Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy: The First Advent ❯ The Train to Narsche ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
<HMTL>
<TITLE></TITLE>
<BODY>

<P>The train streaked through the snowstorm, traveling down tracks that were safely contained in tubes of steel and heavily reinforced glass. From her window in the third passenger car, Valeria could look out and see the heavy white mess swirling around with the occasional steel piling going by to interrupt it. She was bored out of her mind, wondering just how long until she was safely inside Narsche, the great mining Seed that lied at the base of a mountain range.

<P>Across from her seat, not more than two or three feet away, was her assistant, Anita. The young girl stirred in her seat, fidgeting every which way with anticipation. She would occasionally look up at Valeria and sigh, scoot towards the isle and look both ways, then back to her window to look out of it. It was amazing just how opposite their moods were; Anita was going stir crazy, Valeria was loathing it. However, at the same time, they were similar in that they both wanted to get it over with as soon as possible.

<P>On the other side of the aisle were two men in similar uniforms; plain brown pants and long-sleeve coats, buttoned all the way up, and black boots. One had his head behind a newspaper while the other was fast asleep. The sleeping man was pudgier and had a double chin, a short mess of curly blonde hair on his head; a humorous contrast to his same-uniformed companion who was quite lanky instead.

<P>"Wedge, just how much longer do you plan to sleep?" Valeria asked the stout fellow, cocking an eyebrow.

<P>"Depends, Val', just how much longer do we have until I have to get off the train?" Wedge replied, opening one of his eyes and smirking.

<P>"Not even asleep, huh? Antsy like Anita here?" Valeria said, replying with a smile.

<P>"I'm anxious, just not climbing the walls," Wedge said, shrugging with one elbow.

<P>"Hey, wait a minute," Anita said, snapping out of the trance the window beside her had her in. "Are you two picking on me again?"

<P>"Not at all, they're just talking to calm their....anxious hearts," the man behind the newspaper said, slowly dropping it and folding it in his lap. He had a long face and short, black hair.

<P>"Biggs, about time you join the conversation," Valeria said, moving her white heeled boots up to the end of the seat and scooting back against the side to get her legs up. She was dressed in a long, white winter coat, thick green pants underneath, and her blonde hair was gathered up into a bun for when she'd don her cap later.

<P>"And with one of your moronic metaphors to boot," Anita chimed in, pushing her small, frameless glasses back up her nose. She wore a green turtle-neck and blue pants with black boots, keeping fashionable with her long black hair.

<P>"Ah, but that's the magic of it. If I hadn't made such a grand verbal entrance, then I wouldn't have commanded so much attention if not even for-" Biggs began to say in an intellectual tone.

<P>"Biggs, put a sock in it. Sheesh," Wedge interrupted, then shut his eyes and yawned, settling down for another round of snoozing.

<P>"Tasteless oaf. The art of conversation is age-old, you know," Biggs replied, folding his arms. "Oh, rot in your base instincts and barely formed motor skills, I'm going to do the crossword," he added, then took a pen out of his pocket and proceeded to do the crossword.

<P>"How did we get stuck with these two anyway?" Anita whispered to Valeria.

<P>"I have absolutely no idea. Boris must have a strange sense of humor pairing those two as partners," Valeria replied frankly, shrugging.

<P>"Val', why do you think we were sent out on such short notice?" Anita inquired, curious as a schoolgirl despite her seventeen years of age.

<P>"Because this discovery could be the hottest thing that's come up in ages. Everyone is suppose to be sending people up here to have a peek," Valeria explained while looking out the window.

<P>"And what could possibly be so important?" Anita asked, hands at her hips.

<P>Valeria turned her head back to Anita. "How's the discovery of an Esper sound?" Valeria replied, smirking.

<P>Anita's eyes widened.

<P>"My thoughts exactly. It's in the back of a new mining shaft, completely encased in ice. Nobody's touched it, but the Seed's security force has kept it under strict guard until reasearchers arrive," Valeria continued to explain as she looked out the window again.

<P>"But what if it breaks out or something? How do they know it will stay dormant?" Anita inquired.

