Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Place in Time: Fantasy Befallen ❯ The Old World ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Place in Time: Fantasy Befallen
By Chiefie
Disclaimer: This story contains mild language, violence, and sexual situations. I also don't own any of the characters used in this story, nor do I pretend to.
---
1. The Old World
The grass spiked up towards the sky.
There was a patch of daffodils growing along the side of the Highroad. Rikku picked it up and sniffed it. Sweet—but fleeting, much like the rest of her life. The smell would be gone as petals fell and the pollen went away. The moment was over in a matter of seconds, and she went along her way to Luca.
The war was over, but she didn't know whether to be excited or relieved. There had been ceremonies, concerts, parades, awards, parties, and pretty much everything else one could think of involving smiling faces and loud music. Time flew by like a bullet at first, from one extravagant celebration to another; then life slowed and eventually came to a screeching halt. She thought about going on television programs to raise her star power but eventually changed her mind. If she was meant to be remembered, it would be her name that was hitting the airwaves. Lady Yuna was a household name. She was famous before the adventures started, and defeating Sin only helped to make her the most popular person in all of Spira.
As the wind hit her against the back, she knew life always wasn't this quiet. Two years ago walking the Highroad meant easy publicity and adventure. There would be fans at every corner, waiting to speak with her or to just cheer her on.
“You're Rikku, aren't you?” one of them, a little girl with a distinctly long ponytail, asked one day.
“Yep, sure am!” She'd smile and act giddy, how everyone expected her to be.
“Do you think I can have your autograph? I've been a fan of yours ever since you took out Vengagun.”
“No problem!” The little girl held out a sleeve of paper with one her think hands. Rikku pulled out a pen (the one she seemed to carry almost out of instant these days) and scribbled down her name to the girl's enjoyment.
“You live around here?” she'd ask them. “It's so beautiful! It makes you want to put your arms up and scream as loud as you can!”
“It's fun,” the kid said with a shy smile. “But what's it like traveling Spira, seeing new worlds and fighting bad guys! I want to be like you.”
“No you don't!” she'd say, shaking her head. “You want to be yourself. Do that, and you'll probably ending up being someone really important. After all, I'm pretty goofy!”
They shared a good laugh before the girl graciously nodded.
“Thanks, Rikku!” She handed the girl the autograph and watched her walk away. This was the typical procedure among all patrons. Sometimes guys (some even the parent of such long-haired little girls) would try to ask her out and she'd politely lie “she was seeing someone.” A few times it wasn't even a lie.
She walked along the same Highroad corner now, two years past that time, a week before her twentieth birthday. She'd generally walk alone, but the same corners and gardens would be void of any rabid fans or even horny older men. Most of them were off chasing Yuna, whose upcoming marriage to Tidus was making even more news than her failed engagement with Maester Seymour. Maybe she was jealous of the attention and the adoration, or maybe she just lamented people getting attention for the right reasons. What about the modern-day sphere hunters? The only newsworthy attractions seemed to be politicians and pretty faces.
Nevertheless Rikku was glad she had changed quite a bit since the times of sphere-hunting and adventuring. She wasn't a little girl anymore, insecure and wearing skimpy clothing to attract boys. Her orange shirt and khaki pants seemed more fitting, more mature. That didn't mean that she wanted to abandon her personality altogether, though. She was still perky and reasonably optimistic, willing to help whenever possible. She was still an Al Bhed, and took her culture with as much pride as a young woman could.
She continued down the Highroad to a circular-shaped building, its paint cracking in spots but the turquoise color still striking against the backdrop. Rin's Travel Agency was a popular stop for her during the days of traveling, but now it was a bit of an inconvenience for commoners. Too eccentric, and too intimidating for first-time customers. Luckily she was in the neighborhood, so she decided to creep the door open for a visit. Rin was standing behind the counter, the same smug grin on his face that existed back when he was dealing supplies to Crusaders
“Miss Rikku! It's been quite some time.” The pair spoke in Al Bhed, while the other customers tended to ignore them and go about their business.
“I know, I'm sorry,” Rikku replied. “I usually don't come to Mi'hen anymore. I almost forgot how darn pretty it was here!”
“Old terrain is easy to forget when replaced by new memories.” Speaking in riddles as always. Rikku chose to ignore him.
“So how have you been? News of you has faded as of late.”
