Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Silken Serenity ❯ Chapter I ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter I

"Damn humidity."

"It's the heat, not the humidity."

"Technically, it is the humidity. It keeps your sweat from evaporating and…"

"You're too technical, Quistis."

Quistis Trepe blushed at the accusation. "Sorry."

Selphie smiled up at her, wiping her bangs from her eyes. "Don't worry, it's good someone knows a thing or two out here."

The two women paused in their trek to survey the landscape around them. They were helping Zell carrying water buckets across the Centra deserts. He was stumbling along up ahead, sweat pouring down his shirtless back.

"Zell, if you keep going without a shirt, you'll get sunburned," Quistis warned.

Zell sighed, lowering the buckets. "But Instructor, it's just too hot."

"I know," Quistis replied, pulling her hair off her neck for what seemed like the millionth time that day.

"It never snows here… Like it did at Trabia."

"Selphie…"

"It used to snow in Balamb, too."

Quistis frowned at her friends. They were often prone to such reminiscing, which usually ended up with the two moping about for the rest of the afternoon. "Cheer up, guys. We're still alive. We'll be okay. All of this will end someday, right?"

Selphie and Zell turned to look at her incredulously.

"I hope so," Selphie replied. "Do you think the others will come? You know, Rinoa and Sis and Irvine?"

"Yeah, I'm sure they'll find us."

"Hey guys! Welcome back!" Laguna Loire stood on a dune just up ahead. He was wearing a strange garb made of sheets that looked somewhat Romanesque, but they were use to such idiosyncrasies from Esthar's former president. Ward and Kiros appeared behind him and waved before hurrying out to help Selphie and Quistis with the water.

"Thanks," Selphie said, relief obvious in her voice. Quistis waved Kiros away, but finally consented when Laguna nearly knocked her over trying to get the water.

"You guys are back! Just wait until you hear this!"

"What is it?" Zell asked nervously.

"Come on!" Laguna said, as if that was an appropriate answer, and bounded off into the "village." Quistis sighed and followed him, relieved to be out of the sun, even if the acrid scent of the rock walls burned her nose. They had moved into a catacomb of mountain passages on the Centra Continent. It was the most remote place in the world and thus the only safe place left.

Within the cavern a radio was blaring. Quistis wondered how they were powering it, but remembered that Zell-the-mechanical-wonder was with them. It crackled softly, echoing through the dank halls. Laguna dropped the water off in the well they had painstakingly dug into the rock and turned up the radio. People began to filter in; they were the survivors from Balamb Town, Deling City, Winhill and Esthar. The only cities that remained intact at present were Fisherman's Horizon, Timber, and Dollet. These were the places that, ironically, were home to the anti-sorceress units. Sorceress Edea was rumored to have a citadel somewhere in Esthar, but no one had lived to see it yet.

"…Sorceress Edea has issued a new order… extermination of SeeDs…way has been cleared… public executions today…"

"So SeeD is really finished?" Quistis said softly.

"Yeah, but what did it say Edea's new order was?"

"Couldn't tell," Laguna said, "but it has to be bad."

"Turn it up, I think they're repeating it," Selphie said.

"Sorceress Edea has issued a new order today. After the execution of the remaining SeeD rebels, a manhunt will begin for a man known as Hope. He is to be killed upon sight…"

"'Hope'?"

"Who could it be?"

"Seifer?" Quistis guessed.

"Irvine?" Selphie asked, hopefully.

"It can't be any of us, no one knows we're alive. It has to be one of those two. It seems like Seifer would be the most likely… He did turn against the Sorceress."

"We should find him and protect him. He's valuable," Kiros replied.

"That was cold, man," Laguna said. "Shouldn't we find him just to find him, like for the sake of helping him?"

`Typical Laguna,' Zell thought, `never was very eloquent.'

"Well, if he's in trouble, we should help him," Selphie said.

Quistis nodded. "I agree."

"I guess," Zell grumbled. He had to admit Seifer had helped them out of some scrapes since they escaped time.

"The question is how to look for him without being caught," Kiros said.

"Good point."

"Let's come up with a plan of action," Laguna said.

"We have the Ragnarok, which is difficult if not impossible to track by radar."

"But highly visible in the air."

