Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VIII Twin Force ❯ Learning to fly ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N When it is bold italic, it's the inner thoughts of Squall when interacting with people.
When it is plain italic, Squall is thinking all alone.
 
 
*Chapter 2*
*Learning to fly*
 
 
Morning came swiftly, though hours were long. The sweet cool breeze entered the window along with the first rays of daylight, caressing Squall's face, awakening his senses so tender and smoothly. Barely had he slept last night, under the burden of the unpleasant accusations he had put on himself, from what it seemed to be the thousandth time. Hopelessness had become a state of his mind, his second nature. Enough! He couldn't take it anymore, nor do that forever. He was far from being a pathetic crybaby, he hated the thought of ending up as a pitiful weakling. It- had -to- stop- now!
This time it felt a bit different, this new wave of energy breathed into him. Was it for real, or was it just a trick of his mind? Maybe yes, maybe no, it didn't really matter. It was the first day of a new beginning. The path of the unknown awaited for him, calling his name in enticing whispers of a promising voice with a burning passion consuming his heart.
This idea of leaving had been spinning intensively through his head for a long time, so intriguing and liberating that he wanted no longer to waste more time.
He stretched his arms, got up from the bed and got dressed, thereafter headed towards the corridor outside his dormitory. While walking, students were greeting him, still they could only get a faint 'hello' coming out from his firm lips.
''How I hate to be called Mister.'' he cursed under his breath as he reached the main square and on to the elevator.
Squall always tried to keep distances from his students. The least thing he wanted in this world was to develop any bonds to them, knowing that presumably they might leave the Garden one day, and forget him. Furthermore, deep inside, he had known very well he would abandon this Garden in the end, he had just prolonged that day for whole years.
Maybe he had been weak all along, to have accepted the position of the instructor in the first place. Back then, he had hoped it would provide him with more formidable challenges. Till the announcement of Cid was made, informing that no more SeeD training would take place within this school, as the Gardens were finally in peace.
Instantly, Squall had felt as if deprived from oxygen, because fighting was his fuel, his whole purpose in life. A pure blood fighter without a sword is like a cat without it's claws...
Nonetheless he had stayed, because he had nowhere else to go.
Zell had a place to call home, in Balamb Town where his foster mother was. Selphie and Irvine were free souls that could fend for themselves. But he...
He was bound to belong to this Garden, the only place he could call his home. For Cid and Edea had treated him right and embraced him with the purest feelings of love, as if he was their own flesh and blood. They had been next to his side in the most critical moments of his entire life. Owing to them his devotion was the least he could do.
Whereas his true father had abandoned him before even he was born...
Laguna, who looked so sympathetic and charming to the eyes of everyone else, able to win the admiration and respect without even trying. Liar, fake, Squall could reason, but no one else.
Where was Laguna in the most crucial moments of his childhood? Where was Laguna when Raine, Squall's mother had died giving birth to him? Nowhere. At least, that's what Squall knew, thus had jumped into conclusions before learning the whole truth behind Laguna's disappearance.
It was inevitable that soon he would face him, and demand an explanation to all this nonsense,once he visited Esthar.
For he had no longing place to this Garden anymore, despite his love for the place. Apparently, he wasn't born to live without exciting and thrilling battles with fearsome monsters. It wasn't like him to forsake and suppress his instincts, how couldn't anyone see through that? So simple and clean it was.
 
Third floor, Headmaster's office. A place where few people had the privilege of entering without making an appointment first. Luckily enough, Squall was one of them.
Quistis was there, and to her greatest surprise she didn't expect him, of all the people, to find him here. Most of the times, she was too busy to see him at all. Almost strangers they had become, despite living in the same place. And Quistis could only glance at him whenever she was offered this unique opportunity, without having him notice that, to her distress. She was well aware of the fact that she had no chance to be with him, and partially she didn't mind for that, somehow she had accepted this undeniable truth without further complaints. Nonetheless, a logical reason could not be found as to why she still felt for him, being caught off guard by the thought of him intruding her mind, now and then, unexpectedly.
''Squall, you shouldn't be here. I can bring the teaching book into your classroom.'' she huffed, unable to keep the feelings of surprise for herself, as if watching a ghost. At the same time, she hadn't noticed the letter held into his hands as she had locked her eyes onto his own.
Squall seemed indifferent by her reaction, thereafter gave her a cold look and replied :
''I've got to see Headmaster and give him this.'' he pointed at the letter.
''Don't tell me...'' Quistis face darkened in worry and suspicion for what that letter meant. So, he was serious all the time about leaving the Garden, she could only assume in bitterness. However said nothing about it, just let him pass into the corridor and on to the Headmaster's office.
 
