Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Fairytale ❯ Squall Leonhart ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fairytale


Disclaimer: Again, for the fourth time, all the characters below, except "Octavius Hunter", "Noei", "Shuuin" and "Father", are owned by Squaresoft. Any comments and suggestions or even flames are welcomed. Thanx and Enjoy!!!

Squinoa!!!


Chapter Three: Squall Leonhart
It was almost dusk when Rinoa agreed to go home. It was one tough battle. She was all whimsical and in high spirits while the other, all sullen...but...fatigued??? It took Squall a lot of patience before she agreed...who the hell stated that princesses were soft and blah would really receive some gunblade slashing from him.

They reached the bungalow just in time when Irvine and Selphie were about to enter the low wooden fence that caged the small house. Rinoa, grabbing Squall's hand, dragged him to go on faster. The other two heard them come, allowing themselves to stop and wait for the two. It was of short distance, that Squall was saved from one hell of Rinoa's dragging.

"Hey Sefie! Hey Irvy!" Rinoa greeted, her smile unwavering, " How's the rest of the town?"

Selphie, under Irvine's arm, giggled, noticing a sudden improvement on Rinoa and Squall's position.

When the two left early this afternoon, Squall had walked ahead, miles away from Rinoa...but now, as if they were drawn by some magnetic field...although not that strong to have that foot distance be covered...but hey! The hands...

Clearing her throat, Selphie said something about the town being nice and Irvine being "well-behaved" as they made rounds around Winhill. As Squall "TRIED" to listen, he saw Irvine grinning sheepishly, quite touched by his girlfriend's choice of words. The foursome entered the house after sometime, the girls first and then the gentlemen. They were welcomed by Quistis, who was with Zell (both wearing an apron), and were led to the kitchen for supper.

It was a nice dinner, even for Squall. He had never experienced such a lively meal, for quite sometime. While the girls chatted about their usual thing, Irvine and Zell became more acquainted, even trying to win a few words from Squall. They didn't seem to worry of his silence, except for Rinoa, whom Squall frequently saw giving him stares when she thought he wasn't looking. They were all so confident, so comfortable, even though they lead a life of uncertainty. Squall silently bit his lamb chops. They were fabulous. He never knew somebody could actually cook like this, especially Zell, who was with him for months already.

After the meal, Selphie ushered the men outside, going back afterwards to help Rinoa and Quistis clean up. Squall declined politely, and wished to go to bed. He was then led to Zone and Watt's room, which was now vacant for the two have already left to collect information and therefore were sleeping somewhere else. Squall closed the door behind him. Stripping off his faded, feather-collared, black coat, he went straight to bed, lying in there quite comfortably.

He was mystery himself. No one actually knew him, until Zell and then this stuff came. When somebody would ask where he came from, he'd stay silent. When people would pass by and give him stares, he'd ignore them. Who can blame him? He doesn't trust anyone, even himself. He can't connect thoroughly, or be intimate because he just can't. Why you ask? Here's a clue: How can a person, not knowing his past, be comfortable facing the future?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My birth. I don't know. But if you would consider the first time I saw light...I sure remember.

It wasn't actually light, it wasn't really bright. When I first opened my eyes and had images seeping through my mind because of my eyes, I felt drops of water dripping on my face. My first thought was, "Water?", and when I tried to stand, I felt pain...torturing pain spreading on my head. I slumped back to the ground, my head weighing more and more. I squinted my eyes, grumbling as the hurt came pumping on my veins. I touched my head, it felt a little wet. Lowering my hand down to the temple, I felt something squishy...something thicker...

I tried opening my eyes. When I gained focus, I saw my fingers. Red. I touched my head again, and this time, I gritted my teeth, not letting any sound escape my lips. I felt pain. It twisted and gripped me, making me hold my breath. I had a wound, a wound on my head.

It took me moments before I regained my endurance. When I did, that was the only time I noticed the sky pouring. I told myself to sit up and look for cover, but it was hard. This time, I now realized that my head wasn't the only thing hurting; my left rib cage, my right knee and my shoulders also felt broken. They cried in unison, making me want to join them.

What happened to me? That question echoed involuntarily on my mind, but didn't last. First, I have to get myself a cover...or else...I wouldn't know the answer to that question afterall.

~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*

I survived, by myself. Maybe Hyne wanted me to, for some reason. Whatever it was, it SHOULD be of some great value, since I had to take care of broken bones and open wounds by myself with a lone forest surrounding me. How? I don't know. I just did.