<P>"That's just it, nobody really knows. We're taking a chance with our lives, let alone taking a chance that this might be a hoax," Valeria said, sighing. "One can only hope we'll get some information on it. The more we learn about Espers, the more we can prove whether or not the old legends are telling the truth. And if they are, we have to work to destroy them. Nobody should be allowed access to that kind of power."

<P>"I guess so," Anita said, scratching the side of her head.

<P>"Trust me, Anita, Espers could very well be the cruel joke the planet is playing on humanity for being the way it is. We have to make sure that we help to preserve our race from such intoxicating power," Valeria said, sitting upright with her feet on the floor.

<P>"Might they just be misunderstood? Perhaps they were just used?" Anita asked, sympathetic.

<P>"Who really knows?" Valeria said with a sigh and a shrug. "Besides, what's the point in asking? Not like anyone would listen to something as foolish as Esper exoneration."

<P>Anita yawned. "Yeah, who cares? Let's just get this over with."

<P>"That's the spirit," Valeria said, nodding. "No use digging around in the past. Espers, what a crock full of it."

<CENTER><P>-----------------------------</P></CENTE R>

<P><I>Why did I come this way anyway? What was the point?</I>

<P>"Um, sir?"

<P><I>I really need to get in touch with my goals. I can't even remember how I got here....</I>

<P>"Sir!"

<P>"What?" he shouted as he suddenly sat upright in his booth.

<P>"Sir, you can't sleep here in the dining car," the waitress beside his table said.

<P>"Then can I order food and eat it here? I probably nodded off because you take so long to serve," he said, quite annoyed with her.

<P>"I apologize, sir, I was just going to say that if you were tired to go back to your seat or cabin to nap and leave this table open," the waitress said, folding her arms.

<P>"Well, I'm not going to nap now, I want to order some food," he said, snatching a menu from under her arm.

<P>"Then I'll be back to take your order," the waitress said, responding with a note of irritation before walking away.

<P>He sighed and glanced across the menu. He had lied; nothing really seemed that appealing. A sandwich would be good enough in order to satisfy that annoying waitress, but he was really more thirsty than hungry. He licked his lips and smiled, thinking about getting his hands on a nice chicken sandwich and a tall glass of soda or something of the like.

<P>"You certainly choose well, Kirk, my boy," he said, referring to himself, while putting down the menu. His full name was "Kirkis", as in "Kirkis Helseth", and he wasn't much of a boy. He had the build of a guy in his early twenties, seeing as he was twenty-four years in age, shoulder-length dark brown hair, and the complete lack of employment to match his age. He wore a long-sleeved dark blue robe, tied and knotted at the waist with a belt of the same fabric, black pants, and black boots. Resting upright in the seat beside him was his katana sword, his "personal protection policy" and "perfect persuasion peripheral" (he loved consonance in his nicknames for things); the handle gray and the sheath black.

<P>He sighed and sunk low in his seat, staring at the empty seat across from his. He had nodded off again, definately the result of having lost so much sleep lately. He wasn't entirely sure what it was, but something was eating at him lately and he just had to get away. So he took what meager savings he could get and departed from the Figaro Seed and ended up on a train heading northward for Narsche's Seed. His boss back in the shop in town was fine with it; more than likely he even took some time off himself and just closed the place down. Kirkis knew the time off would help; working full-time with nothing really to do outside of work really sucked. Plus, he always wanted to see more of the world, so the change of scene might just be what he needed.

<P>"Your order, sir?" the waitress asked as she returned, a pad flipped out in one hand and a pencil in the other.

<P>"Chicken, provolone, and some cheddar on white. Glass of pop on the side," Kirkis said, looking up at the waitress with a small smile.

<P>"Coming right up," the waitress said, hurrying off.

<P>"That's what I like to see! Some hussle in food service every once in a while!" Kirkis said, chuckling a little.

<P>Just then, a stout fellow in a brown suit and hat walked down the aisle. He passed Kirkis, then stopped and walked back, looking Kirkis over once.

<P>"Can I...help you?" Kirkis asked, raising an eyebrow.

