrowed his eyes,
“Careful where you tread.” he warned.
“Where I tread is my own business and if you didn‘t start with an insult I would have kept my mouth shut.” she said.
Reno’s blue eyes narrowed to a cat slit,
“Get back to your seat.” he ordered and watched until the girl returned to her seat.
“All right class, as many of you may already know, I was known as a Turk when I was your age and yes I did kill people on orders of the boss. Just because I have become an instructor and under new management does not mean that I can’t kick your ass if you get out of line. Whether you be a man or a woman.” he said glaring at Ashes in the far back as a warning.
Ashes ignored the instructor who continued to go over the rules of the classroom, as she began to doze off until the sound of screeching chairs on the tile floor brought her back to her senses. The students were filing out of the classroom in a single file and she soon followed wondering what was going on.
Maybe if you paid attention Ashes, you would know that.’ her conscience scolded. Ignoring it with an inward groan, she noticed that her class came to a stop a few minutes later into a large area.
“I have brought you all here to evaluate you on your level of battle skills. Until then I will know where to begin in your training.
“If by any rare chance I find that you are too far advanced for the beginners class, I will move you into the next junior class.
“Now your opposition today will be real and I don’t know how much emphasis I can place on the word: ‘real.’ If by any chance you seem to tire or admit defeat, our SRS, also known as the Security Rescue System, will freeze the opponent in it’s place. There are 8 levels and trust me not many, well none at all have made it to level 7 & 8 on the first day of class.”
Ashes listened carefully as she surveyed the large squared area ahead of the class. It seemed to be a fifty by fifty foot arena with walls to an average mans chest and thick glass all the way to the ceiling.
She noticed a young man walk into the room and stand beside Reno; he had black silk hair, clean cut with a small braid at the base of his neck. His hazel brown-gray eyes seemed neutral yet she could sense a feeling of antipathy directed at her and the rest of her class.
“This is Yuriel and he is a senior here at the academy. If by any chance should you make it to level 8, he will be your opposition.” Reno further explained,
“Now I will start off backwards from the alphabet: Ibex Yujino, you’re up kid.” Reno concluded as he checked the name off his list.
All of the students lined up against the glass window, Ashes following behind until she found a spot near the corner. The guy named Ibex emerged into the platform arena and reverted to his battle stance.
His blonde hair was cut short, his dark blue eyes free from any inconveniences, his shoulders relaxed as he held his blade, shifting more weight automatically onto his right hand. He would definitely strike from there at whatever foe he would face.
The light opposite the room flashed red three times and in the middle of the square appeared a santile, otherwise known as a sandbog lizard. They originated from the Corel Deserts where they were known to hide skillfully beneath the surface with the ability to hear whatever walked the surface before attacking.
Within seconds the lizard launched upon Ibex only to be thrown away with a parry and thrust. Two minutes later the lizard lay dead across the room.
Ashes had to admit that a Santile was a simple beast to kill and there was little experience one could gain from it. This was Childs play of course.
Upon the fifth round, a minotaur appeared and Ibex had trouble with this half bison humanoid beast. It was ten minutes later when he yelled out defeat and the test was over. The minotaur was suspended in mid air with blue laser lights and Ibex limped out of there before the creature vanished.
“Not bad kid.” Reno praised as Ibex stood in front of him,
“Nothing a little training under me won’t help.” Ibex nodded and returned to the mass of students awaiting thier turn.
Reno and Yuriel conversed among themselves as each student continued to try to make it to the top.
“Some of these kids need discipline badly...I mean don’t get me wrong, some show promise.” Yuriel commented. Reno leaned back in his chair watching a small framed girl kick a cockatrice into oblivion.
“You know Yuriel, I miss the good old days when action was always around the corner.” Reno said.
“You gave that up when you married and had two kids.” Yuriel snickered.
“Yeah I know, I don’t regret it I mean you didn’t turn out so bad yet how you managed to avoid inheriting your mothers hyper genes baffles me.”
“Shut up Dad.” Yuriel smiled then added, “Do you think Mom will fly home this weekend?”
“You know she’s running a government and she is the rightful queen...I miss that woman. If you want, this weekend you can go fly over to Wutai to see her...maybe you’ll have the charm to bring her home for a bit. “ Reno stated. Yuriel only nodded,
“Who’s next?”
“Strife, Ashes.” Yuriel called out and looked at his Dad in question.
“Well I’ll be...Cloud has a daughter and an arrogant brat at that too.” Reno said as he watched the silver headed girl make her way to the front.
Ashes made her way through the mass of people and placed her hand on the hilt of her katana. She looked over at her instructor and Yuriel and awaited orders to go inside the battle arena. Reno nodded and she made her way down the limestone steps into the area.
Easy Ashes...you’ve seen almost every monster thrown out...except for level six, seven, and eight. Oi...’
She has her hair tied back, her feet evenly spaced, her body and mind relaxed, just like Dad taught her...now for the monster. Ashes drew out her four foot slim blade and placed it horizontally in front of her with her left hand.
A sandbog santile emerged and faced her hissing, it came forth, it’s restrictions free and suddenly the reptiles attention was focused on her. It launched itself, claws forward, it’s elongated neck outstretched ready to rip her limbs off only to be cut in half in mid air.