There was Cid, the man who once entrusted him the Garden, enabling him the full command of it. And there was Squall, his favourite SeeD member, the one who would take Cid's place one day as the new Headmaster, hadn't he turnt down his proposal.
Cid could see that coming, he was just thinking that this day wouldn't have arrived all that soon, as he was reading the resignation letter from Squall.
''Boy, I'm really sad to hear those words from you.'' Cid made a pause, and sighed before going on : ''Is there any problem with the students?''
''Nothing of great importance.'' Squall retorted icily, eyes downcast on the floor, reluctant to give further explanations. They both knew the true reason of his leaving, and some things were better left unspoken, when they were more than obvious.
''Then, I guess you really need to get know of your father.'' Cid assumed while turning his back from Squall. A wave of sadness washed over him, but it wasn't anger or jealousy towards Laguna. Cid only cared for Squall's well being. Then, he broke the silence between them, trying to joke a bit in his usual manner :
''You'll be like a king in Esthar, the greatest city around the world.''
(Who cares for Esthar or Laguna. I just want to live my way.) thought Squall inside his head, before listening to Cid's final words:
''Well, then. You can do as you wish. However, there's something to be taken into consideration. You're the best instructor here, and we have no one worthy of your talent to be offered your position. Would you mind waiting for a couple of days till we get a substitute?''
''So be it. I have no other choice, anyway.'' Squall had responded before he was dismissed from the office.
 
On the way to the classroom, Squall was overwhelmed by ambivalent feelings. On one hand he was relieved to have taken the first step into his freedom. On the other hand, he didn't want to let Cid down, the man to whom he owed more than just his gratitude. Although they've been keeping up appearances, their relationship was always equated with the one of a father and a child. Squall never tried to use Cid's trust to his advantage, and no way wanted he to make Cid feel betrayed by his resignation. Nevermore, nothing changed in Cid's feelings towards Squall. The offspring is always like the small cute birds, one day they learn to fly on their own and flee from the nest. Furthermore, Cid was well aware of the true reasons behind Squall's leaving, and thoroughly respected his ways. Consequently, it was unnecessary of him to open the sensitive topic of Rinoa.
 
Headmaster Cid called both girls, Xu and Quistis to discuss about the resignation of Squall.
''Dear Ladies. I regret to inform you that we're bound to lose the best instructor the Garden has ever met, a true Gunblade wielder, worthy of our admiration and respect. The loss will be consequent, but we have to find an instructor to stand in for him. Any ideas?'' he requested politely, hanging on the lips of the two girls.
''Seifer's equally talented, Sir.'' Xu recommended spontaneously.
''Skillful though he is, he's not a SeeD member. To make matters worse, he lacks self-discipline to pass on his knowledge to the students.'' Cid objected, thus the idea of Seifer becoming Squall's substitute was turnt down.
''Maybe if Galbadia Garden was informed, a solution could be found.'' Xu persisted in hopes of solving this issue as soon as possible. Then, Quistis was illuminated by a sudden thought.
''There is another Gunblade wielder, and you know that, Sir. Maybe with an exception to the rule...'' Quistis implied in a sudden brainstorm.
Cid could only sigh in bitterness at the recollection of the person mentioned by Quistis, who was interrupted.
''You can't be serious, Miss Trepe. She did not even become a SeeD member. This girl's rather insane. What makes you think she's ideal for this...occasion?''
''Maybe she had her own reasons for leaving the Garden without informing us.'' Quistis insisted on her proposal, agitating Cid's talkative mood.
''I will never understand Gillian, this is why I could not keep her and raise her as if she was my own daughter. Later came her sudden disappearance, like a ghost. She might do that again.'' he countered.
Yet Quistis kept on believing that this person had to be trusted, led purely by instinct. She had been her student, after all. And though she was one of the reasons Quistis lost her position, Quistis bore no grudge against her, nonetheless. To cut a long story short, Quistis managed to persuade Cid that Gillian might return to the Garden, and somewhat compensate for the SeeD title lost by working as an instructor.
Still, Cid bore no idea that Gillian was already on the way to the Garden with a different goal to achieve, and he would lose so much more other than his favourite SeeD member.
….......................................................... ........................................................................... .......................
 
