Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Great Tournament ❯ An Unexpected End ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3 : %&$£! The hell's that suppose to mean? - Cid

As the day went on the Tournament continued and Cloud continued to defeat his opponents one after the other. Cloud's first opponent, well if you could call him that didn't even put up a fight at all. As soon as the announcer said the he was the same Cloud Strife that had defeated Sephiroth with Avalanche he gave up faster than Cid did his nicorette patch. Still his other three fighters were a challenge, well sort off. The third one at least had lasted more than 5 minuets with him and managed to score a hit on Clouds leg.

"Who am I kidding?" Whispered Cloud. So far he hadn't come across one decent opponent, all the contestants he fought were amateurs just trying their luck, it was sooo boring.

Tifa had been lucky getting Reno at least he'd given her a good fight. Even though she was still rubbing it in every time she bumped into him and when Cloud saw him with Elena she seemed to be giving him a hard time over it too, he was taking it well though probably the best way possible, completely drunk at the bar.

Cloud sighed, although it wasn't just the lack of a challenges from his opponents that was bothering him it was something much more important that was getting Cloud down, something that had been bothering him for a very long time now. It was starting to feel as if it was a normal daily thing that just happened. He had given up his searches that had kept him busy for the first year and told the others that he was over it, even though he wasn't, he just didn't want them worry about him anymore figuring he'd put them through enough already.

"Cheer up Spike it can't be that bad." Barret put his arm on Clouds shoulder shaking him a little to try and get some life out of him.

"Yeah I know I'm just... Well, it's nothing. I guess I'm just a little bored." He decided to keep his emotions to himself again and it wasn't like he was lying to Barret either, he was bored stiff.

"Well ok then, can't blame ya really." He turned and pointed at some of the other fighters training. "Half these guys wouldn't know which end to hold a sword."

Cloud allowed himself a little smile knowing Barret was trying to cheer him up. 'Strange.' He thought, when they had first met back in Midgar they both hated each other, it was Tifa who had kept them together. Cloud was the cold-hearted mercenary and in his eyes Barret was the 'save the planet tree hugger'. Although Cloud had never called him that to his face, he didn't have 'that' much of death wish.

"Hey you two." Cloud and Barret turned to see Tifa waving at them. "Were going to that new restaurant on the next level you guys wanna come?"

"Sure why not I'm starving, haven't eaten anything in ages." Barret glanced at Cloud. "What about you Spike, it's better than been stuck here bored."

Cloud looked over at Tifa who was smiling blissfully. He loved it when she was happy, those soft brown eyes, during their quest she seemed to be able to brighten everyone's spirits by just smiling. 'Of course there was someone else who had that gift.' He shook his head trying to get rid of the thought, thinking of Aeris just made him depressed, he'd spent days upon days wondering what could have been if she was still alive. Right now he just wanted to forget about his troubles even if just for a while.

"Cloud?" Tifa asked noticing he'd gone off into another one of his daydreams.

"Huh? Oh yeah sure lets go, feels like I haven't eaten in a ages."

"You mean since this morning when you ate an entire '7th Heaven Breakfast' the biggest we serve I might add." She pointed out poking his stomach.

"Um well yeah, but when your a hard working fighter like me you need a balanced diet."

"I would hardly call that balanced." Tifa commented. "Come on then, best not keep the others waiting."

Cloud shrugged and followed Tifa to the where everyone else was waiting.

"Take your time don't ya." Cid was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed tapping his foot on the floor impatiently.

"Oh stop complaining, you didn't even want to go at first." Exclaimed Tifa.

Cloud and Barret caught up with Tifa and walked over to the lift shoot.

"Is that everyone?" Red asked. He glanced round checking for anyone missing.

"Where's Reeve and Vincent?" Asked Cloud looking round.

"They went on ahead to get us seats." Explained Red.

"So that's it let get going." Before he had even finished Cid had jumped into the transport shoot to the next level leaving a thin trail of smoke through the tube.

"You heard the man, let's mossey." Cloud followed.

"Stop saying it like a girl!" Echoed back through the tube.

