Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Prologue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Prologue:

 

 

The town of North Coral crumbled as the flames gnawed at its skeleton remains. Screams filled the air as victims tried to out run the searing heat of the destructive force that slowly killed their homes. The grounds were littered with those who tried to flee but were not quick enough to escape. Soulless eyes of those that had already departed rested upon the creator of the destruction.

 

A female clad in black faced the only remaining obstacle that stood in the way of her completing her task. Empty eyes stared down upon a pathetic fool who knelt before her, begging her to leave. Clasped hands, pleading eyes, a woman in dire need of something that was only going to be answered with the sound of cold steel smacking the back of her neck, decapitating her in an instant.

 

The female rested her sword by her side; her gaze fell upon the only remaining house that stood untouched by the flames of destruction. She lifted her hand and spoke one word. "FIRE!" The green materia fixed in her sword winked and the house was immediately engulfed in flames. She turned her back to the structure and began walking silently away, her job done.

 

She took two steps before a shrieking cry sounded, catching her attention. Without showing any emotion on her face, she slowly turned around and faced the last structure she had set afire. In front of it was a woman on her knees, sobbing uncontrollably. There was something disturbing about the woman on the ground, something that the female couldn't ignore.

 

Slowly, she retraced her steps and stood looking down upon the sobbing creature that knelt on the ground before her. The woman sobbed as she buried her head into her hands. The searing heat from the fire was gnawing at her back, but she didn't seem to care anymore.

 

The female cocked her head to the side and stared at the sobbing woman. Without saying a word, she lifted her sword, wrapped both hands around it, and plunged it through the woman, silencing her sobs. She withdrew her sword and stared at the house. For a moment she wondered what would make the woman and man act so strangely.

 

Curiosity had gotten the best of her and she lifted her hand and spoke another word. "ICE!" The second green materia in her sword winked and a sheet of ice appeared, dousing the flames immediately.

 

Once the fire out, the female stepped inside and began looking around. Nothing seemed extraordinary so she kept searching. A check of all the rooms wielded an empty search, which frustrated the female. The whole incident was nothing more than a waste of time. She began making her way out of the charred structure when something in the back of the last room caught her eye. She stepped into the room to take a closer look. The only thing she found was a charred bed with blankets bundled up in it.

 

Something about the blankets disturbed her. The female reached down and picked up the small bundle of blankets and unwrapped them. To her surprise a tiny face stared back at her. The figure opened its eyes and for a moment fixed them upon hers. Innocent eyes filled with death only stared for a moment before the last breath was taken. A shrieking cry escaped her lips and echoed through the dark, destroyed town only to become lost among other distraught death cries.