Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Chapter 59

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 59

 

 

Raijin lifted Shukera up into his arms and began walking back towards the airship. Harris stopped before him and asked, "What should we do now??" Raijin just looked at him and passed him by.

 

Squall stopped and nodded, "Shukera and Aerith risked their lives saving this planet. It's up to you and your group to protect it. Make sure that no one repeats the Shin Ra mistakes. Preserve the land and keep people from taking over. Back on our world we have groups called Gardens. We train fighters and it's our duty to protect the people of the world. Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to create places like that here."

 

Zell and Yuffie passed him and stopped. Zell winked at Yuffie, then faced Harris. "I have decided to remain here. If you want, I can help you design the places and show you how they do things."

 

Harris nodded, "That would be great!!"

 

Zell faced Squall. "Sorry to break it to you like this, but I'm staying here. I think I will be able to help them out. I…"

 

Squall nodded and saluted Zell. "Good luck."

 

Rinoa hugged Zell and smiled, "Hey, we're gonna miss ya!!" She faced Yuffie and laughed, "Better take care of him. He's a hyper guy, but he has a heart of gold. He will be a great asset to you guys."

 

Zell began punching the air, "You bet!!!" He offered them a wave and ran off into the crowd with Yuffie.

 

Raijin began walking through the group of guys who worked for Shukera. As he passed, they came to attention and saluted her. Raijin nodded at them and continued to make his way back to the ship.

 

Not too far behind him, Seifer and Fujin followed. They remained silent and somber as they walked back to the ship. Neither one knew what to say or do. They minds weighed heavy with their thoughts of what to do next and decisions they knew they had to make. So much happened, so much they didn't remember. The lost memories only made them feel even more awkward.

 

Raijin stopped at the ramp of the ship and cleared his throat. He began nervously as people began gathering around to hear what he was going to say. Speaking publicly was not his thing, but he knew Shukera would want him to say something. "Remember always what Aerith and Shukera did here tonight, ya know!! Never repeat the crimes that Shin Ra committed against the world. Good luck to you all, and take care, ya know!!!!" He turned away from them with Shukera in his arms as the crowd burst into a thunderous roar. Raijin disappeared into the ship leaving the cheering crowd behind him.

 

Tifa and Cloud stood on the deck of the ship watching everyone. It filled them with great joy to see everyone so happy and free. She leaned against him as he draped an arm around her shoulders.

 

Vincent hugged Lucrecia as they watched the crowd. He spotted Squall and Rinoa going back to the ship and smiled. "I think we have a lot of catching up to do." Lucrecia smiled as she nodded. "Yes I know we do." He walked towards Selphie and Irvine. "It's been rather eventful to say the least."

 

Selphie smiled, "We couldn't stand back and watch what was going on here without doing something about it. Shukera showed us the evils that Shin Ra was bestowing on you and we couldn't let it go on."

 

Irvine nodded, "Yeah, not like us to just stand back and miss all the action."

 

Vincent chuckled and nodded. "Take care." He walked away and paused when he passed Barett. "Take care man. I'm…going to stay here. Tell Cloud I'll catch up with him soon." He waved and disappeared into the crowd with Lucrecia.

 

Barett took in a deep breath and grinned widely. "This is the moment I've lived for!!! What a sight!!"

 

Cid walked up behind him and chuckled. "Now what you gonna do old man??"

 

Barett spun around and laughed, "Speak for yaself geezer!!!" He became serious as he turned back towards the celebrating crowd. "Biggs, Wedge, Jesse…they would've loved to see this sight."

 

Cid placed his hand on Barett's shoulder. "I'm gonna bring Shukera to Cosmo Canyon. If you want…I can swing back later to pick you up. You earned this moment. Don't piss me off, go and enjoy it!!"

 

Barett didn't have to think twice as he walked off into the crowd. Cid waved and laughed, "See ya old timer." He walked back to the ship and prepared for their next trip.

 

Elena waved at Reno and Rude as T-seng hugged her. She had a feeling that they were not going to see either of them for a long time. She whispered, "Good bye Reno…good luck." T-seng wrapped his arms around Elena and hugged her tightly, thankful that he wasn't killed along with all the other Shin Ra trash. They joined Barett in the crowd and watched everyone celebrate.

 

Selphie and Irvine walked back to the ship together. Neither one of them spoke a word. The sadness gripped their hearts and almost became unbearable. She hugged the child to her chest. Her heart went out to the little girl. Deep down she knew Shukera would end up taking her…if she lived. Balamb Garden would make the perfect home for Bethany. Seeing the child's sleeping peaceful face brought a smile to her own lips. "Let's go help Shukera Irvine."

 

Cid fired up the airship and it slowly lifted off the ground. Out on the deck, Cloud and Tifa spotted Barett and waved. Barett waved back until they were too high up to see him. The ship sped away towards Cosmo Canyon and disappeared on the horizon as Cloud drew Tifa into his arms and kissed her.

 

Behind the group, Rude and Reno had snuck on the ship. They found a spot on the deck away from everyone and stared down into the crowd. Reno chuckled, "Looks like we're out of a job." Rude only nodded, his staotic mask fixed on the celebrating crowd. It was true, Shin Ra was gone, but deep down inside, he was relieved. Working for Scarlet nearly drove him insane!!