Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Chapter 36

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 36

 

 

Squall placed his hand on his hip and cleared his throat. "Sorry to interrupt, but we made radio contact with a man named Cid Highwind. I hope he's on your team. He swears a lot and was chewing someone out."

 

Shukera laughed, "Yeah he's on our team. He's the pilot of the ship called Highwind. Despite his demeanor, Cid is the best pilot around."

 

Squall nodded, "Well, he's waiting for you on the radio."

 

Shukera followed Squall to the radio room and pressed the button on the console. "This is Shukera, do you read me??" While Shukera was talking on the radio, Squall locked on to their location.

 

Cid came in loud and clear, "Hey kiddo!! Got the gang all here. By the way, what's with this Queenie or Quanta?? Damn!!! What the hell's that girl's name?!?! I dunno some shit like that!! Anyway, we did all we could do to find Aerith and her sista, but we couldn't find either one."

 

Selphie laughed and held her hand over her mouth when she heard Cid swearing on the radio.

 

Shukera replied sadly, "Forget it…I will look for her myself when I get there. Hey look, I'm almost there!! Did you get instructions to pick me up??"

 

Silence. The silence frightened Shukera briefly. Barett finally broke in. "Uh, no. We didn' even know you were commin' till yesterday. We stormed the Shin Ra building afta a tip we got on the streets and stumbled on the info." A long pause and Shukera knew there was more. She held her breath afraid of what was next. "Them rumors `bout that Turk member who was executed is bogus Shukera!! Reno is still alive and has my girl!!"

 

Shukera slammed her hand on the console and spat, "Damn him!!!" She thought for a moment then pressed the button to talk. "Barett!! Change of plans!! Meet me in the forest outside Mideel!! As you know they think we're coming in by Cosmo Canyon. Let them believe we still are and we can surprise them by arriving on foot!!" Suddenly the radar beeped and Shukera nodded, "Got your position Barett!! I'll be there in about seven hours…"

 

Barett cut her off, "Betta wait till dark. Meet us in Mideel in about ten hours."

 

Shukera replied, "Got ya! Oh and Barett, I'm not alone."

 

Barett chuckled, "I knew ya had that Seifer fellow with you!! But yanoe you betta keep a close eye on him!! Shin Ra wants him bad and ya know what that means!!"

 

Shukera glared at the wall angrily, "Yeah I know!! Barett, get some new materia, new weapons, the works. I have seven others who are ready to kick Shin Ra's ass!! Have the group ready to do some serious damage!!!"

 

Barett replied, "You bet ya ass we'll be ready!! See ya in 10 hours!! Just look for the airship, ya can't miss it!! See ya!! Ova and out and all that shit!!"

 

Shukera faced the group. "We have nine hours to prepare for landing."

 

Squall nodded, "Don't worry, we'll be ready."

 

The group disbursed and everyone began tending to the preparations for landing. Seifer ran off to help Squall and Irvine. Shukera stood looking out the window, thinking about what Barett and Cid had said. Selphie walked up behind her and tapped her on the shoulder.

 

"Hey you alright??" With everything that happened, Selphie could tell that Shukera was deeply troubled.

 

Shukera shook her head and sighed, "I'm confused. I don't know what to think about my friend. I know he wouldn't do anything like this. I just wish I knew what was happening over there!"

 

Selphie smiled confidently and asked, "What does your heart tell you??"

 

Her question caught Shukera off guard. She thought about it for a moment then rubbed her head. "I don't know. I never trusted my heart before."

 

Selphie laughed, "You followed your heart when it came to protecting Seifer. Just take a moment and think this thing through. Ask yourself if he would really do something like that and if there is any doubt what so ever, then you will have your answer."

 

Shukera looked away from her as the uncomfortable feeling returned. She forced the issue of Seifer on the back burner to deal with the more important issues. "So many people's lives are at stake. If we trust one flaky person everyone will be exposed. I don't know who's on my side anymore…" She took in a deep breath to slow her racing heart. "I'm really concerned for the ones who are working on the inside. My own brother…" Shukera stopped and shook her head. "Selphie I never thought about it… My brother…he's the only one who knew what we were doing. He knew our every move. I have to ask Seifer who Sephiroth's contact from home was!!"

 

Shukera darted out of the area and ran down the corridor that led to the loading area where Seifer was sharpening his gunblade. He looked up at her when he saw her approaching but his smile faded when he saw the look on her face. Shukera stopped directly in front him and folded her arms.

 

"I have a very important question to ask you and you better answer me honestly!!"

