Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Great Tournament ❯ The Great Tournament ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Great Tournament

Chapter 1 - Were the Turks not some dam pet patrol!

2 years later.

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the Gold Saucers second annual 'Worlds Greatest Fighter' tournament." The announcer glanced up at the wild cheering audience. "This year we have over a seven hundred contestants brought from all across the planet, each with the intention of leaving with today with the famous Crystal Chocobo Cup and not to mention the fabulous grand prize!"

The stadium was huge, big enough to hold 6 separate fights when it was split up and when it came to the more important semi finals and finals the 6 segments would join together to make one impressively large arena.

"That prize is mine!" Said Yuffie, peering through the clear reinforced glass.

On the other side a collection of one of each type of materia known from across globe. Maybe 'grand' was an understatement.

With all of the Mako reactors being shut down after the Shinra incident materia was becoming a rear find. Such a collection would cost a fortune now days.

Anyway she had to have it, as a professional materia hunter times were tough and this was an opportunity she couldn't pass up.

"Your gonna have to fight for it!" Cid walked up to the stand with a cocky grin on his face. "Your not the only one with an eye for that materia."

She put her hands on her hips and returned the look. "HA! You think I can't beat an old geezer like you?" She walked up to meet him and stood on the tip of her toes coming up eye to eye. "I could take you down with one hand tied behind my back!"

"WHAT? You little pest, you don't stand a chance against me. I'd have you down and out faster that you could light a cigarette." He took one out from the pack strapped to his head and lit it clicking his fingers as he did. "That easy."

"Not a chance!" She argued.

"I think so!"

"Nuh uh."

"Will you two give it a rest? We can hear you from the other side of the arena." Cloud walked over with Red not too far behind. "You really are like a couple of children." He finished

"He started it." Mumbled Yuffie, Cid gave her a sharp look but did not bother the return an insult. "Anyway since when are you interested in materia? It's not like you." She looked at him puzzled.

"I'm not interested in the materia its self but I know some buyers who would pay a high price for it."

"You want to sell it?" Red asked sitting down next to where Cloud was.

"That's the idea. With no space budget coming in from Shinra I'm having trouble funding my new rocket."

"I though some new companies were sponsoring you." Said Red.

"They are, but its not enough. I'm building this one to last the whole trip and back plus since its not Mako powered its more expensive to fuel." Cid couldn't help but feel excited by just the thought of going out into space again, and who knows maybe he will reach the moon this time. The first man in space and then the first to take a step on the moon, now that would be something.

Cid went off day dreaming, Red could tell he wasn't going to get through to him now, he'd seen that look before and knew it was pointless. He did not see the excitement of going into space like Cid, he preferred to keep his paws firmly on the ground.

The bell went off signaling the start of the first round.

"I can guess why you want it." Cloud turned to face Yuffie who looked back and gave him a big cheesy smile then turn to stare through the glass again.

Normally she would try to steal it but even with her skills she doubted that she could get past the all security and then drag it all to the station with out anyone noticing. Oh well looks like she was going to have to fight for this one. Still she was a highly trained ninja one of the best in Wutai there was a good chance that she could win. 'Just think of what I could do with all that materia'.

Cloud stood there watching the fight thinking he could easily beat the two contenders, even if they fought him together. He was a very good fighter. Not at first since he hadn't even made it into SOLDIER but thanks to Hojo's experiments on him infusing him with Jenova cells and Mako he had an advantage over most normal fighters. Plus with all the training from his experience with Avalanche that had turned him into a fighter as good as any 1st class SOLDIER.

"So who do you think will win this round? My bets on the little guy, he's much faster than..." He trailed off when he looked round to see the others day dreaming not paying attention, even Red seemed fixed on something across the stadium.

He shrugged and turned back to the game. Not really interested in the prize that much, more like a chance to test his skills as a fighter. He looked over at some of the other fighters trying to see who would be a challenge for him. Noticing that some were twice his size, some not even the same species as him. Maybe Tifa was right, this tournament could be interesting, after all it's been awhile since I've had any fun maybe this is just what the doctor ordered.

_______________________________________________________________ _

"This constant music is starting to bug me." Reno complained sitting down with the other Turks. "You would have thought they could put something new on once in awhile instead of the annoying tune, what do you think Rude?"

"....." Rude added.

"Yeah thanks great comment," Reno said sarcastically. "You know you're not the best person in the world to have conversation with when all you say is nothing."

"....."

"So you agree. Fine what number are we?" He turned towards Elena who was holding the fight listings.

Elena looked down the sheet to find them both. "Well you are No.324 and Rude is No.325 and looking at your placing it looks like your fights won't be for awhile yet." She replied.

"Great! That means I have time to have a few more drinks." Reno announced finishing of his.

"Is that all you ever think about? Getting drunk isn't the only thing to do up here." She pointed to the various areas on the map.

After 2 years the Gold Saucer had expanded and the owner Dio had built some new areas one of which was the new stadium used for various tournaments through out the year. Of all the tournaments though non-were even close to the size of todays.

"Yeah but none of that junk can compare to a good drink." He argued. "There's nothing that alcohol can't beat, right Rude?"

"....." Rude nodded his head not really listening to them.

