Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Derelict Revolution ❯ Looking at the Sky ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Junon, Shin-Ra Branch Building
Month Three, Day Six, 17:00


It was a fairly routine evening in Junon, the man mused, looking out of the large west facing window. The disaster that had struck Midgar left Junon mostly alone. Those trades with Midgar had been cut off, naturally, but to bolster the difference, Kalm's demand grew exponentially in just a few months. Most of those who survived fell back to Kalm as a refuge, others who had friends and family in other cities moved on to Junon itself, traveling to be reunited with their loved ones at those places.

Junon's government had, of course, sent some humanitarian aid to Kalm and the temporary camps that still ringed the perimeter of Midgar, but it was mostly surplus and things they hadn't been able to use or sell. Waste not, want not, Junon's Mayor had said.

The Shin-Ra military still left in Junon went along as normal, answering to the minor branch executives in Junon. It was funny, but the government nor the people asked who was giving the orders, they just assumed that naturally, with Shin-Ra's main headquarters gone, both the branch and the military broke off to their own ends. Rufus had been smart in replacing personnel in both organizations with people personally loyal to him, one way or another. The Turks were using those connections to keep them in line, secretly.

Even if anyone wondered, they'd have imagined Shin-Ra was busy with things in Midgar, if they thought it was still around.

Tseng figured that was one of their biggest advantages right now. People just didn't know how powerful Shin-Ra had become before the world crashed. You could chop off a lot of Shin-Ra and it would still be Shin-Ra, only slightly weakened before it regrew. The only dangerous part was having something cut too close to the head of the creature. If the man in the next room had truly been killed, that would have been cutting the snake's head off for certain. Without the head, the body would die.
Right now it was just unconscious, and there were advantages in having the rest of the executive staff killed or missing. It was the job of the Turks to keep the company safe after all, wasn't it? Though this might be a little out of the way...

The Turk's chief sighed, and tapped the desk's surface. It had been some time since Rude and Reno called in, not that he'd wanted them to while on the job, but it was getting worrisome that they weren't done already and out of Midgar. He'd wanted those records in particular removed from the destroyed headquarters, if they still existed, to keep from others getting them and to keep them safe in case the building ever decided to fall. Not that Tseng worried about it falling, Shin-Ra had been far too good in building Midgar and the tower, the design and building techniques were some of the best in the world. Lately, Rude and Reno had been joking about how "if it's been built by Shin-Ra, not even Meteor can squish it". Certainly, Reno meant that in regards to his own ego, Tseng figured.

"Tseng, sir?" Elena stood in the doorway, one delicate-looking hand clutching at the frame. She appeared slightly concerned. "Sir, he's thrashing about again and talking. Should I put another cool rag on his head?" She bit her lip slightly.

He turned to face her, raising an eyebrow. "I'll leave that up to your judgment, Elena. You've been good so far in that, you don't need to ask me every time." At first, it had been good for Elena to ask, as the rookie. There were so many things she still needed to learn, but now after almost a year of working for the Turks, it was getting to the point where she started to second guess herself. "I trust you." That, too, was something she needed to learn; that the Turks trusted, respected and looked out for each other.

The blond blushed slightly and nodded. "Yes, sir. I'll do what I think is best..." Ah, she seemed to finally get it. Tseng was satisfied. She disappeared back through the door, graceful but hurried. It was such a pleasant change having her around after how many years of the other two.
Dealing with them sometimes made him wish the others had come back from their last mission. That mission... They had sacrificed so many, all for the good of the world, and nobody would ever know of it.

So many things to regret, look back upon and shake his head at. Some of the more obvious things, like Sector Seven, others... more personal. Hearing her say those things in the Temple, for one, only to pass him by without even another glance or a look... It had shaken Tseng to his core. Things he had believed in toppled with just that simple action, so many doors closed forever, and just so paths opened up for the start of her destiny. Perhaps, in retrospect, what she had done was actually a merciful thing, one designed to make him hate her and not mourn her passing. It hadn't worked. Tseng still mourned, but not for what could have been, but for the things that now would never be for her.

A thump from the next room jolted him out of his woolgathering. Irritated, he called out, mostly because he didn't want to have to wheel this damned thing over there. "Elena, is everything all right?"

After a creak and a slight scuffle, and her voice came back a bit muffled, "Yes, sir. I just dropped a bottle. Please don't worry about it!"

Tseng rubbed his temples. Elena still had her faults.

Turning back to the desk, his PHS rang loud and clear in the otherwise silent office. Flipping it open, the ID read "Reno", and the chief hit the accept button. "Yes? Did you get it?"

