Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ In My Mind's Eye ❯ Chapter 5

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 5

 
“Who are you?” she asked astonished as the giant panda sat down next to her by the fire.
 
“Who am I?” The panda chuckled joyfully. “I am Wu-Wei. And you, I believe, are Princess Yuffie, the White Rose of Wutai.”
 
“How do you know?”
 
“Because your friends told me.”
 
“But you…killed them!”
 
“Killed…?” Wu-Wei raised his brow in confusion. “HO-HO! Now that's a funny one!” he burst out laughing, rubbing his white belly. “No, no one has been killed, they are here, safe and sound, asleep after eating too many dream berries.”
 
“But I heard a scream!”
 
“Yes. But fortunately, I found your friends in the nick of time.”
 
“What happened?” Yuffie sounded desperate.
 
“They were attacked by a Blood Screecher, ancient beasts that have survived from another time.”
 
“What's a Blood Screecher?” Yuffie asked curiously.
 
“A fearsome creature, half-reptile half-bird, with a pointy beak and a blood curdling cry…hence its name. As it leapt towards your friend, I knew I had to save them. I owe it all to my wonderful bamboo staff. Although I may be old, I have not forgotten my training.”
 
At that Wu-Wei stood up and smiled. Taking little Yuffie by the hand, he led her into the cave on the other side of the fire, where to her joy, she discovered her companions. Loki was fast asleep on mossy pillows, while Yuki sat patiently beside him.
 
“So tell me, child.” Wu-Wei wriggled his fat belly. “What has brought you here?”
 
“I don't know.” Yuffie shook her head, confused. “I don't know ANYTHING of what's going on here. First I wind up on this desolate island, I find this walking snow cone, I meet a talking Moogle, then I end up here with you and that smelly carpet over there.”
 
Wu-Wei sniffed with his nose. “Really? Phong Thuy doesn't smell that bad, if you ask me.”
 
“That's not the point!” Yuffie stamped her foot in frustration. No doubt in Wu-Wei's eye it was that the young princess was homesick. “You're meant to tell us everything you know! So just cut the crap and spill it out!”
 
Wu-Wei remained calm as always, patting the impatient child on the head. “Now, now…there's no need to get so agitated. You have come a long way, I see. Why not have a drink?”
 
Phong Thuy approached the group with a tray, offering them cups of herbal tea.
 
“What's this?” Loki asked.
 
“A homemade recipe.” Wu-Wei replied. “Phong Thuy likes to call it Caaya. Please…try some. It will help calm your nerves.”
 
“Don't mind if I do.” Loki gladly accepted the hot drink, curious to know how it tasted.
 
Yuffie sighed as she took the cup in her hands, blowing the steam aside before taking a sip. It tasted warm but bitter. Yuki watched, before rolling his eyes to his own chilled cup. He downed his drink in one gulp.
 
“I should warn you,” intoned Wu-Wei, “this is no ordinary drink.” Yuffie's vision began to go in and out of focus. “This drink will take you on an inner quest. It will show you things that have been, things that are, and what yet may come to pass.”
 
As Yuffie looked up at Yuki, something strange seemed to be coming over him. His outlines began to shade into deep navy and where there was ice, there was flesh…as if the iceman that she had known had withdrawn as the human he had been stepped forward. His eyes glowed with a crimson light under black raven hair. Yuffie saw an ordinary man in a suit, white shirt and black tie standing before her…
 
Loki saw himself sitting on the top of a hill, from where he could see everything. Phong Thuy danced in circles around him, occasionally offering him some strange but oddly tasty mushrooms. His eye rolled round and round and round. Now he really could see everything.
 
Yuki stood up and looked down at his hands, turning them over to inspect the flesh. He was warm, he was alive. As he looked up, he saw a beautiful woman approaching him. It was Lucrecia.
 
“Lucrecia!” Yuki cried out to the figure in front of him.
 
He was amazed that he knew her name…but that was not all. He knew who she was; his lover. A flood of memories overwhelmed him; he knew he was a secret agent. He gazed into her eyes…sensing her love for him. He focused on her lips. She was uttering his name, but he couldn't hear it. What was his name?
 
Yuffie saw a vision of her home. She was in the royal apartments. Sitting at his desk was her father, the Emperor Godo. Chekov was trying to bring him food but he just pushed it away, for he was too distraught. As Chekov closed the door behind her, he burst into tears, wracked with grief and guilt-stricken, crying out for his daughter's name. He prayed in desperation to Leviathan, begging him to find his child and bring her back home safely, praying that she was still alive. Yuffie felt the hot prick of tears welling up in her eyes.
 