My leg wasn't completely healed when I decided leaving the place. Yeah, it was nice living in there, with everything under my disposal. But everything seemed predictable as days went by, that I started hating the repetitive ennui visiting me-or more properly said-annoying me. I didn't like nature that much, except, it was quiet, makes me want to think. However, everytime I did, I ended up wanting to touch the past...a missing piece of me...and everytime I did, the pain goes back. First in zits, then in one big blow that there was a time I completely blacked out. Having these, I decided to forget the past, since Hyne kept telling me to "scram out of it" through headaches and mindblows.

For days I walked, loitered, and reached several towns. The first one was quite small, apparently still unknown, and the villagers called it Myecon. The people in there were friendly, and they usually welcome travelers like me. A small family, comprised of a father and two daughters, took me in after I won a cardgame battle against their head. He was a man of word, a great man, that I was drawn to wonder if I ever had one like him. All was well for weeks, that I slowly felt gaining a new home. But Fate seemed cruel...so cruel that my first few memories were etched with nothing but sorrow.

Father, as how I call him by then, asked me to catch some fish on Turbei lake, which was a mile from the village. It was the village's seafood source, and he'd taken me there for a few times already that it didn't bother me at all. I took the pick-up truck with me with some foods prepared by my new siblings, Noei and Shuuin. Saying goodbye to them, I went for the said lake, a new fishing rod resting by my side.

As how I remembered it, Turbei Lake was still the same. Beautiful and exquisite, untouched and pure. The water was close to jade green, with shards of broken rainbow painted by the sun. Lush trees and colorful flowers enveloped its mouth...it was paradise...something exotic.

After an hour, maybe because of luck, I have already caught a number of fish that could make a normal fisherman happy. Packing my things and bringing them with me inside the truck, I whistled as I started the engine...everything seemed so perfect...I couldn't ask for more.

However, that was also the dreadful day I become known to a certain fact: for every happiness, there is an equal sorrow. Those words hit me directly on the face...directly on the face.

It didn't take long, when I saw smoke rising to the skies. The black unruly shaft, raised itself up, making my heart beat in an abnormal speed. I kicked the accelerator, my mind thinking the unthinkable, I just couldn't help it. My chest was heaving breaths of pain, and I realized this wasn't a dream. Dreams don't cause physical pain, do they? They just hurt you psychologically...

I drove in a crazy speed, the trees running away like it. When I reached the town gates, I froze, almost forgetting to kick the breaks...there were no gates...left.

Myecon was burning...and bodies piled up, scattered in different places. Bloodspill, dirty footsteps, black burning wood...crimson fire...all that my mind could muster. I ran to our house, the road quite different for the landmarks were brutally destroyed. Some people still ran, apparently because they felt now was the chance to escape, but I didn't care. My family, they were still there!!! I know it! I could feel it!!! I made my way through the commotion, dodging falling houses, evading the huge fire... when I stopped near our house, I gasped...the door was flung open...Noei laid on the doorstep...bathing with her own blood. My mind screamed...I wanted to cry, but nothing. I entered the burning house after taking Noei away, her blood soaking my shirt. I ran, my boots crashing the wooden floor, I heard a scream, coming from the backyard. I ran again, reaching for the back door, it busted open...just as the same time Shuuin fell on the floor...above Father. Dead.

I stared. They were gone. I'm alone again.

The murderer smiled, holding a huge spear dripping with blood. He saw me, and raised the weapon for attacking position. My eyes fell on the ground...a shiny weapon lay, probably, it was Father's for his hand was directed its way. I didn't think twice...snatching it on the floor, I held the heavy half sword, half gun on my hand, swinging it without effort. Clinging of metals, screaming of weapons came, I felt none of myself...I felt fire, consuming fire of hatred claiming my body. And well last, when I gained my chance, I killed him, his black blood spurting on me...on my face. I didn't look back, or close my eyes, I just looked at him...

I killed someone...

But how? Have I killed people before? Have I done this, this gruesome activity that boosted something in me? I didn't know...I just didn't know!!! I had no recollection of my past!!!

The next thing I knew, I was running...running so fast; the dripping weapon still on my grasps. I fled, crossed seas, towns, forests, mountains...I didn't care...I just wanted to run...

Now, I'm in a new world...I'm once again, starting to feel contented...

No...

Not Rinoa...

Please Hyne...

Not her...


Author's Notes: Woo-hooooo!!!! Chapter Three here!!! Four, even more exciting!!! I promise you guys, you won't regret reading this!!!! I'm just so full of ideas now!!! R&R!!! Love 'ya all!!!