"Yeah, it looks like a drunken Bahamut," Selphie giggled.

Zell frowned at her. "More like Carbuncle on speed," he grumbled.

"What?"

"Nothing."

Quistis rolled her eyes at the two. "The Ragnarok is definitely an asset we should consider. What do we know about Seifer, though? It's been four years since I last saw him, and two since you did, right, Selphie?"

Selphie shrugged. "Yeah." She didn't like to think back to that time. The last two years had helped her to heal from the emotional scars, but every time she remembered, the wounds were reopened. Quistis noticed her reluctance and sighed. She knew it was hard for Selphie, but this was vital information.

"Selphie, please tell us what he was doing last." Laguna asked gently.

He never failed to surprise Quistis. Sometimes he was as insensitive as his son, but then there were times like these when he was the most tactful of all.

Selphie bit her lip before replying. "I don't know… I think he was looking for Rinoa."

"And where was Rinoa?"

"She was looking for Ellone."

"I wonder why," Quistis mused.

"She was still pretty upset…" Zell dropped his sentence, not wanting to dig up the painful memories they all shared. For a moment, everyone was silent. Zell blushed, ashamed that he had inadvertently reminded everyone.

"Yeah," Laguna finally said. "She was upset after Squall…died."

`He didn't die,' Quistis thought, `but he's as good as dead to us now.'

"Cheer up, guys," Selphie said, though she lacked enthusiasm. "We still have a chance. Maybe Seifer is `hope,' and the world can be saved."

"Yeah, we have to try and work towards a future," Laguna said.

"Right on," Zell said, suddenly smiling. "It's the best way to preserve the memories of our friends!"

Quistis nodded. "Alright, we find Seifer, and then we'll figure the rest out when he's safe in our hands."

"So where would Rinoa be… Garden's destroyed, so she can't hide there, same with Deling City…"

"If she was looking for Ellone, maybe she was in Esthar."

"Yeah, but Esthar's been decimated. There's no way anyone could survive there now."

"Maybe FH. It's well-known as a neutral country."

"Except for recently. Now even the citizens of FH are up-in-arms against sorceresses."

"Shumi Village?"

"It's possible. I don't think it's been destroyed yet, and it, too, has a reputation of neutrality."

"It's raining outside, guys."

"Really? Wow, how long has it been?"

"I dunno, but let's go check it out!" Selphie said, her eyes lighting up.

Quistis watched her with a pang. "Yes, let's go see. Come on, guys."

"Booyaka!" Selphie shouted and dashed outside, closely followed by Zell and then Quistis and Laguna. Ward and Kiros just looked at each other and shrugged before going back into the tunnels to help prepare dinner. Maybe the others could forget their cares for a moment, but Kiros and Ward knew that reality always set in sooner or later.

Selphie giggled, dancing around in a circle as heavy drops of rain pelted against her cheeks. "It must be a gift from the faeries." Her hair plastered against her face. Water ran down her cheeks in a torrent, dripping down onto her chest and arms. She was thoroughly soaked and loving every minute of it.

Quistis smiled, crossing her arms just inside the doorway. Laguna paused beside her. Zell walked out, catching raindrops in his palm and then playfully flicking them at Selphie with his fingertips. Their laughter rang through the canyon.

"It's been a long time," Quistis said with a smile. Laguna nodded silently.

`Was Squall ever like this?' he wondered. `Did he ever play in the rain, or was he always so sullen? If only…'

His thoughts were interrupted by Zell's shouts.

"What the hell? What is that?"

Laguna and Quistis turned to see what Zell was pointing at. Something large was heading in their direction. Quistis's eyes widened in alarm.

"Edea!"

"Oh shit! Oh shit! We have to get outta here!" Zell cried.

Selphie grabbed his arm, trying to pull the panicked young man inside. "Come on! We have to evacuate!"

Ward and Kiros suddenly appeared behind them. "We're loading up the Ragnarok! Hurry and get on!"

"Right, let's go!" Laguna said, waiting for the "kids" to get inside. He turned and looked at the horizon. The giant vehicle seemed almost like a Garden. "That must be Edea's fortress," he muttered as lightning struck behind it, illuminating the slick black sides and magical symbols engraved in the walls.

