Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ By Your Side ❯ Conference ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: Conference

"I think we're being followed," Ritz whispered into Shara's ear.

The young Viera smiled faintly. "Rosetta's been shadowing us since we left. But it's good that you noticed."

"Why doesn't she just join us, then?" Ritz asked.

"She's here to keep an eye on us. That, and she doesn't want to seem rude by inviting herself."

Ritz huffed. "I think it's ruder to spy on people."

Shara shook her head. "Rosetta is harmless. To us, anyway. That's why Shanon sent her."

"You mean that Assassin that's always hanging around Marche?"

"That's her. And I hope you're not jumping to any conclusions. I can assure you that she has absolutely no interest in him THAT way."

Ritz blushed, thankful that Shara couldn't see her face. "So? What do I care how she sees him?"

Shara smirked. "If you didn't, you wouldn't have defined her by mentioning how much she's around Marche. You also wouldn't be gripping my shoulders a bit harder."

"So are you admitting she spends a lot of time with him?"

"Yes. It's nothing more than a severe case of loyalty, though. It's not unusual for Assassins to be so fiercely protective of their clan leaders. Some clan heads even demand it."

"I still don't see how you can be so sure about her, Shara," Ritz muttered.

"Trust me," Shara said with a smile. "Shanon isn't attracted to Marche. It's just not in her nature."

* * * * *

Having no pressing clan business to handle, Marche allowed Littlevili to drag him to the local pub. He had never met a Viera so fond of drinking, or so capable of holding her liquor. They were soon joined by Eldena, and later on by Shanon. Marche gave her an appreciative nod as she sat between Eldena and Littlevili, and she returned it, though almost imperceptibly. It was his way of thanking her for looking after Ritz (and maybe Shara, too).

The conversation topics varied greatly, from the latest weapons on the market to how the Bloodthirsters were holding several Judges hostage until they were allowed entry into the Clan League. Somehow, they eventually got to the topic of love interests.

"Haven't had a date in years," Littlevili said confidently. "Too distracting. Well, also I can't find a single guy that both likes me and has the guts to stand up to me big sis. Don't know which of us is scaring them away, but whoever it is sure is doing a good job."

Eldena sighed. "At this point, my dragons are better company than most men I've met. No offense, Marche. They don't make excuses, they don't lie, and so long as you sing to them first, they don't mind cuddling."

"I have always found that another Viera can meet my needs better than any other race," Shanon stated.

"You're a lesbian?" Marche asked in complete shock.

Littlevili frowned. "Huh? What's a lesbian?"

Marche blushed. "Um…well…it means she prefers a mate of the same gender."

"Well, we ARE an all-female race," Eldena reminded him. "It's a perfectly natural solution."

"Then how do you…um…reproduce?"

"The same way you do, I imagine," Littlevili added with a grin. "We find ourselves a guy, and one thing leads to another. Not ALL of us are lesbians."

"…you think I'm gay?" Marche asked hesitantly.

"What? No, no!" Littlevili sputtered. "I mean, of course YOU would find a girl! I'm just saying!"

"Only, there aren't that many girls in Ivalice," Eldena noted. "Ritz is the only one I've ever seen, anyway."

"Guess that tells us all we need to about your love life, huh, Marche?" Littlevili snickered, elbowing him.

Despite turning bright red, Marche managed to retain at least some of his composure. "What makes you think I'm interested in Ritz?" he asked, trying to sound confused.

"You're lucky Shara isn't here," Eldena laughed. "She's the one that started the list. `Numbered Proofs That Marche Loves Ritz,' or something like that. She made one for Ritz, too, of course."

Marche stared at her in surprise. "Shara did that? Are you sure?"

"Are you BLIND, man?!" Littlevili asked. "She's been trying to get you two together since day one! You can't be that clueless!"

Though he didn't argue with her, Marche began to wonder if he was the only one that had noticed a certain pattern in Shara's behavior of late. It was also possible that the other Viera knew and were merely avoiding mentioning it in order to protect Shara, but if they were, they all had excellent poker faces. It suddenly occurred to him that as much time as he spent around them, he still had trouble determining when a Viera wasn't being totally honest with him. He couldn't help wondering if it was the same for Ritz.

* * * * *

Ritz stared sadly at the patch of pale blue flowers before her. "I miss my blue rose," she sighed loudly.

"Marche has it," Shara replied automatically, poking at the grass with her bow. "Just ask him for it when we get back."

That got Ritz's attention. "He's had it? Ever since you brought me back from St. Ivalice?"

Shara nodded. "You sound surprised. Why?"

