Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Hateful Transformation ❯ Chapter Eleven ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hateful Transformation

Chapter Eleven

Disclaimer: Cloud, Vincent, Tifa, and the others were created by Square Enix. (Formerly Squaresoft.)

As Vincent and Cloud walked out the mansion's doors, they were immediately greeted by Tifa, and young Cloud, both of whom stared blankly at Vincent.

Cloud saw Tifa lean over and whisper to his younger self, "Who's he?" Young Cloud, in reply, simply shrugged and continued to stare awkwardly at the pale man.

Cloud smiled a little, and explained to them who he was. "This is Vincent Valentine. He lives in the downstairs part of the mansion. He used to work for Shinra, but retired." Vincent nodded stiffly, confirming what Cloud was saying.

"Nice to meet you Mister Valentine!" Tifa said cheerfully with a grin. "I never knew someone still lived in the mansion………………………̷ 0;I always thought it had been deserted since the Shinra scientists left."

Vincent lowered his head, and said nothing in reply. His crimson eyes burned with sorrow, upon hearing the word `scientist', the word obviously reminding him of his lost love Lucrecia.

Young Cloud quickly realized that something about this conversation greatly disturbed Vincent, and so, tried to lean toward a different subject. "So, are you going to come with us up to the Nibelheim reactor?" He asked, leaning against the fence surrounding the mansion, his arms casually crossed.

Vincent looked up slowly, and said quietly, "Yes." He then went back to gazing at the floor, as he had been doing the second before.

"So……………………." Tifa mumbled hesitantly to Cloud. "Should we go ahead and leave town? It's almost noon already…………………."

Cloud nodded, and then said, "Yeah, we should go ahead and leave. Just in case something happens…………………" He stopped for a moment, then added, "And delays us." He began to walk out the gate, followed by the others.

He turned left to leave the town, but before he was able to leave the small town, he heard loud footsteps come running after him. "Wait please, sir!" The man called, his breathing labored. "Please!" He pleaded once more.

Cloud turned around, and recognized the person instantly. It was the man whom had taken the infamous (To Cloud and to the rest of AVALANCHE, anyway.) picture as a souvenir of the great General's small venture to the tiny town.

"Ummmm………………. Sir, would you mind if I take a picture? Please?" The man mumbled weakly, holding up his giant camera. He then glanced over at Tifa, and gestured for her to help him. She solemnly agreed, then grabbed young Cloud by the arm and pulled him with her. She stood in front of the man, and turned to look at Cloud with a small smile on her face. Cloud sighed heavily, rolled his eyes, but walked over to the two teenagers, and stood patiently for the cameraman to shoot his picture.

The cameraman hurriedly did so, and unlike the usual that he did when he photographed people, he didn't even critique their position. He stood without moving, his whole body bent over the camera. "Say cheese!" He said nervously, and then snapped their picture.

After the obnoxious `snap', which had been followed by a blinding flash, the three got out of their positions. The man then stood up straight, and picked his camera up with one hand. "I'll give you each a copy once I get it developed!" He announced, and then ran off to his house.

Cloud watched his leave, then turned back to his companions. "Let's go," He ordered coolly, and then began to walk off towards the mountains that loomed ominously over the town.

Tifa blinked at the general, surprised that he wasn't letting her lead, as was the routine with the visitors of the town. She turned toward young Cloud; only to realize that he had began to follow him, as well as Vincent. She groaned loudly, and then ran to catch up with them.

"General!" She yelled, struggling to keep up with Cloud's long strides. "How do you know the way………………………?" She asked curiously, wondering if he had a map. She was interested if they did have one, since she had never thoroughly explored the mountains.

In reply to her question, Cloud automatically stopped in his steps, and gazed awkwardly at the ground. "I………………… Don't………………….." He said, and shook his head at himself. However, he closed his eyes for a moment, and thought of an excuse. "I'm……………….. Used to leading people, into battles, and so on," He explained thoughtfully. It was a lie, but it contained a grain of truth. He -was- used to leading people, though not as an actual military leader.

