Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ My Hero ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters from FFVII, so if you track me down, Squaresoft, don't sue me.

MY HERO


"...I can't tell you."
Probably the four most repeated words in Vincent Valentine's vocabulary. Even though I've never admitted it to anyone, the man always fascinated me. He was always so mysterious and withdrawn. He used to be one of the Turks, so I guess he has a reason to keep his past to himself.
I just wished he'd share his feelings with me once in a while. We've never really had a "good" relationship, and what I did in Wutai probably didn't help any. God, I was so stupid. I'm surprised they still let me go with them. Cid sure was mad. But Vincent just stared at me with his tortured red eyes. I saw disappointment in them. Ever since then, I've tried to tell myself I don't love him, that it's just a stupid crush. I mean, he's eleven years older than me, technically forty-one. Plus he's still hung up on that one chick, Lucrecia. But my stupid heart won't listen to my brain.
So this is where my story begins. If anyone has to go to the bathroom, go before I start.

It happened a little while after the last battle with Sephiroth. We all decided to treat ourselves to a trip to Gold Saucer. That kind of fruity stuff doesn't interest Vincent, so he said he was going out to the desert to battle some monsters.
Tifa Lockhart and I were taking turns shooting hoops, and she watched my eyes follow Vincent out of the room. She smirked at me. "I figured you were too young to be looking at someone like that, Yuffie."
"Whaaat!?" I exclaimed. "What are you talking about?"
"I saw the way you were staring at Vincent," she said, leaning in close. "Could it be that you've fallen for our dear vampire?"
"No way, he's like, a million years older than me," I replied defensively. "And he's not a vampire." I shrugged. "I just think he's hot."
"Riiight," she said, looking at me sideways. "I'm going on the roller coaster. Catch you later!" She started to leave, but looked back over her shoulder. "Yuffie Valentine doesn't sound that bad, though."
I groaned and flung the basketball at the hoop angrily. It bounced off with a loud pwing! I looked at the door Vincent had gone through, smiling involuntarily. *Yuffie Valentine,* I thought. *That DOES sound good.*

That night we all met at the cheesy haunted house-themed hotel. I was supposed to be sharing a room with Vincent and Red XIII, but Vincent hadn't come back yet. I was starting to worry, and Red noticed as I paced back and forth across the candle-lit room.
"What's wrong?" he asked, his flaming tail beginning to swish in time with my steps.
"It's eleven forty-five," I replied, checking the wall clock for, I don't know, the bazillionth time. "Why isn't Vincent back yet?"
Red's eye widened. "Why, Yuffie Kisaragi! You're actually concerned about someone other than yourself?"
I stopped pacing and put my hands on my hips. "Hey, shut your trap, Nanaki. I'd be worried if any of you guys were missing, even crusty, foul-mouthed Cid!" I looked out the window that overlooked the desert, past the graveyard. "I'm going out to look for him."
He leapt to the door and sat down. "Now that's one thing I'm not letting you do," he said sternly. "It's dangerous out there, especially at night. We don't want the both of you lost in the desert."
"But he--"
"Not another word, Yuffie. I'm serious, and I'm sleeping by the door tonight. If you want to commit suicide by leaving, you'll have to get past me." He curled up in a ball and closed his eye.
Stupid Red XIII and his concern for me. I sat down in one of the chairs, so I'd be awake if Vincent came back. *God, Vincent,* I thought miserably. *Why do you have to make me such a basketcase over you?* I was normal until I met him, sleeping in a coffin in the basement of the Shinra mansion in Nibelheim. From the moment I saw him lying there, so dark and filled with angst, I was drawn to him. What made him the way he was? And why was he always on my mind?
I snapped out of my trance as Red began to snore. I knew I wouldn't be able to get past him, so I pulled a length of rope out of my pack and tied it to the bed post. Throwing the other end out the window, I picked up my bag and my shuriken and climbed over the side.

