Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy: The chronicles of Four! ❯ The Castle of Ordeals... and death for one. ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry for the lateness, I've been playing Morrowind! Anyway, Tears of Light, I'm sorry I had to say something. Yes, I've played almost every FF game ever created. Gameorama91, I can only say that my team was the best I ever experimented with. But be careful in the beginning, the Red Mage died the most for me. Anyway, I don't own FF or 8-bit!
 
---
 
Without breakfast, construction wasn't going well for the town of Cherry. So far, Auron kept chopping wood over three inches too short, a tile hit Firion straight on the head, and Leon kept using blitzes on everything he saw move.
 
“NO! You can't do that!” Sabin yelled, “That is not the way to use an Aura Bolt!” Unfortunately, Sabin was about five seconds too late. Leon, in his haste to make more wood, blasted down a grove of trees with a bolt of energy from his fist, reducing the grove to a mere pile of ash.
 
“Why art thou teaching thy comrades blitzes?” Cyan said, coming up. Sabin turned around and nearly hugged Cyan.
 
“Buddy! Where have you been!?” Sabin asked, and then returned the old man's point, “I'm teaching them my awesome fighting moves so we don't need to rely on puny swords to do the work. They'll most probably break and kill us.” Cyan drew his sword and leaned on it.
 
“Thou art getting such an idea backwards.” He said in his English tone, “It is thy sword which can cut the mightiest woods, not thy fist.” He turned to Firion and Cecil, as they both held swords.
 
“Yeah. I mean, what would be the point of making swords if our fists were better?” Cecil asked. Black Belt walked up crossly, intent on stopping the small debate.
 
“Okay, look. I don't know who you are, but you're not on registration.” Black Belt said, “And the sign clearly states that you have to be registered to help us out.” Sabin put up a hand in silent relaxation.
 
“It's cool! Cyan is one of the strongest people I know!” Sabin said. Black Belt looked over Cyan carefully.
 
“Well, he does look strong. But are you willing to work for hours without food until Fighter comes back?” Black Belt asked.
 
“In Doma, I LIVED without food. It shalt not be a problem.” Cyan replied.
 
“Okay, he's in.” Black Belt agreed, and walked Cyan to the group, “Guys, this is Cyan, and he's come to help us. Now, I know we haven't really done much since we began, but hopefully he can get us moving. Let's go!” And with that, everyone began to work again.
 
---
 
Meanwhile, our four heroes rushed out of the volcano as Kary led them out. The ground had begun to rumble angrily as they left the Crystal room, so Kary was forced to carry the four through the rising currents of lava. Finally, the volcano erupted right as they got outside. Without even thinking, Kary jumped into the water and the group was washed a short distance until they hit another small island.
 
“Is everyone okay?” Thief asked as Red Mage spat out some water. Black Mage nodded and wrung out his hat. Red Mage wasn't choking, so Thief assumed he was fine. But White Mage was worried about Kary.
 
“I don't think she's okay.” White Mage told Red Mage as he went to look, “She jumped straight into the water...” Kary had kept her red coloring, but the fire around her had been drowned out, and her snake-like tail and arms were withering.
 
“I don't get why she'd do that.” Black Mage said, “I mean, she just committed suicide! Is she stupid!?” Red Mage had knelt down and was checking Kary's pulse.
 
“She was trying to help us...” he replied sadly, “She may not have been human, but she wasn't a monster. Now she's dead...” Thief picked up a stick and poked at Kary. She didn't even twitch. Tears slowly fell down White Mage's eyes until Thief got an idea.
 
“Wait, remember what the Fires said? Kary lives in fire, so what if casting Fire spells revives her?” Thief suggested. Black Mage didn't seem to care too much, but the other two perked up at the suggestion.
 
“That... that might just work!” Red Mage exclaimed, “But I alone don't have enough power to save her. BM, we need your help.” Black Mage turned around sharply, and his reply was not a happy one.
 
“What?! Revive her? You've got to be kidding. RM, she's a fiend!” Black Mage yelled. Red Mage looked down, but he was not giving up. After a few moments of his silent contemplation, Black Mage thought he'd won until Red Mage spoke up.
 
“She saved our lives. She agreed to help us. Without her, we'd be smears on her walls. We owe her our lives, so the least we can do is save hers.” Red Mage growled calmly, but nonetheless angrily. White Mage and Thief shivered at the intensity of Red Mage's voice, and even Black Mage was a bit impressed with him. Without another question, Black Mage stood next to Red Mage and the two began to cast Fire3.
 
