Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Silken Serenity ❯ Chapter II ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter II

Ellone sighed softly to herself and pushed her hair out of her face. It had grown long and neglected; it reminded her of the world around her. She tossed another pebble into the stream at her feet and stared down at her eyes barely peeking out from behind the tangle of brown hair. The water shimmered and rippled, devouring her reflection as the pebble sunk to the bottom.

"Are you okay?"

She looked up and blinked. Rinoa was crouched by the stream across from her, washing clothes. Ellone smiled and nodded, taking another garment from the small pile next to her and immersing it.

"You've been… gone all day."

Two sets of dark eyes met, and Ellone sighed. "I know. I'm sorry."

Rinoa cocked an eyebrow, but didn't pause in her scrubbing. "Why?"

"I must be terrible company."

"Squall was worse."

Ellone glanced up tentatively. Rinoa didn't seem outwardly upset. She was just patiently scrubbing each garment and draping it over the nearby bushes to dry. Her movements were methodical and relaxed. But there was something about the webbing of lines under her eyes that Ellone disliked.

"I'm finished."

"What?"

"Are you ready, Ellone? I'm done with all my clothing."

"Oh, I just have a few more."

"Well, hand me a few, then."

"That's okay. I'll take care of it. Maybe you should go back and rest."

Rinoa frowned at her. "I'm okay, Elle."

The trees suddenly began to bend and the branches whipped back and forth around them. Rinoa could hear was a high gale. Her hair plastered against her cheek as she ducked against the force of the wind.

"What's going on?"

"It's the Ragnarok!"

"But who…?"

"Let's go check it out!" Ellone said, jumping across the stream and grabbing Rinoa by the wrist.

"Be careful!"

However, Ellone was already pulling her along and crashing through the underbrush as fast as she could manage in her sandals. The trees began to dwindle, and Rinoa could make out a large red form ahead.

"What if it's Edea?"

"No, the Ragnarok was in Uncle Laguna's possession."

Rinoa stopped, forcing Ellone to, as well. Ellone turned, looking at her in confusion and was met by a sober frown. "Ellone…"

"You think…?"

"We should be careful. That's all I'm saying."

"You two are as loud as a t-rexaur."

"Irvine!"

"Hey, c'mon now, ladies. We better be quiet and stealthy. Rinoa's right, it could be Edea just as easily as it could be Laguna."

They both nodded to him.

"Alright, let's go," Rinoa said, leading the way out onto the plain.

~*~

"Where are we going again?"

"IDIOT!"

Raijin hopped around, clutching his leg. By this point, it was almost more natural than walking.

"To fight Edea," Seifer said. He was, as usual, several yards ahead of his posse. That was the way it always was. Seifer led, and Fujin and Raijin followed. He looked to the sky and they watched his back. However, today they had someone watching their own backs. Squall walked slowly behind them. It wasn't exactly trudging, but he wasn't marching either. Just as Seifer was looking up and ahead at the future, Squall was looking down at his feet and inside of himself.

"He looks sick, ya know?" Raijin said, jerking a thumb in Squall's direction. "AFFIRMATIVE."

Seifer stopped. The way that he flexed his shoulders informed Fujin and Raijin that he was irritated. They both stepped out of his line of sight as he turned.

"Stop lagging," he snapped. The heat of the desert was getting to him. It seemed like they'd walked a million miles and still weren't even near Edea. And to top that off, Squall was walking along like he had chains tied to his legs.

Squall looked up, his empty eyes stirred for a moment. Then they turned back to the monotonous glaze as he looked past Seifer.

`I guess it's hard for him to walk,' Seifer mused. `Squall…blind… How unbelievable.' "Sorry," Squall muttered.

"You need to rest?" Seifer asked sharply.

"No."

"Then get a move on."

"WEAK."

"Squall's just tired, ya know. I am, too, ya know?"

Seifer threw his hands into the air. "Fine, we'll rest for a few minutes."

"I'm not tired," Squall said.

"But I am, ya know?" Raijin whimpered.

"Okay, let's get going then."

"But what about…?"

"We can rest when we get there."

Raijin sighed, but didn't protest further.

`I wonder if Edea's waiting for us,' Seifer thought. `She'll be surprised…'

"What is this? My loyal knight, have you forgotten your oath?"

"This is wrong, Matron."

"Please… Edea."

"Hyne will kill us all!"

"You didn't complain about Time Compression. That might have killed everyone, too."

