Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Paradise ❯ Transition ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Why the hell did this happen?”
“Supposedly the large amount of students present along with the newly-cramped habitat of the monsters got them a bit… edgy.”
“A bit edgy? We're lucky we don't have any casualties on our hands!”
“Could we please be a bit more quiet? This is an infirmary, not a concert.”
“… Whatever.”
 
Slowly, his eyes flickered open, and the darkness that once enclosed him began to lift, revealing an off-white infirmary. The familiar scent of antibiotics and clean sheets greeted his nose. Around his bed stood familiar faces, faces belonging to Squall Leonhart, Selphie Tilmitt, and Quistis Trepe among a few other high-ranking SeeDs.
 
“Ah… uh…”
“He's awake!”
 
Selphie bounced over to the bed and grinned happily, then picked up a glass of brimming liquid that was sitting on the endtable beside the bed in which Aidan laid.
 
“Here, drink this. You'll feel better, I promise!”
 
Aidan blinked and sat up in his bed, taking the glass and taking long gulps of it, the beverage bringing his dried-out throat back to life and vivacity. Slowly, his soreness began to fade away.
 
“So, what are we supposed to do? Close down the Training Centre altogether?” Selphie asked, now sitting on the side of the bed and stroking the hair of the cadet. Aidan whiffed light fragrances of vanilla and strawberries every now and then, and slowly the worries he had however long ago melted away with the security of the four-walled room.
 
“I think we will have to for now,” Quistis replied, rubbing her chin and peering at Aidan. “Tests have to be run, but as long as a large group doesn't go in again, the monsters shouldn't get so… upset. Right, Squall?”
 
“One can only assume,” Squall ventured, and turned to face a window, which looked over a small garden and a walkway that went around the west side of the Garden. “But as you said, we shouldn't go on and send more students in without scoping the area some more. Which means that all classes that signed up to have lessons in the Centre will have to find some other method.”
 
Those standing began engaging in conversation that just sounded like random grumbling to Aidan. Still feeling weak, Aidan rearranged his pillows so he could sit up straight and nudged Selphie, who was still sitting on the bed beside him yet looking off and humming to herself. Jumping slightly, she turned to him and gave him a warm smile.
 
“Hey there, how ya copin'?” she asked.
“A bit tired… but um, I was wondering where Irvine and Instructor Dincht are?”
 
Selphie blinked momentarily at how he called Irvine by his first name, wondering how many people Irvine actually knew at Balamb already. Crazy.
 
“They're in other rooms getting checked up and all that jazz… you guys looked like you got quite the backhanding, am I right?”
“I suppose… but two beasts came and fought them off… was that a Guardian?”
“Brothers, you mean? Yeah, they're Guardians. Surprised Zell called them indoors, he's normally not too keen on doing that but hey, looks like that saved the day!”
 
Selphie took Aidan's glass of emptied hi-potion and set it on the table, then stopped and looked as if she was trying her hardest to get lasers to shoot out of her eyes by how hard she was squinting. The young spearman's eyes widened and he felt as if he had T-Rex guts on him or some such, but instead Selphie pointed out a spot on his chest.
 
“That's a nifty lookin' scar you got there, did it hurt?”
 
Aidan looked down and saw a newly-formed scar that crossed over the groove between his pectorals and stopped a short ways before his collarbone. Suddenly, he felt very exposed but didn't show it as he lowered his blanket to briefly rub his fingers over gently paled skin.
 
“Yeah, I guess so… the whole battle was a giant blur. Looks like it healed fast though, thanks for the potion.”
 
Selphie hummed in agreement and stood from the bed, brushing off her backside and strolling over to Quistis, whispering something to her and taking a moment to wave back at Aidan before leaving the room, the door closing with a latching sound behind her.
 
“Well, that's that then.” Squall said with authority after the conversation with Quistis and the other SeeDs. “Jax, document a brief report and make sure all classes get their bookings cancelled. Everyone else, make sure your classes still run smoothly, and explain to them that no one got seriously hurt, and the day will continue on as normal. Understood?”
 