They got about halfway to the new restaurant when Cloud noticed his arm bangle was missing. 'Dammit when did I loose that?' He stopped walking and started checking his pockets. 'Nope. Where is it?' He stood their thinking where he'd last seen it. 'On my arm of course so that doesn't help.'

"Hey you coming or what?" Shouted Tifa waiting a little further on from where Cloud was stood. The rest of the gang hadn't noticed he'd stopped.

"Um yeah you go on ahead and I'll catch up, I think I left something back in the stadium." He explained.

"Ok then don't take to long." She waved.

Cloud waved back and turned to run back to the lift wondering where he could have dropped it. He reached the shoot for the stadium level and jumped in, sliding down the multicolored tube he started to feel a bit dizzy and light headed. 'Dam motion sickness.'

Cloud reached the floor and carried on running to where he had been stood before Tifa and Barret had come to meet him. He started to feel more and more dizzy as he ran further. 'What's up I don't get motion sickness from just running.' Cloud reached the second arena and had almost been slowed to a crawl. The fights were still going on and as he looked over to the one next to him it felt as if everything was moving in slow motion. 'This doesn't feel right, maybe I should just sit down for a second.'

He reached the bench and sat down facing away from the fights, watching them seemed to make him feel worse. Slowly his mind cleared and it felt as if the pain was actually moving away from him. He hadn't felt this way in a long time. Random thoughts and memories seemed to force there way into his mind, he couldn't make out what it was he was trying to remember. He closed his eyes trying to concentrate but instead felt the same strange conscience he had felt when he came in contact in the Lifestream back in Mideel.

"Are you ok man, you look a little pale."

Cloud looked up to see one of the Gold Saucer janitors watching him as he cleaned the floor. He was in his 50's with a large white mustache and was wearing the typical Gold Saucer uniform and cap.

"Yeah I'm fine I just feel a little dizzy, think I'm just a bit nervous." He hoped the janitor wouldn't recognize him, why would Cloud Strife be feeling nervous before a fight?

"There's a water fountain over there if it helps." The janitor pointed over to where it was located. "Maybe you just need to cool down a bit."

"Ok thanks." Cloud turned his head back down, he didn't feel like talking right now.

The janitor walked on happy that the floor was clean enough in this area but gave Cloud a worried look as he moved on.

Cloud sat there for a little longer trying to clear his head. Numerous thoughts kept forcing their way to his mind, he couldn't tell which were his thoughts and which were the intrusive ones. He couldn't find his way through his own mind, not been able to keep hold of any thoughts for longer than a second. Suddenly his mind went clear, he sat up unsure of what just happened. He sat there for a moment waiting to see if it happened again but there was only silence.

Cloud stood up and turned to look at the fights in the arena. All normal everything was moving clearly now. 'Strange, now what was I doing anyway?' He looked round and saw the bangle laying on set of benches opposite him. 'Oh yeah that's it, I must have dropped it earlier when getting ready for one of the fights.' He walked over to it noticing there was something wrapped around it.

'A ribbon?' What's that doing there? He reached down to pick up the bangle with the pink ribbon gently wrapped round it. 'It looks just like the one Aeris use to have tied round her hair. Strange.' As soon as he grasped the item in his hand his mind went blank, he was unable to bring any thought into his head. He stood there in silence even the music had faded into the dark, he could feel a presence near him but could not see in the pitch black that covered him. It felt as if time had completely stopped. The presence moved closer until Cloud could practically feel it on him. Silence still, he waited until it was broken by a clear voice close to him.

"So how does it feel Cloud?"

"What?"

"How does it feel to know you failed?"

Cloud shot up immediately looking round for where the voices had come from. He did not know the first voice but he recognized the second easily, it was his own. 'But I never spoke.' There was no one even close to him, the surrounding were normal, the music carried on its usual tune. 'What the hell just happened?' That voice felt so close and clear but there was no one around. He looked down to his hands but the ribbon and bangle was gone, he was sat down on the bench with the arena behind him. 'This isn't right.' He closed his eyes and tried to calm himself.