"Come on, Lag! We gotta go!"

"Be right there!" he shouted back to Kiros. He turned back, looking once more upon the fast approaching horror.

`How did she find us?'

~*~

Rinoa was awakened by the sound of guns outside the room. She scrambled to her feet, listening carefully. She was right: the guns were definitely right outside.

She shook Ellone. "Get up, Elle. We have to go," she whispered fiercely.

Ellone blinked and, hearing the shots, quickly got up and followed Rinoa. Rinoa opened the hidden passage and motioned for Ellone to enter.

"Stop right there! We have you now, Sorceresses!"

Rinoa and Ellone looked at each other in shock, too terrified to move. A gun-wielding man stepped inside the doorway.

`This is it,' Rinoa thought.

The man pulled back the hammer on his gun and aimed between the girls. "You'll go first, Sorceress Rinoa."

She closed her eyes, trying to be brave as she faced the inevitable. Ellone clutched her arm like a frightened child. As she gazed up at Rinoa from her round face and large, trembling eyes, she didn't seem more than twelve.

"It's okay," Rinoa assured her. "Hope is alive, so even if we die, everything will be alright."

Ellone slowly nodded, releasing her and taking her place--chin up and shoulders back--beside her last friend. She took Rinoa's hand and turned to the gunner who at that moment pulled the trigger. Both women squeezed their eyes shut. The blast was deafening, but they never felt any pain.

`Am I already dead?' Rinoa wondered before slowly opening her eyes.

The gunman was lying on the floor. A tall form was standing over him.

`Seifer?' she wondered, trying to pinpoint the man's features.

"Rinoa," he said softly. "It's been a long time."

Her eyes widened and she ran over to the man, throwing herself into his arms. He laughed as the small woman nearly knocked him over.

"Irvine, you've changed so much," said Ellone, tears in her eyes.

He extended his other arm to her, and she, too, took full advantage of the offer.

"My my, two gorgeous girls in my arms."

"But we heard the rumors…"

"You think anyone could kill Irvine Kinneas off that easily?"

Ellone laughed, wiping her tears away. "You never change, except, why are you dressed like that and where's your hat?"

Irvine pulled away from them, modeling his new outfit. It just appeared to be some sort of old Galbadian army uniform. "I had to fit in," he replied with a smile. "But don't worry, I didn't get rid of my stuff. How uncool would that be?"

Rinoa smiled for a moment before a deep frown set in. "How can we escape? Are any of the SeeDs still alive?"

Irvine shook his head. "No, but I've done my homework, and I know how to escape from this place pretty easily."

"Good, lead the way."

~*~

Seifer blinked slowly. The feeling of being watched interrupted his sleep. Sure enough, Fujin and Raijin were standing in front of him.

"What is it?"

"He woke up, ya know?"

"STRANGE."

"What do you mean?"

"He's sitting out there, just staring, ya know?" Raijin said, gesturing to the deck.

"Did he say anything?"

"NEGATIVE."

"This is no time for jokes…"

"This is for real, ya know? You should go see, Seifer."

Seifer sighed irritably and pushed himself out of the chair. He dusted off his coat before climbing up to the deck. Raijin and Fujin watched him for a moment before following.

The sea air stung his eyes as he pulled himself on the deck. It was by no means gentle, and to add insult to injury, it flung the waves high so that salt water splashed into his face and mouth. He sputtered angrily and nearly slipped on a puddle. Finally, clutching the railing, he righted himself and began toward the fore.

Squall's back was to him. He was just sitting, unmoving, staring off into the distance where the dusky sky met the riotous waves. He turned as Seifer approached him. They looked at each other silently for a few minutes before Seifer spoke.

"It's been awhile."

Squall turned away from him, resuming his taciturn study of the sea.

Seifer smirked. "That's no way to thank the man who rescued you."

He could `feel' more than see Squall glance back at him. Finally, Squall shrugged.

"Why'd you do it?"

"I guess that's a legitimate question, considering you've been gone for five years."

Squall didn't reply.

"The world's gonna end any day now."

"So why did you bring me back?"

"Look, it wasn't my choice. I had to do what was right for the world."

"What was right for the world…?"

"Yeah, I know I've been a bastard in the past, but none of that matters now, because the world is really gonna end."