All present saluted Squall and once he saluted in return, they all filed out of the room, leaving only the Commander and the Instructor behind. However, two more people came into the room, one with a bandaged forearm and another with a bandaged head.
 
“I'm surprised some T-Rexes and Grats was difficult for you two,” Squall commented with a gentle tone, although his face was stoic as usual.
 
“Hey, you weren't there, they were some tough cookies,” Irvine shot back. “One after another… what a morning! `s what I get for waking up too early.”
 
“Regardless, Cameron, Marik, and Lania are fine, and it looks as if Aidan is too,” Zell said as he walked further into the room. His hair wasn't spiked in the usual crest, medium-length blonde bangs barely hiding the thin bandage that wound `round his head and tucked under his feathery hair. Irvine came and sat in the chair next to the bed, turning it around and leaning on the backrest, his side-grin present per usual.
 
“Hey kid, everything in the right place?”
 
Aidan winced slightly at being called kid again.
 
“Yeah, just a bit sore and spacey. Thank you both for uh… coming to the rescue, I guess.”
 
Zell and Irvine both nodded in unison, Zell now leaning against a wall not too far from Aidan's bed.
 
“Sorry that we couldn't help your friends sooner though, I wanted to test their team efficiency more, but it looks as if there were more of those monsters than expected.”
 
Aidan simply nodded, but then remembered something. “Instructor, what… happened when I went all berserk? It felt as if… I was radiating magic or something.”
 
“That was a new power harbored by your emotions,” Commander Leonhart interceded, turning with his arms crossed to face the young and now fragile-looking patient. “A power you weren't meant to be able to use until Semester two, but it looks as if you have a headstart on your classmates.” Squall's leather pants squeaked easily as he shifted his weight. “Impressive for one with your current ability.”
 
“Yes, well, the class is going to have to get a lot more lectures to recover from the demo, because Hyne knows all that they attempted to know was lost in the chaos. Team Tactics is probably the furthest thing from their minds right now…” Zell said with a bit of a pout, scuffing the ground with his shoes and sighing heavily.
 
“You will be excused from the rest of your classes today, but Dr. Kadowaki says that you should be in a good enough condition to resume your courses tomorrow,” Quistis followed up, hugging her clipboard to her chest and looking down to Aidan tenderly through her thin-rimmed spectacles. “I'll have someone check in later to see how you're doing, although your friends can come and visit as they may. But if there isn't anything else, Dr. K. said that we need to leave to let the cadet rest…”
 
Zell pushed himself on the wall and gave Aidan a little thumbs up along with a cheekish grin, following Quistis out of the recovery room. Squall let his dark gaze rest on Aidan for a few seconds longer before turning on his heel and striding out, leaving Aidan alone with Irvine.
 
“You did good out there, you know.”
“Th… thanks. Is that how hard missions are?”
“Hah… some are a lot tougher, while some are just as complicated as taking a walk through town. I'd think you'd be lucky to get the tougher ones, more of a thrill.”
 
Aidan turned and laid his head on his pillow, letting his icy blue eyes linger on Irvine.
 
“I can't wait… to be a SeeD,” he said through a yawn, his eyelids now seeming too heavy to even begin to describe.
 
“It's a good job. And from what I saw today, you're well on your way. Stay sharp, kid.”
“My… name… is…”
 
Before Aidan got to finish his sentence to correct Irvine, he let out another yawn and let the world of slumber take him captive. Irvine smirked and stood from the chair, quietly turning it around. Placing his cowboy hat back on his auburn top, he took one last look of the peaceful, sleeping student before strolling out of the room, winking at Dr. Kadowaki as he left. The doctor rolled her eyes and hit him with the backside of her clipboard before getting back to work.
 
- - -
 
The red light flashed periodically, as if taunting Squall into submission. But this warrior had some resolve. Instead of picking up the telephone, Squall turned to his computer and began reviewing some reports, his least favorite thing to do. However, that little red light continued to flash in the corner of his eye, and finally he couldn't take it anymore. With a dark grumbling, the moody Commander picked up the telephone and pushed the button marked “Review”.
 
