Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Thank You ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

The night was warm and dark. Clouds drifted across the sky at a leisurely pace, alternately covering and uncovering a full silver moon. Irvine Kinneas sat in his room, listening to the water as it lapped softly against the side of the Garden. They were currently floating out over the sea, taking a break from the usual hustle and bustle. He sat on the corner of his bed, watching the clouds and stars in the sky and thinking on the past few days. Ultimecia had been defeated; they were heroes. However, it just didn't feel right to him, sitting around and doing nothing. The adrenalin was gone. There was no more waiting around for the next enemy. There wouldn't be any more sleepless nights, looking over your shoulder for a renegade sorceress. No more shouted orders and hurried Phoenix Downs and Curagas cast on fallen teammates. Nothing. He let out a loud yawn, and decided that enough star-gazing and thinking had been done. He stretched himself out onto his bed and settled in, when there was a knock on the door. A delicate frown creased his brow as he got up and padded quietly to the door.

"Who is it?" he asked quietly.

Silence greeted him for a handful of seconds. He was about to turn and go back to bed when a soft voice answered.

"It's Zell. Open up."

This caused his eyebrows to rise slightly as he opened the door. Indeed, on the other side of the door was a distraught looking Zell. His usually gravity-defying hair had fallen into little wisps that fell into his eyes. Summer blue eyes held confusion and wondering. Irvine stepped aside, letting the other boy into the room. He sat on the bed while Zell hovered near the desk.

"So, wanna tell me what's wrong?" Irvine asked.

Zell looked up at him.

"Nothing feels normal anymore. I…I just can't sleep."

Irvine nodded slowly. "I know what you mean. It's like you're still waiting for something to jump out and attack you."

"Exactly," Zell said. "I sit in my room, and I find myself constantly jumping up at the smallest sound. I was thinking of sleeping in the training center. At least I would have a reason to be jumpy."

Irvine had to chuckle. "You know, I hadn't even thought about that. Maybe I should join you."

The two friends chuckled lightly before lapsing into a comfortable silence. Irvine turned his gaze back to the window, looking back up to the moon and stars.

"Irvine?"

He turned to see Zell chewing his bottom lip thoughtfully.

"Yes?"

Zell fidgeted a little before he came a little closer. "Would you be terribly angry if I asked to stay in here tonight?"

Irvine turned and completely faced Zell. "You want to stay…in here…with me?"

Zell nodded. "Well, Quistis snores and Selphie's visiting friends in Trabia. Seifer and Squall are together and therefore, out of the picture. Besides, I didn't think you would mind."

Irvine blinked in amazement. "Sure…I mean, no, I don't mind."

Zell approached the bed slowly. He stretched himself out by Irvine and placed his head in his lap, occasionally looking up and out of the window. After a few moments, Zell broke the silence.

"Has anyone ever told you that you look like an angel?"

Irvine looked down to see Zell looking at him in quiet wonder. "I've had a few girls tell me I can kiss like one." Zell chuckled softly.

"That's not what I meant and you know it."

"I know. But actually, no. No one has ever told me that. I'm supposing that, since you just told me, that I do." He felt Zell nod his head slowly.

"With your hair down like that and the moonlight making a little halo around your head, you look like an angel." Here, he let out a long yawn; his slightly pointed canines flashing briefly.

"If I didn't know any better, I would think you were hitting on me," Irvine said jokingly, fighting back a yawn.

"Dork," Zell said, chuckling softly and yawing again. "Will you stop that?" He pointed an accusing finger at Irvine, who blinked owlishly.

"Me? You started it. All cuddled up in my lap yawing like a small kitten and it's my fault that your own yawn has come back to haunt you."

Zell stuck out his tongue and turned his head to the side. Unconsciously, Irvine found himself stroking Zell's hair softly; enjoying the way the silken strands felt on his hands. He heard Zell let out a soft sigh and felt him move closer and wrap an arm around his waist.

"Thank you," he heard Zell mumble.

"For what?"

"For being here when I needed you. For being there when everybody needed each other. For just being."

Irvine smiled and settled back on his pillow, closing his eyes.

"Your welcome."