"Why?"

"Before she died, Ultimecia passed her powers onto Edea. Her powers were interlinked with her soul, which had merged with the pure magic of Hyne."

"What's this mean?"

"I'm getting to that. You need to learn some patience. So anyways, Hyne and Ultimecia corrupted Edea's soul. Hyne wants to be resurrected, and Sorceress Edea has proclaimed herself the one to do it."

"So what? Who cares if Hyne is reborn?"

"Hyne will destroy us all. Don't you remember the stories? Hyne made humans because he was tired of creating and went to sleep. When he woke up, he found a lot of humans on the earth, so he decided to get rid of them, leading to a war where the humans won and took part of Hyne's body. However, Hyne kept his stronger half, the half with the greatest magic. Sorceresses inherit that magic, because Hyne hopes that one of them will resurrect him. By giving Edea this power, he also gave her the motive to revive him."

"So where do I fit in?"

"A couple of years back, I found an old book in the lighthouse. It was one of Matron's. It told the story of a legendary box. That box contained the most powerful magic in this world-time magic. But because it controlled that magic, it also controlled that magic's effect."

"Which is…?"

"Chaos. If you opened that box, you could travel through time, warp it, do whatever you pleased, but if you did, you'd release chaos into the world."

"This world is chaos."

Seifer ignored him. "Chaos, though by nature wanton, can still be controlled by humans, but only the most powerful ones."

"Sorceresses."

He nodded. "Chaos serves to boost a sorceresses power to a phenomenal level, if she can control it."

"So did Edea open this box?"

"No, Ellone did."

Squall looked at him in surprise.

"Yeah, I didn't think you'd understand, so just listen up. This box was hidden at Tears Point, you know, the signal point for Lunar Cry."

"Right, when Lunatic Pandora aligns with Tear's Point, the moon releases its monsters. Catastrophic as that may be, it wouldn't destroy the world."

"Would you let me get to the point already?" growled Seifer. Squall shrugged. "The box was hidden in Tear's Point. It is the stigma for the signal of the Lunar Cry, but that's not its original purpose. It's a Centra weapon used by the ancient sorceresses-its part of the reason the Centra civilization died out. The remaining Centra hid it in order to preserve the human race. The box is called Pandora. Do you see the connection?"

"Yeah, Lunatic Pandora was named after it, right? Would you just tell me why this is important?"

"Pandora contains all the chaos of time magic, but it also held one more thing, in fact, the only thing that could save the world should the chaos be released."

"And that would be…?"

"Hope."

"So why didn't you draw the hope magic from it?"

"Hope isn't a magic. It's a being."

"What are you saying?"

"Do I have to spell it out for you? Damn, you're enjoying this, aren't you? You wanna rub it in my face!"

"Seifer…" Raijin started.

"Are you going to say it's me?" Squall snapped. "If you are, forget it. It's not me. I'm not hope. I'm not anything. I was trapped in time by a fluke. I don't have a destiny, and if I did, it was to be trapped in time forever."

"You're an idiot, Squall."

"Don't you try and tell me you think I have some stupid fate, too, dammit. I'm tired of hearing it. I don't have any more strength to fight. Why don't you save the world?" Squall snarled, suddenly jumping up and glaring into Seifer's face. Seifer clenched his jaw, about to give Squall just what he deserved when he noticed it.

"STRANGE."

Squall turned from them, as if trying to hide what he'd already given away. Seifer grabbed him by what was most convenient (his hair) and forced him back around. He narrowed his eyes, studying his rival's face more carefully this time.

"What happened to your eyes?"

Once upon a time, Squall Leonhart had been renowned for his icy blue eyes. That was a long time ago, Seifer suddenly realized. Squall had changed, and it wasn't just the milky color of his eyes. As Seifer gazed into the iridescent orbs, lacking in color and vision, he found himself contemplating whether in the years Squall had been lost in time, the young man had lived five years or fifty.

"You're blind."

"Sometimes."

"What's that mean?"

"I don't understand it, but I can see some things, and…" He abruptly cut off what he was about to say, closing his eyes.

He released Squall, knowing that Squall wouldn't tell his secrets, no matter what he tried. "Well, that doesn't matter now. What does matter is that we stop Edea from resurrecting Hyne. We're heading to the Centra Ruins. I believe that's the location of the second box."