Ashes walked back to her side of the arena and waited for the next beast to be thrown at her. The next opposition was none other then a pair of wild plain wolves, mutated from mako radiation inherited from the beasts twenty years ago. They were twice the size of normal wolves with deformed tough leather skin where fur was supposed to be; thier eyes beady black. They circled her, waiting for her to make a mistake, but Ashes drew a deep breath, her arms hanging gently at her sides, but her nimble fingers held on to the hilt of her blade.
The voices of students faded out, the air currents became but a whisper to the imagination, everything was dead still yet the soft foot falls of the beasts came rushing back to her like metal banged against metal.
Twenty feet...fifteen feet...ten feet...seven feet...LUNGE.’
The katana’s deadly edge ripped the air apart and tore its way through the wolf’s bulk leaving a carcass heap on the floor. The other wolf hesitated before lunging from the ground only to be struck through it’s mouth and pinned down to the floor. Ashes conjured up a small flame and watched as the element combusted the animal’s body into dust.
Reno watched in interest along with Yuriel, noticing the girl’s perfect balance and stance: Her face a portrait of cool stone, her body fluent like water. After the fifth level, she waited for the 6th creature to attack her.
Not many made it this far but he wondered if she would be a match for a bog serpent. In the middle of the battle arena, a gray viper appeared, it’s vicious looking eyes boring straight into the human before it, but before the beast could react, Ashes was on the opposite side and the serpent lay dormant in segments.
Level seven: rock giant; Founded on Mt. Nibel and known for it’s deadly earth shattering attack. Immune to water and ice...what would this girl do now? To Reno’s astonishment, the girl cast her katana on fire till it glowed a molten gold...seconds later she unleashed a fury of attacks upon the giant boulder. Her katana a hot knife cutting through butter once again leaving her opponent in pieces.
“Well Father, should I get ready?” Yuriel asked in a low tone. Reno nodded and walked up to the entrance, his teal eyes looking down at the girl,
“Congratulations, you are the first this year to get this far. If you succeed this next opponent then I will move you up to junior class.”
Ashes looked up at her instructor and listened carefully to his praise, but something was missing. Where was Yuriel? Then it dawned on her when the next challenger up appeared in the battle Arena.
Yuriel stood silently, his hands wielding a double headed spear. He bowed down before her in respect and readied himself for the fight. Ashes cocked an eyebrow for she figured this would be a battle against monsters instead of humans.
“I refuse.” she declared and sheathed her katana.
Yuriel hesitated and relaxed,
“You have no choice if you wish to go into the junior class.”
“What makes you think that I will fight a fellow human being?”
“Why not? A battle is a battle no matter who your opponent is. What if you were in a war?” Yuriel inquired, his spear erect next to him. As the moments dragged on, Ashes noticed the students began to yell for a fight and pound on the glass walls for them to continue.
“I refuse.” she stated through gritted teeth and her red eyes bore into Yuriel’s gray-brown.
“I promise I won’t hurt you and if by any chance we wound each other too much, the SRS will stop us both. Now prepare.” He demanded and began to advance on her.
Her heart began to race as her thought process caught up with what was going on. ‘Dear Hyne...why?’ she begged to herself and cringed,
I’ll just have to be very careful...’
Yuriel ran toward her and waited for her to move only to find the young woman missing. Suddenly he felt something at the base of his neck...
“I won.” she whispered retrieving her sheathed katana away from his neck.
“Don‘t be too sure precious.” Yuriel snickered and dropped to the ground, sweeping her off the ground with a kick from his foot.
Ashes tumbled to the floor but recovered as she flipped backwards away from Yuriel. Her hair had come undone and she looked up at the man,
“I wouldn’t have guessed that you were trained in the martial arts.” she stated.
“I was taught in Wutai by the empress herself.” Yuriel gloated.
“Funny, I was taught by Cloud Strife, the planet’s hero.” she rubbed back only to growl as Yuriel mocked her with a graceful bow,
“Well my lady, show me what you’ve got.” he teased.
Ashes flipped backwards, her katana still sheathed and awaited his next attack.
For several minutes both rivals struck blows, each blocking the others, both waiting for who would show the first hint of exhaustion. Yuriel smiled only to be caught off guard by the woman’s foot connecting with his right cheek bone.
He fell to the floor and dodged her high jump just in time by grabbing her foot and twisting her in mid air, which brought them both tumbling down.
Just then the SRS went into effect and both combatants were paralyzed by the system before enduring anymore harm upon one another. Reno’s voice boomed into the arena,
“Enough, both of you come back up here andI warn you if you lay a hand or weapon upon each other I’ll have you kicked out.” The SRS system vanished and Ashes got up off of Yuriel quite disappointed with the outcome.
“I’m honored to have had this battle with you Ash-san.” Yuriel bowed and began to walk up the stairs to the main floor. Ashes followed and when she stood in front of her class they looked at her in a different aspect: Fear.
* * *
I know my chapters are long, but I try to make each event as in depth and detailed as possible. Please: your comments and encouragement is welcome.