"Are you ok man, you look a little pale."

Cloud looked up to see one of the Gold Saucer janitors watching him as he cleaned the floor. He was in his 50's with a large white mustache and was wearing the typical Gold Saucer uniform and cap.

"Yeah I'm fine I just feel a little dizzy, think I'm just a bit nervous." He hoped the janitor wouldn't recognize him, why would Cloud Strife be feeling nervous before a fight?

"There's a water fountain over there if it helps." The janitor pointed over to where it was located. "Maybe you just need to cool down."

"Ok thanks." Cloud turned his head back down, he didn't feel like talking right now.

The janitor walked on happy that the floor was clean enough in this area but gave Cloud a worried look as he moved on.

"Wait a minuet." Cloud whispered. "Didn't I already do that?"

He stood up and walked over to the benches opposite and saw his bangle lying on top of one. The same pink ribbon was wrapped around it. Cloud picked the bangle up and strapped it onto his arm. 'This is too strange.' He hesitated in picking up the ribbon hoping that the same thing that happened before didn't happen again now. Closing his eyes Cloud quickly reached out and grasped hold of hit, he held his breath waiting for a reaction. 'Nothing.' He shook his head realizing how foolish he was acting. 'I think I'm going crazy.'

Cloud turn back and started to head back to the restaurant putting the ribbon in his pocket. 'Think I'll keep this to myself, at least for now, if I think I'm going crazy the others surely will.' He looked down at his watch. 'Great I've kept them waiting twenty minuets already, Tifa's going to kill me.' From then he started into a fast run back to the lift shoot. 'Maybe if she does think I'm going crazy she'll go easy on me.' Cloud smiled to himself. 'Doubtful.'

__________________________________________

"What's keeping him? It's been twenty minuets and he still aint back." Cid was getting impatient. Tifa had told them to wait until Cloud got back before they ordered but now even Red was getting tired of waiting.

"He said he'd left something back in the stadium but it shouldn't take this long." Tifa was getting worried a trip to the stadium and back shouldn't take more than five minuets, something was wrong.

"Come on Teef I'm starving." Yuffie moaned.

Tifa sighed realizing Cloud was probably just got caught up watching one of the fights. It's just like him to wander off a do his own thing not thinking off anything else. "Ok it looks like he's not coming back lets just order."

"Great it's about time." Barret signaled the waiter over.

As he did Cloud came running up towards them looking out of breath. "H-Hey I'm not late am I?"

"Late? We've been waiting twenty minuets for your spiky ass to show up." Replied Cid.

"What kept you?" Asked Red.

Cloud finally caught his breath and was trying to think of an excuse that didn't make him sound nuts. "Well you see I got caught up em yeah you see there was this well em and there was a..." 'Yeah great now you really sound like your sane.' He kicked himself mentally for not coming up with something on the way.

"Hey what's this?" Yuffie pulled the pink object that was hanging out of Cloud's pocket. "A ribbon?"

"It's nice Cloud but I don't think it's your colour." Cid commented.

"Very funny but it's not mine." Cloud snatched the ribbon out of Yuffie's hands and put it back in his pocket.

"Yeah yeah so who she then? I take it that's why you're late." Cid was enjoying this, it had been a while since he had been able to torment Cloud about something.

"Yeah come on Cloud spill it." Demanded Yuffie.

Tifa looked at him with a confused and slightly hurt expression on her face. 'What had he been doing back there?'

"Cloud..." She started.

"Look it's nothing! There is no she I just found it!" Cloud shouted. "Ok?"

"Hey were just messin with ya Spike." Explained Cid. "It's just a bit strange you know."

"Can we just drop it I really don't feel like talking right now." Cloud sat down next to Barret who had strangely kept quite.

"What do you think happened?" Tifa whispered to Red.

"I'm not sure but it doesn't look like Cloud wants to tell us right now so there's not much we can do." This didn't comfort Tifa in anyway but she new he was right, until Cloud wanted to talk they weren't going to find out what happened and knowing Cloud that could take awhile.