Hey Squall, it's Quistis. With the incident in the Training Centre, the mission assignments won't be ready until tomorrow. Sorry! Hope lunch went well.
 
Squall rolled his eyes at his friend's good tidings for a simple meal, but continued to listen as the messages went from newest to oldest.
 
Nida here. The mechanics said that the west junction's calibrator is finally fixed, so things should resume as normal soon. Call me when you want to play cards.
 
This is Cheryl… where ya been, kid! Esthar is far more boring without you here darkening up the place. Try and get some missions over here so I can see your adorable little face again! Call back!
 
Squall rubbed his eyes in distress, not particularly caring for the boisterous blonde that was Cheryl, a shopkeeper in Esthar. Apparently the last time he had visited, she slipped some toxins into his drink and things led to… well, that was behind him. Thankfully, the machine went to the next message.
 
Laguna calling. Hope things are going well over in Balamb… I know running a Garden isn't easy, but I hope you're not working yourself too hard. Anyway, call back when you can, we haven't talked and I've begun to forget what your voice sounds like. Ellone's doing well too, and she's been bugging me to get you on the phone too. Okay, well… gotta go. Bye.
 
Squall frowned at the message and watched as the machine went back to the first message, and after folding his arms across his chest, he found himself actually wanting to call his father, now. Perhaps it was the fact that Ellone was mentioned, but no matter.
 
Taking a deep breath and hoping Laguna wasn't about to get all mushy like he usually did, Squall picked up the phone and began dialing.
 
- - -
 
Zell sighed and began drawing invisible pictures on the window of the infirmary room, which gave him a perfect view of the bright blue skies of day. Light white clouds soared across the expanse, and overall it would have been a great day, had things not gone awry in his first class of the day. He had fought not only for his own life, but also for the life of his students. And all he had to prove it was a head concussion. Great.
 
“Whatcha thinkin' about, chicken?”
 
Zell looked over to Irvine, who was sitting beside him on the bed facing the window. Both of them sat there Indian-style, existing in a simple silence as they awaited the confirmation for leave from the good old doctor.
 
“I… I'm not really sure. I guess I'm thinking about the kids… I hope they're not scared to go back in there when it's all fixed up. Trauma sucks, ya know?”
 
Irvine nodded and simply observed Zell as he turned his head to look back out the window dreamily. Sunrays shone in brilliantly through the window, engulfing Zell's face wonderfully, his tattoo more elegant than macho now, his blonde locks now golden. The gunner felt something jump inside him just for the briefest of seconds as he looked at his friend, but quickly ignored it and turned his head to look back out the window.
 
“Don't worry. I don't think anyone's gonna have to go see a head doctor anytime soon, they're tougher than that.”
“I know but… I just hope I haven't lost their trust or anything…”
“You haven't, I'm sure of it. You saved their lives, you know?”
“I guess. People could've died, though… all thanks to stupid Grats and a T-Rex. How pathetic is that?”
 
Irvine simply smiled wearily and allowed his violet eyes to follow a flock of seagulls across the expanse.
 
“I've seen you do stupider things,” Irvine said with a little chuckle, and felt as Zell pushed him in false offense.
“Haha, I guess you're right… gotta put on my tough face.”
“Lets see that tough face then,” Irvine challenged with a sly grin.
 
Zell gleamed at Irvine for a minute before straightening his face and putting on a true brute face, crossing his arms gruffly and glowering at Irvine with those deep, blue eyes. However, the look Irvine was giving him sent him into a fit of laughter, rolling back onto the bed and covering his reddening face in embarrassment.
 
“Hahaha! Just like the Commander himself, you should be proud, Zelly-boy!”
 
Zell continued laughing, but eventually settled down as he put his hands behind his head and looked up at the ceiling thoughtfully, now in his own world. Irvine looked back at the pensive fighter, blonde layered hair gracing the white sheets of the bed as if he was Hyne himself. Irvine went to comment further, but instead of breaking Zell's concentration, he laid down too, putting his head near Zell's stomach and lying in a perpendicular direction, staring at the ceiling as well.
 
