Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Tipa Caravan Year 1 ❯ Beginnings ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All races, items and places etc. belong to whoever created this wonderful game. I just made the characters with their various back histories to write with. ^_^ I do hope you enjoy the story. I'm only gonna write the disclaimer this one time!

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Tipa Caravan

Written by the Lilty Warrior

PROLOGUE

"O keepers of the crystal,
Thy memories to the light shall flow,

Forgotten jewels that lose their glow.

In time they shall return anew,

To be gathered like drops of dew.

Journey forth!

Seek the water of life."

Long ago the world was a paradise and people could travel freely. Those days are gone now - for the world is now covered in a poisonous mist. The miasma. The only form of defense against this mist is the crystals. These sparkling jewels reside in every town and every village as protection - but with a price. The power of the crystals wane over time - and so every year groups of people from every village known as Crystal Caravans travel out into the world in search of myrrh.

Myrrh - also known as the water of life - sustains the crystals for yet another year so that they continue to keep the miasma at bay. Myrrh can be found from myrrh trees - and Caravanners collect the substance and need only three drops of it to sustain their village crystals. Unfortunately, it takes a tree two years to regenerate myrrh to be harvested again. Caravans have to journey farther and farther still in order to find trees to harvest. Travel is restricted from place to place to these Caravans - for they possess a Crystal Chalice. Not only does it serve as a vessel to collect myrrh, but the crystal shard protects the wandering travellers from miasma.

Some people - a rare few - believe that even though the restrictions of the miasma is a curse apon the world, there is also a hope. Tribes that didn't usually associate with one another are now suddenly brought together to save their homes. Friendships between peoples are cultivated - shakily though sometimes it may be. Some have the hopes that once the tribes would be able to work together - that an answer to where the miasma came from and how to stop it would arise...so that the world could be a paradise once again without the threat of monsters and vile creatures at every turn.

The gentlest tribe, the Clavats - are the most ordinary. Farmers, ranchers - they prefer the peace of working the land. Not usually branded as fighters - some Clavat Caravans are underestimated. Out of all the tribes they seem to be the most open and tolerant - always ready with a smile and a home cooked meal. They have the strength of the heart, with a simple honesty that most people welcome.

Then on the other side of the spectrum - there is the Selkies. Similar to the Clavats though without the good reputation. This tribe is usually associated with thieves, brigands and charlatans and a lot of people don't trust them. Many Selkies don't have a lot of trust for the other tribes either, and prefer to rely only on themselves. They are good fighters, fast on their feet and agile. When a true friendship is formed with a Selkie - the bond never breaks.

The Yukes are a mysterious, intellectual and a private tribe. Not a lot is known about them. Most people have never seen their faces for the bird-like race wear helmets that cover their heads. This race is not warrior-like at all. They would rather study about the world around them and learn magical practices. Out of all the tribes - this odd looking people are more adept at magic rather than physical prowess. To have a Yuke in your Caravan was to have strong support for the others as well as a good healer.

Then finally - the Lilties. This small child-like race is not to be underestimated. They are the strongest warriors in the land - and their determination and endurance is the most out of all the tribes. This race is known for mining, weapon and armor smithing - as well as a knack for the merchant lifestyle. They are a hot tempered and honorable people with a warrior's pride. In a Caravan they are the front line fighters and they don't go down easy.

It is a long and dangerous responsibility to be part of a Crystal Caravan. The weight of the lives of an entire village rests apon their shoulders. To some - this burden is too much to bear...but to others it is a way of life. This tale chronicles the journey of one such Caravan. It speaks of the victories and defeats, the joys and hardships of a group of villagers that set out every year in search of myrrh. It holds the hopes and wishes of their hearts and tells how they all grow together and work together to save their homes and their world.

Read on...for the journey is about to begin.........