_________________________________________________________

'Pain in the ass Tifa.' Reno was slumped over the bar going through his eighth round of drinks. Usually even he wouldn't get this drunk but it was the only way so he could ignore Elena's moaning over him loosing. 'Even for her this was a new level of complaining. And it's not as if Rude did much better loosing to that freaky vampire ex-Turk.'

'Pain in the ass Tifa.' I can't believe I lost to her, she saw that I was going for the nightstick at the end and managed to come up with a counterattack in an instant.' He rubbed his chest it was still sore from where she kicked him, could have been worse though a lot worse he'd seen Tifa put enough power into her attacks to break a person in half.

"And another thing you haven't even found a job for us in over four weeks your becoming so lazy Reno." Elena continued to scold him.

'Huh? I didn't even realize she was still talking.' Reno's eyes turned towards his drink. 'If it weren't for you I would have had to kill her years ago, its just not possible for someone to talk that much there must be and off switch somewhere.'

"Hey! Are you listening to me? Reno?" Elena realized she wasn't getting through to Reno so she decided to move as close to his ear as possible and tried again. "RENO!"

Reno leapt out of his seat nearly knocking off all the glasses on the counter and bumping into the waitress behind him. "AGH!?! Yes I'm listening." Apologizing to the waitress he sat back down and returned to his previous position.

"Good now when are you going to go and find us a job I mean its not like were getting any younger here and you should really start working on your social skills with our clients it really could use some improvement also we should look at getting you a hair cut its really starting to look a mess and you should really start to wear a tie with that shirt you look so messy." Elena continued her rant while Reno decided to try and beat himself to death with his glass.

_________________________________________________________

"Excuse me."

"Huh? Oh sure sorry lady." The guy stepped to the side letting her through, she could tell he was staring at her beauty.

"Thank you." She bowed her head and continued walking brushing her long chestnut hair back behind her shoulder.

"Don't I know you from somewhere?" The guy walked along with her with a puzzled look on his face.

"No I'm sorry."

"You sure your face looks so familiar...That's it your that Ancient from the Avalanche story err Aeris right?"

"No I'm sorry that's not me, that bitc-h-a-ahh em sorry that person I'm afraid she died in that incident." She had told hold herself back say anything to draw attention.

"Oh yes of course she was that spiky haired guys girl right, it's strange you look identical to her."

"Well I'm sorry but I must be going." Before he could reply she turned and continued walking to her destination. 'Idiot! Perhaps walking around like this wasn't the best idea its brining too much attention.'

She turned round the corner speeding up, it was bad enough Cloud didn't notice her when he picked up the ribbon but now she couldn't find him. 'What was that moron doing? He just picked it up and put it in his pocket not searching round for who put it there at all.' Cloud had walked into arena and sat down on one of the benches and then a few seconds later appeared to be having a headache and passed out. A few minuets later he awoke, walked directly to the ribbon hesitated for a second then picked it up and ran off.

'It's as if he new exactly where it was when he awoke. But how could that be?' She had only just put it there when he passed out. 'How did he know?'

Cloud was suppose to have seen the ribbon around the bangle and then looked round to see her, then she could lead him out of the Gold Saucer and then to the 'Pool'.

Her original plan was to talk to Cloud and get him to follow her but after keeping an eye on him for a while she realized that Cloud would most likely be able to tell the difference between her and the real Cetra girl. 'All that matters now is just finding him after that I can worry about how I get him to where I want.' She noticed there was a bathroom a few meters away. 'But first I need something a little more low profile.'

She walked into the men's bathroom and checked under the doors to make sure no one was around. 'Perfect.' She walked up to the mirror and concentrated closing her eyes. A few moments later the she opened them and starred at the reflection.

"That's right." He straightened his tie and pulled a comb out of his pocket and straightened his short red hair unbuttoning his long brown coat. 'Now I just need to stay like this until I find Cloud and then I can come up with a new way to get him away.' Happy that his hair was neat enough he walked out of the bathroom and continued to the where the new restaurant was located, it was the only place he hadn't been yet.

"Oh, Mister Tysall!" A voice shouted.