“You know, I wonder if they made that pattern on the ceilings on purpose… to make people forget the bad things, just for a little while…”
 
Irvine listened for any response from Zell, but only heard his deep breathing and felt only the gentle rise and fall of his diaphragm against the surface of the bed.
 
“Those… sneaky doctors,” Irvine said at last, and let his eyes finally close, the warmth of the high Sun warming his skin to just the right degree.
 
- - -
 
“You've reached Laguna's office, may I ask who is calling?”
“Squall.”
“Squall who?”
 
The Commander stopped for a moment and rolled his eyes. Maybe it was a new secretary. Or just a stupid one.
 
“Squall Leonhart.”
“Just a minute.”
 
Swingy saxophone music gently filled Squall's ear as he waited to be transferred to his father's office. It seemed to take forever, and Squall felt himself beginning to drift off into another world, now beginning to ponder what else he needed to get done today, who he still needed to talk to, what reports still needed to get done.
 
He looked at the digital clock beside his desk lamp; 17:33 PM. Where had the day gone?
 
“Ah, Squall. Glad you called!”
“Hey,” Squall simply said in response, not sure how to react. Obviously, his social qualities didn't match his prowess in battle.
“So how have you been?”
Squall sighed and rubbed his temple with his middle and index fingers. He hated it when people always delayed the purpose of their actions, making small talk first before they got down to business. What a waste of time.
“Things have been… fine. The year is starting off well. How's… the city?” Squall asked in return. For a moment, he felt like giving himself a pat on the back, but his father was already underway with replying.
 
“Esthar is doing great!” Laguna cheered, nearly sending Squall off the side of his chair with the sheer volume of his voice. “We actually got some money flowing now, and the army is doing very well, and the airship project is finally done. I think we'll call it Hygelac, what do you think?”
 
“I uh… think that's great,” Squall said weakly, trying to hide his apathy towards the issue.
 
“Good, good…” Laguna simply said in response, trailing off suddenly. There was an eerie silence on the line before he came back on again. “Well anyway, I was calling to invite some of the Balamb SeeDs and cadets to Esthar for the Annual Autumn Festival. You know, that thing we throw here every year with all of the plays and concerts and games and fireworks and the like. You missed it last year… and the year before… and the year before… and…”
 
“Yeah, I know. Things come up. Who all did you want to come?”
“Oh, no one in particular. I was thinking you could invite your friends and possibly a group of SeeDs and a group of cadets? It would do good for them to see what it's like on other continents; you could probably invite the top of the class?”
“I suppose… well, I'll have to talk to everyone else about it. You know, I do have a Garden to help run and--”
“—I'm sure you could find a way to come,” Laguna interrupted earnestly, with bits of hope melted into his voice.
“We'll see,” said Squall indignantly, sighing and beginning to drum on his desk with the end of his pen.
“Good. Well, that's about it I think, Odine is bugging me to get down to the lab to check out some breakthrough in the herbology sector.”
“Good luck with that.”
“Hah, you're telling me. Anyway, Ellone went out shopping with a couple attendants, but I'm sure she'll reach you sooner or later. Call me back when you've reached your decision, I'm inviting representatives from all across the world, you know. A good chance to sneak in diplomacy, that it is!”
“I'll talk to you later.”
 
And with that, the phone clicked on the other end, Squall hanging up his phone soon after. Both were used to short, non-drawn out endings to their phone conversations, although it was Squall who first introduced the un-social edge to the relationship. Others would view it as sad, but Laguna and Squall just viewed it as normal.
 
“Damned Festival… but maybe I need a vacation.”
 
Squall looked at his reflection in the nearby window. His brown bangs danced before his browned eyes, which revealed how tired and worn out he was from day after day, week after week, month after month of never ending work. But who would take care of things in his absence? Who would make sure things wouldn't explode and fall to ruin as soon as he took his first step out of the door?
 