<P>"You a sword-for-hire?" the man asked.

<P>"If the money says so," Kirkis replied, not afraid to moonlight a little on his time off.

<P>"Oh, really? How's two thousand Gil sound?" the man said with a smile as he sat in the chair across the table of the booth.

<P>"I'd say the money isn't talking very loudly," Kirkis said, rolling his eyes.

<P>"Alright, five thousand. I just need you to do something for me real quick, that's all," the man said, shrugging and then reaching in his coat.

<P>"And what would that be?" Kirkis asked, curious.

<P>"Just have to knock off some of my competition for me," the man replied with a smirk, digging out a few pieces of Gil and shoving them across the table to Kirkis.

<P>"What's that mean? What are you competing for?" Kirkis continued to ask.

<P>"To get to an Esper, that's what. Every damn Philosopher on the face of the planet is sending their people up here to see it, but what I got the inside scoop and I'm going to get it all for myself," the man said, smiling. He was obviously middle-aged by the wrinkles and thin white beard.

<P>"An Esper, huh? I'll believe it when I see it. Still, if you want a few people out of your hair, that's fine so long as the money comes," Kirkis said, folding his arms.

<P>"Don't you know? The Espers are coming back. They want to find masters and hosts and repeat the tradgedy as told in legend!" the man cried out.

<P>"You believe those old fairy tales? Come on, don't tell me you're getting senile, mister-...what's your name?" Kirkis said, raising an eyebrow.

<P>"My name is Hamru, you can just call me 'Mister Hamru'," the man replied, smiling as he extended his hand.

<P>"Kirkis. Just call me 'Kirk'," Kirkis replied and shook Hamru's hand.

<P>Hamru's smile seemed to broaden as he shook Kirkis' hand. "Yes, yes, I see. I can tell this is going to be a good business relationship."

<P>"If you say so, pops," Kirkis said, shrugging with his arms folded. Just then, the waitress returned with his sandwich and soda. "Why thank you! That was some of the best service ever. My compliments and deepest appreciation," he said, giving her a cheesey smile.

<P>"A good business relationship indeed," Hamru said, folding his hands in front of himself.

<CENTER><P>-----------------------------</P></CENTE R>

<P>Their blades crossed, resounding a metallic clang as well as a twinge through both of their grips. Edward pulled back and let his opponent pass, taking the oppurtunity to swing for his opponent's backside. His adversary then spun around and blocked the incoming blow, ducking under it and doing an upward cut at Edward. Edward staggered aside of it and opened the gap between them, planning his next move.

<P>"Oh, would you two quit play-fighting? I swear, every time we come here, you absolutely have to spar, don't you?" the old man said from the balcony, looking over it at the hall below where Edward and his opponent were fighting.

<P>"Rab, let's take a break, alright?" Edward commanded, sheathing his sword. "And Cid, I'd appreaciate it if you didn't interrupt."

<P>"Cid this, Cid that, you can't boss around your elder, young man," Cid, the old man up on the balcony said in a nagging tone as he walked around the library just inside the balcony.

<P>"Ed, come on, we were just getting started," Rab begged, sheating his blade as well.

<P>"Cid just reminded me that I wanted to ask him something, just go relax in the parlor until I get done, okay?" Edward suggested, then leapt effortlessly up to the balcony, an entire building story in height. He landed on the railing and dropped off it, strutting inside the library.

<P>"Show-off," Rab said, shaking his head. He grabbed his black cape and threw it around and over himself, covering his royal-blue armor-clad self as his black boots strided across the brick floor. He tossed his long, raven-black hair behind his back as he walked out the door.

<P>"Still flaunting your Philosopher powers, huh?" Cid said as he dropped a large book on a table in between aisles of the library and put on a pair of reading glasses.

<P>"That's what they're there for, right?" Edward replied, cracking his neck and letting his ponytail and long bangs of blonde hair toss about. He carried himself with a bit of attitude, somehow making the classic uniform of blue and green armor with a black cape look like a fashion statement instead of the garb of a feared Philosopher.

