Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There ❯ I'll Be There ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: Yes, that's right... I own Final Fantasy... I own Squaresoft... I own Sony... Now everyone must bow down to me... Mwahahahahahahaha!!!! *Ahem* What's that? You weren't supposed to hear that! No... no, I didn't say anything... Just... thinking aloud... *whistles innocently*

A/N: This song is a bit obscure... It's by Escape Club, circa sometime in the eighties... I'll assure you though that you don't need to know it. (If you do, kudos to you!) It's not cheesy, just very sad... Hope you like!


I'LL BE THERE


She couldn't believe that he was gone.

He'd always been there. . . even when he denied himself of the very feelings that coursed through his veins... the feelings of love and caring for her... he'd always been there... But now none of that mattered. Squall was dead, and there was nothing that she or anyone else could do to change that. Rinoa walked through the empty ruins of Edea's house, Squall's childhood home, and remembered his promise to her, years before... his promise that he would be there for her, waiting.


"Over Mountains
Over Trees
Over Oceans
Over Seas
Across the Deserts
I'll be there"


Rinoa sighed as she walked through the empty, dilapidated building. The house was as desolate as her very soul. She sat down on an lone gray brick, and fought back the tears of sadness and pain that welled up in her eyes. A cool wind began to howl through the cracks and openings in the house, but Rinoa didn't notice. She hadn't noticed much in the days since his death. Clouds began to cover the afternoon sky, and the temperature slowly dropped. Rinoa shivered inwardly as she zipped up Squall's black jacket, and article she hadn't parted with since that fateful day when her very life changed forever.


"In a whisper on the wind
On the smile of a new friend
Just think of me
And I'll be there"


She wanted to remember the good times, the happy, carefree times, but in reality they had never really existed. It had only been a little less than half a year since the looming threat of Ultimecia had been defeated. They had only begun to pull their lives together.

Rinoa rocked back and forth on the brick with her eyes closed, recalling that fateful day. She had been talking with Quistis when Irivine had rushed into the room, breathing heavily and speaking incoherently. Squall and Zell were walking to the small city of Balamb when they were attacked by a creature. He wasn't sure what it was, but it was powerful. They had been taken into the infirmary, but for Squall it was too late. Rinoa arrived just in time to hear his last words, and to say goodbye.


"Don't be afraid, oh my love
I'll be watching you from above
And I'd give all the world tonight,
To be with you
Because I'm on your side,
And I still care
I may have died,
But I've gone nowhere"


Rinoa opened her eyes again. The sun had long since set. She stood up on shaky legs and sighed. She didn't know why she was there. He'd promised to be there, but now he was dead. She didn't know whether to scream or to cry.

Just as Rinoa turned around to leave the ruins, a soft, warm breeze blew through the house, beckoning her in its direction.


"Just think of me,
And I'll be there"


Sniffling, Rinoa followed the breeze, a breeze that seemed so out of place on that cool evening. She opened the door and gasped softly as she realized where she was.

It looked different at night. So different. But nevertheless, she was standing in the same spot where he had promised her that he would wait for her... that he would be there. She walked out to the small meadow, and let out a choking cry, but once again, a soft breeze blew towards her, caressing her in her moment of need. Comforting her in her moment of sadness.


"On the edge of a waking dream
Over Rivers
Over Streams
Through Wind and Rain
I'll be there"


Rinoa opened her eyes and wiped away a few stray tears. Sure, there had been many bad memories, but the good ones outweighed them greatly. She sat amongst the flowers, and let out another sigh as she thought of the happier times they'd shared together. As she looked up to the sky, she saw a shooting star fly through the sky.


"Across the wide and open sky
Thousands of miles I'd fly
To be with you
I'll be there"


She closed her eyes again and smiled. Suddenly, it was a year earlier, when she had stumbled upon the antisocial, yet somewhat charming Squall Leonhart. Rinoa could almost hear the music from that night, and smell the scent of his cologne... They had seen a shooting star that night, and she'd wished that they would be together...

Rinoa opened her eyes, and the dream fell away. Once again, she was alone... Why did all her dreams end up ending like this?


"Don't be afraid, oh my love
I'll be watching you from above
And I'd give all the world tonight,
To be with you
Because I'm on your side,
And I still care
I may have died,
But I've gone nowhere

Just think of me,
And I'll be there"


Rinoa stood up angrily, "Why did you have to leave me Squall?! Why??!" Tears streamed down her face as she repeated her final question again, "Why?"

Just then, the warm wind blew to her, practically through her, and realization hit. Squall was there, and always would be there. No matter what, Squall would always be there for her. She relaxed slightly, feeling the tears on her cheeks dry slowly, and hearing his words.


"In the breath of a wind that sighs
Oh, there's no need to cry"


She smiled. She would never be alone. Squall's promise rang true. Though he would never again be with her in a physical sense, she knew that she would always carry him with her. Both in her memory, and in her heart.


"Just think of me,
And I'll be there"