“What a day…” he said dryly, and ruffled his bangs one last time before turning back to his computer, and getting back to work. Dinner could wait.
 
- - -
 
The door to the infirmary room slid quietly open, and a figure outfitted in white stood at the doorway. Silently, she strode into the room, white silk billowing easily around her, dancing around her fingertips and hiding her figure from the late sunlight that poured into the room. Without a word, she sat in the wooden chair next to the bed, her dark eyes filled with sadness and lament.
 
“Aidan… Aidan.”
 
The eyes of the teen who laid on the bed flickered open, pale icy eyes contrasting brilliantly against the dark hair that fell around his face. Turning his head, he looked over to see the silken visitor, a long brunette ponytail on her shoulder. With angst, he flipped over and faced the other direction.
 
“You shouldn't be here,” he said wearily.
“Why not? You were hurt… I wanted to make sure you were okay.”
“Why should it matter to you? I was wrong to you; you said you were done with me.”
“… you know, you saved me today. This morning in the training centre.”
“We only broke up this morning; I wasn't ready to see you die or anything morbid like that.”
 
The girl laughed softly and sniffled some, not wanting to cry again.
 
“I… I just wanted to thank you, that's all. I didn't have the chance to earlier, seeing as how I was busy going unconscious and all that.”
“No problem,” Aidan replied weakly, closing his eyes tightly and feeling his heart pick up slightly.
“But… your spear is broken now, and you have all sorts of scars,” she said, and let her eyes travel down his bare back. Ripples of muscle and veins were exposed, showing what scars, marks, and bruises the young Clearwater was suffering from. The white blanket came around and slung over his lean waist gently, protecting him from any more wandering eyes. He didn't want to be seen like this.
 
Lania wanted to reach out and touch Aidan and tell him things would be alright; he would be back up and at `em tomorrow, and life will continue on as usual. But, it would be a lie. They were through and they couldn't go back. So many things went wrong, and she had ended it today. Yet, she still felt some sort of connection as they fought together however many hours ago, a connection she knew she would miss for a very long time.
 
“You don't have to talk to me if you don't want to. But uh… Mr. Kinneas said earlier when he visited me that he wanted to talk to you about something when you're released. You were sleeping then, but he wanted to tell someone before he forgot or some nonsense like that. Just thought you should know.”
“Alright.”
“Yeah… okay, I guess I should go now. A couple more tests and I should be free to go along with Cameron and Marik. See you around.”
 
Aidan shifted slightly in his bed, yet did not respond in any manner to Lania. The young magician felt her eyes begin to glisten with the onset of tears, and stood quickly, looking at her ex one last time before sweeping out of the room and allowing the door to swiftly shut behind her. Aidan turned and looked at the now closed door, feeling the remains of her presence before turning back over and forcing himself to try and go back to sleep. His dreams were kinder than the real world.
 
- - -
 
Quistis tossed and turned in bed, her blonde locks splayed out on her pillow like the tentacles of an octopus.
 
She and two others were walking through a forest, crawling over fallen trees and ducking under twisted branches. Vines and leaves decorated the landscape, the dense canopies only allowing thin rays of sunlight through; it felt more like a jungle than a forest. Crickets and birds sang their songs, filling in what would be an eerie silence on a simple, yet odd mission. All kept their eyes peeled, looking for a certain something, a certain something. Yet, no luck. Why were they doing this? Why were they so far from home? They had abandoned their secure beds, their reassuring blankets, and their comforting pillows… for this? A shower was a long time gone, and all that they could do was continue searching, continue searching…
 
Deep into the jungle, they found something else, however. A door. What was a door doing out here? In fact, it looked as if it was a door to a small, stone outpost, leaved vines draped over the front and surrounding the impending darkness that slithered about the doorway. What once was the melody of the jungle critters was replaced by an eerie song, a dark and haunting violin that seemed as if it could lure out your soul and use it to make its song that much more dreary. Now, what they were originally searching for could take a back seat; the darkness had claimed their interest in its stead.
 
Holding her breath, Quistis took her first step into another world.