 

The sudden abruptness in Shukera's voice confused Seifer. He looked up at her and nodded, "Ok what is it??"

 

"What was the name of Sephiroth's contact while he was in Balamb??"

 

Seifer looked away from her sadly. Shukera's expression changed to one of alarm. "What is it Seifer??"

 

Seifer just stared at the floor without saying anything.

 

Shukera snapped, "It's my brother isn't it??? Tell me damn it!!! It's Reeve isn't it?!?!"

 

Slowly he shook his head and looked up at the ceiling. "Yeah, it was him."

 

For a moment everything just stopped around Shukera. She gasped for breath and pointed her finger at him. Gritting her teeth she snapped, "You mean you knew this all along and didn't tell me??? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU HAVE DONE?!?!"

 

Seifer sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "I didn't know how to tell you Shukera. Besides, would you have believed me??"

 

Shukera grabbed Seifer's collar with both hands and shouted, "They have my friend!!! They are using him to catch the others!!! This is not some game Seifer!! People are going to die!!!"

 

She drew back her fist to hit him but Raijin caught her arm. He had walked into the area in time to see Shukera grab Seifer by the collar. Raijin dragged Shukera out of there as she became hysterical.

 

Seifer went back to sharpening his gunblade. "Her friend…he must mean a lot to her."

 

Selphie interrupted him, "And so do you!! She has risked everything including her friend to come here and protect you!! Don't give up on her now!! Just be there and help her straighten this mess out!!"

 

Seifer brushed off his gunblade and rested it on his shoulder. "I guess you are right."

 

Together they made their way to the cockpit where Shukera was frantically trying to reach Barett on the radio and Raijin standing closely behind her. Finally after about 10 minutes Barett answered. Shukera relayed all the new information to him including Reno being on their side along with all the other Turks. After Barett told her they haven't seen any of the Turks since Reno was caught, she slammed her hands on the console.

 

"That's it!!! This is getting too dangerous!! I'm coming in now!!"

 

Barett chuckled, "Ya, I knew ya would! We're already waitin' for ya."

 

Shukera laughed, "Got ya! Be there in about 45 minutes!!" She turned to the digital map on the screen and pointed to Mideel. "We are meeting them here." A red dot blinked on the screen showing their location.

 

Nida nodded and began the descent to the foreign world. The ship vibrated a bit as they entered the atmosphere of the planet. Shukera blew past Seifer and ran to check on her equipment. Seifer followed her worried and concerned. He knew she was very pissed with him and probably wouldn't even talk to him. But, he tried despite going against his better judgment.

 

"I wanted to check on you and to say I'm sorry for not telling you. I really thought it was just Sephiroth saying that to throw me off guard."

 

Shukera wiped her eyes and stared at him for a moment. "It's not just you. It was my suggestion that he go with them in the first place. I really screwed that up… Now Reno and Marlene are there with them…there's no telling what the hell Shin Ra is doing to them…" She fought hard to hold back the tears.

 

Raijin walked up and folded his arms. "Then we fight our way in, take them back, and blow them to hell and back, ya know."

 

Shukera smiled when she saw Raijin. "Hey, sounds like a plan to me!" She made a fist and topped Raijin's fist with hers. "Yeah!"

 

Seifer glanced at Fujin who walked up to them. She kept her distance, which made Seifer feel uncomfortable.

 

"Raij thanks. I…you have been a great help in all this." She hugged him and stepped back from him.

 

"It ain't over yet, ya know." He squeezed Shukera's shoulder and walked out the room with Fujin.

 

Shukera stared where Raijin disappeared and smiled. She jumped when Seifer rubbed her shoulder. "It's time to get ready." Coldly she brushed him off, walked over to her things and began gathering them for the landing.

 

Seifer followed her and slipped a ring off of his finger. "I can see that you are torn between your friend and me, it's in your eyes. Search your heart and tell me whom you see in there. Until you do, hold on to this. If you choose me, I want you to keep it. If not, you can return it. It's a reminder that I'm here for you no matter what happens."

 

Shukera reluctantly took the ring and hung it on her chain with her stone. Seifer smiled, "I am behind you all the way Shukera!!"

 

She nodded, "I promise I will search my heart honestly. I'm protecting you so don't leave my side…not even for a moment!!"

 

Selphie's voice thundered over the radio. "WHOOO HOOOO We're here!!!! Prepare for landing!!"

 

Shukera nodded to Seifer, "Let's go kick some Shin Ra ass!!!! Time to end this once and for all!!!" She picked up her sword and left the area with Seifer not far behind her.