The voice on the other end seemed rather cheerful, almost too. Reno and Rude must have had a successful mission, and Tseng could tell from that alone. "Sure thing, chief. Got everything you wanted just fine, had a few scraps along the way, but nothing that couldn't be solved by a shock or two to the head, heh heh." There was a pause though, and a slight change in frequency that suggested the redhead and turned. "But uh, just one little question though. Now that we got the stuff, where do you want us to stash it? Take it right to you, or...?"

Sighing, Tseng rubbed his temples again, feeling a slight headache coming on. "If you remember what I told you before leaving, I want it taken to the outpost on Mount Koltz. You know, the big peak between Junon and Midgar?"

There was some slight interference noise before Reno responded. "Oh, that one. Sure thing, I'll get Rude turned right then. By the way, Rude got some sort of monster attached to him so we're going to check into the blood room before we swing by. Oh and, you guys wanna go to that curry place I found the other day when we get back? It's been a while since any of us went out together."

It was some random rambling on Reno's part, but Tseng paused, actually considering it. Reno rarely ever did anything randomly, at least if he did there was a reason behind it, and if he was mentioning something, it would have to be a serious matter. Maybe in this case, he wanted people to relax a bit, they had been working rather hard and needed a morale boost.

"If you can find someone to watch you know who." Tseng finally replied, absently picking up a pencil, making a note on a paper pad of "dinner, curry", along side others he had written during the day. It really had been far too long since they went out together. He could barely remember the last time. It hadn't technically been that long ago... but it had been in a different world, with different struggles and successes, people who were there that are now missing.

He also made a mental note not to even try to compare. It wouldn't be the same, and would never be the same, so it was time to make it different enough to not feel those loses of world, successes and people.

"What? Isn't he stable enough to be on his own a few hours? You think he's just going to croak the second someone lets him out of their sight?" There was the good old Reno sarcasm; unfortunately, he'd never learned to put quality over quantity. "...I'm worried about him too, but ya know, nobody knows he's there, it's not going to kill him as long as we secure the place."

Shaking his head, Tseng set the pencil back down. "I'm not taking chances, Reno. You can gripe all you want- someone is going to be there. I'm rather surprised at you, since you're one of our most experienced turks... Or should I be thinking about a replacement?" The man had a rather grim smile on his face. It was the standard argument against Reno's gripes, and it never failed.

There was a disgusted noise made on the other end of the line. At least Tseng thought it sounded disgusted. "Yes, chief. I hate it when you do that... You know I think the president's safety is important, but come on... Nobody knows he's alive, much less knows he's in Ju-"

"Good." Tseng cut the redhead off, deciding to ignore the rest of the comment. "Report in when you've reached Junon. I'll be expecting a full personal report from both of you, Reno." That was a not so veiled threat, and it basically meant 'both of you, see me, or your asses are in trouble'. Snapping the phone closed, the black haired turk-chief set it down next to the notes, and wheeled over to the large, single panel plate glass window.

The sun was just starting on its downward journey into the sea, reds and oranges already pasting the clouds in a very faint, but definitely visible menagerie of colors. It was one of the few relaxing sights Tseng would allow himself these days, work being so heavy to keep things from being thrown into total chaos- a little chaos was expected and made allowances for, but it was a thread thin tight-rope they were walking along to keep from complete, uncontrollable free-for-all.

It was amazing, he mused, that during all the battles, not one person had probably stopped to look at the sky, or a sunset, tree or flower. If people would only do that once in a while, there would probably be no need of people like the Turks, or SOLDIER, or any of the terrorists or rebels. But no, the sky and all of its colors would be ignored, greed would flourish, human desires and wills, not always for the better, would triumph over the fact they were all creatures on the same boat. and bled the same, cried the same, died the same...

And then he snapped out of it. Something had attracted his attention away from his thoughts. Ah, there it was again. "Elena, is that you?" He got up to check on the girl, hoping that she wasn't having another one of her ditz attacks- however good of a turk she was, she was still young and prone to mistakes. It was just supervision of an employee, he argued, and not really watching her. "Elena?" He called again, but there was no answer... just that low moaning sound again. "Elena, if you're in there, answer me-" Tseng walked into the room, ready for about anything, but saw that Elena wasn't in there. She must have gone to get something, I'm just in the next room after all... He was about to leave when that noise started up again.

"...loud." It was a whisper, just barely audible, a breathy voice wracked with pain. Tseng turned sharply to the man in the bed, now fully alert. He got closer, watching for any signs of life or movement.

"Sir?" Tseng asked, softly. It was proven that soft, low sounds helped people in comas, he was trying very hard to practice it. The last thing the younger man needed was to thrash around and pull something vital out.