"Oh," Tifa said, and smiled. "I see. Well, I guess I'll show you all the way then!" She yelled cheerfully, and walked past Cloud. "The path's pretty straightforward. It should take us only a few minutes to get there." She started to walk on the bridge, then turned around and waited for Aurel and Kuno to catch up with them. "Come on," She said calmly as they walked up, then she went up to the middle of the bridge. Young Cloud looked at his commanding officer, then shrugged and followed her. Cloud soon followed, as well as the two guards.

As the group all came up to the middle, the bridge began to shake violently. "Oh no," Tifa cried faintly, as she glanced at the rope that was beginning to unravel. "Run!" She cried, and then attempted to run up the rest of the bridge, followed by Aurel. Unfortunately, they didn't make it in time. The rope completely tore, causing them all to plunge into a rocky abyss. All fell unconscious as soon as they hit a certain boulder, or simply hit the hard ground……………………

~~

"You're so close to me now………………………." The cold female voice said once more, in the blackness of Cloud's mind. "I can hardly wait………………….." It said emotionlessly, though Cloud detected a small hint of pleasure.

"Leave me alone……………………" Cloud told it feebly, as he began to regain consciousness.

"Just leave me alone……………………….."

~~

Cloud's eyes flew open, and he sat up. He groaned softly, rubbing his head. He looked around himself. There, laying to the right of him was Kuno. On the left, young Cloud was there. Both were still knocked out, in sprawled out in awkward positions.

Vincent had long since been revived, sitting patiently on a rock, staring out into nothingness. There was no trace of Tifa or Aurel.

Cloud stood up, and then walked over to Kuno, to search his pack to see if he had any Phoenix Downs. He found three. He first walked over to his younger self, then leaned down and forced his mouth open. He poured the red fluid down his throat. Young Cloud spluttered a few times, but his eyes eventually opened.

"Look for Tifa," Cloud ordered calmly to his younger self. In reply, young Cloud nodded, got up, and ran off to find her, and perhaps Aurel.

Cloud then walked over to Kuno, and repeated the process that he had done with young Cloud. Before he actually woke up, he coughed, and shivered violently. His fists were clenched. As his eyes finally opened, he sat up slowly. "What happened?" He asked dully, rubbing his bloody head softly.

"The bridge snapped. We need to look for Aurel, and Tifa." Cloud said in reply. He then ran over to Vincent, and asked if he could help. He reluctantly agreed to do so, and soon, they were all searching for the two. Young Cloud was shouting their names, and Vincent and Cloud simply looked into crevasses and under jutting areas.

~~

They were able to find Tifa, though there was no trace of Aurel. "Just like last time……………………." Cloud mumbled miserably. Vincent turned to look at him, but said nothing.

"She's in bad shape," Young Cloud said unhappily, gazing at his bloody friend. "Really bad……………….." He continued, and his eyes became watery. He turned away from the group, and looked up at the sky, trying not to think about what he could have prevented.

"I have some Cure Materia," Cloud told to both young Cloud and Tifa, whom was whimpering quietly. He held it out, and casted it on her. Her wounds immediately vanished; leaving only dried blood and a few scars from a few sharp rock edges she had hit as she had tumbled down the mountain.

"Thank you," Tifa said breathlessly, staring at her arm, where her largest wound had been. She then felt the top of her head. "Ungh!" She cried. "I lost my hat!"

"You were lucky you didn't lose more than your hat today, Ms. Lockheart." Kuno mumbled, as he straightened he brushed some loose dirt off his uniform.

"Yeah, you're right…………………….. Hey, where's the other guard?" She asked apprehensively, glancing at each of them.

"We haven't found him," Cloud said quietly. "I don't really think we will either………………….." He said a few seconds later. "Is there another way to the reactor from here?" He asked Tifa, though he already knew there was.

"Yes, though it's a lot longer," She replied, pointing to a cave in the distance. "You have to go through there, but after that I'm not really sure………………."

"Lead the way then……………………….." Cloud said sensitively, gesturing for her to start.

She nodded, and then jumped onto the rock. "Follow me then!" She announced, and then ran off towards the cave.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" Cloud said, glancing at the others that remained. Cloud and Kuno both immediately started to follow, then by a hesitant Vincent. Cloud went last, but before he started to go, he turned and stared mournfully out into the distance.

Wishing he wouldn't have to have all of his memories from his -former- past.

~~