Rikku sighed a bit and leaned forward. Should she really confide in such a greedy man? It seemed there had to be better choice—Brother, Buddy, Wakka, Lulu, or even Kimahri—but she was here, and none of the others had too much time at the moment to donate to listening to a young girl vent.
“I guess I've been feeling…empty.”
“Empty? How can that be so?” Rin pounded his knuckles against the front cabinet. “You are a hero to all of Spira!”
“I know, and that's what makes my feelings so damn frustrating,” she exclaimed, putting extra emphasis on the last word. “It's just that I feel so without purpose now. I did so much stuff as a teenager that I don't know what else to do. Politics isn't for me, neither is all of that kooky religious mumbo-jumbo. Could you see me in New Yevon?”
Rin laughed, but responded quickly.
“Rikku, you are young. You need not worry about accomplishments when you are barely an adult. Go have fun, dare I say it. Enjoy life just because you're living it.”
She was anxious, and starting to believe that Rin wasn't much help at all.
“I try to have fun and act giddy like I used to. I still run around Spira whenever I get the chance. I'm even on my way back from Youth League Headquarters, visiting some friends.”
“Ah,” Rin gave a sly smile, knowing immediately who she was speaking of. “How are Paine and Nooj?”
“Peachy. They're thinking about starting a family.”
“You don't seem too happy for them.”
“I am,” Rikku protested, “but it's hard to tell them how happy I am when they're so wrapped up in their own little world! Wait...so I guess that means I'm not that happy.”
“It sounds to me like you are a bit jealous, but even more than that lonely.”
“That's kind of why I came here, to have someone to talk to,” she chuckled, “that and to get some juice for my house.” He shuffled his feet to the juice bar in the back-right corner, mixing up fruits to put into a large carton. However, he made this no excuse to stop talking.
“Think about it. Your friends have all moved on since Vegnagun, and you are worried you have not. Have you met anyone knew since your adventures?”
“Of course I have!” She said with a pout. “I have new friends!”
“Do you? Name them.” Rikku had no reply. She stood for a moment, tapping her sandal against the floor, while some people began to demand service from behind her.
“I am sorry, Rikku, but I must continue my business for today. But think about what I said.”
She nodded her head in disappointed agreement. “All right.”
“And it'll be 250 Gil for the juice.”
She thumped the money down onto the counter. “Still trying to make coin every chance you get, huh?”
“I will never let up,” he laughed heartily, more so than the situation called for. Rikku ignored him and closed the door.
The heat outside struck her immediately, causing her to wipe her brow delicately and whistle. She knew she was in trouble when she started going to Rin for advice. But who else could she go to? Brother was loveable but more or less an idiot. Cid, however, was stubborn and unwilling to hear her out. He'd just complain that her troubles were nothing in comparison to his. Cid's grumbling were why she never returned to Home for any extended period of time. She had trouble relating to Cid, or any Al Bhed, for that matter.. She figured she'd come around eventually, much like Yuna did when she went back to Besaid. It just hadn't happened yet.
She continued to walk down the Highroad, watching as children smiled and played with jacks and blitzballs. The machina were making life much easier, picking up the occasional piece of trash while continuously planting seasonal flowers. She was happy to see people begin to understand that machina were not the cause for Spira's destruction. It was a terrible stigma that probably still lasted in places.
She messed with the tie on her hair for a moment, before feeling a loud buzzing at her belt loop. She looked into the caller ID. Gippal. She decided not to answer it and stuck it back at its resting place.
About a year ago she had given in to her friends' advice and went to dinner a few times with the egotistical leader of the Machine Faction. Turns out he was little other than a narcissistic pig, asking her for liquor on the first date and sex the next. She declined both offers, pushing him away to sulk and wonder what he did wrong. He called her every month or so since, mostly to “talk” about life; it generally meant he wanted another opportunity to get in her pants. Therefore she turned her attention elsewhere.
She could see the building of Luca in the distance. She was nervous at first moving there two years ago, where the lights and celebrations never ceased to end. At one point she thought her fans would eat her alive. Now she felt as alone there as anywhere else, probably more so without any close friends nearby. The televisions were broadcasting as she looked around to her left and right:
“Today, the formal announcement was made for the wedding of former Summoner Yuna and Tidus of Zanarkand. They will be married on third of next month inside of Besaid Temple, where they began their original adventure to defeat Sin.” She turned to the TV on the left side, where the reporter was beaming of the opportunity to read such “important” news.