"It was different then…"

Seifer shook his head, trying to forget. His first meeting with Sorceress Edea after Time Compression was hard. She knew him too well and had used his mental weaknesses to her advantage. When she fought him, he nearly died, but Raijin and Fujin were there. They always were, and to prove it, he was still alive.

"You're worthless. You think you can find Hope? I'd kill him before you could come within a hundred yards of me."

"SEIFER."

"You look upset, ya know?"

Seifer blinked and stopped. Raijin and Fujin stopped beside him and watched him apprehensively.

"SICK?"

"I'm okay."

Squall walked past the trio, continuing on as if he didn't notice. Sweat was beginning to race down his cheeks, but it wasn't the heat of the desert.

`It's just like Time. Just like it… I feel like I'm back again, but that's not possible, because I haven't left it yet. It feels so real. The fantasy is overpowering me again…'

He tried to wipe the sweat from his face and toppled forward onto his knees. He remained on hands and knees panting for several moments.

"Rinoa…"

"Shit!" Seifer said, darting over to Squall; however, Squall passed out before he could make it. A thick layer of sand covered his cheek, momentarily hiding his scar. Seifer bent down and rolled him over.

"Figures. Raijin, come over here and carry him. We gotta get to the fortress."

Fujin watched silently as Raijin threw Squall over his shoulder and followed Seifer into the distance. She placed one hand on her hip.

`He almost seems to want to…care for Squall. Is it guilt?'

"Fuj, you coming?"

"AFFIRMATIVE!"

~*~

Quistis stepped off the Ragnarok and looked around. They were in a small clearing in the middle of a forest. The sun brightly beat down, but the hangar of the ship shaded her.

"Is this Esthar?"

"Yup, the outskirts. I guess we're probably in a Chocobo Forest," Laguna said, stepping down beside her.

"Nah, we're still close to the city," Zell said, appearing from the inside and jumping down to the ground. He straightened and brushed himself off. "I'm sure of it. Look here… This is my granddad's compass, so I know that we're Southeast of Esthar."

"Now what?"

"Well, we probably should get everyone off the plane and try to find someplace they can settle before we hide the Rag."

"This place smells nice…" Selphie peaked out from the doorway. "We're where?'

"Esthar."

"Okay… Wait, do you see someone?"

"I don't know."

"No, look over there! There are people here?"

"Shit! Get ready!" Zell said, balling his fists.

Quistis cracked her whip. "Right."

Just then, Ellone stumbled out of the tree line and fell. Rinoa, who wasn't too far behind, next appeared and promptly tripped over Ellone.

Laguna's face went white. "E-Elle?"

Ellone gasped; his voice… it had to be; it had been so long. Tears stung her eyes, but she slowly lifted her head. "Uncle Laguna?"

"Elle!" he shouted, dropping his weapon and running over to her.

"Rinoa!" shouted Zell, following the ex-president.

"Are you okay?" Laguna asked, gently helping her to her feet.

"Yes, I am… now, I think."

Zell hoisted Rinoa up. "Rinoa! How are you?"

"You…you're alive. How?"

Quistis and Selphie walked over to the others.

"A stroke of luck," replied the blonde.

"I'm glad to see you're doing well… I heard that SeeD…"

"Yes, for us."

"You two are staying out here alone?"

"No, we're staying here with… with someone else."

"Who?"

Irvine stepped out of the forest. "Hi Sefie."

~*~

"Rinoa…"

"Come on, Squall. Wake up."

Seifer nudged him with his toe.

"Promise…"

Seifer sighed, throwing his hands up into the air, and flung himself onto the ground. "Typical."

"At least we get to rest, ya know?'

"AFFIRMATIVE."

Seifer frowned at his friends, effectively silencing them.

"Seifer…"

He turned and blinked down at Squall, whose face suddenly contorted slightly. The area over his scar suddenly opened, as if freshly wounded.

"Dammit!"

Squall opened his eyes and gasped, shying from Seifer.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Seifer snarled, leaping to his feet and grabbing Squall up from the floor.

"Seifer, stop!"

His hand was already following through; it connected with a sound like a snap. For a moment, the little cavern echoed with the sound. Then it fell silent. Fujin and Raijin were motionless, watching in surprise as Seifer held Squall up by the collar. His glove was moist with blood. A welt appeared on the younger man's jaw.

Then Squall's eyes became very clear. With a sound like a snarl, he suddenly shoved Seifer back and pulled out his gunblade. Seifer yanked out Hyperion and waved it threateningly.