<P>"A wise man once said that the sly eagle hides his claws. You, my boy, can't stop showing them off," Cid replied, shaking his head. The old Philosopher had a plume of white down for hair as well as a rather plain black robe and mantle.

<P>"Cid, you're such a killjoy. Always nagging me, aren't you?" Edward said, sighing and lowering his head.

<P>"Edward, you're a leader of an entire Seed. It would be prudent to show a little more concern for doing your job instead of just hopping around like a crazed rabbit," Cid said, rolling his eyes.

<P>"I'm still a leader, alright? I can manage this Seed just fine, thank you," Edward said sternly as he took a few steps towards one of the bookcases to his left.

<P>"Edward Figaro, surely you jest! I've seen your father do a much better job in his time and I'm surprised that it-" Cid began to reprimand.

<P>"-didn't get passed down in the gene pool. Yes, I know, Cid, you tell me that every time. I'd rather not have you repeat yourself when I know that things are going just fine," Edward continued for him.

<P>Cid sighed, then looked up from his book to the young man. "Edward, just understand that the very lives of so many people are in the balance. I don't want to see you and your people end up like those morons over in the Dollet Seed."

<P>"That was bad luck on their part, getting run down on food and refusing to trade for more. I wouldn't be that pretentious," Edward resassured.

<P>"Good, just checking," Cid said, looking back down at his book.

<P>"Just trust me, Cid, I haven't screwed up anything yet. The Seed is going on just like it always was," Edward said, smiling.

<P>"I pray it will," Cid replied.

<P>Edward sighed again and walked closer to Cid. "Hey, I had something I wanted to ask."

<P>"And what would that be?"

<P>"Do you know what they're going to do with that Esper up in Narsche Seed?" Edward asked plainly.

<P>Cid looked up at Edward and cocked an eyebrow. "They don't even know if it's one yet, boy, give it some time. I trust you sent a representative up there, right?"

<P>"Well, not yet," Edward said, like he was trying to pass off a white lie to his suspicious parents.

<P>"Oy," Cid said, shaking his head. "Alright, I'll bail you out again and lend you all the information my people collect, alright? Just keep informed next time, okay?"

<P>"Thanks," Edward said, looking sad. "Really, I'm sorry, Cid, you've been doing so many favors for me lately and I can't pay them back right now."

<P>"Nevermind it, boy, I'm getting to an age where all I really can do is give out and don't have much use for taking anything in," Cid replied, closing his book. "Do you mind if I borrow this? It has the exact schematic I need."

<P>"Sure, go ahead," Edward replied. "Looking to finish yet another vehicle?"

<P>"I finished the 'mostly' all-terrain buggy plans and already sent away for a few to be produced. I'm currently just looking for a new design idea," Cid explained, picking up the book and holding it under his right arm.

<P>"It won't be long before all the Seeds can get to one another, huh? I can't imagine what it'd be like being even less isolated from one another. We're bound to start mixing cultures even more so now than ever before," Edward said, leaning his back against one of the bookcases.

<P>"I'm rather anxious myself. I can't wait to see where this will lead us from here on out. No longer will we have to fear the elements or the whimsicle storms that rage across the planet," Cid said, grinning. "But I'm afraid I must be off. I bid you farewell, Edward."

<P>"Leaving so soon? Well, I guess it is important to get back to work, huh?" Edward said, standing upright. "Oh well, I'll see whenever you feel like returning again, Cid. Farewell as well."

<P>Cid nodded and hurried down the aisle and out the doorway to the stairs. He went back to the first floor and knocked on the door to the lounge. "Rab? We're leaving. Hurry up, now," he commanded loudly. "No good nephew of mine," he mumbled as he headed for the front door.

<P>"Coming, uncle!" Rab said, rushing out of the lounge and out the door behind Cid.

<P>Edward watched from the balcony and sucked his teeth. "Maybe this is the start of humanity's...rebirth, in a sense? With the climate becoming more moderate and Cid's inventions, we just might go back to the life we use to have in legend. Life outside the Seeds..." he said to himself, then hopped off the balcony and on to the floor of the hall, lost in thought as he headed towards the back of his mansion.