I trudged through the desert for hours, battling monsters and trying to keep warm. I called out Vincent's name, not caring if I attracted more creatures. Finally I collapsed from exhaustion and defeat, my legs weak and my mouth dry. I began to sob, cursing myself for risking everything to look for a person who couldn't care less about me.
My vision blurred, I couldn't have known what was coming fast at me. I blinked and screamed as a giant sand worm lunged its huge tooth-lined mouth at my head. I rolled to the side and dodged it, but when I tried to stand up, my legs were to shaky to support me, and I fell back to the ground. I knew it was the end, so I squeezed my eyes shut and waited for it.
Suddenly a loud gunshot and a pained squall from the worm penetrated the night air. I opened my eyes to see Vincent Valentine standing in front of me, protecting me. The sand worm was dead, and I saw Vincent's rifle smoking. His red cloak blew almost heroically in the desert breeze.
He knelt down in front of me and put his hand on my shoulder. "Are you all right?" he asked gently.
I nodded, speechless. He had just saved my life. As he pulled me to my feet, I fell against him and cried uncontrollably on his chest. "I thought you were dead," I sobbed, hugging him tightly.
Unsure of what to do, he wrapped his arms around me, careful not to scratch me with his metal claw. "It's all right, I'm not dead," he assured. "But you are very lucky you're not. Why did you come out her alone, Yuffie?"
"You know why," I said, sniffling. "I was worried about you."
He rubbed my back lightly, comforting me. Little did he know it was making my heart beat like a bird's. "That was very sweet of you," he said. "But you should know better than to come out here at night with no one else. You're smarter than that."
I smiled, half-listening. I breathed to the rhythm of his hands, tracing up and down my back.
He rubbed my back one last time. "Let's find somewhere else to rest for tonight. I don't especially want to sleep next to a dead invertebrate."
I laughed and tried to stand up by myself. Once again, I started to fall. Vincent caught me under my arms and helped me back up.
"Hold on to my neck," he told me, and I obeyed. We walked in silence until we found the abandoned caryard. He pointed to a rusted pickup, and we walked over to the cab and climbed inside.
As he shut the door, I curled up on the battered seat, shivering. He noticed and took off his cape, draping it over me. "Thank you," I said softly.
"Don't mention it," he replied, closing his beautiful, ruby-colored eyes.
"No, I mean, for everything," I continued. "For saving my life, for helping me here. No one's ever looked out for me like that."
He put a clawed finger to his lips. "Sleep, Yuffie. You need it."
I gazed at him one last time, noticing how good his muscles looked through his tight black shirt, before I finally fell asleep.

I woke up early the next morning feeling warm and safe. As I slowly opened my eyes, I found that Vincent's arms were around me, and his head hung limp against my shoulder. I smiled and snuggled closer to him, having experienced no greater feeling than being in his arms.
Looking at the sleeping man, his long, silky black hair draped across his face, I realized that Vincent Valentine, though there was so little I knew about him, was my hero. My hero. I never thought I'd say that about anyone, but it was true. He was the person I looked up to the most, even more than Cloud. He remained a good person, despite his dark past, and I admired him for that.
My hero groaned and opened his eyes. He slowly looked up at me and jerked away. "Sorry," he muttered, rubbing his eyes. "You started shivering violently during the night, so I thought, maybe the body heat..."
I shrugged, grinning. "You did a good job." I looked outside the cracked windshield. "Think it's light enough to start heading back?"
"I think so," he replied, nodding. "The others are probably worried." We climbed out of the truck and began the long trek back to Gold Saucer.
I began to laugh after a while, and Vincent looked at me, puzzled.
"What is it?"
"I can hear Cid yelling at Red XIII now: 'You stupid *&^$# cat! You let that brat go out by herself!?' He wouldn't let me go look for you."
"You should have listened to him."
"What, I'm not good company?" I asked.
"No, you are," he said. "If I have to be stranded in the desert with anyone, I'm glad it's you."
I blushed. "Really?"
He smiled, a very rare occasion for Vincent. "You wouldn't want to be out here with Cait Sith, would you?"
"Definitely not," I said, laughing. We kept walking until finally I could make out the outline of the desert prison on the horizon. We said nothing, but we both knew the only way into Gold Saucer was through there.