“FIRE3!” They both yelled at the same time. Two large fires immediately encased Kary, and then died out a few minutes later. Patiently, the four waited. But she didn't move.
 
“Did it work?” Thief asked. Red Mage slowly crept closer to Kary, and she opened her eyes. Slowly, she sat up and looked at the four, untangling her wild hair.
 
“Not exactly a great swim, was it?” she asked, as her tail and arms began to stretch, as if testing their life force. White Mage giggled, but Black Mage just glared at her.
 
“You killed yourself! You're lucky RM was so merciful! Because of him, we just broke the biggest law of heroism!” Black Mage screeched, but Kary paid him no attention. Instead, she listened as Red Mage thanked her for what she did.
 
“It was nothing.” She told them all, “But now we must hurry. There are a lot of things you still have to do before we can even attempt to find Kraken, the next fiend.” White Mage, who'd been paying attention the most, tilted her head.
 
“What kind of things? Is it hard to get to him?” White Mage asked. Kary nodded grimly.
 
“I'll explain once we get to the sea. Thief, once we're on there, you'll need to sail Southwest for a bit. I'll tell you when to stop.” Kary said, and they went to get onto the canoe. The lava that gushed out from the volcano opened a shortcut straight to the docks, so Thief took that path and soon everyone was sailing peacefully on the sea.
 
“Okay, Kary. We're on sea, so start squawking.” Black Mage said. Kary, who'd been staring at the sea, sighed and sat down.
 
“Okay... well, Kraken set a barrier in his lair that doesn't let weaker warriors in. So, we need to give you all more power. Has anyone heard of Bahamut?” Kary asked. Red Mage was the one to pay attention this time.
 
“I have. But isn't he just a legend?” Red Mage asked.
 
“No, he's all too real.” Kary explained, “And he'll be the one to grant your power. But in order to see him, we have to go to the Castle of Ordeals and get the Rat's tail.” White Mage raised an eyebrow in disbelief, and Black Mage laughed so hard that he fell to the floor.
 
“A Rat tail!? You actually expect us to find a Rat tail!?” he laughed, rolling around, “What NONSENSE! Look, lady, you may be over 200 years old, but we're not so stupid as to go on a wild goosechase for a Rat tail!” Black Mage continued to cackle as Thief walked down from the steering wheel.
 
“For that matter, can't we just use any rat's tail? Why do we have to go to a castle to get it?” he asked, “I mean, there are rats everywhere, aren't there?”
 
“Yes, but the tail we need is from the Dire Scat Rat.” Kary explained, “It is a legendary rat who could cause any disease with a bite of its fangs.” Black Mage had stopped laughing and was now sulking.
 
“Then why not go for its fangs?” he asked, “Think of the power we'd wield!” Kary turned to him sharply, and her gaze made him shiver.
 
“Because, no one should wield such a dangerous power!” Kary hissed angrily, “Bahamut needs the tail, as it supplies the antidote to every disease known to man, monster, dragon, and fiend. Without it, the spread of Noxus and Carlipuss could wipe us all out!” White Mage looked into the murky seawater thoughtfully.
 
“The Elders of the White clan told me about those diseases... They've already dwindled down the Dwarves to a mere population of 500. And according to my uncle's last reports, it'll spread to Lufeinia next.” White Mage added sadly, clutching her robes. Black Mage blinked.
 
“But... that's where we come from.” Black Mage said absentmindedly, “All right, we don't have much choice anymore. We need that Rat Tail. Thief, keep driving!” With that, Thief returned to the steering wheel. Unfortunately, the ship came to a halt quickly.
 
“Thief, what's wrong?” Red Mage asked, as he was thrown slightly forward from the jerk of the ship. Thief looked over the railing, very confused.
 
“I don't know! Something's jamming the ship! It isn't budging.” Thief called back, trying to move the ship forward. But all he did was make a huge Ochu very angry. It lurched onto the ship and roared violently.
 
“Holy crap! RM, what is that thing!?” Black Mage screamed. Red Mage shivered and his voice shook as he talked.
 
“T-that's an Ochu... one of the most feared sea creatures to exist...” Red Mage said, “Even worse, it's stronger than the Red Ochus near Gurgu.” White Mage gave a yelp as she listened to the Ochu screech with anger, and Kary slithered forward, six swords drawn.
 
