Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ In My Mind's Eye ❯ Chapter 4

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter Four
 
 
Yuki and Loki looked on horrified as it seemed the dragon was about to devour the little princess. The creature roared but Yuffie, instead of looking frightened, looked deep into the creature's eyes, and slowly the creature released its grip and gently placed her on the shore. It bowed its head and she began to stroke it as it shut its eyes.
 
“Holy mother of Materia!” Loki cried astonished. “Where in blazes did you learn to do that?”
 
“From where I come from, they are the sacred guardians of our temples.” Yuffie replied. “Come on, I'll ask it to take us to the island.”
 
“I'm not getting on that.” Loki recoiled back in fear.
 
“We've come too far to turn back now.” Yuki looked back from where they came.
 
“They're quite friendly.” Yuffie smiled.
 
“No! I told you I'm not getting on one of those.” Loki rejected still.
 
“But we will need you.” Yuki said.
 
“What do you need ME for?”
 
“Only you can show us the way.”
 
“Oh yeah, the way…” Loki nodded his head.
 
Yuffie whispered in the water dragon's ear, and in an instant, it coiled itself around Loki and Yuki. Sliding back into the lake while Yuffie rode on its neck.
 
“Help!” Loki clung onto the water dragon for his desperate life.
 
The journey was smooth. But underneath the water, Yuki could see skeletal remains of what appeared to be human bones, amidst those of sea life and other wild animals.
 
“Don't look down.” Yuki warned Loki.
 
The petrified Moogle looked down, much to his sorrowful regret. “Too late.”
 
The island became much bigger as it drew nearer. As they approached it, the sky grew darker as clouds obscured the moon. The water dragon seemed to move faster as the island's shore loomed closer. Yuffie thought they were going to crash. But then, with a flick of its tail, the water dragon threw them with agility.
 
Yuffie was disorientated when she found herself in Yuki's arms. The iceman fell onto a layer of thick springy moss, cushioning their rough landing.
 
“So how much further to this Wu-Wei?” Yuffie asked.
 
“I don't know.” Loki shrugged.
 
“What do you mean you don't know?” Yuffie frowned. “You said you knew him!”
 
“I said I knew someone who could help you. I never said I knew him personally.”
 
Yuffie rolled her eyes, shaking her head. “Do you at least know what he looks like?”
 
“Nope.”
 
“Do you know what sort of person he is?”
 
“He must be some kind of wise old man.”
 
“Gawd, that's just great…fine then, I'll find him myself.”
 
The little princess stormed off into the dark forest.
 
“Wait, Yuffie.” Yuki said. “I'll come with you.”
 
“In that case, I'll stay here.” Loki said, sniffing for Kupo nuts around the trees. “I haven't eaten all day!”
 
“Loki, we have to help her.” Yuki picked the hungry Moogle up by the scruff of his neck. “This is no time to think of food.”
 
“What gives?” Loki squirmed rebelliously. “A Moogle's gotta eat to survive, you know. And besides, why do you care so much about that snotty little kid? What has she ever done for you?”
 
“She brought me to life.” Yuki replied in a soft voice.
 
“That's a first.” Loki thought, rubbing his chin. “Can't argue with that one. Then again, it's kinda hard to believe that…hey, where'd she go?”
 
Yuki turned around to see that Yuffie had disappeared. Dropping Loki, he rushed through the forest, searching frantically for the girl. No matter how desperate she might be to find Wu-Wei, Yuki was also determined to get answers to things he needed to know about himself.
 
Who was he? How did he end up on this nameless island? And what ever happened to the man that brought him into these icy circumstances? So many questions surrounded him.
 
 
“HELLO?!” Yuffie called out, her voice echoing amongst the tree life. “Anybody here?”
 
As she walked further and further into the interior of the island, she saw how things grew differently here, almost as if their life had evolved independently from the rest. As the trees crowded together high above her, the sun piercing the canopy with golden spotlights, she looked around and saw white deer, brightly plumed birds and furry lorises that couldn't keep their wide eyes off her. Did any of these creatures know anything about Wu-Wei, or were they simply as dim-witted as Loki?
 
A cool breeze rustled through the forest. It was getting late. She looked up and saw the sky above was growing darker and now her impatience had subsided. She realized she was lost and not a little hungry. As the sun set, unfamiliar sounds began to stir in the forest; the whirs, clicks and growls of the local nightlife. At least Kazar was far away. She got up and tried to retrace her steps before the light finally failed, calling out for Yuki as she did so. And as the light grew dim, her path became unfamiliar. Suddenly, there was a high-pitched animal noise that pierced the eerie night sounds and made her shiver.
 
Yuki and Loki heard this too. It was an unearthly sound.
 
“What's that?” Yuki asked Loki.
 
“Dunno. Never heard it before in my life.” Loki answered.
 
Suddenly the noise came closer; a blood-curdling screech. Something ancient, something angry, was coming right towards them.
 