"Hey, pretty thing, what are you doing in a place like this?"
"Get lost, pervert," I retorted to the inmate in disgust. Everyone had been surprised to see two people jump the fence from OUTSIDE the prison. Most of them whistled at me, and I stayed close to Vincent, revolted beyond belief.
The man remained unfazed by my remark. "Come here, you little desert fox," he said, advancing on me.
I responded by spinning in a circle and kicking him in the neck. He went sprawling onto the dirt, rubbing the quickly forming bruise. "Anyone else see a fox anywhere?" I asked, challenging the others.
The inmates muttered and went back to their earlier activities. Vincent patted me on the shoulder. "I think they got the picture. I'm going to talk to the boss and see if he'll take us to the top. Will you be all right by yourself?"
"Of course," I replied. I sat down on an old tire as Vincent walked to one of the trailers. I remained there, swinging my legs, when suddenly I felt cold metal against my neck. I gasped as a large, muscular arm gripped my throat and twisted me around.
"Scream or cast magic and I'll cut your pretty throat, little fox," said the man I had kicked, his teeth clenched. I kicked my legs in protest as the burly inmate dragged me behind a crumpled shed. I begged for someone to pass along and help me.
As if my prayers were being answered, I heard Vincent's voice faintly. "The boss agreed to take us to the top. ...Yuffie?" My hero's voice became more apprehensive. "Yuffie!? Where are you? Yuffie!"
I tried to cry out, but my assailant's hand was tight around my throat. I could feel my face becoming hot from blood rushing to it, and my vision was beginning to grow dark at the edges.
I began to lose consciousness, and felt my body going slack. Suddenly I saw Vincent running up to me. "Yuffie!!!" he cried. His eyes began to glow a fiery red, and light exploded from him at all sides. Gradually he morphed into the fearsome winged demon, Chaos, and let out an enraged, ear-piercing shriek.
The rest wasn't clear, but I remember my attacker letting go of me and backing away. A beam of energy shot from Vincent, and then next thing I saw was the inmate, lying dead in the dirt.
Vincent returned to his original form and collapsed on the ground, exhausted. I crawled over to him, trying to catch my breath, and lifted his head onto my lap.
"Vincent..." I said softly, blinking back tears. "You saved me again."
He looked up at me and smiled weakly. "I guess I just always show up at the right time."
I brushed his hair out of his damp face and kissed his cheek. "My hero."

A few weeks later, we all met at Cloud and Tifa's house in Nibelheim to celebrate Barret's thirty-sixth birthday. After the presents had been opened and the cake had been cut, we all sat together around the fireplace, happy to be reunited.
After a while Vincent stood up and put on his red cloak.
"Where the ^#$%! are you going so late?" exclaimed Cid.
"Out to get some battle practice," he replied, heading out the door. "You coming, Yuffie?"
I blinked, surprised. "Yeah, okay!" Grinning, I jumped up and grabbed my shuriken. I followed him out the door, and I heard Cloud behind me call out,
"Your face is red, Yuffie!"
I stuck my tongue out at him. "Shut up, Cloudy!"
As I ran to catch up to Vincent, I was well aware that he would never reciprocate the feelings I had for him. He thought of me as his battle partner and teenaged companion. Nothing more.
I caught up with him, and he looked over at me and smiled. *But,* I thought, smiling back at him, *I love you anyway, Vincent Valentine. And you will always be my hero.*

--------------------

Awww! Did you like it? I really like both Yuffie and Vincent, and I enjoy reading fanfics about them pairing up. But I'm pretty sure Vincent would never go for her, (too immature) so I decided to write one where she has feelings for him, but he doesn't share them. Not the way some people would do it, but still. Did it give you a warm, fuzzy feeling? Comments are appreciated!

-Trick Sparrow