"I just don't understand…why would he keep it?"

"To remind him of you?" Shara guessed, shrugging. "Ask him."

"Well, if it was that, he wouldn't just say so," Ritz replied. "He'd make up something."

"And then you would know for sure. You can tell when he's lying, can't you?"

"Yeah. He was never very good at it." Ritz smiled faintly. "I always liked that about him."

Shara gave her an odd look. "Why?"

"Because once he realized that I always knew when he was lying, he stopped doing it. You don't know how hard it was to find honest people where we came from."

"There are deceitful men here, as well. You just haven't had to deal with them outside of battle. Besides, I don't think you've thought of any other man since you've been here."

Ritz couldn't help laughing. "What are you talking about, Shara? Marche isn't a man! He's a boy!"

Shara didn't laugh. "He may have a boy's face and a boy's speech, Ritz. But it takes a man to put away boyish things and become a warrior. No boy could fight against an entire world and win."

"I suppose you're going to tell me that I'm a woman and make me feel old, right?" Ritz asked jokingly.

"No, Ritz. You are a woman." Shara paused and looked at her friend. "A beautiful young woman. Anyone who tells you different deserves to have their throat cut."

Ritz stopped smiling. "You say that like you'd be the one with the knife."

"Name one time when I've ever failed to defend your honor."

"Shara, I hate to say it, but you're sounding less like my best friend and more like my jealous boyfriend. And now I know I must be crazy, because you're still trying to hook me up with Marche."

For a moment, a look like pain flashed across Shara's face, but Ritz was studying the flowers again. "You are still very weak," Shara said gently. "And even if you weren't, you have to understand that it's instinct for me to want to protect you, whether you need me to or not. You are my dearest friend, Ritz, and I am not in the habit of losing them."

"But you're not trying to protect me from Marche," Ritz pointed out.

"I don't believe Marche could intentionally hurt you any more than he could cut off his own hand. And since he has your approval, what reason do I have to doubt him? If you would die for him, who am I to stand in the way of your love?"

"Well, a minute ago, you were my great protector. Now you sound like you want Marche to make me barefoot and pregnant."

Shara knelt down and placed her hands on Ritz's shoulders. "What I want is for you to experience all the great things that life here can offer. If you would have me believe that Marche is one of them, then I want you to experience him, too."

Ritz leaned back into Shara's arms and laughed. "Thanks a lot, Shara. Now I'll never be able to keep a straight face when someone mentions experiencing all life has to offer."

* * * * *

"I hope I didn't offend you earlier, Shanon," Marche said as he caught up to the Assassin.

She gave him a disinterested glance. "There is no need to apologize. It is true that Rosetta and I are bound. I may not tell every single person I come across, but I am certainly not ashamed of it. It was I who propositioned her, after all."

"I just wanted to be sure," Marche continued. "Where I come from, `lesbian' isn't an insulting term, but I wasn't sure how Viera felt about it."

"It's an odd word, and one I'd never heard before. I do not understand why Humans need a term for one who finds comfort in another of the same gender. When a Viera chooses a life partner, she is simply bound, no matter whom her partner might be. What I have with Rosetta is hardly any different from what you might one day have with Ritz."

"Well…you could never have children," Marche noted. "Doesn't that bother you at all?"

"If anything, Rosetta would be more likely to become a mother. As for children, there are other options."

"Like what? Viera can't change their gender, can they?"

Shanon smirked. "Of course not. But if you are so concerned with Rosetta becoming a mother, I suppose she would consider you a suitable consort."

That made Marche stop in his tracks. "What?! But…you just said you and Rosetta are bound!"

She nodded. "Yes. But that does not prevent us each from taking other partners. It is not unusual for a single Viera to be bound to several partners. You were not aware of this?"

Marche stared at her in disbelief. "So…you're saying I could marry-uh, be bound to Rosetta? And you wouldn't care?"

"Of course I would care. She is my life partner. But if she found you worthy of fathering her children, that is her choice. After all, you would be bound to her, not me. I would have no say in your being bound."

"But what if I wanted to be bound to you afterwards?"

Shanon stopped and turned to stare into his eyes. "Then you would have a very difficult time convincing me to agree. But there would be nothing standing in your way but that, I suppose."

Marche frowned thoughtfully. "Then, technically, Ritz could do the same thing?"

"She is Human, not Viera. But if our ways suit her so well, I see no reason why she could not."

* * * * *

Ritz waited until Shara had vanished into the bushes before taking a deep breath and attempting to stand. It took far longer than she would've preferred, but she could not suppress a smile when she finally made it to her feet. Feeling inspired, she decided to take a few experimental steps.