"You mean there are two?"

"There were more than that, but now only two are left."

"Who has the other one?"

"I do."

"What do you plan to do with it?"

"Destroy it."

"That doesn't make any sense! We could use that box!"

"For what, Squall? To go back in time and `rescue' our parents? I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. You still have a parent."

"What do you mean?"

"I can't believe you're stupid enough to think you can still change the past. You couldn't when Ellone sent you back. You can't with this box. If you do, you'll release chaos in its entirety, and so everything you work for will fail anyways."

Squall remained silent for a moment.

"I already thought about it, but it's too much to risk."

Raijin and Fujin looked at each other in surprise. Seifer had actually admitted to being weak.

"Don't worry, guys. It won't happen again," he said, as if reading their thoughts. "So, Squall, what are you going to do? Let the world die? It's your choice, but everyone's depending on you. Ellone, Raijin, Fujin, me… and Rinoa."

"R..Rinoa…"

"Yeah, that little witch is still around. I guess I should have made it clear earlier. Ellone found the lock, and Rinoa opened it. I just happened to catch you," Seifer said with a little sneer.

"I'm flattered. Why didn't you leave me with them?"

"They are the biggest targets on this planet. While Edea has Hyne's power, she has enough strength behind her to ward off all threats. However, the only thing protecting the Sorceresses Ellone and Rinoa was SeeD. SeeD is gone now."

"But… Quistis, Irvine, Zell, Selphie…"

"No one's seen them in years."

Squall clenched his fist. "Dammit! Why did I have to come back to this world?"

"Listen, you're the only one who can save this world now. You have some friends who are still alive. Don't you want to save them?"

"Rinoa…" He opened his hands. "Of course I do."

"Hero Squall saves the day again."

"Don't call me that. I don't care about stupid heroes and destiny. I care about Rinoa, got it?"

Seifer laughed. "You're so whipped."

"Whatever."

"That's the Squall I know. Now come on, there's work to be done."

~*~

Rinoa, Irvine and Ellone stood on a plateau just outside Esthar watching the city as it burned to the ground.

"Was that really necessary?"

"Well, it was already in ruins. That couldn't hurt it, could it?"

"Those people…were innocent."

Rinoa and Irvine turned to Ellone in surprise.

"But, Elle, they were going to kill you in cold blood."

Ellone turned away. "Never mind, I shouldn't have said that."

Rinoa shrugged. "Well, where are we going next?"

Irvine shrugged, scratching his head. "I'm not sure, but it doesn't look like we have many choices. Where were you guys headed?"

"We were going to try to follow Seifer."

"Seifer? Why?"

"He has `hope.'"

"The Hope?"

"How did you know?"

"Just a few hours ago, Edea released a new order to track down Hope and kill him."

Rinoa turned from the flaring city to the cold night sky. "I think I understand now."

Ellone nodded. "Yes, Squall would have died if he stayed with us."

"What are you talking about?"

"We freed Hope, Irvine. We rescued Squall, but Seifer took him away."

"Then we'll have to get him back."

"Maybe we shouldn't. Seifer is good at hiding, so maybe Squall is safer with him."

"You sure?"

"Yes. The best thing for us to do is lay low and try to figure out our next course of action."

Irvine nodded. "Yeah, I have the perfect place."

A few hours later, the trio arrived at a rather dirty and rancid shack. Grimy clothes were strewn about everywhere along with some bottles that looked suspiciously like liquor. Irvine smiled as he looked around, knocking some food wrappers off of a table.

"Is this where you've been living?"

"Yeah, I call it my `Love Grotto.'"

Rinoa and Ellone blinked.

"I don't think that name is very accurate."

"This place is a sty."

"Well, it's true that there hasn't been much time for love lately, but…"

"Ugh, I can't believe we have to stay here."

"Let's try to clean it up, at least."

"Come on, Irvine, you made this mess. You have to help us."

Irvine sighed helplessly, but knew better than to resist. He bent over and started to pick up the bottles. Several hours later, the shack wasn't spotless, but it was livable. Rinoa sighed, realizing that she didn't have too many housewife skills.

