Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ My Shooting Star ❯ My Shooting Star ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: Do be do be do, don't own Final Fantasy or Michele Branch, too. ::Insert stupid grin::
My Shooting Star
A Shinimegami Rena Valentine Production
I still get lost in your eyes,
And it seems that I can't live a day
Without you.
Closing my eyes, and you chase my
Thoughts away,
To a place where
I am blinded by the light.

But it's not right.

He returned a week later. A week after the victory. A week after the celebrations. A week after the goodbyes. Goodbyes to friends, acquaintances, allies, and strangers. Goodbye to a way of life he had all but gotten used to.

He returned a week later to a place he once knew well. A beautiful oasis within a mountain. Cascading waters and a hall of stone. A paradise as cold as Shiva's icy embrace. A world of its own where he had escaped to consummate a forbidden relationship with a woman he loved more than he ever dreamed he could.

He returned to Lucrecia's cave and found nothing and no one.

Vincent Valentine removed the red bandanna from his head, allowing strands of ebony to fall silently around his caped shoulders. Respect. He glanced about the stone walls, hoping to be wrong, hoping that she was somewhere, anywhere. He sighed and dropped the crimson piece of material to the floor.

"I know you can hear me, Lucrecia." He knelt next to the spot where he had seen her last and smirked beneath the scarf he wore over his mouth. The room's stale air reeked of memories and pain. He could almost see her before him. Her flowing hair, her bright blue eyes, the beautiful perfect lips that enticed him. Her attitude and emotions clearly visible most times. The pout when he told her he couldn't meet with her. The amused smile when she jokingly called him 'Valentino.' The mock anger when he called her Luc or Lucy back.

Love took me by the hand,
Love took me by surprise,
Love led me to you,
And love opened up my eyes.

Vincent closed his eyes as the darker half of their relationship hit him, things that he could never and would never forget. Her shock when she learned of her pregnancy. Her hopeful glances when they devised a plot to escape the mansion. Her sorrow when she was subjected to her husband's experiments. Her desperation and acceptance when she gave in, knowing full well that they could never lead lives together.

The gunshot and the maniacal laughter of a scientist who's sanity was fargone, sealed both their fates. For without her protector, her knight, how could she survive what was to come? How could he live when blame and self hatred would eat away at the sinews of his soul?

Tears form behind my eyes
But I do not cry,
Counting the days that pass me by.

Vincent softly placed his gun on the rocky surface of the cave's floor. It was the last gift Lucrecia had given him, the Death Penalty. He looked up, sighing once more. How many years had gone by without her? Twenty? No... closer to thirty. Thirty years without his Lucrecia, his angel. Thirty years to dwell on the stark nightmare that had become his reality.

And I was drifting away,
Like a drop in the ocean,
And now I realize that,
Nothing has been as beautiful
As when I saw heaven's skies
In your eyes.

"I have missed you... Luc. But I suppose that goes without saying." He looked toward the roaring waters at the mouth of the cave, not wanting to continue with what he was to say.

"We fought Sephiroth. I know you must know by now. I know this is redundant." Vincent had become so adept at hiding emotions, especially to his former comrades, AVALANCHE. For them, they were fighting a formidable adversary, an evil entity.

Vincent, on the other hand, was fighting his only son. A man whose brilliant green eyes matched his own youthful gaze, before the hellish experiments had reduced his once emerald eyes into viscous, cold ruby orbs.

"It was hard to watch it happen. It was hard to partake in the battle." He looked down to his feet, flexing the golden, metallic claw that was his left hand. "I am sorry... I hope you understand."

He was silent for what seemed to be an eternity. Did she really hear him, or were his words falling on silence? A gust of wind seemed to answer his question and he was dimly aware of a presence in the cave with him.

Vincent looked around, annoyed. "Yuffie?" The ninja had been the least happy with his leaving, especially when she caught him sneaking out of the festivities early. Vincent was surprised that someone cared, let alone the bratty, selfish girl. She was more mature than the group had believed, but still... Vincent wouldn't overlook the possibility of her following him. Curiosity was just too strong for some.

The cave was still empty, crashing waves the only audible sounds. He knew the time was coming, closing in rapidly like a cat upon a dying bird.

But could he really say it? Could he really let go of everything that he had held on to? The only thing that got him through decades of a dark confined hell? Would it ever be possible to let go of the one person who meant the world to him? Literally.

Vincent closed his eyes and felt the wind once again caressing his face, smoothing out his hair. A warm breeze that seemed to wrap itself around him, comforting him. A single tear fell, rolling down his cheek. Then another, and another. He knew he was not alone.

"Goodbye, my love."

Goodbye to you,
Goodbye to everything I thought I knew.
You were the one I loved.
The one I tried to hold on to.

Vincent stepped out of the cave, feeling the warm rays of the sun upon his skin- something he had never truly taken notice of before. The girl stood before him, solemn. He had never seen Yuffie Kisaragi so old, so quiet, so understanding. She seemed to read the emotions in his eyes and smiled as she nodded and turned away. He wished to be alone.

Hearing her retreating footsteps in the soft gravel and sand, Vincent sat in the cooling grass and looked to the West. Pinks, reds and oranges lighted upon the sky- a mosaic of colors. This day was finally ending. He leant back, staring up to the slowly darkening skies.

And when the stars fall,
I will lie awake.

"Lucrecia..."

A gust of warm wind. Silence.

"You are my shooting star."


A/N: Yet another one shot. I've been incredibly busy lately and truth be told, it has effected my writing. I just finished this today... wrote it back in February. o.O

And yes, for the record, I made Sephiroth Vincent's son in this one... Not that I personally believe it to be so, but it worked here. ^_^;

Hopefully more fics by me will come soon. ^^ Tell me what yah thought!