Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Chapter 14

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 14

 

 

Selphie's voice once again broke through her deep thoughts. "So, do you have any other friends back home?"

 

Once again the memory of Reno flashed in her mind. Shukera began smiling as soon as the memory entered her mind; her cheeks began to turn a slight shade of red. "Yes, I have a very close friend."

 

Selphie snickered, "OOOHHH must be a male friend!! From the way your face looks now, it must be a very cute male friend."

 

Shukera caught herself, turning a darker shade of red. "Huh? What ever gave you that idea?"

 

"Your smile and expression gave it away!" Selphie laughed, holding her hand over her mouth. "You're practically glowing!"

 

Shukera looked away and protested, "It's not what you think!"

 

Selphie giggled harder, "OK! What ever you say!" She continued laughing for a moment as she walked up to where she sat Seifer's picture and picked it up again. She replied as she stared at the picture, "You know there's something that makes me think about that Sephiroth guy when I look at this picture. I just wish I could place what it is."

 

Selphie continued to tap her fingers against the picture as she stared at it. She gazed at it a moment longer before facing Shukera, "And Quistis too. They have something in common, I just can't figure out what it is." Selphie just shrugged and placed the picture back down. "Oh well, maybe its nothing."

 

Shukera froze as a cold chill traveled down her spine. She gazed at Selphie for a moment, trying to hide her true concern, "Selphie, if you ever figure it out, let me know, ok?"

 

She smiled once again, not seeing the seriousness in Shukera's face. "OK! I will."

 

Shukera wanted to look into the matter closer later on when she could think. Things appeared as though they were worse than she thought. Quickly she changed the subject to something she knew Selphie would be interested in.

 

"So, tell me Selphie, are you single, or are you seeing someone." Shukera figured it was Selphie's favorite subject and would occupy her mind for a bit.

 

Immediately Selphie's face beamed happily, "I am seeing a guy named Irvine. He's a cowboy and a major flirt! But, he's a dream and I really like him!" Selphie gazed at Shukera as she replied, "I am really surprised that you don't have anyone Shukera."

 

Shukera laughed to herself, the girl was persistent. She cursed herself for bringing up that subject again. "Sorry to disappoint you, but I never did. It was always my best friend, my other friend, and I. We were always together. After we parted, my life has been consumed with fighting and training to be the best fighter I could be. It has gotten to where it's all I live for."

 

Selphie couldn't help but laugh, "You sound exactly like Seifer!" She laughed out loud, and then calmed down, "I'm serious. All he has is his two best friends Raijin and Fujin. They stuck with him through his ordeal, even after he went against us."

 

Selphie continued on without missing a beat, "Yeah. But, recently Seifer's attitude changed and Raijin has been on the computer a lot lately."

 

Once again Shukera had that nagging feeling. "What do you mean by changed?" She noted to herself what Selphie said about Raijin. She wondered if she could actually be in the very place her computer friend lived in. There were too many coincidences for her to think otherwise.

 

Selphie shrugged, "I don't know. He was an ass to everyone before, but it's like his attitude is amplified or something."

 

Shukera nodded, "I see." She knew it must be the mako inside him that was making him like he was. There was a deep silence that filled the room, which made Shukera uncomfortable. Selphie appeared to look worried about something, then as soon as it appeared, it was gone, and Selphie was back to her bubbly self. That was quick.

 

Shukera knew by the look on Selphie's face where the conversation was going. Doesn't the girl ever give up? But, what came out next totally surprised her.

 

"You are so different than what I imagined!! But, I can't believe you have no love in your heart. You say that Shukera, and yet, I see something in your eyes. There's a fierceness about you mixed with passion and sincerity. A contradicting mix, I know, yet, its there as plain as day. Who ever it is, someone has your heart, only you don't realize it yet. It's there Shukera, so you can't deny it."

 

Shukera's head swam with confusion. She turned away quickly to hide her eyes. "I…I…don't have time for such things." Uncertainty gripped her heart along with a sudden emptiness. Her mind raced as it became hard to breathe. "What the hell??" She placed her hand on her forehead and rubbed her temples. The memory of Reno's kiss filled her mind once again. Shukera shut her eyes tight, forcing the memory and emotions out of her mind and heart. She gritted her teeth together and placed her hands on the wall. Head lowered, fingers gripping the wall, eyes clutched shut, Shukera spat "I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS!"

 

Selphie stood back surprised by Shukera's reaction. She approached Shukera carefully, and laid her hand on her shoulder. "You alright?"

 

Shukera forced a smile on her face and replied in the coolest tone she could muster, "I'm fine."

 

Selphie shook her head. "You don't look fine. What is it with you and love? Every time I mention the word, you freak out. What's wrong with love? It's something I live for. My life would be empty without my feelings and love for Irvine."

 

Shukera snickered, staring at the wall, "Love. The one emotion I never allowed for. Love makes you vulnerable. It can make you lose track of what's real and cloud your ability to make clear decisions."

 

Selphie lowered her gaze to the floor, feeling sorry for Shukera. She could not imagine anyone living life so empty inside.

 

Shukera heard the girl go suddenly silent and turned around. "Listen, it's not what you think. I'm not a heartless person. It's just back where I'm from people are not as open and friendly as they are here. People are only out to get what they can from you in my world. My world is one of survival. You are strong, no one messes with you, you are weak, and they will eat you alive. There's no room for love or trust in that world. No one from my world can be trusted, and that includes Shin Ra and Sephiroth. Neither one of them definitely can't be trusted."

 

Selphie's eyes widened in wonder as she exclaimed, "Wow you don't trust the people you work for??!"

 

Shukera nodded her head, "Yeah. I don't trust them or Sephiroth. He may be good looking but he has a way of using that knowledge against people."

 

Selphie snickered, "Boy is he in for it!! Quistis has it bad for him. I mean that girl is completely gone over him!!"

 

Shukera replied coldly, "She's the one I feel sorry for."

 

Selphie laughed as Shukera disappeared into the bathroom. She liked the female Soldier, admired her in fact. She found the girl to be shrouded in mystery, which made her intrigued. Selphie made up her mind to find out what was behind the cold eyes of the female Soldier.

 

Shukera wet a face rag in the bathroom and wiped her face with it. She stared at her reflection in the mirror and hated what she saw. Her eyes filled with the pain of her past sins, her face looked shadowed, pale. Shukera pulled her hair back into a ponytail, leaving the bangs out, which fell past her forehead and covered one of her maco laced gray eyes. Her jet-black hair was a serious contrast to her pale white face. Her gaze fixed upon the black cloak of her uniform, which she began to loathe, despise. It was time for a change.