'Great now what? Figures somebody would recognize me.'

"What are you doing here?" The short, black haired, well-dressed businessman walked up to him.

"Ah Stevens its you, I'm currently tying up some loose ends here, have you made the appointment with the pilot yet?" Tysall was annoyed that he hadn't gone five minuets with out been stopped again but then again he did need to talk to Stevens about getting into contact with the pilot.

"Yes sir I just met him earlier this morning and have arranged an appointment for next week." Stevens took his work very seriously and didn't stop until he had the job done, even now the man had a pile of papers stacked in his hands. Although Tysall couldn't stand the mans personality he was still the most reliable staff he had and someone Tysall new could count on to get a task done.

"Very good. All other preparations are going well?" He asked.

"Yes sir all the stages for the satellite are been checked over by me personally. We should be able to bring it online within a few weeks if not sooner." Again the businessman looked smug at his achievements straightening his tie and lifting up his chin.

"Excellent but now if you'll excuse me I have other business to attended to." Tysall bowed his head and turned to leave, Stevens did the same nearly dropping all of his papers.

'At this rate I'm never going to find Cloud.' Tysall walked over to the restaurant area figuring even if Cloud wasn't there he could at least get a drink, he was sure he overheard one of the staff back at the office talking about it. 'Getting a drink to relax? I'm becoming more like these Cetra everyday.' He shuddered at the thought.

He entered the bar which was much bigger than he expected, all the furniture was very expensive and well kept and the usual drunken mobs were nowhere to be seen. 'Well except for the guy sat next to the noisy blond.' Tysall walked over to the end of the bar where no one was sat and took a seat ordering his drink from the barkeeper. 'Wait a minuet I recognize those two, Reno and Elena of the Turks I'd completely forgotten about them, perhaps they may come in handy later.' For the right price the Turks could be used incase anything didn't go to plan.

"RENO!" The girl shouted bringing Tysall out of his thoughts. 'Annoying girl, on the other hand I doubt that this lot could help with anything and I'm sure that in a fight the three Turks couldn't match up to all the members of Avalanche.' He took a sip of his drink not very pleased with the way things were turning out today. By now he was suppose to have Cloud at the 'Pool' and be ready to proceed to stage 2 but at this rate even if he did find Cloud it wouldn't be until tomorrow until that could happen.

He could still enter Cloud's mind like before but he seemed to be able to fight back now much stronger. Before he could control Cloud's movements and influence his mind. Now he was only able to enter his mind for a short time otherwise Cloud would realize and fight back. 'Oh well after tomorrow Cloud will have his wish and be free of the cells, and I will be whole again.' He glanced over at the two Turks again.

'Maybe the Turks will come in handy, they have a knack of bumping into Cloud and the others in the past maybe if I just followed Reno for a while he might lead me straight to them.' It was better than walking around just guessing. He looked over at Reno who was face down on the table beating his head with an empty glass while the girl continued to talk.

'Yes I'm not sure there is anything else this lot can do without messing it up.' Tysall continued to wait for the Turks to leave while sipping his drink.

_________________________________________________________

"That was great!" Announced Barret pushing his plate away.

"Yeah I don't think I could eat another bite." Yuffie added.

"It feels good not to cook for once." Tifa usually had to make the meals her self and for the customers so it was nice for a change once in a while, although she wasn't alone Cloud would try to help but really that guy couldn't even use microwave to save his life. 'Speaking of Cloud.' She turned to look him.

Cloud had been silent all through the meal sat there in deep thought. 'What I wouldn't give to be able to read his mind.' The countless times Cloud had stood there staring into space she couldn't help but wonder what was on his mind, or who for that matter.

"So now what are we going to do?" Red asked.

Everyone look to their former leader. Even after defeating Sephiroth everyone still kinda felt as Cloud as the leader although know one understood why especially Cloud.

"I don't know, whose fight is coming up next?" Cloud asked emotionlessly.

"Yours I think." Tifa pulled the list out of her pocket and checked it over. "Yup it's you."

"Ok." Cloud said simply.