“In a joint statement released this morning, the happy couple stated they were “elated to announce their marriage” and “hope it will only take another step forward to uniting Spira and bringing eternal calm.” It's really so cute, isn't it?”
“Why don't you just shut up!” Rikku yelled, probably louder than she meant to. “Why not talk about something else for a change?”
That's what you want, isn't it?
“Excuse me?” She spun around, trying to figure out the origin of the voice. She didn't see anyone stopping to talk to her. Then she noticed a small boy, wrapped in a loose brown cloak with a shadowy face, who stood a few feet from her right.
You want a change. You want to feel important again.
The boy's slot of a mouth did not move, and it was a women's voice speaking, but for some reason she didn't doubt him to be the source of the words. She couldn't pinpoint it, but there was a certain essence about him, almost otherworldly. No real boy would dress so bizarre, she thought.
He smiled, beckoning Rikku to follow him. She hesitated at first. “How do you know what I'm thinking? If you want an autograph that's fine, but don't try to weird me out with the girly voice.”
It infuriated her, how the boy seemed to not care about her words.
Do you feel you are not wanted here anymore?
“Please, just go away! I'm not in the mood for whatever trick you're trying to pull!”
There is a place where you are needed.
It was stupid for her to listen, especially to a strange voice seeming to know the inner workings of her mind, but she eventually submitted.
“Okay, say your piece and then leave.”
Follow me.
The boy led her through the main street of town, watching people scamper around to various shops. Many were wearing blitzball uniforms in start of the oncoming season. Others were moving to the sphere theatre. Everyone else seemed to be walking back and forth without a care, wasting time and reveling in it.
These are the normal people of Spira. They do nothing special, but they are content with being followers. Their daily ritual rarely changes, and they like it better when it doesn't. Rikku, you know by now you are not one of these people. You are different.
“Don't forget that five years ago I was one of them.” Some of the townspeople started to give her strange looks, giving her the idea that maybe she was talking to air. The boy must have been an illusion that for some reason only she could see.
You are different because in nearly 20 years of existence you have seen more than many of these people ever will. You have lived an extraordinary life, and the common daily ritual does not suit you.
“But what can I do about it? I can't kick butt just for the sake of doing it! There's no villains right now, and definitely no one to steal from. Except for maybe Leblanc.”
Come with me. I can take you to a place where you are important to others. I see it in your eyes; you are getting sadder every day with this lifestyle.
Rikku moved left at the stadium with the boy, moving past a few docks and in the direction of her recently-finished home.
“How do I know you aren't leading me into a trap?”
I can make no guarantees, and you could end up hurting people if you chose to accept my offer. Remember, everything in this world is a choice. What I know is that you have a chance to be an important part of our planet's history, You may accept what I am saying, or you can ignore me and continue on with your seemingly meaningless life. Watch Tidus, the man you once loved, get married to Yuna. You will be buried in your memories and in regret.
“I don't love Tidus,” she said with an awkward laugh, turning around to make sure no one was listening. “I never…well I might have thought about it at one time. Does this really matter?”
No, but I know watching it would haunt you. What matters to you is this decision. Let me take you to anotherplace in time, one where you are needed.
She hesitated as the boy stopped directly before her tiny house. It was painted vibrant shades of pink and red with a small garden planted outside. The lights were off.
“It's kind of weird you know the way to my house…” she took in a few deep breaths, running the options through her head. This boy was a vessel of sorts, so she didn't even bother to make eye contact with him anymore.
“Do I have time to make a choice?” she finally asked.
You have an hour. Meet me in this same spot then, and present me with your decision.
“You really are blunt.” She chuckled anxiously, the sound of her own voice serving as a comfort.
I've been told I'm much nicer in person.
The boy vanished, and she was left alone.
“Ah, poopie!” It was the first time Rikku had shouted that annoying exclamation in years. She blushed, letting herself into her small house.
She threw her keys up on the wooden counter of the bar. She was really proud of this place. The parkay floors, the paintings and decorations, the bed lifted up on bamboo shoots. It was like she had taken a piece of every part of Spira and combined it into one house. If she went along with the offer presented she may never be in this place again. Or if she was, it would likely not be the same.
A normal person would have likely not given the proposition a second thought. It was silly, it was preposterous. It was a lie built upon making money. Rikku was not normal, though, and she had heard of this bizarre time travel before.
Tidus was a time-traveler. Was he given the same offer, or was he just transported to here without option? Maybe he could shed some light on the present situation.