“I'll handle this. Thief, the ship should be freed, so keep steering!” Kary commanded. Thief obeyed at lightning speed, but it wasn't for the better. Both Kary and the Ochu swayed as the ship moved, making it hard for either to hit each other. But finally, one of Kary's strikes made its mark.
 
“Flaming Tongue of the Lizards!” Kary yelled, and her sword flared up, searing the Ochu and sending it flying into the sea. Everyone cheered happily as Kary sheathed all of her swords and wiped her forehead.
 
“Whoa! That was absolutely amazing!” Red Mage exclaimed, “I've never even heard of your attack let alone see it in action!”
 
“If Fighter were here, he'd be in love.” Black Mage commented. Kary laughed at the remark.
 
“Thanks, but it was nothing.” she said, “We really need to focus on the castle.” But Thief had just docked the ship as she said this. White Mage, Black Mage, and Thief hopped out of the ship, and with Red Mage's help, Kary joined them. Together, they walked through the rotten docks and through the rusted gates into a very old castle.
 
“Does anyone live here?” White Mage asked, as she tiptoed inside.
 
“They did at some point, but I doubt they do now.” Kary replied, examining a dusty couch. Thief touched an old picture, and it fell off the wall and shattered all over the floor.
 
“If they did, they'd have to either be undead, or have nerves of steel to like this place...” Thief whispered, inching away from the picture. Black Mage walked to the center of what could have been a living room and looked around. There were hallways upon hallways they could go, but it was probably agreed that no one, not even Kary, wanted to be here. Black Mage looked at the fire fiend.
 
“Okay, we're in. Now take us to the Rat's tail so we can move on and not get any kind of sickness here.” Black Mage demanded. Kary looked nervous as she turned to find any signs of a floor map. Thankfully someone left a note.
 
“What's it say?” Thief asked, looking over Kary's shoulder.
 
“It says `Though many paths exist, only one will choose your fate. Use the pillars.” Kary repeated, “I wonder what that could possibly mean...” Red Mage walked over to the first pillar he saw and looked at it carefully.
 
“Maybe there's some kind of key to them or something...” he said to himself, touching the pillar, “WHOA!!” Suddenly, Red Mage disappeared. The other four rushed to where he stood, completely in panic.
 
“Red Mage!? Where did you go!?” White Mage called, frantically. Unfortunately, she didn't get a reply. Thief looked around the other side of the pillar for any signs of him, but nothing was there. Cautiously, Kary touched the pillar and disappeared too.
 
“W-where'd she go!?” Thief asked. A minute later, Kary reappeared, looking relieved.
 
“Red Mage was right. These pillars are some kind of teleportation device that warps us around the castle. I think we can use them and we'll get to the Tail.” she explained, and disappeared again.
 
“Huh... so there's a first for everything, I suppose.” Black Mage said, as he, White Mage, and Thief stepped into the pillar, only to appear beside Kary and Red Mage two seconds later.
 
“Now what way?” Thief asked, as Kary thought about it. The first room was easier, there was only one pillar. But now they stood between four pillars, and no one knew where they led. Kary had to make a decision, so she carefully touched one and disappeared. Without thinking, the four touched it as well, and landed outside.
 
“Hey, how'd we get out here?” Thief asked, when he opened his eyes and took a look around.
 
“Obviously, this is a puzzle we have to get right.” Kary said, “I think if we step on the wrong pillar, we end up outside until we get the right one.” Black Mage kicked angrily at the ground.
 
“Well, that's just stupid! Look at this place! It's over ten stories high! Do you know how many pillars could be in there?” he asked. And he did have a point, something no one could deny. But, in a weird attempt to rally the group, Red Mage devised some reversed logic.
 
“What if we ARE going the right way, it's just that we don't know it?” he suggested.
 
“That's gotta be the most idiotic idea I've ever heard.” Black Mage replied, “Think about this. If we are hypothetically going the right way, where are the other pillars? RM, your theory lacks logic in almost every sense... wait, YOU lack logic in almost every sense. I say we just go back and get to that room again.” With that, Black Mage walked up the stone steps back into the castle, the others at his heels. It took quite a while to reach the top. The halls twisted and turned, and some of them even looped on each other. But eventually the group reached the top.
 
