Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Chapter 57

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 57

 

 

Once the Shin Ra building and all it's people were gone, the group began celebrating. Cloud and his friends stared at Aerith's spirit in shock. Aerith smiled as she faced them, "Please, do not mourn for me. I have done what I have returned to do. Now the world is yours to enjoy. You can go on living, in peace."

 

Cloud stepped forward and replied with tears in his eyes. "Aerith…you…what are you talking about?? You deserve to enjoy this peace with us."

 

Next to him Tifa cried, "Its not fair Aerith!! You belong with us!!"

 

Aerith brought her hands to her chest and smiled, "I am where I belong. I have found my promised land. You are free to live your lives the way you wish."

 

Barett looked on but had no understanding of what was happening. All he knew was Aerith had died again and yet she stood before them speaking to them. This was defiantly over his head. He scratched his head as he replied, "I don't know what to say…"

 

Selphie wiped her tears from her eyes. "Thank you. I can't thank you enough. Shukera and you saved our home." She bowed to Aerith and looked down at Shukera. "But what will happen to Shukera?? Is she going to die as well??"

 

Aerith shook her head, "She has much to do yet. Don't worry, Shukera will return when she's ready. But in the mean time…" She extended her hand out to Sephiroth's lifeless body. "Sephiroth come, its time for us to rest." A pale green light formed around Sephiroth's body as he stood up and looked around confused. "What's…going on??" He looked at Aerith and understood. "I see…" Aerith stepped towards Selphie and grasped her hands. "Please take care of Shukera."

 

Selphie nodded, "Don't worry we will." Tears fell from her cheek as she stepped back from Aerith.

 

Cloud glanced at Tifa then back to Aerith and Sephiroth. Tifa replied through her tears, "Rest in peace, the both of you. I know you deserve it."

 

Bethany turned around and stared at Aerith and Sephiroth through tear filled eyes. She reached her arms up to them as she cried, "MOMMY!!! DADDY!!!!" The child tried to grab hold of Aerith, but she only went through her and fell on the ground behind her. Crying she sat up wiping her eyes, "I WANY MY MOMMY!!!"

 

Tears dropped from Selphie's cheeks as she walked over to the child and helped her to her feet. She took the tiny girl into her arms and carried her to see Aerith.

 

Aerith reached out a ghostly hand and caressed the child's cheek. "Now listen to me Bethany. You have to be strong for me ok?? Your father and I have to go away; but don't worry, you will not be alone. You have your whole life ahead of you. Live it happily and remember, we will always be watching over you, no matter where you are." She passed her hand over Bethany's hair and kissed her forehead. When she parted from the child, she was fast asleep in Selphie's arms. She then stepped away from Selphie and took Sephiroth's hands into hers and smiled at him. "Finally, we can go home. Come with me Sephiroth. Come with me to the Promised Land." They wrapped their arms around each other and disappeared.

 

Shukera became lost in the foggy surroundings, confused and distraught. It was her materia that wiped out all those people in a flash. She was the one who harbored such a destructive power. She brought her hands to her head and dropped to her knees sobbing.

 

From out of nowhere a soft voice called out to her. Shukera lifted her head and looked around until her gaze fell upon an undistinguished figure approaching her. Shukera blinked as she watched the figure get closer until it stood before her and held out her hand.

 

"My dear child, this is no place for you."

 

Shukera's eyes widened when she realized it was her mother standing before her. She jumped to her feet and wrapped her arms around her mother tightly. "I'm sorry…I never got to meet you. They took my memories away…"

 

Ifalna smiled and stroked her hair. "They are gone now my child, don't keep them alive by harboring ill feelings towards them about the past. Let them stay where they are, never to bother anyone again."

 

Before Shukera could replay a brown-headed woman wearing a lab coat and glasses walked up to them. She seemed to be searching for something frantically. The woman stopped and in a frail voice asked, "Have you seen my dear child Sephiroth?? I can't seem to find him anywhere." She brought her hands up to her face and sobbed.

 

Ifalna walked up to her and gently laid her hand upon the woman's shoulder. "It's going to be alright. Come, you do not belong here." She held her hand out for the woman to accept it. The woman grasped her hand and stood up.

 

"I…don't belong here??" She shook her head, "That's not logical. My body stopped functioning, my heart no longer beats, my brain no longer analyses…I am technically dead."

 

"Dead??" Shukera thought. "So that's where I am…limbo." She looked down towards her feet but saw nothing but fog. "Maybe this is where I belong for all the crimes I have committed."

 

Ifalna grabbed Shukera's hand. "You have come for her, I know. She is ready to return to the place we belong."

 

Shukera nodded and grasped Lucrecia's hands. "Everyone is waiting." She looked around the fog filled place and felt tied to it. She wondered if it was right for her to return after all she had done. She closed her eyes as a tear escaped them and ran down her cheek.

 

A blinding pale green light engulfed Shukera's body. The light intensified for a moment, then blinked out. When the light cleared, Lucrecia appeared at Shukera's side.

 

Vincent traded a glance with Cid and knelt down next to Lucrecia. "There's no way this is real." He reached out to touch her half expecting his hand to go through her. When it didn't he closed his eyes and sighed with relief. "Lucrecia…" He reached down and caressed her face as he smiled. "After all these years…you have returned!!"

 

Selphie pointed to Shukera and shouted, "Look!! Her face!! It's…different!!"

 

Zell and Yuffie traded a glance and watched to see what was going to happen next. By this time they had joined Irvine, Squall, and Selphie. At the moment they felt like they didn't belong.

 

Slowly Lucrecia opened her eyes and reached out to Vincent. She caressed his face as he placed his hand on top of hers. "Lucrecia…" She caught a tear that ran down his cheek on to her finger as a tear ran down her own cheek. "Vincent…" He pulled her into his arms and held her tightly.

 

Selphie stood a little away from Shukera as she held the sleeping child, sobbing as she leaned against Irvine for support. Irvine held his arms around Selphie and tried to console her.

 

Behind them the celebration continued on as everyone cheered and danced, hollered and hugged. It was a joyous celebration for all. Few people cried out of joy at the sight of the missing building, happy to be free, others hugged each other and laughed. One lady stopped and pointed at the sky as she commented, "I have never seen the stars in the night sky before." Everyone marveled in the victory over Shin Ra.