`That's beside the point,' she thought. `At the rate this world is going, you'll never need those skills anyways.'

"So what do we do now? Following Seifer will only lead everyone to Squall."

Ellone sat down on the rug. "I'm not sure. I think it's so strange that I couldn't reach him… Something wasn't right."

"You got that right. You said `Something terrible' and then passed out. Don't scare me like that again!" Rinoa chided.

Ellone blushed. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. In fact, I can't even remember saying that. I just remember feeling overwhelmingly sad."

"Squall…"

"Anyways, we totally need a plan. What are we gonna do?" Irvine asked impatiently.

"We should try to figure out what Edea is up to. Maybe if we follow her, Squall will show up, and we'll be on hand to help him do whatever he needs to do."

"Yeah, good idea."

"So where do you think she is now?"

"On her fortress."

"The flying one?"

"Exactly."

"But no one's ever…"

"That doesn't matter. We've succeeded beyond all other odds. Why not this one?"

Irvine shrugged. "If you say so, but do you know where it is? And how will we follow it?"

"That could be difficult… It might just be across the ocean, but we have to follow it, no matter what."

"In the meantime, let's rest. You guys look exhausted."

Rinoa nodded. "Thanks, Irvine. You rescued us in more ways than one," she said, giving him a kiss on the cheek before curling up on a couch. Ellone smiled and nodded.

"Good night, Irvy."

~*~

Seifer frowned and looked across the room at Fujin who was squatting with a curious look on her face. A soft moan diverted his attention back to where Squall was sleeping. The young man was shaking his head and muttering in his sleep. His face looked strained as he warded off whatever it was that was worrying him.

"NIGHTMARE. BAD."

"Sure seems like it. Should we wake him up? Or is that what you're not supposed to do when someone's having a nightmare…?"

"UNCERTAIN."

"Rinoa… where…?" He suddenly cried out as blood suddenly welled over his cheek.

Fujin jumped up in alarm. "HOW?"

Seifer, too, had moved a safe distance from Squall. "What happened to him? It looks like he got cut with glass." He warily moved closer and nudged Squall with the toe of his boot. Squall immediately opened his eyes, gasping for air. He looked around blindly for a moment. Then his milky eyes settled back down into tranquility. Even if his eye color had changed, the manner of his gaze remained the same. He slowly reached up and touched his cheek, gazing disbelievingly at the blood.

"Can you see it?" Seifer asked.

"Yes."

"HOW?"

Squall slowly sat up, smearing his bloody finger across the floor. Seifer frowned at the mess, but said nothing. "It was just a dream."

"Seems pretty serious if it makes you bleed."

He shrugged. "I don't know why. I think part of me…is still in time."

"What the hell does that mean?"

"I can't explain it. All I can say is that I'm not entirely here."

"So what do you want us to do?"

"I don't know, but the only way I'll be here is if you reopen the box."

"Chaos will escape."

"I know it will. That's why I'm not asking you to open the box."

"Damnit, how can you fight Edea if you're not `here'?"

The two men looked at each other silently for a moment. Seifer began to get the distinct impression that Squall knew a lot more than he was saying. He balled his fists angrily; he felt the rage start to boil over, but Fujin interceded, placing her hand on his shoulder.

"CENTRA NEAR. DISEMBARK."

Seifer shrugged her hand off and stomped upstairs. Squall sighed and lay back down on the floor, staring up at the ceiling eerily. Fujin glanced at him uneasily before leaving him to his own devices. Those colorless eyes were too unnerving for her comfort.

Squall gazed up at a swirl of memories. He felt glass falling down in tiny shards like snow on his face. He closed his eyes, waiting for the drizzle to end before wiping away the remains. His face stung as the glass bit into his skin. He brushed the remainder off his face, feeling the scratches deepen, and again sighed.

`Everything became real inside time. Everything I imagined happened, and now I'm trapped between the two spaces… Even though I'm in reality, that place.... It's still affecting me. It won't be long before…'

"Hey, Squall, get your ass up here. It's time to fight Edea."
~*~

Final Fantasy VIII is copyright Squaresoft. I make no claims on the brainchild of Hironobu Sakaguchi. However, as I wrote this fic, I do have some say. If you want to use it on your site, please ask me first!