Any hopes she had of walking back alone collapsed along with her legs, which folded beneath her before she could complete the first step. Ritz felt no pain, but she was completely drained.

"Careful," said a voice behind her, as brown arms covered in white runes wrapped around her waist. "You shouldn't strain yourself so soon, Ritz."

Ritz turned her head to see the silver eyes of Rosetta locked on hers. "Thanks."

"Does Shara know you're trying to walk?" she asked, gently lowering Ritz to the ground.

"No. She'd be against it. Do you know she carried me all the way out here?"

"I saw," Rosetta confessed. "She's worried about you, that's all. It'll be a while before you regain your strength, and she only wants to protect you."

"That's what she said. But my legs will never get any better if I don't try."

"On that much we agree, then. You do need more exercise. This is the first time you've left your room in months."

"I don't suppose you'd be interested in being my personal trainer?" Ritz asked hopefully.

"No offense, dear, but you couldn't keep up with me in the state you're in. Shara would be more patient than anyone else, I'd think."

"I know," Ritz sighed. "But lately, she spends all her time with me. She's not really…living, you know?"

"Has it ever occurred to you that maybe she doesn't see it that way? In your world, how many friends did you have that would devote themselves completely to you?"

Ritz didn't have to think long. "Just Marche, I guess. And even he would split in a second if Doned needed him."

"There are still some things you don't understand about Viera, Ritz. In her opinion, Shara isn't sacrificing anything. She's merely fulfilling her duty as your best friend. It would be hard for anyone to distinguish whether she wants to care for you as she does, or if she just feels she has to. Either way, you're stuck with her. And is that such a bad thing, since she truly wants what's best for you? Personally, if I had that kind of attention, I wouldn't be so quick to give it up."

Ritz shook her head. "But if I never get better, Shara will spend the rest of our lives taking care of me. Do you really think that's what she wants?"

"What I think is that she loves you, and you don't seem to realize it," Rosetta replied simply. Suddenly, she raised her voice and said, "Did I show you my new bracelet, Ritz? Shanon gave it to me."

Ritz flashed her a puzzled look, but smiled as she ran her fingers over the golden bracelet. "It's very nice. What did you do to deserve it, I wonder?"

"You might say I was just myself," Rosetta answered with a smile. She looked over Ritz's head. "Oh, there you are, Shara. Ritz wants to tell you something."

Ritz suddenly felt very nervous, wondering how much of their conversation Shara had heard. She didn't want to seem unappreciative of Shara's care, and if her friend got the wrong idea, it could be very bad.

"What is it?" Shara asked as she helped Ritz to her feet.

"I want to walk back to town," Ritz said firmly.

Shara frowned slightly. "Ritz…"

"No. I want to, Shara."

"Please…you're not strong enough…"

"Then I want to at least try."

Shara relented in the face of her friend's determination. "Okay. But I'm not leaving your side."

Ritz smiled. "Good. I could use an armrest."

Shara rolled her eyes, but said nothing as she slipped both arms around Ritz's waist.

"Hold it, you two," Rosetta said as she blocked their path. "Nobody's going anywhere until we've all had a dose of my White Flame. And I plan to keep using it at regular intervals. Any objections?"

Shara looked mildly insulted, but since Ritz was fine with it, she didn't protest.

* * * * *

Eldena sighed as she cast Kirin on Ritz's room. "You know it's more effective if she's actually in the room."

"I know," Marche admitted. "But she'd never let you do it then. As many healers as I've assigned to her already, she'd only get angry. She barely lets me touch her anymore, because she thinks I only want to hold her hand so I can Nurse her."

"Do you think her dying for you was a mistake then?"

"Yes. For one thing, it didn't do what she wanted it to do. For another, there are other ways to help someone figure out you love them. All it's done is drive us apart, and brought her and Shara closer."

"Don't tell me you're jealous of Shara?" Eldena asked.

"Of course I am. She's always with Ritz. Me, I have to find excuses to be with her, or she gets suspicious. The worst part is, there's no real reason why I couldn't do for her what Shara does. Assuming Ritz would let me, anyway."

"Maybe you need to remind Ritz that you love her."

Marche shook his head. "I think that would only upset her. Lately, I'm wondering if Ritz and I were just meant to show that we love each other, and then do nothing else."

Eldena patted his arm sympathetically. "That sounds like an especially cruel fate, Marche."

He sighed. "Only for one of us, I'm afraid."

* * * * *

Next Chapter:

Marche makes up his mind, and so does Shara.