Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Only When It Rains ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2

The morning was almost too calm compared to the fury of the night before. Everything was dripping wet, but the sun rose almost blindingly bright, as if reminding people that there as always a new start waiting after every storm.

Vincent watched the sun rise over the town glaringly brilliant after the dark chaos of last night. Its rays instantly turned every droplet of water to glittering diamonds. But the beauty and majesty of the display was lost on him. His mind was focused more on what had happened last night. Another young mother had died in the ShinRa mansion. To think of it as cursed wouldn't be beyond possibility. Vincent never even knew the name of the woman who had died and whose child he had said he would protect and take care of.

Slowly, Vincent turned from the window and the marvelous display of nature's new start. He let the dingy curtain fall back, blotting out the wonder. He still had no idea how you took care of a young child. It hadn't been included in his training with the Turks. Every wail and shriek made him cringe and want to cover his ears.

Once the sun was up Vincent carefully lifted up the woman's cold, dead body. He'd placed her now dried clothes back on to give her some dignity in death. Earlier, he'd brought up one of the coffins from the crypt. The least the poor woman deserved was a decent burial. He prepared a grave and carried her out to it, gently laying her in the coffin before closing the lid. There was nothing fancy or even sad about it. Just a heavy air of solemnity that radiated from him. He never whispered a prayer, (he didn't know any) and his cold face never showed any remorse or sadness. He left only a circular pile of stones to mark her place of rest.

Vincent had searched the whole house and found several more blankets. He stuffed them into the leather bad he carried with him, arranging them so they formed a nest. He strapped the well-worn sack over his shoulder. Next, her picked up his burgundy cape and swirled it around his shoulders. He buttoned the snaps and buckles without even a thought, making sure they were secure. His clothing was all black (like that ever changed). He wore a heavy woolen shirt with both sleeves rolled up and black jeans. His black leather boots reached almost to his knees. The cape, however, was the one article of clothing that never changed. Though by now time was starting to leave its indelible mark. It was worn, and starting to fade. The hem to had begun to fray, yet it still managed to retain its color. He wasn't ready to part with it. It held too much meaning. Once fastened and his arm down, it fell over his left shoulder, concealing the bag entirely.

He peered down at the baby for a moment. He hadn't moved her much since he'd laid her on the bed. She was still wrapped in the blanket, even though by now it was soiled. She stared back at him with her large sea-green eyes, several ringlets of platinum hair falling across her face. Vincent gently reached down and bushed the hair away, gazing at her young face. Her tiny fist latched onto his finger, tugging lightly. It almost coaxed a smile out of the stoic, ice-faced man.

He gently scooped up the child and placed it in the nest he'd created in his bag. He had an odd feeling about that baby girl. If you had asked to express it he would have simple said 'I can't'. But inside he had a feeling that the woman he'd just buried had been running from something. And whatever it had been it was after her child too.

The trek through the Nibel Mountains was harder than he had expected. The previous night's storm had destroyed the paths, nearly washing them away. Vincent plodded along slowly, taking care not to loose his footing. Still, by the afternoon his clothing was splattered in mud and his thick black hair hung in sweaty clumps about his face.

Perhaps what was most annoying was the baby. She constantly howled and cried. Occasionally, Vincent could feel its tiny hands clutch his cloak; as if the dark, aloof figure could offer some company, some solace to the displaced baby girl. But what could he do? He was more displaced than she was. He didn't know how to comfort her. She could at least cry and scream at the world for what it had done to her. He had not even have that release.

At last, in late afternoon he reached the top a ridge that looked down over the old Mako reactor. He paused there and looked down on it for a silent moment. An odd foreboding crept over him has he watched it silently brood there, his red eyes narrowed perceptibly. The girl had quieted from her place as if she understood that the solemnity of the old place demanded silence. Vincent had never liked that reactor. It was too tied in with his other memories from long ago. Now it only seemed more sinister. A cold wind blew from it, rustling his cape and hair.

A cold shiver passed through the sullen man. It wasn't just the sight of the reactor that caused it. He felt as though someone was watching him... His quick red eyes searched the area around him but found only bare rock. Still, Vincent would have sworn he's felt eyes on him. With a grunt, he started his descent, eager to leave these dark mountains. He wanted to reach Cid's before nightfall.

What Vincent couldn't see was that high above him, on the peak of the cliff, there had been a pair of eyes watching him. Eyes that glittered like polished obsidian chips gazed down on him from the shadows. They watched him as he descended down the treacherous hatchback path. They narrowed as a sudden wail was heard from his bag. Vincent muttered something, the eyes sharpened, for they could hear a single word, 'baby'. Stealthily, a shadow detached itself from the others. Silently it ran foreword, along the mountain ridge, always keeping the brooding man in sight. At last it had found its target. Now it had to act...