<CENTER><P>-----------------------------</P></CENTE R>

<P>A stewardess, clad like the rest in a blue long skirt and white blouse, walked down the aisle of the luxury car, knocking on each compartment door, letting the people inside know that they would soon be arriving in Narsche. She came up to the third one down and knocked a few times.

<P>"Please get all your things together, we'll be arriving shortly," she said into the door.

<P>There was no reply, unlike the others where at least someone acknowledged her statement. She had to make sure that the occupants were okay, so she reached down and turned the handle, slowly walking inside.

<P>A man sat with his legs propped up on the chairs opposite to his, reading a book. He was in a plain blue suit with no shirt on under his coat and the coat opened to reveal a bit of his chest. He had on a matching blue fadora hat on top of his short red hair and black boots on with a large metallic weapon laid across the seats beside him. It was shaped like an oversized machine rifle, but about as long as he was tall. He looked up at her with his gray eyes, giving an angry look. "Didn't anyone tell you not to barge in on people?"

<P>"But sir, I was just trying to tell you that we'll be arriving soon in Narsche and you didn't answer, so I came in," the stewardess said, half apologizing.

<P>"Oh, I'm sorry, I was probably just really engrossed in my book here," the passenger said, smiling at her.

<P>"That's quite alright, sir, I didn't mean to intrude. I'll be going now, so just remember to start gathering your things," the stewardess said, backing out the door.

<P>"I'll be sure to, and you, Miss," the passenger said, leaning in and squinting his eyes to read her nametag,"Ford, you keep up the good work. Also, I must say, your hair is exquisite. Where did you get such a lovely shade of....seafoam green and all that....curl?"

<P>The stewardess grinned happily. "Now that, is a secret, Mister," the stewardess replied, looking through the ticket stubs in her hand,"Game. Barts Game, now that is an exquisite name. Shall I pay you some compliments too?"

<P>"No, that's quite alright. But why don't you tell me your first name to go with your last one? You know mine, after all," Barts said, smirking.

<P>"Terra, that's my name," the stewardess said, smirking back as she reached up and patted her slightly curly locks of long seafoam hair. "And I'll be seeing you when you get off the train, Mister Game. Until then, I'll just consider this friendly conversation and not a poor attempt at hitting on me."

<P>"Ouch, shot down before I even took off," Barts said, holding his hands over his heart like he had been shot there.

<P>"Later," Terra said, shutting the door.

<P>"What a charming lady," Barts said, tucking his book inside his coat.

<P>Terra took a few steps away from Barts' cabin and sneered. "Damn, not that Game wacko. He'll ruin everything for everyone!" she said with her teeth gritted. "I'll have to keep an eye on him," she said over her shoulder, then put back on her fake stewardess smile and continued to inform the other passengers. She eventually arrived in the dining car, announcing for everyone to proceed back to their seats. An old man in a brown suit and a fellow in a blue robe were too busy talking to notice, however.

<P>"Sirs, please go back to your seats. We'll be arriving soon," Terra asked them politely.

<P>"We're there? About time," Hamru said, laughing happily. "Alright, Kirkis, I'll meet you on the platform, alright?"

<P>"Sounds good, Mister Hamru, I'll see you there," Kirkis replied, standing up from his booth. He then walked towards the back of the train where the cheaper seats were while Hamru headed for the front to a car with the private cabins.

<P>Terra then headed for the next car and made the announcement that they'd soon be arriving aloud so that all could hear. As she passed through the car, to her left, Valeria and Anita both groaned and gathered up their carry-ons while on the right, Biggs was trying to wake up Wedge.

<P>"About time," Valeria said, shaking her head.

<P>"You can say that again, Val'," Anita replied.

<P>Terra then walked into the divider between two cars and stopped, looking back at Valeria. It was her alright; Boris' researcher in the flesh. She smirked briefly and then resumed her job of informing the rest of the train. The train was arriving in Narsche's Seed now; everything and everyone was ready and in place for the gears of fate to set in motion...

</BODY>
</HTML>