"They're gonna fight, ya know?"

"POINTLESS."

"Don't touch me again," Squall said softly.

"Fuck you," Seifer replied. "Stop being such a wuss, and I'll leave you alone."

"You don't know anything."

"You're wrong, Squall. I've been alive for the past five years. I know exactly what's going on. You're the one who's been dead. You're the one who was forgotten."

Squall lowered Lionheart slightly, giving Seifer just enough leeway to knock the gunblade from his hands. He dove for it, but was caught by Raijin.

"Let me go! Don't touch me!"

"I can't, ya know? You just gotta calm down, Squall." Suddenly, Raijin dropped him, bleeding heavily at the shoulder.

"What the hell did you do?" Seifer shouted, running over to his friend. Squall crouched on the floor, coughing violently. Fujin glanced at him from where she was at Raijin's side.

"Huh?"

She noticed blood welling from Squall's shoulder as well. "LOOK!"

"What?" Seifer looked from the two men. "How?"

Squall clutched his chest, trying to suck in air long enough to keep his head steady. "It's the connection with the other plane… Don't touch me."

"COINCIDENCE?"

"Shit, so if we touch him, whatever psycho injury he's getting in time is gonna happen to us? And we don't have anymore damn elixir either. What a bitch! How are we supposed to get to Edea now?"

"REST NECCESARY."

Seifer sighed irritably, but his tirade of curses ended. "Fine, as long as we're here, I'll go get some firewood. You take care of these two, Fu."

Fujin nodded; she watched Seifer go before helping Raijin out of his vest. `He's grown up,' she thought.

"That was weird, ya know? It felt cold."

Fujin pulled out some cloth and handed it to Raijin who pressed it to his shoulder. "What'd they do to him, ya know?"

She bent down and began to remove Squall's jacket tentatively, the latest episode fresh in her mind. Squall glanced up at her momentarily.

"It won't be long," he said before passing out.

"BABBLE."

"Why's he have to be cryptic, ya know?"

Fujin momentarily dropped her speech pattern. "He knows more than he says."

"You think?"

"YES."

"How can we get him to talk, ya know?"

Fujin sighed and shrugged, slumping against the wall. "UNCERTAIN."

"You think he'll be able to beat Edea? She's not too far ahead of us, ya know?"

Fujin didn't reply. She had been wondering the same thing for some time now. Seifer was pushing them hard to fight Edea, but Squall didn't look like he could handle a bite bug at this point.

"WORRIED."

~*~

Selphie was standing in the door. Her face was ashen, and it appeared that she would flee any minute; however, Irvine held her in place.

"W-why?" she whispered.

"I saw a chance to help in the best way I can… I had to take it."

"You couldn't tell me?"

"Sefie… I couldn't tell anyone. You would have wanted to come with me."

"I thought it was my fault."

"Let's give them some time alone," Rinoa said, drawing the others outside.

Zell flopped down on the ground.

"What the hell's going on?"

"You've all been gone for a long time," Rinoa said softly. "A lot has happened. I'm no sure how much you know, but as I said earlier, SeeD is destroyed. Sorceress Edea has a new objective: to find Hope and destroy him."

"Rinoa, you know about Hope, too?" Zell asked, jumping to his feet.

She paused, unsure of how much information she should give him. These were her friends, but the less other people knew about Squall, the safer he was. Then again, he was in Seifer's hands.

"I know about Hope. What do you know?"

"We heard about SeeD on the radio--Hope, too--but we don't know very much."

"That's right," Laguna said. "Rinoa, if you know anything, please tell us. There are very few people alive to fight the sorceress, and knowledge is power."

Ellone touched Rinoa's shoulder. Rinoa sighed and nodded.

"We've met Hope. He's alive, but he's with Seifer."

"Who is Hope?" Zell asked, stamping his foot.

"Who else could it be? Who has not been accounted for?"

A sudden silence dropped over the party. It was only broken by Selphie and Irvine's approaching footsteps.

"You can't mean…?"

"We freed Hope," Rinoa said softly.

"Squall has returned," Ellone continued.

"But Seifer took him."

"This is awful! We have to rescue him!" Zell shouted.

"I agree," said Quistis.

"No!"

"Rinoa…"

"We can't. He's safer with Seifer than with any of us. Ellone and I are on the most wanted list, and if Edea was aware that any SeeDs were still alive, she'd hunt you down, too. All we can do is wait."

"No way! You guys might be wanted, but no one else knows that we're alive," Zell interjected.