"See." He said with a smirk on his face

"Ugh. Why do I put up with you?" She asked slightly raising her voice.

"Aww come on, one more round then we can do something else."

"Fine, whose round is it then?" She questioned.

"Yours!" Reno answered smiling while holding up his empty glass.

"Figures." With a sigh she stood up and walked to the bar trying to remember if it really was her turn, it wouldn't be the first time he tricked her into buying the drinks.

"So did we have any calls after I left?" Reno asked turning back to Rude. "We haven't had a job in over four weeks."

Since the fall of Shinra the Turks had to take up jobs from anyone that would pay them. Although it wasn't much different from working for Shinra there were times when there was just no work to do and no money coming in was a problem too. This for Reno was the worst time not just for the money problems, it meant he had to stay in the office and help out with the paper work instead. He hated that.

"Just one." Rude replied simply. "I turned it down though."

"Why?" Reno questioned

"It was some kid who couldn't get his cat out of a tree, he offered 30 Gil if we could get it out."

Reno's face what blank, he just stared wondering if Rude was joking, he must be, wasn't he?

"30 Gil" He said slowly, Rude nodded. 30 Gil that's what the Turks had been reduced to, saving some kids stupid cat from a tree. "That's it nothing else? Just some dam kid?"

"Just the kid." Rude repeated.

"God dammit, this is ridiculous." He started. "Were the Turks not some dam pet patrol!" Reno looked down at his empty glass "Where the hell is Elena with that drink?"

_______________________________________________________________ _________

"Okay I'll join you in bit." Tifa waved to Cloud as he started to walk over to meet Cid and Yuffie who even from this distance she could tell they were fighting over something.

She had managed to talk him into coming to the tournament today after some constant nagging telling him he should do something a bit different from wandering round the bar all day. Since he was no longer in the Shinra army or a mercenary he wasn't sure what to do with him self. Tifa had offered him a job at her new bar but he refused saying he wasn't ready to settle down with a simple day job in the same place every day, although she couldn't understand that since all he did all day was stay at the bar wandering around breaking up the occasional bar fight. 'Anyway' she said mentally snapping her self out of her daydream, she should check to see who was her first opponent.

"Let's see..." She said looking down the list. "Ah ha No.478 Tifa Lockheart verses No.......324. Reno!?" She read not sure if she was surprised or angry, maybe both. Reno that creep. He was one of those responsible for their trouble back in Midgar in the early days. The one who had set the release for the sector 7 pillar which had fallen and crushing everything and everyone who lived in the sector 7 slums, including Biggs, Wedge and Jessie. She clenched her fists ready to beat the hell out of him just at the though of what he'd done.

"What's wrong? You seem uptight about something"

She spun round startled to see Barret walking up to her with a concerned look on his face. "Oh I...well..Its nothing, just thinking about something." She final managed to get out.

"You should think about taken a break, looked like you were ready to blow a fuse or something." He said grinning. He looked over at Cloud who was standing next to Red at the opposite end of the arena watching the fights. "So you managed to convince him to come." Pointing over at Cloud, Barret knew that he had become lazy over the months mostly from Tifa's complain over the phone, each time he called he could hear her yelling at him to get out and do something.

Although Cloud wasn't entirely to blame. After defeating Sephiroth he had followed up every lead for a guy with a black cape and description matching the madman and even though the guy would never admit it always coming up with some excuse he followed up every lead that match the Ancient or Cetra whatever they were called, always hoping it would be her. None of them were true though and after some time it started to take it toll on him.

"Yes it took some of my best nagging but I managed it." She said with a smile.

"It'll do the guy good to get out a bit, maybe he can get past the whole Sephiroth thing."

"I guess, he seems to be doing better lately." Looking over at him deciding she wanted to change the subject. "Have you seen the others?" She asked.

"Yeah err lemme see, Vincent was over at the weapon shop stockin up on his ammo."

"Not a supprise."

"And Reeve buying his ticket for the fights."

"He's not taking part?" She questioned.

"No, the officials wouldn't let him enter with Cait Sith since it's a machine not an actual fighter."

"That's too bad I thought he would do quite well."

"Hey don't you think yur forgetting someone?" He pointing at him self to make it more obvious, like she needed any help guessing.

She giggled walking up patting him on the head. "Aww don't worry I'm sure you'll do very well." She said sweetly.

"Dam straight" Lifting up his gun arm. "Most of all I'm gonna give that spike head a good run for his money."

"Hmm that's if you can get past me first." She said still smiling.

"What? Haha, like I'm gonna fight a girl." He joked folding his arms.

"What's that suppose to mean?" She shouted, putting her hands on her hips and giving him a stare that could cut through steel. "I'm not good enough because I'm a girl?"

"Well... I...what I mean is I..." Figuring the look on her face wasn't a good sign he though best to make his escape. "Hey look Clouds calling." Barret pointed behind her in Cloud's direction. "Hey I'm coming right over." He shouted waving his arm hoping Tifa wouldn't notice Cloud wasn't even looking, he quickly started to walk over to where Cloud was stood thinking he'd got away with it.

"Hmph." Tifa continued to stare at Barret for a moment as he quickly made his escape. "Like that going to help you." She whispered following him deciding what would be the best way to make him pay for his little joke.