The image of the palace faded from Yuffie's vision and through it came the face of Wu-Wei. But he was no longer the amiable and funny old panda. He was wise, cunning and powerful. He looked directly into her eyes.
 
“Now you have seen…tell me…what is it that you want?”
 
Without hesitation, Yuffie answered-
 
“I want to go home.”
 
To Yuki, Wu-Wei asked the same question. “What is it that you want?”
 
“I want to know my true name.” he replied.
 
And then he came to Loki who answered even before Wu-Wei had managed to ask the question.
 
“I want to be a great sage like you.”
 
Now it was Wu-Wei's turn to speak. “Three of you have come here, but only two shall leave and of those two, only one shall live to tell the tale.”
 
“You mean you won't help us?” Yuffie cried anxiously.
 
“That is not what I have said.” The wise panda replied. “There are many things that are beyond my power. When you realize that this is so, you will understand those things that can be changed and those things that cannot, and this is the beginning of wisdom. As for Loki, he will stay here with Phong Thuy and myself where he will begin to learn the ways of the sage.”
 
“Oh goody!” Loki leaped excitedly for joy.
 
“And to begin your training in the ways of the sage, you can take these cups and go wash them up.”
 
Loki was hesitant. Just what did cleaning cups have anything to do with being a sage? “But…”
 
“It is also our way not to question…unless of course you don't want to be a sage.”
 
“Um…I would love to wash them up.” Loki delivered a forceful smile and nod.
 
“Then go and see Phong Thuy, and see if he can give you any chores. This is how all great sages learn.” Loki got up and did as he was told.
 
“One of us will die?” Yuffie asked nervously.
 
“We all die.” The wise bear replied.
 
“But…”
 
“There is not much time now so you must listen. I have long known that you would come to this island, Tsas Aral…for I too have had a dream. I saw you from afar in a vision quest. You must get off this island swiftly, Yuffie, for your father needs you.”
 
“Tell me how.” The princess replied.
 
“There is a cave across this island on the coast. It contains many relics that belonged to the scientist who created me… and who entombed your icy friend here. In this cave are the remains of his once great laboratory. There you will find one of his airships which will take you wherever you want.”
 
“Great…so what are we waiting for?”
 
“Not so impetuous, young child.”
 
“Gawd, what's the problem?” Yuffie moaned anxiously.
 
“The problem is Kazar. For this cave is his lair. Kazar was the last and most dangerous of the scientist's experiments and he will kill to protect his domain.”
 
“One of us will die and one will escape…isn't that what you said?” Yuki suddenly looked up at them both.
 
Wu-Wei's wise but kind eyes looked sorrowful for a moment. “Yes…yes, this is true but in death this one will discover their true identity.”
 
Yuki turned his attention towards a distressed Yuffie. He could sense the tremendous fear in her face. “Yuffie…listen to me. I swear to protect you come what may, so that you may escape from this island and be reunited with your father. If Wu-Wei will allow, perhaps he will accompany us across the lake and give us provisions for this last and most dangerous part of our journey.”
 
“I will indeed,” The panda replied. “I have many tasty morsels to keep a body warm and delight the mind. But I must warn you that Kazar will know of this plan.”
 
“How?” Yuffie and Yuki replied in unison.
 
“He is intelligent beyond normal ways. His senses are keen so he will know you have been to see me. He has spies everywhere.”
 
“Then why does he not come and attack us here?” Yuki asked.
 
“He has one weakness. He cannot swim…Kazar is not fully animal. There are many instruments and devices implanted into his body, and so the water can cause them to malfunction.”
 
“When shall we start?”
 
“I have told you, dear princess, not to be so hasty. We must make your preparations before you go and I will give you a dream berry, so that you may heal and be refreshed.” Wu-Wei paused for a moment, before continuing to say: “Go and ask Phong Thuy to come here, will you?”
 
Yuffie offered a frown and stomped off. Yuki was about to rise too when Wu-Wei stopped him, blocking his path with his bamboo staff.
 
“Your name will come to you.”
 
Yuki looked down at his ice-solid hands, curling and uncurling his frozen fingers. He hoped the panda was right. “When? When will it come?” he asked.
 
“At the end and beyond.”
 
 
Author's Note: What do you suppose Wu-Wei's prophecy could mean for Yuffie and Vin…ahem, Yuki?
 
Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. It's been a busy summer, and it'll be busier this month, but I'm always happy to read your thoughts. Enjoy the rest of summer break!