“Quick.” Yuki said. “We have to run!”
 
Loki looked up but it was too late. The beast was upon them…
 
As Yuffie stumbled her way through the chilly night, she heard a terrible scream in the distance. It sounded like Loki. What terrible place had he brought them to? She was beginning to wish she had not run away from home with such a hot temper. She listened out again. But all she could hear were the strange forest noises. There seemed to be a warm, flickering yellow glow through the trees in the distance.
Perhaps there was food and some shelter. She cautiously made her way towards the source of light. As she approached nearer, she began to be able to make out an encampment of sorts.
 
There was a fire in the middle of a clearing and on the fire, a huge pot was bubbling away. Delicious cooking smells wafted through the evening breeze, making her stomach rumble. When she had almost reached the edge of the clearing, she saw a strange red, furry figure with its back to her, stirring the cauldron with a stick. She was about to step forward when she noticed, lying on the ground by the fire, a furry animal skin that looked as though it had been freshly slaughtered. She looked harder and much to her horror, it appeared to be the furry skin of a Moogle.
 
The beast had killed Loki. She was sure of it, and let out a gasp. At this, the creature turned to face her. It was horrific, one side of its face was that of a red panda, but the other, was a mass of wires and metal, covering one eye. She wanted to scream, but she couldn't.
 
“AH! We've been expecting you. You must be hungry.” The furry creature said. He scampered easily over to her, taking her petrified hand, pulling her near the fire. He smiled at her, bearing his sharp teeth, licking his twisted lips. “Come closer.”
 
Yuffie wanted to run, but fear paralysed her and transfixed her to the spot. As the horrible realization dawned on her that she had walked into a trap, and that Wu-Wei was no benevolent sage, but an evil flesh-eating monster.
 
He pushed the bowl of bubbling stew towards her. “Eat.” He demanded, but Yuffie felt sick and pushed it away.
 
“Are you Wu-Wei?” she asked.
 
“Yes, it is Wu-Wei you seek.” He nodded.
 
Exhausted, with the last remains of hope draining away from her, she sank to her knees and began to weep. The creature looked confused, saying: “What's this? Why are you leaking?” he demanded, looking at her tears.
 
“What have you done with my friends?” Yuffie cried.
 
“Your friends have been taken care of.” The furry creature replied. “As you will soon be too. You shall all be with Wu-Wei.”
 
So this was it, Yuffie thought to herself. Wu-Wei was just another name for death.
 
“But first,” The furry creature interjected. “you must answer me a riddle. And then your ordeal will be over.”
 
Yuffie looked over at the Moogle skin rug and felt the stirring of anger burning in her heart.
 
“Why should I answer your stupid riddle?!”
 
“Because it's fun.”
 
Yuffie stared into the strange face of the furry creature. “It doesn't look fun from where I'm looking.”
 
“But you've nowhere to go, there's no one else on the island. This is your destiny. This is where you prove yourself.”
 
“And if I answer correctly?”
 
“If you answer correctly, then you are indeed she that Wu-Wei has long expected.”
 
“And if I give the wrong answer?”
 
“Then Wu-Wei will send you on your way.”
 
“What is your stupid riddle?”
 
The furry creature grabbed her arm in a strong grip with its paw and pulled her down onto the ground so that she was facing him. His face caught the flickering reds and oranges of the fire throwing moving shadows over the animal part of his head whilst the metal antenna gleamed in the dark.
 
“Here is the riddle…listen carefully and listen well. You are lost and as you try and find your way home you stumble across two doors. One of the doors will lead to a life of prosperity and happiness, while the other will lead to misery and sorrow. But you cannot tell which is which.
 
In front of each door are identical brothers who know which door leads to which fortune. One of the brothers always lies, and the other always tells the truth. You do not know which brother is the liar and which is the truth-teller.
 
You are allowed to ask only a single question of one of the brothers, not both, to figure out which door to open. What question should you ask?”
 
Yuffie stared into his strange face again, deeper in thought. She had heard something like this from Chekov before…
 
“That's a cinch,” she finally replied. “I'd ask one of them to ask his brother where the good door is. If the truth-telling brother asked his lying twin he'd point to the bad door, `cause this is what the lying brother would do. If I asked the lying brother, he'll also point to the bad door, `cause this ISN'T what the truth-telling brother would do. So really, whatever door is pointed to, I oughta go through the other one. So there's your answer you weird, fuzzy coot!”
 
She spat in the furry creature's eye and picked up the stick he had used to stir the cauldron, bringing it down hard on his skull. Possessed now with anger and fury, she raised it high above her head and was about to bring it smashing down a second time…when she felt it plucked right out of her hands. As she turned round, a friendly face of a giant panda bear looked into hers and said:
 
“That will pay havoc with his reception you know. I suppose Phong Thuy was asking his stupid riddle again.”