“Finally! Soon, the Rat Tail is gonna be ours!” Thief cheered happily, walking to the door. He failed to see a bone on the ground and cracked it to pieces, snapping Kary's attention immediately. She slithered to the bone and sniffed it.
 
“Thief, stop!” she yelled, “You're going to wake up the Zombie Dragon!” But she was too late. As Thief stepped past the second bone, a huge skeleton of a dragon emerged out of the floor and roared so loudly that the walls crumbled a little.
 
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING!?” Black Mage asked, as the five pressed against the wall.
 
“That's the Zombie Dragon, guardian of this castle.” Kary explained, “I've heard rumors of him, but I never thought he actually existed.” White Mage glanced over at Kary.
 
“So how do we beat it?” she asked, panicked. The dragon growled.
 
“You cannot do such a task.” he grumbled, “It is thy nature to die at the hands of dragons. Thou shalt have thought of thy danger before entering the castle.” Even Black Mage was slightly put off by the large beast. Kary stepped forward.
 
“I'm not sure what you'll do after this, but we need that tail. I'll fight him off, and you go get it.” Kary said.
 
“B-but Kary!” White Mage pleaded, but Kary didn't give her time to protest.
 
“Go!” Kary ordered, pushing the four ahead as she took out her swords. The warriors ran past the dragon as he advanced on Kary and closed the door in the Rat room. Black Mage walked up to the pillar and grabbed the large, but skinny Rat Tail off the pedestal.
 
“I got it. How's Kary doing?” he asked. But judging by the looks on both Red and White Mages' faces, it wasn't going well outside. He stood near the door and listened, hearing distinctly the conversation the dragon made.
 
“Kary, you are foolish to think you could stop me so easily.” the dragon growled softly, “Why would you help those you were forced to destroy?” Kary looked down sadly.
 
“I will not be used like a doll anymore. Those four are the chosen ones, and I will do what I can to set us all free of Chaos's control.” she replied, “And because I feel like helping.”
 
“Hmm, you are really doing this for yourself. Such a selfish cause. But it matters not, your motivation, for now I have no choice but to kill the fiend of Fire here and now.” the dragon grumbled, “You were raised on the bias of evil, to kill and slaughter without question. You've broken such rules, and I must put an end to you.” He took a lumbering step forward, but Kary looked completely unfazed.
 
“And you're a fool thinking I won't try anything to stop you.” Kary replied, and with a flick of her arms, imploded the entire room. The four warriors could feel the heat emitted from the door, and when it died down, didn't hesitate to rush through it. Kary laid on the ground, her arms in a heap and her skin pale.
 
“Kary!!” Red Mage screamed, and ran to her side and knelt down. She looked at him and smiled weakly. She didn't look like she'd survive.
 
“I'm sorry, everyone... our adventures together are going to be cut short. I will not survive from my own attack...” she said slowly, although her smile didn't fade.
 
“Kary...” Tears formed in White Mage's eyes. With another hand, Kary held White Mage's hands.
 
“Listen... now you must go to the Ice Cavern and get the Floater for the ancient airship... that'll get you to Cardia Islands, where Bahamut awaits you all...” she explained, “Go to Crescent and ask the people about it. I'm sure the sages know something...” With that, Kary closed her eyes and didn't open them again. Red Mage felt her pulse die down.
 
“Kary? Kary!? KARY!!” White Mage cried, and hugged Red Mage, “Kary... she's dead. Why!? Why did she have to die!?” Even Black Mage was upset with the loss of a friend. But he had to be the one to start the adventures again.
 
“I know it's sad, but we can't stay here moping about it. Kary wouldn't want that.” he said, “She told us where to go so we could fulfill her wish. To kill Chaos. So, if we have any love for her, despite her being a fiend, we should fulfill that wish and hightail it to Crescent.” Red Mage dried his tears and stood up, a serious look carved on his face.
 
“BM is right. It's the least we can do for what Kary's done for us.” he said, “Let's go to Crescent now. We may be leaving her body, but her memory will be carved in our brains for quite some time.” With that, he led his friends towards a “wrong” pillar and teleported outside. The four strolled across the fields, with more determination than ever.
 
“Kary, your wish WILL be carried out!”
 
---
 
Oh no! The heroes lost their best ally! But now they must hurry if they want to obtain their new powers. Do the sages in Crescent know anything? Is the Floater still in the Ice Cavern? Is Bahamut waiting? And what about the progress in Cherry Town? Find out the answers to these questions next chapter, so click that Review button!