Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ In My Mind's Eye ❯ Chapter 3

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter Three
 
 
Yuffie awoke to find herself in a warm and comfortable place. She was in her bedroom in the palace, in a bed made with nice, crispy-clean sheets. A fire crackled in the grate and she sighed. How wonderful to be warm. Her mother came in and sat down on the bed, stroking her hair as she gave her little hugs and kisses.
 
“You're here, mama. Will you read me a story?” Yuffie asked.
 
Her mother smiled and picked up a storybook, opening it. The first page showed a man and a woman on a beautiful spring day. The picture sprang to life as the man offered his lover a nectarine. Her mother smiled and turned the page, revealing an underground cavern. As Yuffie gazed into the cavern, two men were struggling over a gun. The gun fired and one of the men slipped to the floor. The sound of mad laughter filled the cavern. When her mother turned the page again, there was the source of the laughter; an evil, grinning mad scientist.
 
At that moment, it began to feel less warm as Yuffie sensed a chill. She opened her eyes and there she was, back in the cave. She panicked, and ran outside. Taking deep gulps of air, she tried to get her bearings. Suddenly, she felt an icy hand on her shoulder and turned with a start.
 
“Don't do that again!” Yuffie gave him a furious look.
 
“What's the matter?” Yuki asked her.
 
“Nothing, I'm just hungry.”
 
“I've just been gathering fruits for your breakfast.” Yuki opened his hand to show his catch. “I also brought you some Kupo nuts.”
 
Yuffie screwed her face up in disgust. “EW! GROSSNESS! What are those things?”
 
“You eat fruit, don't you?”
 
“Yeah, but I don't want those. I want some hot food!” Yuffie pouted and stamped her foot. “Make me a fire and cook me some steaming rice porridge! And make it snappy!”
 
“And should I melt myself a little to make you tea?”
 
“Cut the sarcasm, Mr. Frosty.”
 
At that moment, they looked at each other and Yuffie began to chuckle. She snatched a Kupo nut and gave it a reluctant bite. They weren't so bad after all…
 
A rustle from the undergrowth disturbed them.
 
“What's that?” Yuffie was startled, hiding behind Yuki.
 
“I don't know.” Yuki replied, looking at the frightened and defenseless girl. “But I do know that you must eat. I remember there was someone who once loved to eat fruit.”
 
Yuffie realized how hungry she was when her stomach grumbled. She devoured the food greedily and sat down on an old tree stump.
 
“I wish there was someone who cold help us.” she sighed.
 
A voice came from the trees. “Oh, but there is.”
 
“Was that you?” Yuffie asked Yuki, who only shook his head. “Who's there?”
 
They looked around and heard giggling up in the trees. It was cut off and followed by a silence. Then there was a rustling from behind.
 
“Yuki, I'm afraid.” The princess whispered.
 
The rustling came closer. Yuffie forgot herself and put her arms around Yuki. To her surprise, she discovered that although he was made of ice, he wasn't as cold as she thought he would be. She heard a faint pulse. Was it her own heart beating, or was there something else there?
 
Yuki stepped forward and thrust his hand into the undergrowth, pulling out a struggling Moogle.
 
“Hey, put me down!” The furry creature squirmed.
 
“What are you?” Yuffie gasped in surprise.
 
“Don't you mean WHO am I? That's very rude! I am Loki.”
 
“It's only a Moogle.” Yuki said, lowering him to the ground.
 
“What do you mean ONLY a Moogle? I am a skilled warrior!” Loki boasted with pride. His little nose crinkled up with indignation.
 
“I thought you were only from bedtime stories.” Yuffie said.
 
“Well, if that's your attitude, I'm not going to help you.” He turned his back and crossed his arms.
 
“C'mon, don't be like that. I've never met a Moogle before.” Yuffie stroked his head gently…and Loki liked it. So much he made a chirping noise. “So tell me, what were you doing eavesdropping into our little chit-chat?” she asked, still stroking him.
 
“I wasn't eavesdropping. I couldn't help hearing. Half the forest could hear you.”
 
“Then aren't you gonna help us?”
 
“Why should I?”
 
“Because I've got a handful of tasty Kupo nuts right here, and I know you how much you love them!”
 
Yuffie waved the nuts at Loki.
 
“Holy mother of Materia.” Loki's jaw dropped in sheer delight. “Yummy, yummy!”
 
“And what's more…” Yuffie winked with a cheeky grin. “…Yuki knows where to find them.”
 
“Okay…you must go and find Wu-Wei.”
 
“Who-Wei?” Yuffie frowned.
 
“No, Wu-Wei, you dumb bird!”
 
Yuki had no idea who the Moogle was referring to either. “Who's Wu-Wei?”
 