There was another moan, and finally the man turned his head, lifting his arm as if to brush something off his face. "Tseng... zat... is that..." The words were coming clearer now, stronger... Tseng was at the man's side in a rush, concern etched in his features.

"Yes, sir. It's me. Please don't move, careful now..." Tseng held the arm down gently, sure that contact would at least calm his charge a little. "It's all right. Take your time."
"Tired..." Rufus mumbled, cracking his eyes open, and staring blindly at the ceiling, then winced when his pupils finally focused. At that second, Elena chose to come back in, and nearly dropped the tray of supplies she was carrying.

"Oh, my! Sir! Is he awake?" She was all barely contained excitement, which earned her a sharp look from Tseng. She shrunk down as if chastised, and went to put the tray down by the bed.

The chief sighed, still holding Rufus down, but only lightly for Rufus seemed a little tense under his hands. "Yes, he's awake. Would you turn the lights down?"

Rufus coughed slightly, and winced again. "Elena... then I'm not... Where am I?" He really did seem to be getting better, but his voice was still cracking, still scratchy. Tseng released him, now sure that he wouldn't get up or thrash.

"You're in Junon... your old offices, actually. We brought you here after- ow!" Elena cut off sharply, having just been jabbed with a pointy firm finger, and Tseng made a cut motion across his throat. "Well, we'll tell you what happened after you get better." She finished, lamely.

There was something rather suspicious in the way she said that, so Rufus took it upon himself to lift his head and glare at Tseng. "I might have just woken up... but whatever you're hiding, spill it. I'd rather hear now, otherwise there may be complications later." Rufus didn't bother to mention how much pain he was in at the moment, it was all he could do not to flinch again as it was, with all the talking. It was beneath him to complain about a little physical drawback.

Tseng gave a full out glare to Elena, and she shrunk back and hid in a corner He was fond of her, but this was really getting tiring. At least he was the only person she ever shrunk back from... "Yes sir... Well, ahem, that is... maybe you should get more comfortable before I tell you."

"No." That was all it took from Rufus, and Tseng was forced to comply. His loyalty was utmost... even above and beyond the health and safety of the president, he had to follow orders.

The turk nodded, sighing. "Yes, sir. It's not exactly... Good news."

"More like, really bad news..." Elena pitched in, but this time Tseng made no attempt to silence her. "It's really changed a lot... You've been in a coma for three months now."
The president turned to look at her.

"It's true..." She fidgeted a little, feeling uncomfortable under his gaze.

Rufus shook his head, slowly. "I am aware I'm human, Elena, and can get hurt. I'm not surprised... I feel like I've been unconscious for years, not months." There were aches and creaks in every part of his body, cricks in his neck and sour tastes in his mouth. He also felt the point where the IV entered his skin, and it hurt. The light was still so bright to him, as well.

Tseng cleared his throat, feeling a little dry, before continuing. "You remember DIAMOND firing upon the tower, correct?" He waited for Rufus' affirmative, then gave a sigh. At least Rufus' memory wasn't affected. "Well... after that, the cannon was fired, and the accumulated energy destroyed the barrier in the North Crater. AVALANCHE infiltrated Sephiroth's hide out and disposed of him, but not before Meteor was entering the solar system. They claim Sephiroth was holding something that would stop it, a spell called Holy, back from working."

Rufus interrupted there. "A spell? Holy? They claimed a spell would stop Meteor? Where did they get it?" He demanded to know. Waving a hand to indicate he didn't know, Tseng shook his head. "We don't know. All I can gather is that it had something to do with the death of the ancient." Aerith... it hurts to talk about you like this. I hope you can forgive me for anything I might have failed you in... for you to turn your back so forcefully. Know that I always tried my best.

"There might have been another materia like the one from the Ancient Temple. We haven't found any evidence of this, yet." Of course, Tseng knew full well that it had been Aerith's materia, the one that she'd carried all the time he had known her... and also knew that she had been the one to call it. Telling them this would neither help nor hinder, so he did not offer the information. He had promised her, after all... and he was a Turk. To be a Turk, you must keep your word, and keep the secrets, and keep loyal.

"Well... Meteor came down just as Holy came out of the Crater. It did not have the effect AVALANCHE would have liked it to have... Meteor and Holy joined forces and... wrecked... Midgar. The forces of the two spells tore the tower apart, and many of the buildings. The plates themselves are still standing... Meteor was about to move on to the planet, but somehow... and you know I would never lie to you, sir, Lifestream rose out of its bed and vaporised it."

"People are still trying to explain that, and it's been three months since." Elena added.

There was a good, long silence on Rufus' end. "...Midgar's gone?"

In retrospect, maybe it hadn't been such a good idea to tell him.