Meanwhile, there was grave, unusual silence in the classroom where Squall was. Felt like he had been to the wrong class, indeed. No whispers could be heard by the students, despite them writing a test on their current progress about first aid. He was sitting on his desk, hand placed on his forehead, apparently bored and fed up as if time had frozen upon this particular hour.
Reading between the lines, he could easily tell that the rumour about his leaving had already been spread across the Garden. That was the actual reason no one spoke. Till one boy was brave enough to take the initiative :
''Sir, may I ask you something?''
''Sure you may.'' Squall replied in apathy.
''Is it true that you're leaving the Garden?''
Squall didn't want to speak about himself, he owed no explanation to anyone. Thereafter demanded that they should finish first their tests.
''So, it's true.'' the boy lowered his head and kept on writing, eyebrows furrowed.
Behind that boy, two more students were whispering :
''The less he talks, the more he says.'' said the one, named Jim.
''You're right. He's trying to hide behind his finger.'' the other added.
''Knowing what he thinks is easy as pie!'' Jim exclaimed in a teasing way, unable to keep a straight face. Then, the two boys burst into laughter, and got a warning by Squall. It seemed that only a single sentence coming out of his mouth was enough to bring the class into life again, and chaos ensued, as usual.
Fifteen minutes later, the time was up and the students had to give in their tests. Then Squall confirmed the rumours about his leaving the most laconic way possible. Nothing more, nothing less could be said straight from his mouth. He really wasn't the talkative person, after all.
There were various reactions by the students, every kind of expression could be read from their faces. Sadness, happiness, relief, anger, all too many different faces. Yet no one could deny his talent, and the fact that everyone would miss him. Frankly.
 
The class was dismissed, and Squall stayed lonesome in his desk, both hands placed on his jaw, wondering how come the students would miss him. It was odd of them to feel this way about him, he had done nothing to gain their liking towards him. Being an instructor was just a job, and socialising wasn't his strongest part.
Sceptical, absorbed in his own world, Squall was awakened by a friendly patting on his thick brown hair. It was Zell, his fellow comprade, holding his skateboard in one hand, wearing a big smile on his face.
''Hi pal! Why the long face?'' he exclaimed in his usual loud voice.
''I'm leaving shortly after I get a substitute.'' Squall replied after he had got up from his desk, then turnt his back. Sometimes, such a behaviour made him look like a stubborn child who got lectured by it's parents, simply because he knew Zell would overload him with nosy questions.
''Why are you leaving?'' Zell requested, as expected.
''I want to make a new start. I'm going on an adventure.'' Squall replied nonchalantly.
''Adventure? Then, take me with you, pal! I wanna kick some ass!'' Zell became enthusiastic, much to Squall's displeasure who said that he was about to pack his minor possesions for the days to come.
'' Hey! Won't you take me with you?'' Zell whined.
''I am the one who should forget, Zell. It's MY adventure.'' he stressed, though Zell did not seem to get it.
'' I'll come with you whatever you say! You'll need my strong and fierce punches against those stupid monsters!'' Zell persisted, and followed Squall to the way on his dormitory.
 
Judging from his appearance, Zell seemed like the flippant, non serious guy who wanted to play cool. However, he had always been at Squall's disposal, willing to lend him a hand whenever he could. To Zell, Squall was more than just a fellow candidate who gratuated with him from the SeeD school. In fact, he was the brother Zell never had, a friend as well as a precious companion in the battle against the evil sorceress, three years ago. And though Zell pursued his dream of becoming a skateboard champion, Squall was in no way erased from his memory. The same applied to Selphie, with whom he was meeting occasionally when travelling via train in various places so as to participate in local tournaments.
 
When the two men arrived at Squall's dormitory, Zell was curious to learn whether he had kept in touch with other members of their company.
''How's Quistis?'' he asked in such an intriguing voice.
''Just fine. Why's the question?'' Squall frowned.
''Just wondering if both of you...'' he was interrupted by Squall's unemotional reply.
''No way.''
'' You know, maybe you would feel better if you...'' he messed up, provoking Squall's fury.
''Snap out of it!!'' he snarled, then Zell tried to change the subject.
''Any news from Selphie?''
''Not really. She sends me postcards once in a blue moon.'' he said coldly while packing his gunblade, the weapon he was missing so much, since he had a long time to put it in use.
Zell soon realised that Squall wasn't in the mood to talk more about the company, so requested to be informed about their new adventure.
''Where are we heading for our new adventure?''
''First I take the road to Esthar. Laguna must know something about the new continent.''
It was no sooner than that when Zell became super duper excited.
''Oh yeah! We go to your father, Esthar's a massive city and we're gonna be helped! We'll be the first to explore the new continent and rock again!! Just like the old days, pal!''
''Don't get that excited. It's a personal matter.'' Squall tried to dishearten him. His efforts turned to be in vain, though.
''And take all the glory by yourself ?? Dude, I love the danger! We'll do it together!!''
Seeing that he was running out of options, Squall had but to accept.
''We've got a deal, Zell.'' he finally got a discreet smile. All was well.
….......................................................... ........................................................................... .......................
 
 
A/N So, what do you think about it, guys? Feedback is much appreciated, if you don't mind. It's just nice from time to time to know that your work pays off. That's all for now, see you in the next chapter!