Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Counterfeit God; Part I ❯ Chapter 18

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
18

---

The new information and the plan that had been decided upon had totally blown Sirius’s mind. They were all going to be separated. Cid was going to fix the situation in Rocket Town. Yuffie was returning home, Vincent was going to Mideel, Cloud was returning to his home as well, taking her with him, Morghann and her family were going to Kalm, they’d all be separated. A perplexed look crossed her face as she gazed into Sarah’s basinet, her hands resting on the edge. Big green eyes stared up at Sirius, causing her to smile a sad smile before scooping the baby into her arms.

“I’m going to hold you while I can, Sarah. We may not see each other for a while.” She told the child, those eyes staring up at her. “There are some things going on here that are bad. A really bad man is after your mommy and me. We’re going to fool him by going different places.” Sirius sat down in the rocking chair Morghann had bought for after the baby arrived. She rocked Sarah as she seemed to stare into nothing. “It’ll be over soon though. If anything bad happens to you or your mommy or daddy, Aunt Sirius will beat them up. I promise you that.”

Reno and Cloud had gone to take Morghann out onto the land so that she could heal. Both she and Reno would need all their strength if Eko happened to attack them while they were in Kalm. Sirius sighed as she continued to rock baby Sarah, the infant grabbing a lock of her long silver-white hair and wrapping it around her chubby pink fingers. Sirius gave a little laugh as she giggled up at her.

“You’ll be alright, little one. You’re going to be strong just like your mommy and daddy.” Sirius lifted her head as she sensed Cloud and the others returning. It really hadn’t taken them as long as she thought. Heavy footsteps could be heard coming up the stairs. In a split second, a shock of blonde hair stood in the doorway staring at her. She saw his eyes soften at the sight of Sarah in her arms and she knew what he was thinking. “Soon, love.”

Cloud wasn’t given the chance to respond, as Morghann entered the room right behind him. A bright smile lit her face as she moved to take Sarah from Sirius’s arms. The baby cooed as she touched her mother’s face. Reno had entered soon after.

“How was my little girl?” Morghann asked Sarah. “You were good for Sirius, weren’t you?”

Sirius smiled. “She was perfect. Nothing to worry about.” She said, standing up and stretching. “I suppose I should start making a list of everything I absolutely need to take to Nibelheim. We’ll have to be leaving soon.”

“That’s right.” Cloud added. “We want to keep Eko off our tail for as long as possible.”

Morghann nodded as the two exited the room. It would be difficult for Sirius to part with her, but she knew it had to be done. It was the only way to ensure the safety of both women.

---

Two weeks had come and gone so quickly. The group of ten stood outside of the Seventh Heaven. This would probably be the last time they saw each other for a while. Silence and tension hung over them as they prepared to say their goodbyes. The Sierra hung in the air not far away as Cid took a drag from his cigarette and looked back at the ship. Hoisting his sack onto his shoulder, he decided to break the silence.

“Alright, I think it’s time to go over the plan one more time before we leave.” He said gruffly.

It was Cloud who spoke. “Reno, Morghann, and Sarah are traveling with you, Cid. You’ll take them to Kalm before you head to Rocket Town. Yuffie, Sirius and I are leaving here to sail to Costa Del Sol. We part ways with Yuffie in Nibelheim and she’ll continue on to Wutai. Vincent will head to Mideel from Fort Condor. Tifa and Barret will stay behind in Midgar to keep in contact with Rufus. Rude and the others will contact us if anything goes wrong.”

“So I guess this is it.” Tifa said quietly. “Get one last look at each other, everybody, because then it’s time to go.”

Morghann and Sirius shared a tight embrace. “Don’t you dare hesitate to call me if something happens, Morghann.”

“Don’t worry, Sirius, I’ll call. Besides, Reno might freak out a little.”

“Hey!” the said redhead protested indignantly. “That’s not fair.”

“Stop being a pansy and get on the ship!” Cid barked, earning him a glare from Reno.

Nothing else was said as the group began to disperse. Cloud mounted Fenrir and Sirius climbed onto her own motorcycle with Yuffie behind her. They’d decided to only take the clothes they needed with them as well as their phones. Reno and Morghann climbed the stairs to the Sierra, Cid following behind them. Vincent seemed to disappear without a word. Marlene stood next to Tifa, holding her hand as she and Barret watched the others go. Denzel stood silently on the front stoop.

“Tifa, where is everyone going?” she asked, looked up at the woman.

“They have to go away for a while, sweetie. There’s a crazy man after Morghann and Sirius, so they can’t be together right now. “

Denzel cocked his head to the side. “If they split up, Eko has less of a chance of getting what he wants.”

“Exactly right.” Barret said. “You’ve been learning from Cloud, haven’t you?”

A broad smile covered Denzel’s face as he nodded. He looked up to the blonde more than anyone else in the world. It had crushed him to learn that he and Sirius were going to Nibelheim, but he supposed it couldn’t be helped. Denzel did understand danger, however. Bahamut had been far too close of a call for him and the thought of the creature still made him shudder. This present danger, however, was somehow more prominent, more well, dangerous. He didn’t know quite how to make that sound logical, but it made sense in his own mind.