Loki shook his head in disbelief. “Don't tell me you don't know who Wu-Wei is. He's wisest creature in all the forest.”
 
“How do we get there?” Yuki asked.
 
As Loki was about to answer, there came a mighty roar. Kazar was not far away.
 
“Be quiet.” Loki whispered. “The White Tiger approaches. Quickly, this way!”
 
Yuffie and Yuki followed him as they climbed up a tree, crossing the vines one by one. The roar of Kazar drew nearer and nearer. Yuki picked up Yuffie by her waists and tossed her up into the trees.
 
“Ow! That hurt!” Yuffie whined, rubbing her back.
 
“Well, I thought you could fly in that silly bird outfit!” Loki joked.
 
Yuffie furiously grabbed his face and stretched his cheeks hard as far as they could go. “I swear! If you say one word more about mama's-”
 
“Ow! I'm only trying to help.”
 
As Yuki swung up into the branches, the sound of Kazar's heavy breath and his carnivorous growl could be heard below. Everyone held their breath and as Yuffie gazed about, she could see that all the treetops were connected with ladders and bridges made of vines. And there on other treetops, were many Moogles observing her.
 
Just as they thought the danger had finally passed, Kazar made a leap up the tree, his claws trying to get purchase on the steep and sticky tree trunks.
 
“Quickly, follow me.” Loki said as he swiftly ran across a vine rope bridge, the others following hot on his heels. As they reached the other side, Loki stood his ground.
 
“Cut the bridge.” Yuffie begged.
 
“No.” Loki replied. “The White Tiger has never got up this far into the trees. We're safe…for the moment at least.”
 
“I thought you were going to show us the way to this Wu-Wei of yours.”
 
“And so I am. You must follow me now. We must get away from here quickly and safely to another part of the forest.”
 
The journey over the vine bridges began, the vines creaking under the weight of Yuki as Moogles swung on vines around them, moving from one part of the forest to another.
 
They walked for hours and still their destination seemed an age away. Eventually it began to grow dark in the forest canopy as the sun set.
 
“Stop! Please, I wanna stop!” moaned Yuffie. “My feet hurt.” She stopped and looked down to her feet and saw that they were all raw, cracked and blistered.
 
“It's not much further now.” Loki said.
 
“I can't go on any more.” Yuffie began to sob with tiredness and in self-pity.
 
Loki looked at her, grabbed her and lifted her onto his back.
 
“Sheesh. You weigh as much as a fat Chocobo.”
 
An insulted Yuffie fumed in anger, stretching the Moogle's cheeks again, only harder than last time. “Less talking and more walking, furball! Now move it!”
 
A few minutes later, they came to a vast clearing. There, in front of them, was a lake, and in the lake, an island. A full moon was reflected in the still and glassy waters.
 
“Put me down, put me down now!” Yuffie yelled.
 
“All right, all right!” Loki replied.
 
Yuffie looked at the scene in awe. How beautiful, she thought, the scenery bathed in cool white light from the full moon.
 
“So where does this Wu-Wei of yours live?” she demanded.
 
“There, on the island in the middle of the lake.” Loki pointed.
 
“Well what are we waiting for?” Yuffie ran off down through the moss and bracken, down to the lake and began to wade into the lake, laughing.
 
“No! Don't go into the lake!” Loki cried out. But Yuffie couldn't hear as she began to swim out into the water. “Yuki, quick! We must stop her!”
 
As Yuffie felt the cool water bathing her bruised and scratched legs and her poor cracked blistered feet, she began to relax.
 
“Hey, it's great in here, guys. Come on in.”
 
“No, Yuffie! No! The lake is the home of water dragons.”
 
“But they're cute little things, aren't they?” she recalled the pictures from her storybooks. Sea dragons were happy smiling mischievous little sprites….weren't they?
 
Something brushed against her leg.
 
“Get out of there, Yuffie!” Yuki cried.
 
Yuffie sighed and thought what old women they were being, when suddenly she felt something wrap itself around her legs, pulling her tightly. Then a monstrous great head arose from the water, its black eyes bulging and blue scale glistening all over its neck in the moonlight. Yuffie was terrified. Then the head came close up to her and a mouth opened. It looked like the jaws of hell. Filled with needle like teeth and a red pointed tongue. It screeched at Yuffie and its nostrils flared.
 
It sniffed the air, its eyes focused on the tiny little princess, wondering whether she was food or a friend…
 
 
Author's Note: Mwa-ha-ha. Another cliff hanger coming at ya! A GREAT BIG hug and thanks to everybody and their kind reviews so far. One of you mentioned about fanart, and I'm very happy to accept them if you wish to submit any. Just e-mail me or leave a review and I'll get in touch.
 
 
 
1