Everyone sat there in silence expecting Cloud to say more but he folded his arms and returned to his thoughts. 'Who is that? First the incident back in the stadium and now I can feel someone trying to enter my thoughts.' Cloud knew of three minds that could enter his and all were dead thanks to him, Sephiroth, Jenova and Aeris. Even though he personally did not kill Aeris he still felt responsible for her death, he was her bodyguard and he let her down, he was suppose to protect her.

Anyway it wasn't Aeris he was sure of that. When Aeris had entered his mind she did not try to hide her presence in fact she wanted to make it clear to Cloud why she was there and what she was going to do. Of coarse what she did ended up killing her. As for the other two Cloud doubted that even with their power they could not control him from beyond the grave. 'Look at me I'm doing it again, I'm suppose to be having fun here today.'

"Do you think we should head back to the arena?" Vincent asked breaking the silence, he stood up not waiting for an answer.

"Yeah it seems a bit pointless waiting around here." Cid pointed out joining Vincent. Reeve put a substancial amount of Gil on the table and stood up too, the others got up and started to make there way to the lift, except for Cloud.

"You coming Cloud?" Tifa put her hand on his shoulder squeezing it gently. Cloud looked up at her and could tell by the expression on her face that she was worried by the way he was acting. 'Snap out of it Cloud, I can think about all this later right now I should just relax and have some fun.'

"Yeah let's go." He smiled at her and stood up, she instantly returned the smile. "It's about time I won this competition, I mean it's not like anyone can beat me." Tifa could tell Cloud was feeling better simply because he was trying to tease her again.

"You must be kidding, what about me I can kick your scrawny ass any day." Tifa protested. Even though she knew Cloud wouldn't tell her what was wrong she felt better now he was back to his normal cocky self.

"Yeah sure you mean like the last time you tried." He pointed to her nose grinning. They slowly followed everyone to the lift both trying to keep from laughing while they playfully fought each other.

"Looks like he's back to normal." Barret looked back noticing Tifa and Cloud playing.

Cid looked back at them adjusting the cigarette in his mouth to talk. "Yeah I guess Tif managed to get through to him, sometimes I wonder why she puts up with him."

"The same reason why Shera puts up with you." Barret explained.

"%&$£! The hell's that suppose to mean?" Cid asked furiously.

"Notta thing." Barret just grinned as he jumped into the lift shoot.

_______________________________________________________

"Where's Rude gone off to?" Asked Reno looking round for his shiny headed friend.

Elena looked at him surprised that he was actually conscious. "He went down earlier to watch the fights."

Reno stared down at his glass not sure how long he'd been asleep. "Well I guess I'll go join him." He put his hand on his head feeling the pain from his growing hangover. "I think I've had enough of this stuff for awhile." Putting the glass down he stood up and slowly made his way to the door feeling the full force of gravity as he walked along.

Elena quickly paid the barkeeper and ran after Reno. 'Why do I put up with him?'

_______________________________________________________

'There moving.' Tysall stood up noticing the two Turks heading out the door. He stood up putting enough Gil on the table for his drink and ran after them. 'It's about time I've been waiting here half an hour.'

He followed them to the lift shoot where they proceeded to the Stadium level. He quickly followed making sure though that they didn't see him.

Landing on his feet Tysall looked round to see where the two Turk's when ran off to. 'Where are they?'

He walked along trying to pick them out of the crowd when his eyes fell on the arena next to him. 'That's him! It's Cloud.'

Cloud was stood inside the arena his sword un-holstered, he was coldly staring at his opponent who didn't seem much of a challenge to him. 'Perfect.'

Tysall disappeared under shadows of one of the stands, this was his chance Cloud was alone he could be lured away without his friends, and this made things even easier than he had hoped.

"First however I think changing into something a little more appealing to my spiky haired friend is required." Grinning the feature on his body once again turn to the soft slender form of the once known flower girl.

"Cloud you're the last piece of my puzzle." She said brushing her hair aside. "And once complete you and all your companions will pay for the pain you have caused me over the past 2000 years."

_______________________________________________________