She pulled out her phone again and searched for his number. Isaaru? No. Wakka? No. Kimahri? Did he even have a phone? She finally found Tidus towards the end of the list and the phone began to ring.
“Hello?” The voice was casual, and clearly his.
“Hey, Tidus. It's Rikku!”
“Rikku! How're you doing, girl? It seems like it's been forever since I've heard from you!”
“Yeah, I've been keeping busy.” She laughed nervously, and Tidus was probably able to tell she was lying. “You looking forward to the wedding? They are talking about it all over Luca.”
“Really? Not surprised.” Tidus and Yuna had been staying in Bevelle the past few months, away from at least a small part of the media attention. “People keep jumping on us with all these damn preparations. I love Yuna, but why should I care what songs are played? I don't even know what songs are popular at weddings!”
She was quiet in response.
“Try something simple.”
“I'll see what happens. It's all a mess right now.” A brief pause followed.
“So what's been going on?” This was the clue to say the reason she called. At least it was nicer than Yuna's customary “I'm busy right now.”
“I have kind of a crazy question for you.”
“What's up?” Tidus was calm as always, afraid to expose himself outside of being funny or clever.
“Do you remember when you were transported to Spira from Zanarkand? I mean, was there someone who came to see you?”
“Someone like who?”
“A little boy.”
“Yeah…he was a collection of pyreflies. Lost souls or something like that. He showed right around Sin's attack.”
“Did he speak in a woman's voice?”
“No, spoke in a boy's, but it still freaked the hell out of me.” He laughed for a moment at something going on in the background. “Sorry, Yuna's whining that I'm only packing two outfits for the weekend. We're going to Kilika.”
“That's great,” she said with fake excitement.
“So what brings on all the curiosity? You weren't visited by one, were you?”
Dead silence.
“You were? Thought you'd be gone be now if that happened.” He didn't say much else, for he was frankly in shock. For the past few years he thought he was the only one to be a victim of such a feat.
Rikku stuttered a bit as she spoke.
“I was given a choice to stay or be transported elsewhere, a place where I have a chance to `be a part of history' somehow.”
“And you're thinking about going.”
“Yeah, maybe.
“Wow, it's a big decision. If I was given a choice I probably wouldn't have done it and stayed in Zanarkand.” She could hear a “hey!” coming from Yuna in the background. “I thought I had everything in my old world, but it turns out I was missing so much. I don't miss the place at all now, thanks to my girl back there. What's making the decision so hard for you?”
“I just…I feel like I don't belong here anymore.” Her voice grew soft, to a tone Tidus could barely recognize in her. “I've done everything I can in a supporting role. Spira's all about Yunie and you now.”
“Now, I wouldn't go that far…”
“Hey, it's true! It's not even a bad thing, either! People need someone to cheer for, and you two are perfect examples.”
Tidus breathed in deeply for a few seconds.
“So you're going to go through with it, huh? Leave Spira behind for a better world?
“I think so. It may not be better, but I gotta live life by my own rules now!”
“Good for you, then. You know I'm not gonna tell you what to do. I'll break the news to Yuna and maybe it won't go so bad.”
“Thanks.”
“Good luck. We'll miss you here.”
“I bet. By the way, I figure I might as well tell you I used to have a crush on you.”
She hung up the phone, leaving Tidus with that last line for her own humor. Did she really want to leave this world behind? It seemed like an opportunity to do something great again. If she stayed here, she was sure she would have some decent times ahead of her. She'd go to the big wedding, maybe get married herself eventually, and try to cope with being average. After her adventures, though, she strived for more. She wanted accomplishment, a new quest to solve! She had decided it; when the boy came back to her doorstop she would agree to go with him. The decision really should have been more difficult than it was.
The difficult part came in saying all her goodbyes. The list of people to call was long, and by her estimates she only had about fifty minutes to speak with everyone. She poured herself a cup of juice before picking up her telephone. She began with Lulu, her old friend from the quest to beat Sin. She, along with Wakka, didn't take the news too hard. They had a family to care for now, and most ideas of adventure were buried far into the past. Wakka did take a moment to make sure she wasn't losing her mind completely. He probably still didn't believe her.
“You're absolutely SURE you want to do this, ya?”
“Yea, Wakka. I think it's for the best.”