Rinoa frowned angrily. "What are you suggesting?"

"Let's split up. We're gonna have to stop Edea, but we need Squall first. You guys can act as decoys… Then the other party will get to Seifer. We'll meet back up and fight Edea together."

"That's a great idea," Laguna said.

"Maybe," Rinoa replied, "but what if things don't work so smoothly?"

"You mean?"

Rinoa remained silent.

"Zell, ideally, your plan is good," said Quistis, "but in practice… What if Ellone and Rinoa are caught?"

"They'll be killed," Zell said, "immediately."

"We'll have to think of something else."

"Let's go inside. It's getting dark anyways, and I'm hungry," said Irvine.

The others nodded and followed him.

~*~

`One. Two. Three. Same as always. Same as yesterday. Same as Time. Everything…stays the same. Nothing will change. Time can Compress. Nothing will change. Hyne can devour the world. Nothing will… No, things will change then. Everything will be gone. There won't be anymore "same." Everyone will be dead like me. They'll look down on their bodies like I can see mine now. It looks small and cold. Even though it's dead, lying in the deserts of Time, it's still the same. It's cold like it was when it was alive. It's not so bad. Not bad at all. I always thought it would be. I thought I'd hate to be forgotten. Maybe I do…

`Dammit… I just want to sleep. Turn that light off. Leave me alone. Let me drift away. I'm just so tired…of existing. Wanna…fade…away…'

"I'm awake. Stop kicking me," Squall growled without opening his eyes.

"Time to go. Fujin and Raijin are waiting."

"Good for them."

Seifer abruptly pulled him up by the arm. Squall swayed slightly, but regained his balance and glared in Seifer's direction.

"Cut that out. It's freaky," Seifer said, walking away.

"Whatever."

Squall followed him outside. The sunlight warmed his skin, burning it slightly. He sighed and listened to the sound of Seifer and Fujin's feet as their boots softly crunched in the sand.

A cool breeze flicked across his cheek, and he turned back to the cave. Momentarily, his vision focused and he made out the dusky crevasse. He wondered why a breeze was issuing from it now when it hadn't been the whole time they had rested there. A sound like chains being pulled across stone winded through the zephyr, alerting his senses.

The dragon had pounced before he saw it emerge from the cave. The moment it had him lying between its rough claws, his vision blurred into nothing.

"What the Hell?!?"

He heard Seifer's boots making loud crunches in the sand and knew that he was running.

`I can't just lie here,' he realized, feeling the warmth of blood run down his shoulders. `Gotta fight…' He strugged, trying to pull free, but the talons only pushed deeper into him. Squall bit back a cry and struggled against the haziness of extreme pain.

"Demi," he whispered, losing consciousness rapidly. The next thing he knew, heavy blood was pouring over him. `Is it mine?' he wondered weakly, feeling it steam and burn. `It must be… it hurts.' The feelings of numbness, blindness and pain began to smolder and roil around inside him as they turned to panic. `I…I can't breathe…'

He felt the blood cool over his neck and shoulders. It felt as if it was freezing, and he trembled. `I just want the pain to end.'

"Not yet."

A warm presence sank into him. It slithered along through his veins, filling him with warmth. He opened his eyes again to see a hazy form above him. It was smiling so sweetly. Angel wings pounded through his memory, filling his sight with dark afterimages like the undersides of feathers. He reached out, trying to catch her and hold her to him, but the cheek he cupped was unresponsive.

"Gay bastard! Leave me the fuck alone!" Seifer screamed, withdrawing from Squall. For a moment, their eyes caught. Seifer's were afraid. The fear left an imprint in Squall's mind even after his vision faded again. `He's afraid…of me. What's going on…? Why is he…afraid…?'

Fujin sighed. "UNCONSCIOUS. AGAIN."

Raijin chorused her sigh and leaned down to pick Squall up. He glanced up at Seifer who was staring dazedly at the jumbled flesh of the dragon. The blond rubbed the blood from his cheek and slowly turned to Raijin.

"I'll carry him for now."

Raijin blinked. "Alright, Seifer. You know what's best, ya know?"

"CURE?"

"He'll survive. Let's just get out of here."

The dragon's nerves twitched slightly as the trio slipped away into the sunset.
~*~

Final Fantasy VIII is copyright Squaresoft. I make no claims on the brainchild of Hironobu Sakaguchi. However, as I wrote this fic, I do have some say. If you want to use it on your site, please ask me first!