Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ More Than Words ❯ More than Words ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
More than Words
A FF7 Fan Fic
By
Lady Aoi

Summary: Rude's thoughts as he pines for a certain co-worker...
Paring: Vaguely Elena/Rude
Rating: PG for a little language, angst
Spoilers: Not really.
Disclaimer: I don't own Rude, Reno, Tseng or Elena… Square does. I don't own Square either. There are many things I don't own. A working car is one of them.
Lady Aoi's Notes: Wow, a one shot! And a short one! How unusual for me. I'm now playing Rude in a Final Fantasy Seven RPG, so I'm writing this partially to get a better grasp for his character. I think I understand Elena a lot better than I do him O.o;. Comments and suggestions are always appreciated.

~*~

I'm not a big fan of words. Even when I'm just sitting here thinking them to myself. I guess it's because they don't really mean a damn thing in the end. Someone says, 'See ya at the bar at eight sharp, bro'. They never show up. Someone says, 'You're a valuable member of this team'. They fire you the next day. Sometimes someone even says 'you mean everything to me'. Or even worse; 'I love you'. And then all hell breaks loose.

Maybe you'd know what I'm talking about. You tried so hard to do everything right when you got promoted. Hell, you're still out there busting your ass every morning following Rufus' orders to a T while Tseng, Reno and me are still in bed. I know Reno rags on you and Tseng can be harsh sometimes, but they don't mean anything by it. They just don't understand how clued in you really are. See, you know that just standing there and shooting your mouth off about all the crap you're planning on doing doesn't mean jack unless you actually get off your ass and do it. That's more than I can say for Reno. If I had a gil for every word that guy spouts off, I could buy you something real nice. Like that broach you liked in Wutai. Instead, I only have words. Meaningless words that don't do anything but make me hurt like hell.

I wonder if that's why I found you in that playground twelve years ago. You know the one. It has a merry-go-round and a slippery slide that looks like an Elephant. I think it's in Sector Six. I walked past it every day on my way home from my paper rout and didn't think anything of it. I had to help Dad make ends meet, and I didn't have time to mess around on playgrounds. But the day we met, I remember walking by and wondering why the place seemed so unusually… quiet. Normally there'd be some kid there playing in the sandbox, or maybe you'd hear a growl from a car sometimes. But today nothing moved. And I had to investigate.

It wasn't long before I just… I just got this feeling that I should climb up into the slide. And sure enough, there you were. A little blonde girl in a stained dress. You were huddled up against the wall holding a ratty stuffed mog. You were too scared to cry. You didn't tell me that. I just knew it. The look in your eyes and the bruises on your arm told me. But you weren't scared when I came over to you. Maybe it was because I wasn't much taller than you, so you knew I wouldn't hit you with enough force to hurt, like those grown-ups did. I think it was because you just knew, too. That some grown up had hit me recently; that I'd gone to bed hungry last night; that some kid had just stolen half my wages. Whatever. The thing is, you just let me hug you and you hugged back. And then you moved away, smiled and said "My name is Elena. Elena Marshall. Who're you?"

"Rude," I said.

"That's a weird name," you said. Then you wrinkled up your nose all cute like that. You still thought it was weird when I said that wasn't my real name. Just some name my family called me because I wouldn't answer when they yelled. "Hey, Rude! You speak when you're spoken to, got it?!" "Hey, Rude! You better answer me!" They didn't get that maybe some people didn't like being yelled at like a dog that just pissed on the floor. But you didn't yell at me for being weird. You just accepted me. And then we left the playground and stole some food from that restaurant in Wall Market. Just like we'd been best friends forever. It was fine that you talked a lot. You didn't demand. Not my opinion, not my submission… just my ears. And I didn't mind listening. Not about how your father threw cooking oil on your step mom last night or about how he almost broke your arm when you tried to fight him off. I didn't say it at the time, but that was really brave of you. Next time Reno bitches at you to "toughen up, you're a Turk now" maybe I should tell him you put your old man in the ICU. Nah. He wouldn't get it.


But Reno does get some things. I think he knows, or at least suspects. The other day at Gongaga you were right behind us when he asked me to tell him who I liked. He had that look in his eyes, too. The one he gets right before he makes someone's life hell. That's why, when he asked, I just said the first person's name I could think of. Tifa. Sure she's cute but she's nothing like you. You're brave, and talented, and cute, and smart and funny as all hell. Like that play you wrote and performed with your stuffed mog. I never laughed so hard. Even if you were only eleven. I know I don't laugh much, even when I'm drunk off my ass. But every time you crack one of those corny jokes or do that impression of Hojo where you do that walk... hell, 'Lena, I'm all sunshine inside.

God… if I said that to Reno he'd laugh his ass off from here all the way back to HQ. You'd probably laugh, too. It's stupid, really. Because you didn't lie to us at Gongaga. You just told it like it was: me and Reno are your buddies, and you like Tseng. Shit, I knew that. I *knew* that! But hell, why'd I say Tifa?

That night, I thought how easy it would be to kill Tseng. Just pick up a rock, smash his head in and hide the body in the ruins. I'm a Turk. I coulda pulled it off easy. Too easy. I could have broke your heart in half just like that.

I guess the reason I don't tell you is just that. Words really don't mean anything, but they mess things up. They mess people up. And if I said anything with you feeling like you do for Tseng... maybe you'd forgive me someday. But you wouldn't forget it. You just don't forget it when your buddy says those three shitty little words. So, then what? You'd sit between Reno and Tseng when we go to bars? You'd stop laughing and talking whenever I walk into the room? Shit like this happens when people talk, 'Lena. And besides, what the hell would my telling you fix? It won't make you happy and it won't change the way you feel. And god, I just… you had a hell of a life growing up. A hell of a time getting into the Turks, too. If there's anyone that deserves a happy future it's you, 'Lena. Tseng's a bit cold sometimes but he's a good guy. And when he pulls his head out of his ass and sees what a catch you are, he'll come around. He may not be able to deal with his feelings sometimes, but he's not stupid.

But sometimes I just wish…

I just wish that all your wishes come true. And that you'll invite me to the wedding. Reno'll probably get you something stupid like edible underwear, so I'll have to balance him out. Maybe by then I'll have enough money to get you something as special as you are. I just hope someday when you show that broach to your kids that you tell them it was a present from Uncle Rude.

Now, those words would really mean something to me.