Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Between the Lines ❯ Scotch and Self Assessment ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Between the Lines
 
Description: What happened to Reno and Rude in Advent Children during the times they were off camera. How and why they showed up where they did when they did. Rated T for language and descriptions of torture.
 
Disclaimer: Final Fantasy VII and its characters are the property of Square-Enix. Everything in this fic is just speculation on my part. I have no insider information. I also have no money, so suing me would be pointless.
 
Two: Scotch and Self-Assessment
 
Rude discreetly shifted his weight from his right foot to his left and continued to wait. They had reached Healin in eight minutes thanks to Rude driving like … well, like Reno usually did. In spite of the excessive speed, an additional ten minutes had passed before anyone had answered Elena's phone. The delay had agitated Reno so much that Rufus had asked him for a scotch with the heavy implication that Reno was welcome to indulge as well.
 
Through the small circular window in the door, Rude watched the President talk to their new unknown enemy as he stood by the window in the main room. Rude's sharp, shaded eyes scanned carefully for any sign of fatigue in his boss, but they also took in Rufus's confidence, the easy, laid-back way he conversed with the man who had two of their own captive. Rude allowed himself a small, private smile. Reno liked to complain that the President had devolved into an overgrown, bratty toddler, but Rude knew that Rufus had many different faces and could use them all expertly if it would advance his own agenda.
 
He waited patiently for several more minutes, the silence broken only by the clink of bottle on glass as Reno refilled his drink repeatedly. Finally, Rufus flipped the phone closed and motioned to Rude through the door.
 
"Reno."
 
His partner rose, finished the current drink, and set the glass down on the bar before joining him. Rude smirked to himself. Rufus's ordered scotch had been completely forgotten, and he knew the President would not inquire after it. As for Reno, only the slightest tinge of pink in his cheeks suggested any difference in the red-head. Rude knew from experience that Reno held his liquor very well.
 
In the main room, Rufus returned the phone to Reno and then handed him a small piece of paper that he had produced from his pocket. "Call him," Rufus said succinctly. "Tell him you want to see him. Here."
 
Reno read the paper, and his brow furrowed in confusion. "Cloud, sir?"
 
"Yes, Cloud. He runs a delivery service in Edge now. Tell him you have a job for him."
 
Reno shrugged and wandered away to comply. Rufus turned to look out the window, his hands clasped lightly behind his back, and motioned with his head for Rude to come closer. When he had, Rufus said in a low voice, "They don't have Tseng and Elena."
 
Rude blinked, shocked. "Sir?"
 
"Kadaj -- the leader -- he wouldn't let me talk to Tseng. So I told him to make him scream for me, just to let me know he was there. He didn't. He called me a sadistic bastard and changed the subject. He doesn't have them."
 
Rude suppressed a shiver. He was well aware of his boss's cold efficiency, but it disturbed him when it was applied to one of their own. In a steady voice, he asked, "How could he lose them in the space of fifteen minutes?"
 
"I don't know. Is Reno sure it was them before?"
 
Rude drew himself up a little straighter, a difficult action considering how straightly he always bore himself. "I am sure, sir."
 
Rufus's good eye glided over Rude's stony face. The corner of his mouth twitched slightly. "I see. Then we must attribute it to a spot of good fortune. Don't tell Reno, though. Not yet." Rufus turned his head to look over his shoulder at the Turk in question. "I'm not completely certain, after all, and the anger … suits him."
 
Rude also turned his head to watch Reno as he paced back and forth, phone to his ear.
 
"Come on, come on," Reno was muttering. "Pick up the damn phone already. … ah! …" He stopped pacing and smiled brightly. "Tifa? Hey! Are you still hanging out with that spiky-haired loser?" The smile slid from Reno's face. "… It's Reno. From the Turks. You know. Reno? …" The response must have been favorable, for his face lit up once more. "Ha! Knew you couldn't forget me. Listen, I have a job for your chocobo-head boyfriend. … What? Hey, Rude!" Reno turned to him, an evil grin spreading over his lips. "Tifa says Cloud's not her boyfriend. You want I should fix you up?"
 
Rude and Rufus turned back to the window together. The President sighed, "Or at least it did." Unaffected, Reno shrugged at their response and returned to his conversation.
 
Rufus shut his eye and kept it closed just long enough to spark Rude's concern. "Sir, you should rest now. You've been standing a long time." He crossed the room to where Rufus had abandoned his wheelchair and brought it to him. Rufus glanced briefly at him, took in the silent command, and sank into the chair with a small smile. There never was -- and Rude knew there never would be -- any warmth in the President's smiles, but this one held a bit of appreciation which Rude accepted.
 
Once he had settled, Rufus ordered, "Bring it here."
 
Rude walked to the couch by the door and retrieved the black box. He gave it to Rufus who inspected it closely even though, to Rude's eyes, there was nothing of interest on the outside.
 
"And you're sure they didn't keep any for themselves?"
 
"I watched them the entire time, sir. They attempted to distract me, but I insisted, as ordered."
 
"Good." He rested the box in his lap and covered it with a protecting hand.
 
"Done, sir," Reno announced, walking up to them. "Tifa said she'll pass the message along. Apparently he doesn't live there anymore." Reno's eyes dropped to the box, and Rude thought he saw his partner's nostrils flare in disgust. "So what did you tell that guy on the phone?"
 
"Kadaj is his name," Rufus answered. "There are three: Kadaj, Loz, and one smart enough to keep his mouth shut. I told him Cloud stole Jenova from us."
 
"Cloud?"
 
"Yes."
 
"Why, sir?''
 
Rufus treated Reno to a smile they knew well, one of sly condescension. "The last time someone ran around hurting people and rambling on about 'Mother', I essentially owned the world. And yet with all my money, power, and resources, I was unable to stop him. Cloud did. Now I have next to nothing, only the remains of my company which, while it is growing, is still not even a tenth of what it once was. What chance do I have to stop this threat now?"
 
Reno hung his head. To Rude's surprise and admiration, he seemed to understand the question was rhetorical. Quietly, he said, "I see, sir."
 
"Good."
 
"But, sir," Rude interjected, "why set up a meeting with Cloud?"
 
"Because," he answered with a smirk, "even my plans do not always turn out the way I expect. It is best to be prepared." He lifted his head slightly and said with more force, "Reno, I have nothing further for you at this time. You may relax until we hear more. Rude, this bandage should be changed. If you would be so kind as to do that?"
 
"Certainly, sir."
 
As Rude began carefully taking off the bandage surrounding Rufus's head and left eye, Reno flopped onto the couch and turned on the small TV. A few moments later, Rude glanced over at him and saw his fingers once again drumming, this time on the back of the couch.
 
A pang of guilt pierced Rude's chest; he quickly caught and bottled it. Rufus had ordered, and he would follow.
 
He looked down at the President as he gently wrapped a clean bandage around his head and secured it. That's what makes us different. I pack my emotions away and store them elsewhere so I can do my job, but I still have them. Even though I rarely allow myself to, I still remember how to sympathize, to care, to love. I still know how to feel. Although I respect you, I will never be like you.
 
And I'm perfectly fine with that.