Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ love (`luv) n: ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Yes, boys and girls, it's that time again, to remind everyone, what? I don't own Final Fantasy IX! Oh yeah, and 'Don't Speak' belongs to No Doubt and Gwen Stefani.
-------------------------------------------------------

love (`luv) n:
By Trick Sparrow

Chapter 5


All I thought to do was run. It had begun to rain, but I could have cared less. It was pouring by the time I reached the aircab station, whereupon I waited impatiently inside the machine for it to reach its destination in the Theater District.

You and me
We used to be together
Every day together
Always

I stumbled out of the aircab and raced down the slippery cobblestone street to Tantalus headquarters. Completely oblivious to the fact that I was drenched, I rapped on the heavy doors as hard as I could.

I really feel
That I'm losing my best friend
I can't believe this could be
The end

The door swung open, and Marcus stood inside, shocked. "Mikoto, you're soaked to the bone! Come in quick, you're going to catch--"

"Where is Blank?" I demanded, interrupting him.

He looked down at the floor, avoiding my eyes. "He left. I'm so sorry, Miki, but I have no idea where he is."

It looks as though
You're letting go
And if it's real, well I don't want to know

Fear and dread washed over me like a murky black wave. I could no longer hear Marcus, whom I assumed was still talking, and could no longer feel the fat raindrops pummeling my head, neck, and shoulders. Blank was gone. I would never see his sweet, crooked smile again.

Don't speak
I know just what you're saying
So please stop explaining
Don't tell me 'cause it hurts

"--something about the Bella Piccola, whatever that means--"

"What did you say!?" I asked, scarcely believing my ears.

Marcus blinked. "Blank said something about the Bella Piccola before he left, but I didn't know what he was talking about."

Don't speak
I know what you're thinking
I don't need your reasons
Don't tell me 'cause it hurts

Hope began to swell in my heart; more than I dared possess. I hugged Marcus gratefully and headed back out into the rain-slicked street. "Thank you, Marcus!" I called, running back to the airstation.

Our memories
They can be inviting
But some are altogether mighty
Frightening

Sprinting down the corridors of Lindblum castle, I prayed that Blank had not taken off in the airship. He had mentioned at one time that he used to pilot one of the regent's ships, the Blue Narciss, so I knew he had enough experience to fly the gondola. I just hoped he had not done so.

As we die
Both you and I
With my head in my hands, I sit and cry

When I arrived, breathless, at the airstation, I was relieved to see the Bella Piccola anchored to the catwalk, hovering regally even in the pouring rain. And there, at the bow, soaked from head to toe, stood my dear, sweet--

"Blank."

Don't speak
I know just what you're saying
So please stop explaining
Don't tell me 'cause it hurts

He turned at the sound of my voice. As I remained on the catwalk, unmoving under his hidden scrutiny, he finally spoke. "You're drenched, Mikoto."

I smiled, my eyes filling with tears. "I might say the same of you."

Blank continued to stare at me.

"Can I come aboard?" I asked quietly.

He shrugged, almost imperceptibly, and I took this as an affirmative response. I climbed onto the airship and made my way to the bow, where Blank had now sat down unceremoniously on the wet deck. I figured I could not get any wetter, so I sat down at his side.

After an achingly long silence, Blank said, "It hurts to look at you."

Don't speak
I know what you're thinking
And I don't need your reasons
Don't tell me 'cause it hurts

His words cut into me like a sharp sickle. "Oh, Blank, I wish you knew how sorry I am," I groaned, closing my eyes. "But I realize that you would not forgive me, even if you *did* know." I took a deep, shuddering breath. "I am such a fool."

Suddenly I felt a cold hand cup itself over mine. I opened my eyes to see Blank smiling at me. That adorable uneven smile. "That's not what I meant," he said softly. "It hurts to look at you because of who I am. You're so frustratingly beautiful-- my 'bella piccola'. When I look in the mirror, I wonder why in God's name you would want to be with me."

I slid my wet arms around his neck, thanking the powers that be that my Blank was returned to me safely. Not daring to let go, I asked, "Do you care about me?"

He drew me closer to him, rubbing my back. "Of course I do, Miki."

"Do you trust me?" I asked, pressing my cold cheek to his.

"Yes."

I squeezed my eyes shut, bracing for the impending reaction: "Then please tell me who you are."



----------------------

Man, did I have fun writing this chapter!
-Sparrow