---

After a month of living there, Sirius was finally beginning to adjust to Cloud’s hometown of Nibelheim. It was a small quiet town in the mountains and it somehow fit the blonde perfectly. A sigh escaped her as she stared out the window of their townhouse at the streets below. Cloud had gotten a job as, what else, a delivery boy. The irony of it made Sirius snicker internally. She couldn’t really blame him. It’s what he did. At least he didn’t decided to take up that offer as a fighter for hire. She herself had gotten a job as a bartender at the local pub. The other workers had taken a liking to her, which was good in her case.

The others quickly came to mind. Had Vincent discovered anything in Mideel? Was Yuffie doing okay in Wutai? How was SOLDIER shaping up back in Midgar? How were Morghann and Reno holding up with Sarah in Kalm? These questions had often made her restless. Lucky for her, however, what was making her restless wasn’t her Geostigma. Sirius could do without that pain right now. The sound of the key turning the lock made her turn away from the window. A warm sensation flooded her mind with its gentle push. Cloud was home. A weary smile crossed his face as he tossed his keys on the coffee table. Sirius rose to meet him, wrapping her arms around his neck. He pecked her lips as he snaked his arms around her waist.

“Hard day?”

“No, just a lot of miles to cover before the deadlines.” Cloud replied. “Other than that, it wasn’t too bad.”

Sirius chuckled as she rested her head on his chest. “You always say that. Did you want some dinner before I have to go in tonight?”

“No, I’ll fix something later.”

He felt the curious push at his mind caused by hers as they stood like that. He knew she wanted to ask him, but was hesitant. His chuckle broke the silence and vibrated his chest. Sirius looked up at him. “I know you want to ask, so go ahead.”

“Did you hear anything from Vincent today?” Sirius asked in an anxious voice.

The blonde shook his head. “Not a word. The only calls I got today were from clients. I suppose that could be good or bad. It means that Vincent’s not having any trouble in Mideel, but it also means that Eko is hiding himself very well. I did hear from Rufus, though.”

“He’s started SOLDIER then?”

“It’s a big success. All the young men from Midgar as far as the grasslands are signing up. Apparently, everybody’s afraid of Eko.” Cloud told her.

Sirius nodded slightly. “Let me know if you find out anything. I have to go to the pub now.”

Cloud smiled. “Have a good night at work. I’ll let you know if I hear anything. Be careful, Sirius.”

“Aren’t I always?” She replied with a wink. Grabbing her apron, Sirius kissed him on the cheek and rushed out the door. It was Friday, so the pub would be busy up until close tonight.

---

The brunette sighed as she wiped down the bar. The Seventh Heaven had been packed, as usual. Barret was locking the doors. Things seemed so empty without Cloud and the others in the upstairs rooms. Even Marlene and Denzel hadn’t been as cheerful as they normally were. Rude and the other Turks had dropped by several times in the past month to give updates on the search for Eko and the status of the others. Tifa just wished that they could be facing this together.

“What’s on your mind, Tifa?” She jumped at Barret’s sudden speech. “Them again?”

“Yeah, I’m just worried about everyone. I mean, like, how are Reno, Morghann, and the baby? Is Yuffie keeping out of trouble? Has Vincent found anything in Mideel? Are Cloud and Sirius doing okay?”

Barret held his head . “Too many questions, girl! You’ve got to have faith in them or else you’re not going to be able to keep this up. Since when has this crew never been able to take care of themselves?”

Tifa was silent. It was true. They had defeated Sephiroth together. So many battles had been fought and so many secrets had been discovered. Avalanche had become like a tightly knit family in such horrible times. She paused during her dishwashing to ponder this thought. When would they see each other again? Eko couldn’t exactly be left out of the equation either. He was playing with fire and didn’t see how deadly it was. Couldn’t Eko see that this weapon he was planning on creating could possibly destroy him too? Clearly not. They had to find a way to stop him before it was too late and he got the last elements of his experiment. It wasn’t going to be an easy task. If he’d evaded them for that long, what was to stop him from finding the others? Shaking her head, Tifa finished up washing the glasses. Barret had already retired for the night. A clonking was heard on the stairs. She smiled when she saw Marlene standing at the bottom.

“What is it, sweetie?”

“Tifa, could you tuck me in?”

“Sure thing, Marlene.” Tifa replied, finishing the last glass and treading over to the girl. “What’s wrong, couldn’t sleep?”

Marlene shook her head. “I miss everybody. When are they coming back?”

Tifa couldn’t help but smile. “I know. They’re in danger right now, so they’re hiding. They’ll be back soon, Marlene. Don’t you worry.”

“Will they be back soon? Denzel really misses Cloud.” She said quietly.

“I know. I miss him, too.” Tifa sighed. “I miss Sirius and everybody else, too. They’ll be back. I know they will. You just have to have faith.”

Marlene smiled at her. “Thanks, Tifa. I will. I know Cloud and Sirius are tough. They can take care of themselves.”

---

The wind rustled as it gusted down the streets of Edge. Litter that had been lying on the pavement was picked up and pushed along the sidewalk until something was either blocking its path or it continued on its way. At one of the thousands of light posts that stood throughout the city, there was a group of young men gathered around it, staring intently at a flyer.

“Whoa man! Do you see that? Shinra’s brought back SOLDIER! That’s so awesome! I’m joining. What about you?”

“Yeah! I’m not going to let the Eko bastard threaten us anymore! He’s going down!”

A third young man nodded. “I’m going to protect my home from that bastard and help hunt him down.”

“So the three of us are going to join together, right?”

“Agreed.”

“Yeah! Let’s get to the corporate office and get forms!”

---

End Chapter