Wakka had formed an unlikely bond with Rikku over the years, even in spite of her being from the supposedly hated Al Bhed tribe. Paine took the news much better, though she was still surprised considering she had just seen her earlier in the day. Buddy, her pal from sphere hunting, was speechless, and Shinra was too busy researching his so-called “energy source” to talk. She didn't even bother calling Gippal. The hardest reaction was from Brother, who sobbed continuously as the terrible news was broken to him that his little sister would be going on to bigger and better things.
“What will father think?” Brother shouted in hysteria, in his peculiar mixture of English and Al Bhed.
“Cid? He won't mind. He'll probably just think it's a load off of his chest.”
“He does love you, Rikku.”
Her voice stopped for the first time in this long chain of phone conversations, and she felt a tear travel down her smooth cheek.
“I know he does, Brother. Just be strong with him. Help him finish rebuilding Home. I might be back soon, I don't know.”
“Rikku, life stinks sometimes,” Brother replied emotionally. “I don't know why in all Spira you would want to leave, things are nice here. But I guess it's my job to support you. Go with strength.”
The decision became more and more complicated as the minutes ticked away. At first it seemed like an easy choice, to leave where she could make a difference. Talking to everyone turned out to have an adverse effect on her psyche. Instead of being encouraged she was doing the right thing by her friends and family, their memories together were reminding her why she should stay, so that they could build new ones.
There was only five minutes left now until the boy's supposed re-emergence, and her mind was a convoluted mess. She wanted to stay, but at the same time her remaining time would be meaningless. As she stood up again, she heard the phone ring one last time. The number was from Tidus, but as she said “hello” the voice was clearly Yuna's. She was angry at first, figuring the former summoner was just chewing her out for her admittance of love to her fiancée. Thankfully it wasn't.
“Rikku, Tidus just finished telling me what you guys talked about.”
“Well, what do you think? Ol' Rikku off saving the world again!”
“As your friend I absolutely forbid you from going! Spira needs you.”
“Yunie, first of all you're not my mother,” she argued in ironically a child-like voice. “I love Spira, but I wanna try something new! They don't need me anymore. The people have you and Tidus. There'll be other heroes too, eventually.
“Who will I go to for advice?” Thought the question seemed meaningful, the tone in Yuna's voice was monotone.
“Talk to Paine or Lulu. They've been there for you as much as I have.”
“Then who will be the Maid of Honor at my wedding?”
“This isn't about me, Yunie, is it?”
“What? Of course it is. Just because I'm popular among the people doesn't mean I'm heartless.”
“Maybe,” she replied shyly, “but you have a picture-perfect plan for your life, and you're scared for something to go wrong. That something seems to be not having me, your security blanket, around. Be like me, accept the change! Don't let your quests stop now.”
“But I don't…”
The time has come. Have you made your choice?
The voice seemed to pierce through the walls of the house.
“Yunie…forget what I've said. Just make Spira proud.” She pulled her hair back, took one last drink of juice, and walked back out into the warmly-setting Sun.
“I'm ready,” she told the boy, who had now discarded the robe in favor of a garish vest and pants, one that screamed out against the pleasant backdrop of Luca.
Okay. Say goodbye to this world.
“Bye, Luca,” she said softly. “Goodbye, Kilika, Besaid, Bevelle, Macalania. Good riddance, Thunder Plains. Good luck, people of Home.” She closed her eyes, and she felt a slight tingling in her spine as she felt herself floating between time and space. The world was gone. Everything she knew, everything she was familiar with.
The world you will encounter soon is hardly similar to the one you knew. Things will be tough for you early on, but you are a brave woman.
“Should I be afraid?” she shouted into black oblivion.
No. Fear of uncertainty is far greater than fear of the inevitable. You have made the right choice, Rikku, and it will be interesting to see where your travels take you.
There was another pause.
You know? The funny thing is I was going to take you anyway, even if you refused.
“What? Then what was the past hour for?”
Thought you'd want to say goodbye. Didn't want to be too evil about it.
What I thought you were all about giving me a choice?”
I am. There's no guarantee you'll fulfill any sort of destiny in this new world. It's whatever you do with your opportunities that matters.
“Thanks.” She felt her body flying in the air, turning all directions and spinning. She rocketed up into the air one last time.
Good luck.
She fell, and time stopped.
---
A/N: The revisions to the next 2 chapters are a little more substantial as some of the action of the story really starts to get going.
As any writer should I appreciate and look forward to all comments and feedback.